Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

Is anyone keeping track of statistics? PFT might have gotten the scoring record, not counting episodes where Hardwick just gives everyone 10,000 at the same time.

Is anyone keeping track of statistics? PFT might have gotten the scoring record, not counting episodes where Hardwick just gives everyone 10,000 at the same time.

I watched the extended version of this episode on the Comedy Central web site, and that bit about the Galactic Cap went on for about 5 minutes, and Paul F. got in some doozies, so he was racking up a lot of points off-camera and fast.

I would LOVE to see them put the extended versions up on CC on a regular basis! That was awesome. And interesting to see the scores in "real time."

I'm looking forward to Steve Agee on Monday's show, since he was the person who came up with my all time favorite @Midnight joke (the one about "Pervert Dave" and his dog, "Sad Jeff").

The recent ep with PFT was one of my favorites. It's rare that I don't get the feeling of at least one contestant "trying too hard", but that one hit it. The guy with the ridiculous foot-in-trash-can thing was so idiotic that it came back around the other side and actually worked for me. And the female was legit funny, not tee-heeing over every comment or or adorably requesting points. (I hate that crap, from either gender.) Something about that trio seemed more comfortable, almost mature? and watching Chris Hardwick genuinely lose it was hilarious. Sometimes you can see him politely smile-grimacing at a mediocre comment, but on this week's PFT ep he was practically tearing up.

(edited)

The recent ep with PFT was one of my favorites. It's rare that I don't get the feeling of at least one contestant "trying too hard", but that one hit it. The guy with the ridiculous foot-in-trash-can thing was so idiotic that it came back around the other side and actually worked for me. And the female was legit funny, not tee-heeing over every comment or or adorably requesting points. (I hate that crap, from either gender.) Something about that trio seemed more comfortable, almost mature? and watching Chris Hardwick genuinely lose it was hilarious. Sometimes you can see him politely smile-grimacing at a mediocre comment, but on this week's PFT ep he was practically tearing up.

To me, the bit with foot-in-trash-guy (Brett Gelman) was that it was a meta-comedy bit--in other words it was about the process of a comedian making a fool of himself rather than about anything he actually said or did.  

Elsewhere on the board (Last Comic Standing forum) we drifted into a side discussion about what an incompetent lazy piece of shit comedian Jeff Dunham is. That's because he does this racist shit without any subtext where he's the idiot for saying it (admittedly through the mouth of a puppet).  Compare that to Don Rickles, where it's ALL subtext (we're supposed to love Don, but be horrified by what he's saying).  Gelman was doing the same kind of thing, but with being stupid and loud instead of racist.  It's about him allowing people to laugh at HIM rather than at something he says.

Edited by Kromm

Ice Cube had one or two good quips but overall was flat and just did not belong on the show for me.  Not his fault as it just isn't his platform imo.  But dang did I get annoyed real fast with the whole "don't make Ice angry" bit. 

I wonder if Hill and Tatum would have shown up pre-Hill foot-in-mouth episode.   Since Tatum always looks like he is recovering from a binge of Red Bull, beer and protein supplements to the point that he could play a young Boris Yeltsin, neither he nor Hill did anything for me last night. 

And maybe it was my annoyance levels raised by so many other things last night but I now know I find Chris's "wipe wipe wipe" annoying.  Not him saying it every night per se.  But that to me, he clearly thinks we as an audience love it and find it cute.   If he would just do it and not include the whole "I'm doing IT now, wink wink this is so inside joke aren't we cool?" thing I get I'd be fine. 

And while the "win" of course means nothing  and I hardly think Ice Cube deserves the sole "honor" I hope the automatic win goes to ____ was a never to be repeated occurrence.  Slight but grating as well.

That one mad snort. All the hastags were pretty good last night. I always look online at the top viewer submissions from the night before and guess which one is going to be shown on air -- and I'm always wrong! Ah, sense of humor. So individual.

I actually did enjoy Ice Cube a bit last night. I thought quite a few of his answers were pretty funny, and his facial expressions were priceless. I wasn't expecting much, but he pleasantly surprised me.

It's funny how the comics always seem to play to the audience instead of the camera.

I'm hoping we get some good viewer submissions making fun of Chris, just to see him squirm. I was kind of happy already with "you suck 20 dicks!"

666: Possession was good!

Last night was one of the baffling outcomes. If the middle comic was saying such hilarious things that she outscored Maria Bamford, it would've been nice if they'd left her comments in. With what was shown, it didn't feel ike she deserved the spot more than Bamford. The guy was a shoe-in.

Is it my imagination, or does the second entry in FTW always win now?

Sure seems that way. The audience is primed to laugh by the first person. I wonder how the editors choose which answer to show in which order?

(edited)

I like Ali Wong did it last time. She poised her joke as if it was coming from a guy so there would be no audience bias. She started her joke with "My Wife"

Edited by BDWJ1986
  • Love 1

I think it's always been that way. Sometimes I think the first one is obviously better, but the second gets the bigger audience reaction anyway. I really think they should do something to fix this, because it's just too much of a predictable pattern at this point.

Has Hardwick changed his face? He looks both scruffier and redder than he used to. I thought it was my TV at first, but then I realized no one else looks that way, so it has to be him.

I don't see any difference in CH's face, but it's hard to say without a side by side comparison.

Either I was just not in the mood or last night's panel was just not that funny.

I didn't think it was the funniest episode, but "Cherry Poppins" made me choke-laugh.

It must take a lot of work and timing for Chris to get his beardly scuff exactly right every day. Just shave, already.

• Love 1

I actually thought Hardwick looked ill both shows this week. It's not like I haven't looked worse many times myself, but usually TV covers that stuff up with make up.He had actual raccoon eyes. And for a person who I generally think is frighteningly thin, he looked kind of puffy in the face at the same time. Sorry, man! I hope you're okay. It's hard for me to believe they're making him look like that on purpose (affected beard shadow aside).

I appreciate the attempt to choose some games that aren't 100% sexual innuendo. I just hope it doesn't turn into toilet memes as a primary alternative.

It's been referenced so many times on the show that I had to rectify my cultural ignorance and look up "two girls, one cup." You know that saying "ignorance is bliss"? Yeah.

(edited)

Oh! That reminds me, I finally looked up that grapefruit blowjob instructional video. It was pretty much as advertised so not sure why the 3 panelists looked so horrified. Well, except the sounds.

You're right, possibilities -- now that you mention it, Chris does look a little haggard/sick. There are many articles where he speaks about his past and being so overweight and depressed. I'm sorry, but he looks like a pretty normal-sized person to me in his before pictures. His face looks puffy compared to now, but that's what? Maybe a size 36-38 suit? He may have gone too far the other way now and is verging on unhealthily thin.

I like Chris and am not at all trying to bash him. It's more a motherly thing.

I actually tweeted a few @BadBeatlesSongs last night -- it was a fun one. None of them made it to the top 10 lists, of course, but I still like Back In the Kazakhstan.

Edited by lordonia

It's been referenced so many times on the show that I had to rectify my cultural ignorance and look up "two girls, one cup." You know that saying "ignorance is bliss"? Yeah.

It's one of those things the Internet overall caught onto a few years ago, much to their regret, and i think the people who maybe weren't as attached to the hip to the Internet zeitgeist back then were probably the lucky ones.

It's funny how after all this talk about the 2nd answer always winning, the 1st answer has won every night this week so far (and rightfully so). 

Chris drank heavily when he was younger and has been sober for, I believe, 10-11 years which I think accounts for his weight loss at the time. He has looked tired, but from listening to his podcast, it seems like he overworks himself a bit and it's hard for him to not be working. I think he is doing some shows this weekend so he may just be pulling himself in a bunch of different directions. 

• Love 1
(edited)

There are many articles where he speaks about his past and being so overweight and depressed. I'm sorry, but he looks like a pretty normal-sized person to me in his before pictures. His face looks puffy compared to now, but that's what? Maybe a size 36-38 suit? He may have gone too far the other way now and is verging on unhealthily thin.

I actually wonder if he's just running himself ragged. Most of the weight he lost years ago was because he quit drinking heavily, so I think now is his normal size. I actually met him two years ago after a live show, and he's just a small guy - he's about my height (5'6) and had a very small frame. But between the show doing better than he thought (I'm sure he didn't think they'd be at 100 episodes already), plus his podcast, plus his standup, I think the poor guy is just tired. The two weeks off will probably do him some good.

ETA - I see weightyghost and I are sharing a brain tonight.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

Despite the fact that he won, still can't stand Chris D'Elia -- it's not just his character on Undateable that isn't funny. Plus his inside jokes with Brian Callan were annoying.  And all of them weren't even subtle about reading their answers from the podium.

Callan describing D'Elia as looking like an Albanian sex-trafficker was pretty much spot on.

• Love 2

I agree with Chris. He looked terrible in his Peter Hardwick drinking days, compared to his Singled Out and Nerdist days, especially when you know how unhealthy he was at that time.

And Chris is very adamant that he is 5'10". I think he's just built in a way that makes him look short. I have the opposite thing going - petite but people swear I'm 5'9".

I don't know about the tape schedules, but I know he's been on the road and at festivals. He was here a few weeks ago. Maybe he is running himself too thin and/or he just got too much sun.

As for tonight's show. Chris D'Elia sure is aggressive. It reminds me of Dane Cook a bit. It was a bit amusing, but wore thin very quickly. It didn't even seem like he and Brian had that much of a history to warrant those jokes, unlike when Jonah Ray or Marc Maron come on.

And Chris is very adamant that he is 5'10".

Well, I can see why he'd be adamant, because you don't want to be a short man in Hollywood, but unless I grew 4 inches for one night only, he's 5'8 tops on a good day.  Which isn't a bad thing, but it does make sense on why he looks like a smaller guy.

This week has not been all that stellar to me.  There were some parts on the Wednesday show where I was laughing at the set-up more than the comedian's jokes.  I do have to say though, I thought David Wain should've won - simple joke, but I thought it was hilarious.

The panel last night kept playing to the audience and talking over each other and Chris in an un-funny way (although I'm sure they thought differently). It was chaotic to watch and I wish the editors had been able to excise more of it. The theme episodes where all the panelists are friends or work together or whatever always seem to devolve into free-for-alls.

• Love 1

I can understand Chris D'Elia being off-putting. I really get everyone's dislike of him. But I guess he just doesn't bother me as much? I think last night would have been a much better show to see live, because the editing did it no favors.

(edited)

I suspect the show's writers give the panelists some answers, or at least suggestions, or maybe the questions in advance. Especially for the first "this happened today" segment, because all three of them have to answer and the first person only get 3 seconds to think about it. Chris is always careful to say the "first live challenge" of the night when they get to it.

At least the three panelists last night didn't go all TFM on us just because they worked together, so thanks for that. We don't get your in jokes, people!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I suspect the show's writers give the panelists some answers, or at least suggestions, or maybe the questions in advance. Especially for the first "this happened today" segment, because all three of them have to answer and the first person only get 3 seconds to think about it. Chris is always careful to say the "first live challenge" of the night when they get to it.

At least the three panelists last night didn't go all TFM on us just because they worked together, so thanks for that. We don't get your in jokes, people!

I've often heard the guests say something like "oh, hold on" or "I wasn't ready yet" or "how about this one" while looking down at the screen on their podium. After the first week, I figured out what was going on. Not that it bothers me.

• Love 1
(edited)

Greg Proops also made a quip about "scripted improv." My theory is that before a show the writers and the comedians brainstorm for the fast games.

Last night was fabulous! "Slotrow Hornbath" made me snort.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

Best. Episode. Ever.

I actually locked that puppy on my DVR. I do not want to lose the beautifulness that is these three performers. It's going to be hard to top. "Slotrow Hornbath" is priceless, and would have been on any ep, but it was just one of many.

• Love 3

Part of what made the Glaser/Funches/Benson episode so awesome was that you could tell that Chris Hardwick was genuinely laughing at the jokes. You can tell when he's giving a half-hearted pity laugh, but for that episode, he really looked like he was actually laughing.

Part of what made the Glaser/Funches/Benson episode so awesome was that you could tell that Chris Hardwick was genuinely laughing at the jokes. You can tell when he's giving a half-hearted pity laugh, but for that episode, he really looked like he was actually laughing.

Also - he was really joining in on the creation of the jokes, like #ruinaholocaustmovie ==> Shindler's Fist.  I could almost see the thought bubble forming over his head.

Having Funches/Glaser/Benson in the early in the week really made the following two episodes feel like let-downs.

I like the My Drunk Kitchen series, but man, Hannah Hart was getting on my nerves last night. She clearly thinks she's absolutely hilarious, but oof, her jokes fell flat.

• Love 1