Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Meet The Bates

• Start Topic

I was surprised to find them very likeable. The kids are far more articulate than the Duggar kids are (although I guess that's a pretty low bar), and their emotions seem genuine whereas the Duggars seem to plaster on phony smiles.

• Love 3

Ilovemylabs:

Re: believing one of the boys is gay, this isn't news; we discussed it on TWOP without naming names, and of course I won't name names here. And of course no one knows who's gay and who isn't, and in my opinion, no one should care anyway ... and not to perpetuate stereotypes, but he's extremely effeminate.

My point was that of course the Bateses will care and will try to "pray the gay away," and I feel for him.

Edited by Literata

Ilovemylabs:

Re: believing one of the boys is gay, this isn't news; we discussed it on TWOP without naming names, and of course I won't name names here. And of course no one knows who's gay and who isn't, and in my opinion, no one should care anyway ... and not to perpetuate stereotypes, but he's extremely effeminate.

My point was that of course the Bateses will care and will try to "pray the gay away," and I feel for him.

I'll have to watch more closely.  I don't remember any of the boys being 'extremely effeminate', but I really don't care if he is gay or not.

• Love 2

While they're fundie through and through, it is nice to see a family that's close where the kids aren't scared of the parents. There is no way any Duggar daughter would dare say -- if you don't like my cooking, get in the kitchen and cook for yourself, otherwise sit down and shut your mouth -- they say Tori or Carlin did; the Duggars would be too scared of hard labor or the prayer closet or something. That's why Jinger's eye rolls and exaggerated faces were SUCH a big deal bc it was the only way a Duggar child could show they disagreed or were over it or whatever. Whereas a Bates kid can actually speak her mind.

• Love 2

Although I like this show better than the Duggars...there is something off with the dad. I cant put my finger on it...

Years ago there was something mentioned on TWOP about some kind of secret about Gil that was kept very, very hush-hush. I have no earthly idea what the info about him was but it must have been pretty sordid due to all of the secrecy around it. I'd give anything to know what it was.

I've deleted a whole bunch of posts that were about the Duggars but more importantly they were deleted due to arguing among the posters. If it happens again (the arguing) we will be issuing warnings right away.

Knock it off.

• Love 1

Finally located a bit of info:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/0 ... 54/346310/

“BRINGING UP BATES” SERIES PREMIERE –

STRONGEST UP ORIGINAL TELECAST EVER

Ranked #16 in the Time-Period Among

All Ad-Supported Cable Networks in W25-45

ATLANTA, January 5, 2015 – UP announced today that the premiere episode of the UP Original Series “Bringing Up Bates” on January 1 (9 p.m. EST) was the strongest original telecast ever for the network among W18-49 and W25-541. Based on live + same day data, the series ranked #16 in the time-period among ad-supported cable networks in W25-54 and #20 in W18-492.

• Love 1

OK, so I don't know where to put this because it pertains to the opening "credits" and not a particular episode but here seems as good a place as any so....

I like the opening. No dull voice over introductions and they start out in reverse birth order just to "mix it up".  However...I recently decided there is something vaguely sinister in the change up as they get to the top.  Birth order suddenly stops and the "top three", the ones that bounce into view just before the parents, are Erin and Alyssa together and then Zach...the married ones.  If you are using birth order, what difference does marital status make? After Michael(a) gets married, will she to bounce (so to speak) after Alyssa, where she belongs?

OK, so I don't know where to put this because it pertains to the opening "credits" and not a particular episode but here seems as good a place as any so....

I like the opening. No dull voice over introductions and they start out in reverse birth order just to "mix it up".  However...I recently decided there is something vaguely sinister in the change up as they get to the top.  Birth order suddenly stops and the "top three", the ones that bounce into view just before the parents, are Erin and Alyssa together and then Zach...the married ones.  If you are using birth order, what difference does marital status make? After Michael(a) gets married, will she to bounce (so to speak) after Alyssa, where she belongs?

I noticed that too and it made me question Michaella's age. I was like "I know I'm not going crazy, she's one of the oldest kids..wth?" And so I came here to find her age mentioned to make sure I wasn't crazy (ok I am but that doesn't matter :P ). It's just odd to me that the married kids are listed out of birth order. 

I noticed that odd sequencing early on.  I hate it, but it's quite possibly because the "kids" aren't considered full adults until they are married.  

I agree, this is exactly the reason for it, which is why I find it so sinister.  Michael is older than Alyssa (and Erin I think) but because they are married, they are now adults, and move to the front of the line, ahead of her.  Also why I was was curious if she gets to "reclaim" her place once she's married.  Are things back to normal, or is she still playing catch-up because they've been married longer?

• Love 1
On 1/5/2015 at 2:53 PM, Ilovemylabs said:
  •  

On 1/5/2015 at 2:53 PM, Ilovemylabs said:

I must have missed something.  How do you know one son is 'clearly gay'?  Please do not name names if he is under 18.

It is Nathan.  So obvious.  And he is well over 18.  I feel so bad for him.

9 hours ago, KariLois said:

How did I miss this?  Are you going on GAYDAR?  Or other clues.  Not that it matters to me.  I have a gay son and I love his husband too.  But even their GAYDAR doesn't always ping correctly.

11 hours ago, KariLois said:

Seriously?  What makes you think that?  Is there proof?  If he is, then it is his decision to tell who and when and if not, then what?  Does it really matter if he is or isn't?  No

I don't think it matters either way because he is loved and he loves others.

Edited by iluvobx
addition & deletion