Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

Kurt and Paul F. are so good that I felt a little sorry for the pointsme winner, but she did OK and was at least as funny as some of the performers they've had on recently. Her entry for FTW was the best and made me laugh out loud. It reminded me of one of my favorite commercials.

I love Paul F. I just want everyone to know.

• Love 2

I was distracted and didn't hear an anti-trailer comment OR a fuck you, but I really hate it when people act insulting about trailer parks or other low cost housing, so if there was a fuck you reaction, I support whoever the heckler is.

20 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was distracted and didn't hear an anti-trailer comment OR a fuck you, but I really hate it when people act insulting about trailer parks or other low cost housing, so if there was a fuck you reaction, I support whoever the heckler is.

It was on Wednesday's ep when Chris said the Clinton library looked like a doublewide.

• Love 1
(edited)

Bubba Gump Shrimp = vomit joke! I'm glad it was Flula who was penalized for violating the Cheesecake Factory treaty. He's significantly unfunny to me.

My antipathy towards Alex Baldwin just increased. He just can't help the smug entitlement.

Edited by Lord Donia

Yeah, I agree about Baldwin. I keep trying to forgive him for whatever his most recent BS is, but then he adds more to the shitpile and I go back to wishing even more fervently than before that he'd shut up or grow up or both.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

My antipathy towards Alex Baldwin just increased. He just can't help the smug entitlement.

It baffles me how the guy can be a talented comedy actor, yet posses no discernible sense of humor.

• Love 3

Because the lectern was in the way, I couldn't get a good look at the fanny pack Flula was hawking. Ah, but the internet, she gives and gives. Srsly, though, you couldn't give me one of those fugly things.

I coulda sworn Flula has won the internet before. He has, right? Wasn't he even in the tournament of champions?

• Love 1

Oh - I seriously thought Chris said "Boobs" fanny pack, and I figured that was why they couldn't show it on TV. LOL. 

attica Flula was not in the Tournament of Champions (or at least he never won to advance to the finals). The finalists were Paul F. Tompkins (winnner), Jesse Joyce and Kyle Kinane.

Thanks for the fanny pack pictures. I agree, they're horrible. Not even funny horrible. Maybe I just don't get it.

41 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I seriously thought Chris said "Boobs" fanny pack, and I figured that was why they couldn't show it on TV.

That made me laugh. This show let Chris give the finger without blurring it, so I wouldn't but it past them to show a boobs fanny pack someday, too, though.

Now I think someone should make a fanny pack that is butt shaped. Truth in advertising!

(edited)
On 3/7/2017 at 8:03 AM, attica said:

Because the lectern was in the way, I couldn't get a good look at the fanny pack Flula was hawking. Ah, but the internet, she gives and gives. Srsly, though, you couldn't give me one of those fugly things.

"It's called 'power clashing' and I do it because I can."

tumblr_m41j4mc7LT1rw3syko1_500.png

Edited by PatternRec

"Huh. Who's the tall guy? ... contributor to the Huffington Post ... Nick Simmons, Nick Simmons ... he looks so familiar ... new comedian? ... have I seen him in the show before?

OMFG, it's Gene Simmons' kid! I watched that danged reality show for six years.

My brain, I tell ya.

• Love 1

I have what is perhaps an irrational fondness for Jim Norton. I saw him at a wee comedy club once, and he made my friend laugh so hard (and so loud, with audible snorts, gasps, and yowls) that when he finished, he thanked the crowd, "...and especially [pointing] YOU, sir." Which further made my friend's night. I don't even know if I think he's funny, but he slayed my buddy and showed gratitude for his filling the room with laffs. Points!

I like Norton as a panelist; he actually tries some impromptu jokes instead of relying solely on whatever's in those podium teleprompters.

I watched his Netflix special yesterday and while I laughed a couple of times, I gotta think his "I'm a filthy perv" humor has a fairly narrow audience.

Hardwick is so inconsistent in eliminating / saving third place comedian. At least have the pretense of a studio vote...I thought he would save Cleese because Norton hogged all the points....

• Love 1

I think that's what I mean about wanting it to be more rare. If the format of the show is officially  "only the two with the highest scores do the last question" then that should be true >97% of the time. But since the nature of the game itself is pretty much totally arbitrary and subjective, it does make sense to me that once in a blue moon he might be like, nah, whatevs, too close, everyone play the end. But right now he does that too frequently to make sense so they should either completely eliminate the concept of "only top two" at the end, or he should stop doing the saves so much. They're in a weird no man's land in between that I find annoying.

• Love 2

Do you mean after the Matisyahu joke?

Wait nevermind. Now I've seen the whole thing and I realize Yasser was upset at several audience comments. If you mean right at the end, I think the guy said "get rid of Yasser" (which is middle guy's name). Although listening, he just as easily might've said "Adsit" not "Yasser"...and Adsit did start to pretend to walk away too. So...I'm not sure.

5 hours ago, EATherrian said:

What did the audience guy say that upset the middle comedian?  I couldn't hear it.

When he shouted to keep Melissa? He said "call it Affirmative Action."

2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

and Adsit did start to pretend to walk away too. So...I'm not sure.

Adsit pretended to walk away because as a white male affirmative action wouldn't apply. 

Also, that's just Yassir being Yassir with the faux outrage.

I have enjoyed Melissa on SNL, but I thought she was not a particularly funny panelist. I would've been fine with her being cut. Though I'd also be fine to just change the format of the show so all 3 go to the final round. After all, the last-place panelist who was supposed to have gotten eliminated seems to win a good percentage of the time!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, paigow said:

Is Hardwick planting hecklers in studio? 

I wondered about that, too. The show is pretty bluntly manipulated, so I don't even think I care that much, to be honest. I'm just glad they got rid of the 3rd wheel act/special guest schtick which they were experimenting with for a while. I think they may get bored with the show and that's why they keep tweaking the format. I've decided to roll with it. The show does get boring sometimes, so even if some of their attempts to change it up are failures, I'm kind of ok with it because at least they're trying, and I kind of get why they want to make it better.

On 3/18/2017 at 11:10 AM, trow125 said:

I have enjoyed Melissa on SNL, but I thought she was not a particularly funny panelist. I would've been fine with her being cut. Though I'd also be fine to just change the format of the show so all 3 go to the final round. After all, the last-place panelist who was supposed to have gotten eliminated seems to win a good percentage of the time!

I agree. Melissa is awesome and I love her on SNL but her strength as a comedian right now is impressions rather than joke delivery, which is what @midnight is all about. 

edit: I also wish they would stop not eliminating the third guest because it messes with my "guess which joke was by which comedian" game I play. 

Edited by PatternRec
1 hour ago, PatternRec said:

I also wish they would stop not eliminating the third guest because it messes with my "guess which joke was by which comedian" game I play. 

Do you guess solely by content? I think their body language frequently gives it away.

4 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Do you guess solely by content? I think their body language frequently gives it away.

Both haha. I take it you play too? :D

When there's only two finalists I can know exactly if I was right or wrong, but with three I get one or none confirmed depending if I guessed the person who won. 

• Love 1

It sounded like just the one person, making the same hooting sound every. single. time.  I'm surprised at the restraint of everyone else in the room.  Okay, maybe you don't want to get caught on camera suffocating someone, but surely there was time during one of the commercial breaks.

Another non-elimination.....Just drop the pretense already!!!

These comedians are paid a flat appearance fee, not by the minute... Hardwick is wasting money / productivity by eliminating panelists.

I suspect CH knows the jokes for FTW, and he doesn't want to eliminate the comedian with the superior one if they end up with the low score.

But what do I know?

Here's what I know: Sasheer had not only great jokes, but incredible delivery. 

I suspect CH knows the jokes for FTW, and he doesn't want to eliminate the comedian with the superior one if they end up with the low score.

I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.

OMG - I have only seen Stephanie Beatriz on Brooklyn 99 so I have never heard her real voice before. I couldn't believe it - the voice she uses for her character on B99 is about three octaves lower than her natural voice. I thought she must have been on helium, it was so funny to hear her talk "normal." 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, attica said:

Here's what I know: Sasheer had not only great jokes, but incredible delivery. 

She's awesome. She does a lot more writing than performing on SNL and you can tell here that joke writing/telling are her strong points. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

OMG - I have only seen Stephanie Beatriz on Brooklyn 99 so I have never heard her real voice before. I couldn't believe it - the voice she uses for her character on B99 is about three octaves lower than her natural voice. I thought she must have been on helium, it was so funny to hear her tal

Same! 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ABay said:

CH knowing the FTW answers ahead of time would certainly explain why the panelist who would've been eliminated wins so often.

This could be a conspiracy that requires a Congressional Investigation. The winner is pre-determined? Who else knows? Putin? Illuminati? Hydra?

• Love 1

Maybe it's not CH that knows the answers. Maybe it's a booth person, who tells Chris in his earpiece to spare the ax. Perhaps Chris is just a tool of Big Media.

(Is it weird that I often say 'Hail Hydra-tion!" when I put on facial moisturizer?)

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Add me to the list of people who couldn't get over Stephanie'svoice, my bf who loves B99 didn't even recognize her for a second because it was so different.

There's a B99 episode where someone tells Diaz to act cheerful and she does this fake voice in response. Now I have to find that scene and see if that's her real voice. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I could've sworn I'd seen her on a chat show or two before and her normal voice is higher than Diaz's but lower than how she sounded on this show the other night. So I was a wee bit puzzled.

First hit on youtube seems pretty much the same: