Type keyword(s) to search

Alyssa and John: Lunch with Lurch

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Are the Bates and Duggars on sort of a time out in their friendship nowadays?

You can see the older ones hanging out together in pictures on social media. You won't see them on each other's shows as long as they are on different production companies and different channels. Editing takes care of most of that, but look in the crowd shots at weddings. They usually show up for each other. 

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Joy will be a bridesmaid in Carlin's wedding, and one of the Duggar Howlers, Justin I believe, will be an usher. 

If Jana being in Michaela's wedding is any indication, there may be a brief mention, but no footage. We will likely see them in Instagram photos of the wedding party or in People stories/pictorials. They will place them in the ends so that other than sideshow where nobody is discernable, they can be cut out. 

Carlin and Joy are close, as are Michaela and Jana and Zach and John David. I don't know that any of the others are as close. But Lawson and sometimes Katie do head that way a few times a year. I don't know that the parents are as close as they used to portray. But it makes sense that the older siblings would be closer. They grew up in very insulated and isolated circumstances compared to the ones who are still kids. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 2
On 5/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, BrianJ1962 said:

Are the Bates and Duggars on sort of a time out in their friendship nowadays?

A lot of the Bates boys visited the Duggars at Christmas. The Bates and the Duggars (minus some of the married couples) were at Big Sandy when it happened. (Big Sandy was sometime in the past month).  I think many of the kids are friends and it bolls down to competing reality shows. 

• Love 2

I posted about this in the Sweet Fellowship thread of Counting On, but Alyssa Bates says she's been feeling really sick lately. She's seen a doctor and had tests run. She posted about this on Instagram. It's the text with the photo of her three daughters. I hope she's okay. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Temperance said:

I posted about this in the Sweet Fellowship thread of Counting On, but Alyssa Bates says she's been feeling really sick lately. She's seen a doctor and had tests run. She posted about this on Instagram. It's the text with the photo of her three daughters. I hope she's okay. 

I don't know what medicine she is on for her heart, but a lot of that stuff can make you feel like crap. I was shocked by how much blood pressure meds could affect my well-being. If my pressure fluctuated too much in one direction it was headaches and hot flashes. Too much in the other and I was dizzy and tired. The diagnosis and drug change took a little while because my numbers seemed normal at the doctor. 

Turns out that my issue wasn't my heart at all, but that I have cataplexy without narcolepsy. I can look like I'm fainting when my body essentially relaxes like I am asleep even when I'm awake. Most doctors would have missed it, but I had an episode in front of my doctor and he realized the issue. 

• Useful 5

Per John’s IG, Alyssa’s cardiologists think that her second ablation - done last week around the time of the hurricane - has cured her heart rhythm issue and if the issue doesn’t come back in the next 6 mos, it’ll likely never come back. As much as I snark on these people, I’m relieved for her.

And for the snark — why do these people think everyone is as enamored with their kids as they are?? She brought 3 loud kids under age 5 + John to her follow up appt?? And not just to the waiting room, but they can be seen running in circles around the exam room, climbing on the table etc with the cardiologist in the room. Cardiologists generally want silent exam rooms as they listen for subtle issues . . . . They seem to treat every place like Dr Vick’s office and assume everyone is soooo glad to see their kids bc they know all 900000 family members. I can see bringing John of course but I’m sure one of her sisters in law, MIL, or a paid sitter could’ve watched the kids for an hour.

I wonder if they’ll start trying immediately when Alyssa hits the 6 mo mark. I mean the youngest kid is already a yr and a half — very unusual for them to wait this long between kids . . . .

• Love 7

My friend is an office manager for a plastic surgeon and they don't allow children in the office at all. Their rationale is the doctor wants his patients' undivided attention and the reception staff is not there to serve as babysitters. 

• Love 9

I follow Alyssa on insta... does anyone have any information about the “friend” who sends her all matching outfits for her & the girls to wear every Sunday? Apparently she has a Instagram follower who sends matching sets & various other clothing items... where do I sign up for this sort of friend? 

All jokes aside... is she a “leg humper” fan Alyssa accepts gifts from or is she a close family friend? Tikky_pantilavillarreal. Very interesting. 

Edited by LongDenimFrumper
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/13/2019 at 5:27 PM, LongDenimFrumper said:

I follow Alyssa on insta... does anyone have any information about the “friend” who sends her all matching outfits for her & the girls to wear every Sunday? Apparently she has a Instagram follower who sends matching sets & various other clothing items... where do I sign up for this sort of friend? 

All jokes aside... is she a “leg humper” fan Alyssa accepts gifts from or is she a close family friend? Tikky_pantilavillarreal. Very interesting. 

As one of four girls, I hated matching outfits.  For the younger kids, it means years of wearing the same dress.  Although hand me downs may not be in Alyssa's wheelhouse anymore.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Why would anyone send Alyssa matching clothing for her daughters? This doesn't sound like a normal healthy thing for someone to do. 

Fans will do that. I’ve been watching “five two Love” on Facebook/You tube about a very attractive Mormon couple who have two older boys and have quint babies through many years of infertility. They sort of do their own videos with some editing help and maybe more but they regularly show gifts fans send and the mom says she hasn’t had to buy much for the Quints because of that. I hope TLC doesn’t get their claws into them and ruin them. 

Alyssa posted recently on IG about babysitting her two nieces (they weren't anyone I recognized from the Bates side so I'm assuming they were John's side) and how it was so nice to go back to just three kids when they left.  Also she posted about how much she loves drive-thrus saying how much work it is to get three little kids in and out of the car.  

Could she possibly be slowing down the baby train?? One can only hope....

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Summer said:

Alyssa posted recently on IG about babysitting her two nieces (they weren't anyone I recognized from the Bates side so I'm assuming they were John's side) and how it was so nice to go back to just three kids when they left.  Also she posted about how much she loves drive-thrus saying how much work it is to get three little kids in and out of the car.  

Could she possibly be slowing down the baby train?? One can only hope....

I wouldn't get too excited about her slowing things down. I think that medically she has been told to until they confirm her arrhythmia has been cleared up. However, just like her sisters and mother, she seems genuinely surprised each and every time she gets pregnant. Thankfully she's not like Erin who seems to want a baby five seconds after giving birth to another one. However, I don't see her closing up shop despite her protests.  

• Love 5

Since birth control is evil and forbidden, are we supposed to believe that Alyssa and John have been abstinent since their last child was born, and will continue to be for the next six months?  It's ridiculous how this family bobs and weaves to explain how they break all the rules they espouse.

• Love 1

25!?!?!? oh my god Im 25 next month and I.....

I mean I'm not gonna wear and over the top sequin dress (but best believe i own one) to the place i choose to celebrate.

I thought she was at least 30 (she also just seems 30?  but its still hard for me to fathom people *my age* could be married and have kids (let alone three of them!) (I'm going on ANOTHER first date this week jesus christ) 

Wild. 

• Love 8

Wow.  That is quite a dress.  As a blouse, or even a short dress, it would have been more appropriate, but the long gown was definitely over the top.

I bet she fell in love with the dress, and just really wanted to wear it.  She certainly couldn't wear it to a wedding, because she is always a bridesmaid.  

It may have been a bit of a YOLO moment, given her health issues this year.  She never had a prom, had to wear hideous "House of Michaela" outfits through a good part of her teens, and probably looks back on her wedding and regrets the big dangly plastic earrings and neon pink and teal colour scheme.

Some friend of hers was visiting for the weekend, and posted a story on Alyssa's Instagram.  It was a video of Alyssa and John slow dancing in their kitchen, #couplegoals.  

• Love 4

Thanks for that photo@ IndianPaintbrush.  So much for my statement that she couldn't wear that dress to a wedding! 😄 

There's an interesting array of outfits in that photo.  Michaela always looks so frumpy. Lawson  looks too casual, but maybe he ditched his tie at some point, and what the heck is Addallee wearing?  It looks something Michelle Duggar would wear. 

I only count 18 - one of the younger girls is missing.

• Love 5
On 11/11/2019 at 1:58 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

Michaela really does stand out with the frumpiness. And I remember Tennessee was having a heat wave on Josie's wedding day, so the cardigan just makes me cringe.

But you have to realize that Michaela wasn't a bridesmaid or musical entertainment like the other girls, so her outfit would be less flashy. 

• Love 1

Sadly, Michaela is usually frumpy and wears those awful sneakers with dresses. She could be so cute, stylish and still modest but she doesn't have the know-how IMO....nor does she OR Brandon care. He really seems like a guy who'd be happy with or without her there. She's way in to him more than he is in to her, sadly.

• Love 4

About Alyssa and John's cruise... I wonder if their experience will be like Pris and David's? Remember how 'shocked' and appalled they were on that cruise that they had music, dancing and alcohol served? What did they expect? They said that they spent a lot of time in their cabin reading religious material. What a waste of a vacation. I also wonder if Alyssa wears a semi-normal bathing suit on those trips? Now I'd like to see a photo of that.

• Love 2

Alyssa had a photo in her Instagram stories which showed her bathing suit.  It appeared to be a tankini with a skirted bottom.  The top had a fairly high neckline, but it was definitely something that would not look out of place on the beach or by the pool. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Glad to hear that she is having it checked out and that it doesn't appear to be heart related. There can be quite a few reasons for shortness of breath that are not heart related. For example my anemia and malabsorbtion issues can cause it when my iron or B12 are too low. 

• Useful 4

I had shortness of breath years ago...it was due to anxiety. I had minor panic attacks back then due to stress. Perhaps she's a bit more overwhelmed with things than she is allowed to acknowledge..You know,, having to 'keep sweet' and smiling all the time. I hope she is ok.

Can someone who knows how post the bathing suit photo of Alyssa on the cruise? I have to admit I'm curious about what that would look like. Thanks to anyone who can do this.

• Love 2