Type keyword(s) to search

Michaella and Brandon: He Writes Fairy Tales

• Start Topic

I'm not understanding why the date couldn't be changed?  If you have no venue - you should probably be flexible on your date.  You can't plan to have 800 people travel in and have no place to put them.  The whole phone conversation between Michaela and Brandon was just odd. 

• Love 2

I'm not understanding why the date couldn't be changed? If you have no venue - you should probably be flexible on your date. You can't plan to have 800 people travel in and have no place to put them. The whole phone conversation between Michaela and Brandon was just odd.

I agree. People are either going to come or they aren't. Unless you settle on a holiday weekend, moving the date a couple days forward or backward shouldn't be a big deal.

• Love 1

I wondered what was going on that Brandon could immediately say no a week before or after was automatically out.  Perhaps it's something someone in his family has scheduled.  It does seem a bit odd to be so inflexible on the date.  Most people I know don't set the wedding date until they have booked the venue.  Most of my daughters picked a couple of months and then shopped venues available during that time frame.  One was set on a particular venue so we went with a date available there. 

• Love 1

What are the requirements for getting married in a Baptist church?  When I got married in the Catholic church we had to be members of the parish, provide proof of our baptisms and go through premarital church-based counseling.  It didn't seem quite as easy as the way Michael and Brandon did it, but maybe there was more behind the scenes.

It would never even occur to me to eliminate a church based on its colors.  It's not as if pink and brown decorations would have clashed with the first church's colors.

My first wedding 24 years ago was in a Baptist church. I am atheist (HA!) but wanted a traditional ceremony so we went to the local baptist church in the small town close to our hometown and we simply had to go through premarital counseling with the minister. We were seniors in high school (!!!) and just had to answer basic relationship questions. Didn't need to be members of the church or anything. In fact we were the first wedding held there, it was a brand new building/church and wasn't 100% complete when we got married. Can hear construction noise in the background of our wedding vid.

(edited)

What are the requirements for getting married in a Baptist church?  When I got married in the Catholic church we had to be members of the parish, provide proof of our baptisms and go through premarital church-based counseling.  It didn't seem quite as easy as the way Michael and Brandon did it, but maybe there was more behind the scenes.

It would never even occur to me to eliminate a church based on its colors.  It's not as if pink and brown decorations would have clashed with the first church's colors.

I mean, if a church has wood in its interior, it would match with Michael's color scheme. :D

I know that neither my parents' church (Dutch Reformed...yucko, or my in-laws' church, Lutheran) would marry my husband and I, although he grew up Lutheran. I found out about 10 years into my marriage that I was baptized Lutheran as well, but nope. We found a minister of an unafilliated church to marry us at my parents' house. It seems that these Indie Baptists can wander into any more regular variety Baptist church, including Southern Baptist in the case of the Duggars, and find a preacher willing to marry them. I hope that none of the Bates kids had to suffer "marriage counseling" from Gil and Kelly. Michael's marriage (since this is her thread) is her business, although with Kelly as the MOH, I suppose Michael already tells her every detail of her mundane little life. 

eta: There's an ATI conference in Indianapolis going from 19-22 August (Jinger and Jana Duggar will be speaking there), so that's likely why he nixed the 22nd. Brandon probably has to be there, which begs the question: What about the honeymoon??? I know this guy seems to be all business, but come ON dude, SOME pleasure isn't a sin! 

Edited by Sew Sumi

The way Brandon was vetoing dates, it sounded work related to me -- like, nope -- I don't have the time off. Though I was also thinking -- doesn't he work for Gothard/ATI which WANTS him to get married and produce kids quickly, wouldn't they give him time off a weekend earlier or later??

If there is an ATI conference on the 19th -- well, he's all business. I can see him saying -- we'll be done with wedding stuff on the afternoon of the 15th (most likely -- I don't think these guys do night time receptions since they don't do the dancing or drinking thing). That gives us the evening of the 15th through the 18th to consummate and I'm guessing also to spend a lot of time praying together. And then the night of the 18th they leave whatever mountain cabin they "honeymooned" at to go to Indianapolis. Sounds very romantic . . . .

I think the rest of her siblings took regular honeymoons -- Chad and Erin took a fabulous trip to Ireland; Zach and Whitney spent like 2 weeks in Hawaii; and I'm not sure where Alyssa and John went but I think it was a few weeks on the west coast. But the rest of them seemed more "traditional" in the way they showed romance; I think they wanted nothing more than to be away with their spouse for a few weeks before getting back to work etc. Brandon on the other hand acts like this marriage is a business deal -- he will provide for her monetarily, she will provide and raise the heirs. So he probably sees no need to honeymoon more than 3 days. Sad thing is I have a feeling Michaela probably wants to be romanced the way her sisters/sister in law were -- but she's so beholden to the guy, I can never see her saying anything. I think she'd be like -- it's ok -- it's God's will that Brandon go back to work so I'm ok with a few days in a cabin in Michigan, I don't NEED to go to Hawaii.

• Love 1

Brandon does seem very formal, doesn't he? I can see him calling Kelly "Mother Bates," and referring to Michael as "Mrs. Bates."

He's definitely a missionary style guy, who probably wears pajama pants and matching buttoned top to bed. Very straightlaced looking young man.

• Love 1

I agree this marriage is a business deal for Brandon. He found a girl who is docile, submissive, more than happy to spit out ten babies and satisfies the Gothard criteria. In exchange, Michael doesn't have to die being the Jana Duggar of her family.

• Love 1

If Michael truly does feel like an ugly duckling, maybe she picked her mom so she wouldn't be out-shined by the person standing closest to her during the wedding.

And I kind of think Branden is into her, he appears very formal, but his facial expressions, blushing, show love, and his actions and thoughtfulness seem to be ways he feels comfortable expressing it.

• Love 2

I agree this marriage is a business deal for Brandon. He found a girl who is docile, submissive, more than happy to spit out ten babies and satisfies the Gothard criteria. In exchange, Michael doesn't have to die being the Jana Duggar of her family.

This makes me feel bad for a her a bit bc I think she is someone who wants someone to "want" her -- the way her brothers in law are with her sisters. Chad is generally the romantic type -- bringing home flowers for Erin for no reason. And John -- I'm not sure what he's like, but it seems like they have fun together spontaneously whether it's date nights or ball games or just Starbucks runs. With Brandon I feel like everything will be "scheduled" --i.e. my dad told me women need to be romanced, so once a month date night -- check; once a quarter -- flowers -- check. And in their culture and esp with a "traditional" guy like Brandon, I don't get the sense Michael could or would ever speak up.

Though I guess it won't matter that much as I'm guessing she'll have a child at this time next yr and then her life will be about raising the baby and his will be about spending all the time he can outside of work with the baby. I see them being that couple that ONLY talks about their kids and 20 yrs from now when all the kids are gone have very little to say to each other.

• Love 1
So, the Matron of Honor is different than the Maid of Honor

"Matron" of honor means she's married..."Maid" of honor is a single woman.  Same duties...the title is based solely upon her marital status.  

I've seen a trend to have one of each and split the duties, but the etiquette hell website has horror stories about two women fighting for the glory and "honor" of standing beside the bride. 

Michael is an introvert.  She is really looking forward to being married, but I think she's kind of dreading the wedding.  Being the center of attention is stressful for an introvert (voice of experience here.)  I think Brandon is an introvert too.   Some people just aren't overt with affection, especially in public, and being filmed for her parent's show is very public.   They are also both all about the 'rules' and doing the right thing. If he had work commitments he probably doesn't see trying to change them as an option. If he's already committed to working the weekend before and the weekend after I can see him not even trying to change it. As for the honeymoon, lots of couples leave for one, if they have one at all, a couple of weeks or more after the ceremony.

She's more emotional than he is, but they seem happy enough to me. Brandon is never going to be like Chad and shower affection where anyone else can see it.  I can see Michael even liking that about him.  What he shows to her is for her alone...she will know him (emotionally) in a way no one else in the world does.  That makes some girls feel special.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, THIS will show us! LOL

https://instagram.com/p/5amfQXvmfU/?taken-by=brandon_michael_jn15

And she predictably gushes: "Messages like this melt my heart and make me fall in love all over again! :') Brandon makes me feel like the most adored girl in all the world! He does the sweetest, most romantic, creative, meaningful things to remind me of his endless love. :') #iamsoblessed #ilovemyfiance #BatesKeilenWedding #25moredays"

I also think she's an introvert, but I went ahead and asked if the wedding was being filmed for the show. I'm a borderline intro/extravert (depends on the day, really), but I'd draw the line at being filmed like that. She seems glad enough to have around 800 people coming, so she apparently doesn't have an issue being in front of huge audiences. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

I did not know the new season had started so I am watching it on demand . I am up to the visit to Chicago. I loved seeing that they do not do the side hug thing. Also I that Michael had her arm resting on Brandon;s leg while they were sitting in the lobby of the hotel . They seemed like a normal dating couple.  

• Love 2

Where do you find it on demand?  I only see HBO, Showtime, History, FX on demand on my new TV.  Really, appreciate it is someone answers.

My house burned down last year and I am just back in it.  I don't' have everything returned that will be returned, and wish I could put up a registry.  In my case, if it didn't burn outright, I don't get anything back that had any fabric on it at all, like couches or dining room chairs.  Got the table, no chairs.  No clothes, no linens, no towels, no sheets, no throw or bathroom rugs, nothing from the bedrooms or bathrooms.  If not burned, melted, it was too badly smoke damaged.  Their list shows I do have a TV but they didn't return it,, nor the stand, and it's questionable if it even worked anymore.  I had some things I really didn't want to lose and can't replace, but haven't unpacked very many boxes because there is no where to put whatever is in them.  No furniture.  There is another load coming but who knows when.  It's a real mess.

Where do you find it on demand?  I only see HBO, Showtime, History, FX on demand on my new TV.  Really, appreciate it is someone answers.

My house burned down last year and I am just back in it.  I don't' have everything returned that will be returned, and wish I could put up a registry.  In my case, if it didn't burn outright, I don't get anything back that had any fabric on it at all, like couches or dining room chairs.  Got the table, no chairs.  No clothes, no linens, no towels, no sheets, no throw or bathroom rugs, nothing from the bedrooms or bathrooms.  If not burned, melted, it was too badly smoke damaged.  Their list shows I do have a TV but they didn't return it,, nor the stand, and it's questionable if it even worked anymore.  I had some things I really didn't want to lose and can't replace, but haven't unpacked very many boxes because there is no where to put whatever is in them.  No furniture.  There is another load coming but who knows when.  It's a real mess.

What cable provider do you have?  Is it an interactive guide?  With DirectTv you can search for tv shows and episodes will pop up if they're available on demand. Maybe you could see if yours has something like that?

Well, that's sweet. 

I have to say that Michael's selection of that beige and pink were kind of blah, but I suppose it suits her.  She's not flashy in the least.  It's quite opposite of Alyssa's brightly themed wedding.  I guess that with the bridesmaids dress selection, this beige is best suited for the style.  Any brighter colors would be too much for all that frill. 

I am happy for her.  I know she's probably thrilled beyond her expectations.  Congratulations to the two of them!

• Love 2

There are also a picture on the All About the Bates blog, I hope its blurry or a bad picture because Michael doesn't

look good in it. There's a couple pre-wedding pictures on the sight and Michael doesn't look good in them either.

Maybe there wasn't good lighting in the church no one really looks good in them.

Those pics were all Instagram pics from various family members, so they were taken with cell phones, nothing special. 

The reception pics (see the Fellowship thread on the Duggar board) aren't much better. Lighting there was on blast. I'll be interested to see if they got any good professional pictures out of this sad color scheme and sadder dresses. :(

Better full-length views of Erin and Alyssa in their bridesmaids dresses.  If I had to pick the lesser of two evils, it would be Alyssa's lacy pink dress over Erin's burlap sack.  But they are both pretty awful.  Despite the attire they both look like they're in fantastic shape for having had babies so recently. 

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 2

I prefer Alyssa's dress better, but oh my! They (especially Erin's dress) looks like a dress that a granny would wear to the grandchild's wedding.  (Not a "with it" granny like Bill's mom, of course!)

• Love 1

The dresses are not my taste, but Hey!  It's not MY wedding!  I've seen some really horrible gowns on Say Yes to the Dress, but the women who chose them were thrilled.  Go figure!   I just really like this family and can't snark on them the way I could on the Duggars.  How many times have I seen Kelly holding one of her grand babies?  Lots! How many times have I seen Michelle do the same?  RARELY!!  Their particular brand of Christianity is not mine but the Bates seem like a really happy and loving family--God bless them all.

• Love 5

Erin and Alyssa are beautiful, but those dresses are hideous. I went to the daintyjewels website and they have pics uploaded from other weddings where their dresses were worn by the bridal party, and I came to the conclusion that whether you are thin or big, tall or short, the dresses just aren't flattering. Modest dresses don't have to be hideous. Grrr.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

So, now that Michael(a) and Brandon have been married for two whole days - predictions on how quickly Michael(a) will announce a pregnancy?  

Presuming Michael(a) didn't inherit the same condition that Erin has* which contributed to her miscarriages, I'm going to bet Michael(a) will be pregnant within a few months and announce a pregnancy by Valentine's Day 2016.

* I believe Erin's condition is autosomal recessive (meaning she received one mutated gene from Gil, and the other from Kelly).  That means that statistically speaking, each of Gil and Kelly's kids has a 25% chance of having 0 copies of the mutated gene, 50% chance of having 1 copy and being normal, and a 25% chance of inheriting 2 mutated copies, like Erin did.  To put it another way, let's round off Gil and Kelly's total number of kids to 20, so statistically speaking, 5 will have 0 copies of the mutated gene, 10 will have 1 copy and be normal, and 5 will have 2 mutated copies.  I presume that this won't pose a fertility issue to their male children, but if any other female children inherited two mutations like Erin did, they will likely have fertility issues as well.

How big is the family Brandon came from?  I guess his family is Gothard, don't know.  Cute guy, but I don't know that family is what he wants.  It's what is expected and this is the right time to do it but I don't know if it is his nature.

I think he is one of 10 kids, and is somewhere in the middle in birth order (one of the younger, I think). Some of his older siblings don't appear to be Gothard anymore- he has older sisters who wear pants and have jobs, and there might be a brother who -gasp- only has 2 children. The family doesn't have a blog, so not a whole lot is known about them.

• Love 2

It's probably just as well that Brandon's family doesn't have a blog. They probably want to have private lives. 

I do wonder how the ratings are for the Bates show, especially now that 19 Kids and Counting has been cancelled. Have

those viewers found this show yet.

Also, will the wedding be shown for this season or will it not make it to the air until it comes back, perhaps in the fall?

I predict the Bates family will have another courtship next season. Possibly Nathan. Or the one older girl, is it Tori or

Carlin? I get them mixed up. Lawson is older but he doesn't seem interested in courting, he's more focused on his career, I think. 

My understanding is his family is Gothard, but they came across as significantly more educated than the average Fundie. His sister is unmarried, working and living in D.C. which takes a pretty darn good salary to pull off as a single person. I also recall his younger sister wearing jeans in the engagement episode, so I think they run the spectrum in how deep they are into the Kool Aid.

As for the Bates kids, Tori is older than Carlin. I agree Nathan will be the next to court, he's clearly crazy about that girl from New York, however I'm not so sure she wants to leave the city and move to TN.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

I think Michael would be devastated if she had the same condition as Erin.  I can see Erin & Chad being content with a small family, but Michael loves kids more than anything.  And Brandon, fairly or unfairly, does give off a "I'm just doing this because it's expected" vibe.

I don't know how many shows are left this season, but I hope the wedding will be included in the season finale.

I'm looking at some of the wedding pics online (unofficial pics on IG under the #bateskeilenwedding hashtags) and I don't like Michael's dress from what I can see of it. I liked it from the waist down, but other than that, she looked lovely. Kelly and Gil made some beautiful children.

Happy she opted for cute, lace flats instead of walking down the aisle barefoot like the Duggar clan.

Edited by trimthatfat

So they went with subs for the wedding? Aw, I thought the BBQ idea was really cute, but I guess subs were a more practical option.

LOL@ Michael saying she was very ready for the first kiss. I bet she tackled Brandon when they were finally alone.

• Love 1

The wedding looked far less "modern" than any of her siblings' weddings. The bridesmaids look like they are just draped in fabric and for all the talk on the show about Brandon's tux -- it just looks like he's wearing a brown suit and I'm not sure that the fit is great or that you can even see the khaki vest.

I think Michael will want to start having babies right away bc frankly it'll give her the home life she wants. With Chad and Erin and John and Alyssa -- while they got pregnant quick (I know C+E don't think they did -- but in the grand scheme they did), they seemed to have their own relationships too where it wouldn't have been bad to just have fun for a while -- getting to know each other physically but also date nights and mini vacations and Starbucks runs. With these two -- I don't predict too much fun or romance, and while Michael will never say anything -- I think she'll feel wistful about it; after all she knows that Chad is the type who brings home flowers just because and John is the type who takes Alyssa out to dinner just because. So I think an instant family is what will make her feel like a wife and a valued member of that relationship.

I'd be shocked if they had a honeymoon baby though. Somehow I don't picture them (esp him) as the type who wants to hole up in a hotel room for 3 days after a wedding just going at it as much as they can. That's how a honeymoon baby would be made, esp when you're dealing with a couple that has no experience and is still figuring everything out. And yet somehow Brandon seems like he'd want them to consummate once on the wedding night and be like -- that's great, we'll give it another go next weekend.

• Love 2