Type keyword(s) to search

Putting The Hi In Hieroglyphics

This afternoon I read the sad news about TwoP, where I had made many SG-1 related friendships. May they continue on our new home. I only regret that I have been away from the thread for so many years and thus missed out on a countless amount of fun. You guys are the best. I look forward to renewed discussion of my favorite TV show ever, its Fab Four, St. George and (of course) the Little Doc.

• Love 1

To get this thread moving, someone ought to start debating the worth (or lack thereof) of Jonas Quinn as a character.   That's always good for some 'gate talk.  

To conjure Codger, we will need Daniel's Butt. 

• Love 2

Jonas Quinn? Surely you mean Tintin. It would unchivalrous to comment on his value considering the lack of ideas TPTB had for him. 'Probie' in "The Changeling" was like a meta-comment on his entire tenure.

Well and Chris Judge wrote The Changeling so it achieved some new level of Meta. Writers and Castmates alike wondered what to do with him.  Plus, since that was all part of Teal'c's fever dream and it had him wearing a "new guy" apron, I think we broke the meta-statement-meter with that one. 

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but what is a Jonas Quinn? Don't know who you're talking about. Nope. Never happened.

Seriously though, I don't think the character could be more bland. I know TPTB got a lot of flack from the Atlantis cast for not letting them have any say in regards to their characters, but holy hell Corin Namec ruined it for them. On top of that TPTB, instead of using the opportunity to shake up the team dynamics and create a brand new character, made Daniel 2.0. He became everything Daniel was in a few episodes, just needed a lot more food to do it. 

I did like the touch of Jack not accepting Jonas for the entire year. Not only was he the audiences' proxy but it also rang true for his character.

I'm not the biggest Daniel fan but I was glad he came back.

• Love 1

To get this thread moving, someone ought to start debating the worth (or lack thereof) of Jonas Quinn as a character.

Jonas Quinn's absolute fail must have been a secret conspiracy by the producers/writers to convince the network to give Shanks a pay raise to lure him back,  There is no way to botch something so completely unless it was on purpose.  Oh wait, SGU.

Did I mention that Jonas Quinn is the reason why Mitchell was such a complete SG1 fanboy.  Why yes I have, many times.

And just because I have to,  who was the brain trust that came up with the idea to introduce Jonas as culpable in Daniel's death and besmirching his memory?

• Love 1

who was the brain trust that came up with the idea to introduce Jonas as culpable in Daniel's death and besmirching his memory?

Indeed. Introducing a new character by having him be involved in the death of a much loved character is dumb but could still work. By making him an exact duplicate of the person he's supposed to be replacing and making him nothing else but a glutton was not what they needed to do.

• Love 1

By making him an exact duplicate of the person he's supposed to be replacing and making him nothing else but a glutton was not what they needed to do.

And making Jonas so brilliant that he absorbed, by osmosis, the knowledge Daniel had spent a lifetime earning just added insult to injury.

• Love 1

Yay Stargate SG1 board! 

Daniel's butt.

Daniel's butt.

Daniel's butt.

(It does work like Beetlejuice don'tchaknow!)

Oh my gosh, and the arms... THE ARMS... and the smile... *melts*

There is no way to botch something so completely unless it was on purpose.  Oh wait, SGU.

Buuuuuurn! So true, too.

I kind of wish we saw more of mini-Jack or got to hear from him or about him. The ending of Fragile Balance was pretty pervey - 50 year old mind in a teenage body still oggling teenage girls? I want to know what he's doing now. Did he join the Air Force? Does he get to join the SGC? Or maybe he went to Annapolis or West Point. Maybe he was so fascinated by what Carter or Daniel were doing he's a scientist or researcher of some sort. I want to know dammit. 

• Love 1

I kind of wish we saw more of mini-Jack or got to hear from him or about him. The ending of Fragile Balance was pretty pervey - 50 year old mind in a teenage body still oggling teenage girls? I want to know what he's doing now. Did he join the Air Force? Does he get to join the SGC? Or maybe he went to Annapolis or West Point. Maybe he was so fascinated by what Carter or Daniel were doing he's a scientist or researcher of some sort. I want to know dammit. 

That would be for the fanfiction (IMHO, you gotta save some for the imagination). 

Edited by TVSpectator

That would be for the fanfiction (IMHO, you gotta save some for the imagination).

I went to look at SG1 fanfiction once and what I found funny was that if you sort by popularity a huge portion of SG-1 fan-fiction is about one or the other team member being transformed into children of varying ages and being raised by various couplings of other team members.

I see familiar names!  Yay.  Starting off with Jonas Quinn, Boo.  Writer's hubris doomed that whole debacle.  Thinking they could just plug someone in, give him MS's lines and have it prefaced with "According to Dr. Jackson's notes" and the audience wouldn't notice? Or maybe, care.  Bad writers.  Making him a part of the death of the character he was replacing, and an unrepentant part at that, only made it worse.  I never forgave Quinn for telling Jack that he couldn't clear Daniel's name on the planet of the idiots, even if he wanted to

If Daniel's butt doesn't conjure Codger, maybe Vala will.  He always loved his Raven Haired Goddess.

Jonas was terrible.   But they kept telling us over and over that he was better than Daniel.  He learned everything he did and was more advanced and blah blah blah.  Plus he was involved in Daniel's death, didn't show any remorse, but he was so much better and more evolved. 

I can't believe how bitter I still am about that and that so long ago now.  Man I am old.

I never commented on TWOP forum for this show and I don't know why, because I love this show and I loved that site.  I was just reading the old forum over there, and it is really nice to know that I wasn't the only one that hated SGU.  I loved SG1 and Atlantis, but I couldn't get past 2 episodes of SGU.  So hello people!

Oh good point about Codger.  Vala's butt! Vala's butt! Vala's butt! Codger!! 

It's like a Codger lure.  We can humanely trap him when he pokes his head in.  

Someone's also going to need to find elle, particularly if DanJan gets mentioned. 

Edited by stillshimpy

Talking about Jonas and Vala is like watching The Show (as I always called it) slowly circle the drain. I remember watching Prometheus Unbound and thinking this Vala character didn't bode well for Sam's future on the show -- and she didn't. Plus she was the unwitting carrier of the B'Ori (and also a lot of forced comedy and sexual innuendo). We still got a few great episodes, like Ripple Effect and The Road Not Taken but not enough of them. Some people I respect -- including my wife -- loved Vala but she always set my teeth on edge, except as a super-baddie in Stargate Continuum.

• Love 2

Some people I respect -- including my wife -- loved Vala but she always set my teeth on edge, except as a super-baddie in Stargate Continuum.

I did think that Vala had great chemistry with Daniel originally. I wish she would have been more like Martouf or Doc Frasier: there when the story needed her there but not the story written to have to have her there - and maybe die at some point.

• Love 2

Oh good point about Codger.  Vala's butt! Vala's butt! Vala's butt! Codger!! 

It's like a Codger lure.  We can humanely trap him when he pokes his head in.  

Someone's also going to need to find elle, particularly if DanJan gets mentioned. 

I love this rallying of the troops. 

And I thought it was Daniel's butt that summonsed Codger.

And I thought it was Daniel's butt that summonsed Codger.

It is, but since he often bemoaned being Google linked to Daniel's butt, and was head over heels for Vala, I thought I'd try that. 

Shimpy, I'm tickled by the idea of Vala as a "humane" trap, given how so many (not me) found her presence torturous. :)

I went to look at SG1 fanfiction once and what I found funny was that if you sort by popularity a huge portion of SG-1 fan-fiction is about one or the other team member being transformed into children of varying ages and beingraised by various couplings of other team members.

I usually go to fanfiction.net  and head over to the crossovers section to read about how the BSG Colonies battle the Stargate SG-1/SGA teams (and sometimes an SGU reference sneaks up).  The pairings that I see over there are the usual Sam/Jack pairing but Jennifer would usually be dead (in the beginning of the story) and you can fill in the rest in. 

Com'trya CatTDragon!

Idiotboy, I've missed you. Can we become the mini-brain?

I can hold down the DanJan boat until elle gets here.

Maculae, I agree about how Vala should have been used. I never liked her much but in small doses she could have been really effective.

Hi, all. I'm FoolishWanderer over on TWOP, but I came to really dislike that name. I go by Joe in real life, it's good enough for online. I fully expect to post here as often as I ever did over there. :) And it's good to see some familiar names.

• Love 1

Why, thank you for posting this, but is there any Jack/Daniel in it?

The "audience" has some things to say about it. Jack's a kid though, so...

Also, I started a thread for the April re-watch. If people hate the name it should be changed.

I went to look at SG1 fanfiction once and what I found funny was that if you sort by popularity a huge portion of SG-1 fan-fiction is about one or the other team member being transformed into children of varying ages and being raised by various couplings of other team members.

Yeah, I think the most common one I've seen is either pairing up Teen!Jack/Teen!Daniel, or Teen!Jack/Teen!Sam, depending on who is writing it, and then having them take off in to the wild blue yonder.

Are we bringing the ships over?  The Spoon, The Barge, The SS Vala Rules (Marina To, please don't throw things at me) :)  What else? The Tin Can't.  That's all I can remember.  It's been too many years.  Well, the Iron Maiden, but she's been decommissioned. No spoilers to avoid anymore.

• Love 1

Well, the Iron Maiden, but she's been decommissioned. No spoilers to avoid anymore.

You didn't read that article?? The one that talks about

APRIL FOOLS (hey, it's only 2110 in CA)

You guys should start threads for your ships. And maybe a thread on Threads. That's always a fun topic! Who will win the battle of the USS Jack and Sam vs the USS Jack and Daniel vs the USS Jan and Dan vs the USS Daniel and Sam?

Poor Teal'c. Or not, he's seen enough war in his lifetime.

• Love 1

:p  theredhead7, that was mean.  a spoiler bar in referenence to the Iron Maiden. (Funny though.)

The nice thing about our previous home is that there weren't a lot of "wars", and the ones we had were pretty tame.  For the most part, all the ships, dinghies, barges, rafts, etc. floated along in relative harmony.  Ah, the glory day.

• Love 1

Hey, can someone reach out to elle, please?  My poor PM system over on TWoP is teetering on the point of being filled to capacity at all times, at present, or I'd do it.  I will owe you chocolate and I promise to shine the hull of your favorite ship as a thank you. 

(edited)

I kinda don't want to separate the ships off into different threads. I really liked that the one thread forced us into wide-ranging discussion.

Can anyone post the link to TotaltvAddict's lexicon? We really need to reinstate the cabana boys/girls.

I never really used DM on TWoP, so let me try elle and TtvA.

Added:

I know the mods here want us to make many threads but I'm really hoping there's a way we can keep our single-thread discussion. I kinda hate how everyone gets siphoned off into various threads. Since our show is dead and we few (we happy few, we band of brothers) I would love to keep everyone together and talk about everything to do with the show. It was the best thing about us.

Edited by marina to

Com'trya!

I must thank marina to to alerting me to this forum!

I am happy to have discover SG1 on the THIS channel.  I just have a problem remembering when it is on.

By the way, does anyone else think that is Tony Amendola as the "sage" worried about missing the game in the Xfinity commerical?

I missed this earlier, stillshimpy, thanks for watching out for me and my favorite ship.  And for holding "the * door"  :0)

I much prefer the one thread too.  I just get lost in lots of little ones.

I do too, anstar.  I enjoy the ease of conversation that we have going from one topic to another.

(edited)

I'm cool with the multiple threads.  It's like anything, it just takes some getting used to, plus it's a little less intimidating than one thread, that will eventually become gigantic in most cases, you know?  

I was aware there was a TWoP Stargate thread, but at the time I was posting on a different SG forum (not Gateworld) and it got freaking mean towards Amanda Tapping (which caused me to turn a delicate shade of fire engine, burning-down-the-house red-crimson-scarlett-brick and all red hues in between, so I was trying to find a different forum).  It took me over a year to even look in the TWoP thread because it was just so.damned.long and after the battering experience elsewhere (I should add this was at the height of the Pete relationship and people lost their minds over it) .  

Now obviously, I eventually did and you poor folks have been stuck with me ever since, but there is a downside to the One.Big.Thread approach in my personal experience.  Plus, since we now have what amounts to a Meet Market, elle and I can openly discuss our unholy love for the original Wargames movie without pulling the whole place into an off-topic vortex. 

elle, I'm so sorry that my inability to keep my PM box empty enough over there to allow for communication got in the way, but I'm glad you're here and thank you, marina_to for helping!

Edited by stillshimpy
(edited)

Part of the reason the TWoP thread got so long was because we were watching new episodes. Pages of speculation, followed by pages of episode reaction, followed by pages of episode debate, rinse and repeat. With all that out of the way and with the new rewatch and meet market threads, one general discussion thread should be quite manageable and keep our community together.

We could probably have a fan fic thread for links as well. Heck, I've got a Lifeboat story (Dan/Jan flavoured) I've never published to christen it with if you guys want.

And we really need a lexicon thread, pin or something. Anyone have the original link?

elle and stillshrimpy, glad to help. Now we need to get The Brain here. And whatever happened to buttersister?

Edited by marina to
(edited)
With all that out of the way and with the new rewatch and meet market threads, one general discussion thread should be quite manageable and keep our community together.

But that's not what they're going to do here, marina to.  There isn't going to be one thread so since it's what we're going to be doing, I was just looking for the upside on why it's a good change of pace.  I think we'll get used to it easily and even learn to dig it.  

And we really need a lexicon thread, pin or something. Anyone have the original link?

Hold on, let me see if I can find it.  Here you go, clicky clicky for Lexicon

Edited by stillshimpy
fixed quote
(edited)

stillshrimpy, thanks for the link. Can we put it in a place of prominence for everyone?

I'm suggesting a structure of the forum. When I was active on the Smallville forum, I saw how a large structure splintered people into silos and I want to prevent that here. Why not discuss a compromise that satisfies the overall feel of the site yet allows us to retain what made this such a great community?

Edited by marina to