Type keyword(s) to search

Putting The Hi In Hieroglyphics

(edited)

I'm sure you could suggest that in the Suggestions area, marina to.  But someone already asked about single threads over there and the answer is in the suggestions area.  I'll grab a link.  ETA: Here you go, Page 2 down past Ari333's question (Sorry , no post numbers available to me) .  The logic behind not having one thread.  I can see his point, it can feel exclusionary to people trying to join a community, vs. maintain an existing one.  I just don't think it will be much of a hassle, just an adjustment. 

Sure, I'd be glad to put the lexicon link somewhere more prominent.  Where would you like it? 

Edited by stillshimpy

Glad to help, marina to, but don't resign yourself too quickly.  I don't think that's what having various threads means.  I think we'll still be able to go off on silly tangents and goofy talk of ships, we'll just have more places to do that, from everything I can see.  It absolutely doesn't look like a policy in place to limit fun, just one to make sure as many people as possible get to join in :-) 

We will once again be daft as a group, I can feel it!  We're too good at it to let that tradition die.  We'll just do it in shorter threads :-) 

• Love 1

marina to and stillshimpy

Hi guys! I'm going to reclassify this topic as general discussion and open a new one for small talk. :D

This is now our General Discussion thread, dated April 3rd by mod radishcake.

Y'all had me worried there for a minute. I thought I'd dreamed up our sanctioned 'general' thread.

I still hop around, but find myself coming back here most often.  Feels more like home. :)

So, if I wanted to tell you all about my many and varied workouts, I'd take it to small talk, but if it is related to SG1, it goes here.  Right? 

Or if I wanted to tell you about my amazingly cute dog, I would take it to the Small talk thread, but if I wanted to talk about how RDA's dog totally guest-starred on SG1, I'd keep it here.  

Or if any of us were worried that we couldn't go off on a riff about how we envy Teal'c's precision eye-lining abilities and the ever growing muscles of one Daniel Jackson, here it would stay, along with songs, possible dances and the occasional SG1 dirty limerick, here's the right place.  Right, right?  

I think that's right.  

We're gonna be fine, marina to.  

Got it. I couldn't figure out how to delete but I feel my post in Small Talk belongs here since the hours of amusement I get from it are directly related to the show

I have a friend from MN and I get hours of entertainment by getting him to say "yasureyoubetcha". And he constantly says Holy Hannah, which I had no idea was an actual thing. I asked him if his lake had any fish and he looked at me like I had 3 heads, so we have some work to do.

I live in MN. I've seen people toss a line in drainage ditches flooded from the previous nights storm. That should count as a lake with no fish, right?

Otherwise the only reason a lake wouldn't have any fish is if it's too shallow and freezes solid. Some of those might still get stocked for the summer.

PS I've only heard Holy Hannah on the show, but yahsureyoubetchta gets used both ironically and un ironically depending on the source.

BkWurm1 the lake with no fish is a reference to Jack's cabin and the lake not having fish.

He doesn't use yahsureyoubetcha unless I goad him into it but I did a literal choke on my beer the first time he used Holy Hannah.

Hi, kids. I could not resist sharing today's Neil deGrasse Tyson tweet: Apr13: On this date in 2029 stadium-sized asteroid Apophis buzz-cuts Earth at 45,000 km/hr below our communication satellites.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 2

Hi, kids. I could not resist sharing today's Neil deGrasse Tyson tweet: Apr13: On this date in 2029 stadium-sized asteroid Apophis buzz-cuts Earth at 45,000 km/hr below our communication satellites.

This led me to his tweet of the redneck turtle burger. So thanks;) I found that disturbing enough to have to make sure that some sick person had carved hotdogs to look like feet rather than the name of the meal being a little too accurate.

I wanted to stop by and say hi. I usually lurk and since I don't own and DVDs of the show ( have to buy episodes I like on iTunes) I can only have limited commentary on the rewatch threads; but and character threads/general discussion I'm game.

I guess this is the place to have this discussion (I so miss the one thread).

I mainlined Dan/Jan fanfic yesterday (and I mean seriously - I did an all-nighter Thursday night and only got to bed at 3am this morning). As I slowly tracked down my favourite stories (and it's criminal how much got lost - all the archives/contest sites are gone and a lot of it never made it to fanfiction.net or AO3 so thank god for the Wayback Machine), it really highlighted to me how the loss of Janet really did a number on the show. So many of those fics, even the angsty ones, gives a wider perspective to the team. I know that's the nature of fanfic but it's interesting how there's such a difference in feel between the two.

By the end of season 7 you've lost Janet and Hammond, which essentially isolated the team. Yeah, they interacted with other people but there were no friendships. Janet in particular was a person that the team could talk to who loved them yet could provide an outside perspective. Maybe she would have become as jaded as the team did, or she could have been the touchstone that tethered them.

In the end, there was so much opportunity lost to develop the characters by not giving them friendships where they could talk about their fears and hopes outside of the team dynamic. I think there was a recognition of that going into season 9 with Landry and Lam but because they hadn't been there for the journey, the attempt at friendship never clicked.

Anyway, that's just happens to be how *I* feel about it. What do you think?

(Thank you, lexicon! I'd forgotten how it went.)

Edited by marina to
On 10/14/2017 at 0:44 PM, marina to said:

In the end, there was so much opportunity lost to develop the characters by not giving them friendships where they could talk about their fears and hopes outside of the team dynamic. I think there was a recognition of that going into season 9 with Landry and Lam but because they hadn't been there for the journey, the attempt at friendship never clicked.

I agree with this though I think Landry worked pretty well but then I never clicked with Hammond.  (Didn't hate him, just didn't think of him as a real character most of the time, just the boss setting things in motion or getting in the way if need be.)  But it's not just that they lost outside characters but even within the team, they stopped really talking IMO by the later seasons.  Too many of the episodes were structured to focus on one character rather than them as a team.  I liked it occasionally but it became the norm rather than the exception in like 7 and 8.  

I ended up appreciating Janet more after she was gone.  She was also a character I took for granted and didn't initially pay much attention to.  I think they had the right idea in season nine with putting more focus on Stargate Command but they never really went far enough with that either.  

• Love 1
(edited)

So I really don't know where to put this because I can't find the "in the media" thread but I guess here is okay. I have a short clip of Michael Shanks talking about his time on SGU  and what he thought of the series:

Also, this another short clip of Michael Shanks and Ben Browder both talking about how much they hated the Zap gun from SG-1:

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Just watched the mini web-series, Stargate Origins and it was not great.  It actually started out with some promise but the sets and the acting and the writing just got increasingly more cringe-worthy as the 10 minute sections went on.  By the fifth and last one I was fighting to keep from just turning it off

Edited by BkWurm1