Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight - General Discussion

Skyfall
  • Start Topic

Hardwick is a Point Whore and takes the whole thing too casually!  Points should matter more and shouldn't be tossed around like Candy!

I will say that the whole situation also smacks a bit of Drew Carey's "The Points Don't Matter" riff he used to do on Who's Line Is It Anyway.  Dammit, at least on that show the points weren't shown floating below them all of the time--it was all 100% in Drew's head so it was CLEAR they didn't matter!

This is of interest.  @Midnight will actually be doing "on the road" episodes at the South Beach Comedy Festival (in Miami Beach).

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/02/chris-hardwick-bringing-midnight-to-miamis-south-beach-comedy-festival/

Comedy Central’s 2014 South Beach Comedy Festival is set for this April in Miami Beach; In its 9th year, we’re sure that bright skies and sunny beaches are only part of the equation for this festival going annually for almost a decade (in other words, the comedy part of the comedy festival must be pretty great). Only part of this year’s line-up has been announced, but along with W. Kamau Bell, Mike Epps, Joe Rogan, Nick Swardson, and Chelsea Handler is our very own Chris Hardwick.
If you’re in or remotely near Miami Beach from Tuesday, April 1st to Sunday, April 6th. Tickets go on sale at southbeachcomedyfestival.com and livenation.com this Friday, February 7th at 10 am ET. More acts are to be announced soon, but you can catch Chris hosting @midnight Live with special guests on April 4th at The Colony Theater in Miami Beach at 8 pm and 10 pm.

Hardwick is a Point Whore and takes the whole thing too casually!  Points should matter more and shouldn't be tossed around like Candy!

Well, it IS his show after all...

It's a very subjective thing to judge, and trust me, I don't always agree with his choices about the audience response, both in regular play and after the 'wipe,Wipe, WIPE' thing. But I AM happy to see the contestants get some exposure. There are comedians that I'd never heard of popping up here that I'm loving.

They also can't take points all that seriously, because they don't show every question and answer -he said on a recent podcast that they film something like 32 minutes that's cut down to 22 for broadcast. Which is why you'll notice the points jumping around if you look closely.

• Love 1

For me the points are irrelevant and the scoring is just for fun.  I just want to hear the funny answers.  I'm amused when Hardwick awards 2000 points to someone on a whim.

Hardwick himself said it was a fake game show that was just an excuse to get funny people together and have a laugh.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3

Just curious -- does anybody know how much of the show is scripted in advance? For instance, do the comedians get the chance to come up with some of the material before the cameras start rolling? And do the show's writers ever contribute to the comedians' responses? I know most comedians are pretty quick-witted folks, but it can't all be off the cuff, can it?

The fact stated above that the show runs longer than the 22 minutes broadcast reminds me of "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me," NPR's news quiz. I've been to a handful of tapings and they often run 90 minutes, cut down to about 50 for radio. Of course, some of the stuff that wound up on the cutting room floor was material that I thought was hilarious, but I guess decisions have to be made.

I agree that the comedians have advance notice on some of the games, but I don't think they're having answers written for them. It'll be interesting to see how the live shows go, and if they're broadcast or available online in some format.

I know they did the show live a bunch of times at Largo and Meltdown while they were working out the format. Anyone here see any of those shows?

Chris has also mentioned bringing the show to Nashville, I think in conjunction with Vince Vaughn's festival.

I think the show needs some time in New York.  I know Hardwick runs his empire out of LA, but stand-up wise a pretty decent chunk of those people are New York based.

I would expect we'll get one or more New York shows this year, especially as Comedy Central continues to use the show to promote upcoming shows on the network.

I'm kind of amazed this many posts in that nobody really got that I was joking.  I thought use of the phrase "Point Whore" was a dead giveaway!

D'oh!  *looks up to see if gullible really was written on the ceiling*

I agree that the comedians have advance notice on some of the games, but I don't think they're having answers written for them. It'll be interesting to see how the live shows go, and if they're broadcast or available online in some format.

I think they're given the questions in advance but they have to come up with their own material.  

I don't understand how they could have Patton Oswalt, Blaine Capatch, and Brian Posehn on, mention the D&D game they used to be in with Chris Hardwick, and then not mention the podcast Nerd Poker, in which Blaine and Brian are still playing D&D. Patton even did a guest shot once!

• Love 1

Hadn't seen the episode yet with Kurt Braunohler, Amber Tamlyn, and Rhys Darby until today.  I actually think Amber got rooked on the scoring (she made a lot of funny one-off jokes that Hardwick didn't give "points!" too, where he did it everytime for Braunohler, even for some really lame comments).

Edited by Kromm

Well, I can no longer hear the Mad Men theme without meowing it in my head and possibly aloud now.  Thanks for that Chris! LOL

He's just doing what this already did...

• Love 1

I know. I just never heard it before.  Either way, it's stuck in my brain forever.

You know as far as I can tell that video is the original copy of it and yet it only has 35,000 views, in 9 months.  So really NOBODY has seen it. 

I believe the live shows aren't going to be shown on Comedy Central. As far as I know they weren't filmed at all. Chris Hardwick and Tom Lennon have been doing live versions of the show for a couple of years now at Nerdmelt and other venues, in order to get the show ready for Comedy Central. Doug Benson mentioned the live shows in Miami on his podcast and it sounded like there was no recording for release. You may be able to find crappy phone camera video on Youtube, however.

I believe the live shows aren't going to be shown on Comedy Central. As far as I know they weren't filmed at all. Chris Hardwick and Tom Lennon have been doing live versions of the show for a couple of years now at Nerdmelt and other venues, in order to get the show ready for Comedy Central. Doug Benson mentioned the live shows in Miami on his podcast and it sounded like there was no recording for release. You may be able to find crappy phone camera video on Youtube, however.

Well darn, that's disappointing.  I'll snoop around youtube...

Tonight's episode got really choppy with the editing. I don't think they realize that one can easily tell in what order things happened and how much got cut from broadcast simply by looking at the big giant numbers on everyone's podium and noticing that they're jumping around and two people got points when only one person said something and all of a sudden one guy doesn't have points at all for a couple seconds. If you're going to score people for real and show their scores, you do have to actually account for those scores.

I think this is the horse yoga video the show used a still from:

http://hathayoga.com/horse-yoga/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIYEOj4_aKs

The narration is not in English, so I don't know what it's saying, but the visuals I made up in my head consisted mostly of the horse saying: "what's this guy doing? hey-- what are you doing? you want me to...wha...t? heh, this is so weird. are the other horses seeing this? okay, dude, i'm game, but... whaaat? you're kidding! oooookay, then...."

Edited by Lisin
Added embedded video

I'm pretty sure the comedians are told the hashtag game in advance, because they usually glance down at something right before giving an answer.

Y'know it just occurred to me they call the game during the commercial the 'live challenge', implying that it's something the comedians have to do 'live' instead of having some lead time to come up with something funny.

• Love 1
(edited)

He spooned with the horse!

The yoga posing struck me as incredibly odd because (well, for obvious reasons, but...) horses don't usually lay on their backs, do they? It seemed really unnatural, like putting clothes on dogs and cats (I realize my opinion about that may be unpopular). You don't see horses laying on their backs when they sleep, for example.

Edited by bilgistic

Horses will lie on their backs to roll in dirt, which is apparently a way to relieve itching and knock off biting insects, but I've never heard of them sleeping in that position or lying still in it. I did have a cat who would lie like that, though (belly up, paws to the sky), and I don't think it's a typical lion, tiger, leopard, or other wild cat move. So, yes, I do think the "horse yoga" looks unnatural. On the other hand, I think the same of dressage.

That episode had my two favorite @midnight things: a group of people who know each other and interact well, and Ron Funches. Brent Morin was bad at the game, but he was entertaining about it.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's so cute how Chris hates being off for a week. Aw, I missed you too, Chris!

I'm not familiar with Dana Gould, but he made me snort 2-3 times.

Do you think Chris sometimes rigs the outcome? Judging the amount of laughter is pretty subjective and he could easily throw someone he liked into the finals by awarding them a 1000 points.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

A DVR malfunction deprived me of Weds show but I saw what I guess was last night's online. Paul F. Thomkins(? I enjoy him but always screw up the last name), Heather Campbell, Brett Gelman. I really did not like that last guy. For those who are intrigued by the fluctuating points, the online stream has all of the games in order.

Still giggling over "bats could get in there".