Type keyword(s) to search

The Music Of Galavant

Dare we hope for a cleaned up version of this in S2? Or something clearly in the same vein?

How about doing it as a deleted scene on the Season 2 DVD?

Hey, if we're going to dream, we might as well dream big, right?  :)

• Love 2

No idea where to put this so I'm adding it here. The promos for the new Bill Murray comedy "Rock the Kasbah" kwept referring to the cast as "comedy gold". Whenever I hear it, I keep flashing back to Galavant and King Richard/Jester singing Comedy Gold.

• Love 1

There's definitely Kiss The Girl Touches, but the Italian-style music and the restaurant setting also made me think of "Bella Noche" from Lady and the Tramp. I loved it so much. 

Actually, it's mariachi music, which is a Mexican genre.  The costumes are very Italian troubadour-ish though.  The restaurant had a vaguely Mediterranean or cantina vibe, IMO.  I'm pretty sure that the scene takes place in "Mariachi Town", one of the locations on the Kingdoms of Galavant map that Dan Fogelman shared last summer.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 1

The opening number from 2x01 was the best song from the first two episodes. The slower bit that isabella sings in it has similar notes to princess jasmine's song from the Aladdin broadway musical ("These Palace Walls"). The other songs form the first two eps were so-so for me. "world's best kiss" was second best for me. It was a nice song.

I love that many of these songs are being posted online by ABC (just on the chance something might go viral?) Okay, at the very least so we can enjoy it all multiple times.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

It's hard for me to even try ranking the season 2 songs. I feel like a lot of them are equally great, so it basically comes down what genre I personally like. All I know is that my two least favorite songs are "Different Kind of Princess" and "Off with his Shirt."

They just weren't my kind of songs. I need about another 20 years to officially rank the other ones.

• Love 1

It's hard for me to even try ranking the season 2 songs. I feel like a lot of them are equally great, so it basically comes down what genre I personally like. All I know is that my two least favorite songs are "Different Kind of Princess" and "Off with his Shirt."

They just weren't my kind of songs. I need about another 20 years to officially rank the other ones.

I have to agree, though I think that "Off With His Shirt" is growing on me.  And it's not even that I'm just such a "traditional" Disney/Broadway music fan that I can't appreciate modern/pop/rock/contemporary songs because I LOVED the "Royal Rap Battle" between Madalena & Isabella last night.  My biggest issue with "Different Kind of Princess" is that it was just so completely random and one-off and added nothing to the show overall.  Izzy's trip to see Jubilee was pointless - that enchanted tiara could have been accidentally knocked off just as easily in Hortensia.  What I appreciate about Galavant is that most of the songs fit very organically into the plot and really add an extra dimension to the characters & THEIR storylines.  If I had to rank them, I'd put "Off With His Shirt" ahead of "Different Kind of Princess" if only because it did set up the first obstacle Galavant & Richard faced in fulfilling their individual quests. 

• Love 2

3rd least favorite song so far is "Agree to Disagree." It wasn't bad, it's just one of the least memorable songs (musically/visually/etc) this season. And while Vinnie Jones' Disney song (complete with sing-along lyrics and animated birds) was a joy, I do have to take off points because his singing was weak. Definitely Points for effort though.

Hmmmm..."Build a New Tomorrow"-was that the title?-might be next on the list. I haven't blasted it on repeat compared to the other remaining songs. Then the "Oliver" song...or maybe that other one when Izzy first gets brainwashed. Didn't like the crown storyline, so the song is tainted for me a bit.

I bet my list will look completely different by the end of the season. "Off with his shirt" might move up a place, because the more I think about it, the less memorable "agree to disagree" gets.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

So far "A New Season!" has been my favorite song, with the Grease and West Side Story homages in second and third place. But I'm also very fond of "Off with His Shirt," perhaps not unexpectedly since I'm the bullseye of the target demographic for that song.

• Love 1

I'm missing the leftover songs from season one though. :(

I know, I know....always got something to complain about ....these supernerds...lol

EDIT: I'm also missing the reprises. 

Yes! I do so miss the songs they left off the S1 soundtrack.  As far as the S2 reprises - the only one that I think I'm really going to miss is "World's Best Kiss" because Karen David just KILLED it in that scene and with her vocals.

• Love 1

Yay that all the songs (except for a few reprises) are on the album!

I won't spoil myself with the songs that are in the finale.

Still have no idea what song I'm going put for no. 1 for season 2. I've listened to Sid's les miz song, "What am I feeling," "serenade, "world's best kiss," and a couple others so many times.

There's probably going to be a five-way tie for my number 1 pick. Lol. I'm only confident in my picks for my 3 least favorite songs.

• Love 1

Yay that all the songs (except for a few reprises) are on the album!

I won't spoil myself with the songs that are in the finale.

Still have no idea what song I'm going put for no. 1 for season 2. I've listened to Sid's les miz song, "What am I feeling," "serenade, "world's best kiss," and a couple others so many times.

There's probably going to be a five-way tie for my number 1 pick. Lol. I'm only confident in my picks for my 3 least favorite songs.

Oh, you're going to have some favorites from the finale songs.  There are three gems that...  Just suffice it to say, I'm more excited about Sunday's show having listened to those songs than I was before.

Mind you, I thought the WSS, Les Miz, and Grease homages were hilarious but I don't love them as much as the truly original Galavant music & songs we've gotten over the course of the two seasons.  I don't have a problem with paying homage to certain genres but I prefer just a little bit more subtlety than offered with "Giants vs. Dwarves", "Today We Rise", and "Finally".  The finale's songs are really enjoyable and not so obvious in that respect, which I like. 

The one thing that really bugs me though is that Karen David didn't get a single solo.  Every one of the other main cast members, and Ben Presley, got one, while Timothy Omundson got two, plus they had all sorts of guest stars who got their own songs but they couldn't give her one?  They gave Vinnie Jones a solo for chrissakes!  We need a third season if only to rectify that wrong, lol.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 1

How is it that "Hero's Journey" was never released and isn't part of the soundtrack? It was easily one of the best songs of the entire first season. And still makes me laugh.

The opening number for season one, with its drawn out "Gaaaaaalaaaaaavaaaant" by Jester and Madelena still gives me chills.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

Okay, now that the finale has aired, I need to ask the greater collective minds gathered here...  What song is "Will My Day Ever Come?" reminiscent of? It feels SO darned familiar and recognizable to me but I can't put my finger on it.  I know it's similar to some poignant ballad from a musical that I must have seen in my youth and it's driving me crazy that I can't place it.

On a broader note...  The songs from the finale are, as a batch, the strongest of the season - and that's saying a lot because last week's songs were spectacular.  I think what I appreciated, and I said this a couple days ago, is that none of them are too obvious of an homage.  Everyone on Twitter kept saying "love the Bibbidy-Bobbidy Boo" song, referring to "Do the D'Dew", Madalena & Wormwood's duet, but the funny thing is that both Menken & Slater have said in interviews that the song is actually a Mary Poppins homage to "Spoonful of Sugar".  I fell in love with that song the first time I heard it (and it's far better on the soundtrack - Madalena's verse was cut in the episode) and I love it even more now that I can see where they were going with it. 

And, some of the songs I didn't necessarily care for when they aired have grown on me as I've given the whole S2 soundtrack a few listens.  I think the only one that is still falling flat for me is "A Different Kind of Princess".  Tonally, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the show.  And, listening to both seasons' soundtracks straight through is also pretty awesome.  Now if only ABC would get their act together and give us the missing S1 songs.  I'd buy a bonus S1 soundtrack in a heartbeat even though I already shelled out the $10 for the 14 songs they gave us.

• Love 1

I guess I'll start off the ranking? As I'm typing this, I'm already second guessing myself on my choices, but it's better if I get some sort of list typed out.

My personal ranking from LEAST favorite to favorite songs:

28. I'm A Different Kind of Princess--didn't like the song. I didn't think it fit very well in the scheme of things. It was basically used as a means to an end (to get the crown off Izzy).

27. Agree to Disagree--this song wasn't necessarily bad. It was just...plain? forgettable?

25/26. He Was There/Build A New Tomorrow--these two (along with a handful higher up on the list) get lost on the shuffle. Not bad, not amazing. "he was there" at least had the Oliver! Homage.

24. Love makes the World Brand New--sing-along lyrics? Animated tweety birds? Gareth's own Disney Princess song? Loved this, but I docked points because Vinnie's the weakest singer.

23. A Dark Season--quite enjoyed this short number, but in terms of how many times I've listened to this song over and over again compared to the others, I'm placing it here. I loved Gal's final bit though and how the music morphed into the main theme right at the end.

22. Happiest Day of My Life--I like the tune of this, but stupid magic crown plot tainted it for me.

21. Season 2 Finale (with the monks)--nice to here this fun tune again.

20. Off with His Shirt--oddly enough, I had this placed much lower on my list just a week ago. That's how much it grew on me.

The next 4 songs are what I call the "King Richard Shuffle." While very enjoyable, they get a tad lost in the mix.

19. Will My Day Ever Come--It's a nice song with Lil' and Ol' Richard singing together.

18. My Dragon Pal and Me-- who doesn't enjoy listening to a King sing to his pet dragon? I super believe in you Tad Cooper! It's a cute, fun song.

17. Finally--points for Grease and zombies. I like Richard's and Roberta's voices together. It was another cute, catchy song.

16. If I Were A Jolly Blacksmith--my favorite Richard song of the season (not including the Giants vs Dwarves number). It was fun and hilarious, and also hit you in the feels a little bit.

I'll stop here for now. The last half are killers for me. Lots of second-guessing and rearranging.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

Didn't they want to release a second soundtrack album for the first season? I feel like there was some talk about it before the second season was even ordered. I think they wanted to release a second album to squeeze out more money from the show, but then they realized that the show wasn't that successful, postponed a second release and then actually forgot about it. Some of the unreleased numbers were some of the best numbers from the first season and I can't imagine they never intended to release them. Maybe we should just keep bothering Dan Fogelman and ABC on Twitter. I really want to own a clean version of "Hero's Journey", "Stand Up", "Love You (As Much As I Love Anyone)" and even the short versions of "Moment in the Sun".

The other missing songs were Dance Until You Die (although that one may not really be a complete song since it was broken up by other scenes), A Happy Ending for Us, and another of my favorites, Secret Mission. The crickets get me every time. I'd definitely pay for Secret Mission and Hero's Journey.

• Love 2

Part 2 of my list! I consider reprises to be parts of the same song they're...reprising, but apparently the rprise for It's A Good Day To Die is considered a seperate song, so...yeah. Treated it as 2 songs for my list (but tied). Basically my numering is kind of screwy.

15. A Real Life Happily Ever After--Karen's and Joshua's voices are magic together, but this piece fell a bit flat for me. I prefer their other ballad/duets.

14. Do the D'DEW--catchy and cute, but I found this song oddly placed in the episode. For whatever reason.

13. A New Season--one of the best songs in the first half of the season. Love group numbers.

12. As Good As it Gets--i absolutely love Chef and Gwynne numbers. They're very enjoyable. And this one was jazzy. #PeasantLove forever!

11. Galavant Recap--Ben Presley has an amazing voice. And it was great to hear the Galavant tune again. But because it's a bit of a repeat I stuck it here.

Honestly the top 10 could be switched around in any order--i love them so much.

10. Giants vs Dwarves--Jets vs Sharks/West side Story homage. Loved the choreography with this one. Extremey catchy and great and ridiculous. Love it!

9. Goodbye--this was a very well put together number. It looked and sounded fantastic and I loved the cameos from the main cast.

8. I Don't like You--love this song. Love it!

6/7. A Good Day to Die+Reprise--loved the big musical number!

5. World's Best Kiss--Once again, Karen's and Joshua's voices together are magic. They harmonize very well.

4. Time Is Of the Essence--loved, loved, loved this number!!! It was very...Disneyish to me.

3. What Am I Feeling--beautiful number by Mallory/Madalena.

2. Today We Rise--I don't care if it may have been too much of a homage to Les Miz. I love this number. Sid's sheer enthusiasm while singing this song makes it spectacular. Job well done, Luke Youngblood!

1. Serenade--from the "kiss the girl" opening bit, to the minstrels and Gal to Joshua's beautiful voice, the hilarious lyrics, and the constant swaying back and forth...great tune, great musical number. My favorite!

Edited by HoodlumSheep

It's hard to top "A New Season" for me, if only for the fact that I watched it a hundred times between the time it was promo'd and when the season actually started.  So that gets my vote for best of season 2.

Next up would probably be the Giants vs. Dwarves bit, which is epically awesome.  Then Sid's Death March with needing help to pee and poo is among my favorite moments of the season.

After that, I'm a big fan of a couple songs from episode 3.  "Build a New tomorrow here today" and the Wedding planning song with Wormwood are 2 fantastic songs that are both really catchy with great lyrics, and I have spent many-a-work-afternoon humming these in the past few weeks.

"Maybe you won't die alone" is next for me, because it's a catchy little tune that puts a nice amount of emotion in it as well despite being hilarious.  And the intro with summoning each instrument including the "irritating little [can't remember]" makes me crack up every time.

I greatly enjoyed the main theme rehashes in both the recap song and the finale montage, but other than that, the last 4 episodes musical numbers didn't leave much of an impression on me.  Perhaps I just need to rewatch them again.

Overall, I thought the storyline was a bit better in season 1, but the songs were incredibly better and more memorable this season.  The only songs I truly remember often from the first season are the Hugh Bonneville pirates tune, and King Richard song from the Pilot episode (and the opening theme of course).

I do think "Comedy Gold" was very memorable, although I didn't actually like it that much.

What was the one with Madalena singing to her reflections in the mirrors?

"No One But You" - not my favorite from S1.

There are plenty of really memorable songs from S1, in my opinion.  I love "Lords of the Sea", "Jackass in a Can" (which is really the perfect song about a horrible boss, lol), "Love Is Strange", "Maybe You're Not the Worst Thing Ever", "Hero's Journey", both of the Chef/Gwynne duets, "Goodnight, My Friend", "Secret Mission", "Togetherness", and, of course, "Galavant".  So, I'd say that 2/3 of the S1 songs were very memorable to me.  The only song from S1 that I routinely skip when listening to that soundtrack is "A Day in Richard's Life".

I'll have to put some thought into my S2 list.  I definitely will routinely skip "A Different Kind of Princess" and probably will skip, more often than not, "Love Makes the World Brand New" because while I think the lyrics are hilarious and watching it on screen with the fluttering birds cracks me up, Vinnie Jones' voice just isn't good enough to make the song enjoyable while only listening to the soundtrack.  I will say that "A Real Life, Happily Ever After" is going to be high on my list just because I'm a total Galabella sap and if this is the last season for Galavant, I'm never going to not get a little weepy over their happy ending.

^ I quite enjoy "A Day in Richard's Life," probably I cannot a particular line out of my head and for the chanting crowd.

"SHUT UP YOU!!!! SHUT UUUUUPPP!"

every time I hear "shut up" or even think of it, I automatically sing it in that tune.

Same with whenever I see or hear the word "secret."

Secret, Secret, Hush Hush, Hush

• Love 1

After having the S2 soundtrack on a near constant replay for the last 6 days, and of course seeing the last two episodes, plus starting a S2 re-watch tonight, I've come up with my tentative ranking of the 29 songs (I'm including the "World's Best Kiss" reprise by Isabella because, of all the reprises not included, this one really should have been).

1) "What Am I Feeling?" - this is, for me, season 2's "Goodnight, My Friend".  It's a really lovely and poignant ballad that just embraces the heart.  Galavant is such a special show and most of the songs are really funny, with some twisted, keeping it real lyrics, but when the show allows itself to be a little serious and exposes it's soul, we wind up with a true gem like "What Am I Feeling?"  It doesn't hurt that Mallory Jansen just nailed the vocals and the staging, plus the build-up of the episode's plot to this beautiful ballad, was just perfectly executed.

2) "A New Season" - if there was ever an earworm that could replace season 1's "Galavant", this is it.  Really, I can't get it out of my head.  I'm not sure what Menken & Slater can do for season 3 (yes, I believe, super-believe, we'll get a 3rd season) to push this earworm out of our heads.  It's a great song that sets up the 2nd season and makes you think they've revealed the big season finale without actually doing so.  I can't escape how much joy and hope I had playing this song over and over for the month or so before the actual debut.

3) "I Don't Like You" - I suppose I might not like this one so much if I listened to rap regularly.  As I don't, this light-princess-rap-battle works for me entirely.  Mallory & Karen David really sell this one well and, like Gareth says, "I've been waiting two seasons for this".  We've been waiting for these two to go at it and as a climax to an unsuccessful truce meeting, it's awesome.  Everything about this song works for me.

These next four are almost interchangeable to me, because they are all great, and hard to rank...

4) "A Real Life, Happily Ever After" - Galabella shipper to the end that I am, this one gets ranked at the top.  Joshua Sasse & Karen David harmonize so beautifully, and there's a freakin' proposal!  I know others prefer "World's Best Kiss" but this one ranks higher (by a lot) for me.  We got one humorous duet and another humorous quartet from Gal & Izzy in S1, so I really didn't necessarily need another one this season, even if that is this show's bread and butter.  As far as I'm concerned, we've been waiting two seasons to get a true, honest romantic ballad for what has always been the show's romantic endgame, and, like "What Am I Feeling?", this show really hits it out of the park when they play it straight on the emotional front.  There's still some humor, because, hello, this is "Galavant", after all, but this one still makes me teary because of the journey we've gone on with Galavant & Isabella for two seasons now.

5) "Galavant Recap" - Ben Presley's got some wicked pipes.  Given how many fans were clamoring for our season 1 earworm, it is great that they brought it back to start the season 2 finale.  There were some rhymes that didn't quite work for me but I hear Ben Presley's final note and I'm sold all over again.  Plus, the video of the song, with Presley in the center of the coming battlefield, his heel tapping along with the beat as he brought the song home...  Love it so much.

6) "Will My Day Ever Come" - my favorite Richard song of the entire season.  Alfie Simmons is a great talent and I give immense kudos to the casting director for finding such a good vocal match for Timothy Omundson.  As a song, there's something Sondheim-esque about it that I really love.  And, again, lyrically, this song relies more on heart and emotion than it does on the humor, which I appreciate.  The funny songs are brilliant but the emotional ones...  Well, like Omundson said in an interview, they "punch me in the feels".

7) "A Good Day to Die" - I love how they use the entire cast.  It's an even better song visually, which is why it ranks so high for me.  Has there ever been a battle song so fantastic?

8) "World's Best Kiss (Reprise)" - I hadn't watched 201/202 in about 5 weeks until tonight and I still teared up at David's reprise.  She just killed it - her best vocals of the season, and her acting in that scene...  KILLED IT.

9) "Serenade" - who doesn't love a good mariachi ballad?  This is a song in the same vein as many of season 1's - playing it straight with the music but the lyrics are absolutely hilarious.  It wins simply because it rhymes ex, herpes simplex, and sex.

10) "A Good Day to Die (Reprise)" - this one rounds out my Top 10 because it has the best line of all of songs in 209/210 - "Oh please, this isn't Game of Thrones".  And, cutting off on "a huge cliffhanger" was both wrong and perfect for this show.

11) "As Good As It Gets" - listening to this song on the soundtrack, it always gets my foot to tapping and I truly love it.  The reason it didn't make my Top 10 is mostly because, as I recalled when I watched 204 again tonight, the song just doesn't work in the episode.  It wasn't believable to me that Chef was able to convince Gwynne that she should be happy with how good they've got it in Hortensia with an upbeat, swing tune. 

12) "Do the D'Dew" - I have the same issue with this song as I do with "As Good As it Gets" - on the soundtrack, it charms the heck out of me and I love it, but in the episode, it comes off, somehow, flat.  They cut some of it to fit the time restraints of the episode and it somehow takes away from the song.

The next five are fairly interchangeable, and I'm sure they'd wind up in a different order if I made this list tomorrow or in a week or a month...

13) "My Dragon Pal and Me" - no reason this song is ranked near the middle of the season's songs, except that I like all 12 songs ahead of it more for a variety of reasons.  This song makes me smile, in that cheesy, '70s "Up With People" sort of way, and I absolutely crack up laughing every time I watch the video, with Richard's hand movements & growls.

14) "Goodbye" - who doesn't love a little soft-shoe, classic Broadway tune?  Plus, I love the use of the main cast (well, the ones who can sing).  Easily the best guest "one-off" song appearance of the season, plus it really advances the plot - something, okay, "true love", has to enable Galavant to give Death a good old knee to the groin.

15) "Today We Rise" - I love this song's lyrics, so much.  I feel like joining the rebellion, even if I know I'm going to die, lol.  And nothing will ever make me stop laughing at the choreography for "pee and poo".  So wrong.  So "Galavant". 

16) "World's Best Kiss" - this song feels a retread of "Love is Strange" or "Maybe You're Not the Worst Thing Ever" in some ways.  Fine, we get it, your romance isn't perfect but you still love each other.  Furthermore, in retrospect, with the way the season played out, this Galabella duet felt like a bone thrown to pacify the fans. 

17) "He Was There" - the rhymes in this one are what gets it ranked so high.  Plus, I love the circus-y moment of "random backflip in the air".  It's just a cute, airy song that I appreciate.

18) "Let's Agree to Disagree" - I thought this one would have ranked higher but Vinnie Jones' weak vocals really dropped it in my overall rankings.  The flip side of that is, it would have been even lower had it not been for Mallory Jansen's strong vocals, lol.  Plus, I love me some Cole Porter and this is a great homage to one of the greatest composers of the 20th century.

19) "Off With His Shirt" - this one has grown on me, especially listening to it on the soundtrack.  It might be straight pop but it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb with the rest of the season's music as much as one might expect.  Plus, it really works in episode 201.  I surprised myself with this ranking but I think it's better than I thought the first time I heard it.

20) "The Happiest Day of Your Life" - I had a tough time with this one because, while I adore Gen Allenbury (especially on Twitter - she's just great!) as Queen of Valencia, she's not a great singer and, well, you'll see how I feel about weaker vocalists later on in my rankings, but...  It's a conga!  And I really like the song a lot more listening to it on the soundtrack than I did when I first saw it on screen in 203.  That probably has a lot to do with my complete hatred of that stupid enchanted tiara plot.

21) "Time Is of the Essence" - not a bad song at all but it doesn't beat out the 20 songs above it.  I do appreciate the rhyming and the performance of the song, which is what gets it ranked this high.

22) "Season 2 Finale" - I'm glad they were able to get Weird Al back to marry Gal & Izzy but...  This song should have been the Jester's, and not just because Jester has sung most of the versions of the "Galavant" theme but because Presley is a far stronger singer than Yankovic, and it really, really, really shows on this song.  Otherwise, this song would probably be way higher on my list.

23) "Finally" - so, "Grease" has never been my favorite musical, and I think that homages like "Finally" and "Dwarves vs. Giants" are a little too spot on for my taste, even on a super-meta show like Galavant.  I prefer just a bit more subtlety and, frankly, I expect a show as smart as Galavant, to be able to pull that off.  No need to bash the viewers over the head with their "Grease" homage.  That's really the only reason this song ranks so low on my list. 

24) "Dwarves vs. Giants" - this song would be SOOOO much higher, way higher, in all honesty, if I didn't hate the counter-melody from Clare Foster so much.  Her voice really bugs me in this song - she alternates between being flat and then sharp and then flat again and pretty much ruins the whole song.  I love Sasse & Omundson's parts.  And, I love the choreography for both of them & their choruses so much that it makes it really easy to overlook that it's such an obvious homage to "West Side Story".  But, then I get to hear Foster's really bad singing and the song just drops in my overall rankings.

25) "A Dark Season" - as catchy of an earworm as the season 2 theme song is, I think this song is fairly unremarkable, plus, again, Foster's voice just bugs the crap out of me.  But, bonus points for having Galavant sing in the third person - love that call back to season 1.

26) "Love Makes the World Brand New" - Vinnie Jones really can't sing.  He does his best with his limited instrument and Galavant's writers did a smart thing by making it into a Disney sing-a-long video.  Albeit, a slightly dirty Disney sing-a-long video...  I mean, they have a freaking fountain exploding behind Gareth's head as he sings the line "there's sparkly fizz in my nethers".  How did that make it past the censors?  LMAO!

27) "If I Were a Jolly Blacksmith" - cute song and, like "Build a New Tomorrow", perfectly serviceable and amusing in the Galavant way but, in comparison to Richard's other songs this season, this one is the weakest.  It ranks below "Dwarves vs. Giants" and "Love Makes the World Brand New" because, well, I really, really, really, love the choreography and the non-Foster parts of "Dwarves vs. Giants", and I love that the show made a bit of fun at Disney with "Love Makes the World Brand New."

28) "Build a New Tomorrow" - I like this song and I fully expected it to rank higher but it doesn't really hold up in comparison to the ones above it.  It's perfectly serviceable and is amusing in the Galavant way but it's not nearly as superb as so many others from the season.

29) "A Different Kind of Princess" - hate this song.  I didn't care for Sheridan Smith, didn't care for the rock anthem - I've heard better from other Broadway songwriters.  And, well, we've discussed it before, the visit to Princess Jubilee was pointless since that stupid enchanted tiara could have been knocked off Isabella's head in Hortensia just as easily as it was by Jubilee.  And, if it had happened in Hortensia, we would have probably gotten a Karen David solo - maybe even a rock anthem about how she was one pissed off princess - instead.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 2

I wanna rewatch the season before I really rank my favourite songs, but my top five are 

5) Goodbye

Some random guy shows up because Galavant ran out of friends. Hilarious. Amazing. Also, Gal must have hated to die and ended up in a musical number. 

4) As Good As it Gets

Chef and Gwynne are the true otp of this show. They are adorable and they sound amazing together. 

3) Finally

Always down for a good Grease homage. Also Bobbi is adorable and she and Richard are adorable.

2) What Am I Feeling?

Definitely forgot how amazing Madelena is. She was woefully underused last season, imo. (although I Love You (As Much As Someone Like Me Can Love Anyone) is my favourite song ever and I wished it had been released) also, this is how I feel about feelings.

1) Maybe You Won't Die Alone.

The song I'm going to use at my wedding. I'm a real sucker for a good Kiss the Girl homage, and I love how begrudgingly Galavant start the number.

honorary mentions for Off With His Shirt, a true earworm, and I Really Don't Like You, an amazing princess rap battle. 

• Love 1

^ I quite enjoy "A Day in Richard's Life," probably I cannot a particular line out of my head and for the chanting crowd.

"SHUT UP YOU!!!! SHUT UUUUUPPP!"

every time I hear "shut up" or even think of it, I automatically sing it in that tune.

Same with whenever I see or hear the word "secret."

Secret, Secret, Hush Hush, Hush

Oh, it's so good to know that I'm not the only one!  On both counts.  Plus, I sometimes sing-think "I want to shoot him with a crossbow . . ." when someone's really getting on my nerves.

There's a guitar moment in "A Day in Richard's Life" that takes me right back to watching "Labyrinth" as a kid; I will always love the song just for that.

• Love 1

Based on how often it's played in my head and how often I've rewatched the video, Today We Rise is my favorite of the season. I know all the words except the line after "PEE and POO!" because I'm laughing too hard to hear it properly every single time.

Also playing in my head: A New Season, Let's Agree to Disagree (beer beer beer beer beer!), Jolly Blacksmith, Serenade, My Dragon Pal and Me, Goodbye, I Don't Like You, and Will My Day Ever Come. I won't attempt to rank them, but these were my favorites. Honorable mention to Dwarves Vs Giants. Love to watch the choreography.

It seems Different Kind of Princess is universally the least favorite (I agree). I will say I don't hate it as a stand alone song, but it didn't fit in the show stylistically or plot wise. It would have benefited from having just the smallest bit of set up. When Wormwood said they needed an RSVP from Jubilee, the parents should have said something like, "Jubilee? Ugh, she's the worst. Horrible person. Terrible influence. Why did we even invite her? We don't want her there, and she won't come anyway. Just mark her as a No." Then Wormwood the Horrified Wedding Planner could have said, "You can't uninvite someone or assume they won't show! What if they did? Then the seating chart would be boy-girl-boy-girl-girl! We can't let that happen!" and send Izzy off. It still would have been an unnecessary plot point, but at least the punk rock princess wouldn't have come completely out of left field. An even better scenario that someone else put forth would have been losing the tiara in Hortencia and IZZY singing a pissed off punk rock princess song.

• Love 2