Type keyword(s) to search

Alyssa and John: Lunch with Lurch

• Start Topic

John apparently had horrible pain in his shoulder that they pinpointed as shingles. That wasn't that long ago, and in the video he said his shoulder still hurts. I don't know who made that diagnosis, but I guess shingles is more than the rash. 

The more you know...

46 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

John apparently had horrible pain in his shoulder that they pinpointed as shingles. That wasn't that long ago, and in the video he said his shoulder still hurts. I don't know who made that diagnosis, but I guess shingles is more than the rash. 

The more you know...

Yes, shingles pain runs along nerve paths and it’s very painful. Hopefully his case wasn’t too bad, which is probable since he’s young. I had shingles when I was in college and it wasn’t as bad as when older people get it, but it wasn’t fun. Now that I am old enough for the shingles shots, I made sure to get them. Don’t want shingles again. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

He most likely had the chicken pox before the vaccine came out in 1995. My daughter got chicken pox in 1994 and then the next year the vaccine became available. 

Shingles are horrible. I've had both of the Shingrix vaccines hoping to avoid this dreadful disease.  My sister had shingles twice and my cousin had shingles that settled in one of her eyes. She has had 2 cornea transplants. 

Sorry 3 is enough typing at the same time. 

Great minds think alike! 😉

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The more you know...

The nerve pain can linger for months after the blisters heal. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

You can still get shingles even if you've had the chicken pox vaccine. I asked my kids' pediatrician this very question back when they were younger and getting vaccinated one time, hoping they wouldn't have to go through it later in life. My hubs had shingles when he was 30. It sucked for him.  Pediatrician said you can get shingles from natural infection or the vaccine.  It settles in your system either way.

• Useful 4

John's heart converted to normal sinus rhythmn so they didn't have to do the shock thing.  Hopefully it stays that way.

I have had way to much experience with AFIB and I hope his doesn't come back anytime soon.  It's not fun.  Nor is shingles which runs in my family.  I'm counting on the shingles vaccine to prevent another case.  I had it years ago around my eye and the nerves still bother me.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

If he was so inclined, wouldn't he be eligible for Shingrix due to his outbreak? 

Evidently immuno-compromised people from 19-50 are eligible to get the shot.  I don’t know if John has any immunity issues.  When I had shingles the cut off age was 65, so it had to wait until they lowered the age.  That fact that I had it did not give me a pass to get the vaccine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Evidently immuno-compromised people from 19-50 are eligible to get the shot.  I don’t know if John has any immunity issues.  When I had shingles the cut off age was 65, so it had to wait until they lowered the age.  That fact that I had it did not give me a pass to get the vaccine.

I found out this at my last doctor's appointment I'm part of the group that needs to get it now. I thought I had 10 years before I needed to worry about that. Darn it.

45 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

If he was so inclined, wouldn't he be eligible for Shingrix due to his outbreak? 

Not until he's 50.  They generally won't give the shingles vaccine to younger people. My hubs has asked his family doctor before because he doesn't want to get it again. Very painful. Not fun. But they said he's not old enough to qualify.  We joke he'll celebrate his 50th bday by going to the pharmacy for the shot. 

• Like 2

That was scary what John went through with his heart in AFIB.  Glad the meds finally got it back in rhythm.  It appears that Alyssa is over her pregnancy sickness too.  He's had back to back painful and serious situations.  Wonder if he is stressed over another baby and getting a puppy.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ranchgirl said:

Wonder if he is stressed over another baby and getting a puppy.  

Neither John nor Alyssa seemed particularly thrilled about the baby in their announcement video, and he needed a lot of convincing to get the dog, so yeah, I imagine his stress levels are pretty high these days. I'm glad to hear he got his heart issues straightened out, though. That's some scary stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Neither John nor Alyssa seemed particularly thrilled about the baby in their announcement video, and he needed a lot of convincing to get the dog, so yeah, I imagine his stress levels are pretty high these days. I'm glad to hear he got his heart issues straightened out, though. That's some scary stuff. 

does stress bring on AFIB?

15 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Walking in hot weather can bring on afib.  My neighbor has it.  

But are they a young, healthy person? I did a little digging, and there are cases of stand alone AFib where no risk factors are present. John apparently had normal tests at the hospital, so it looks like this is what he had.

Atrial fibrillation is a serious cardiac disorder.  While it may be triggered by stuff like extremes in temperature or other stressors, it only happens in susceptible individuals.  The biggest risk in atrial fibrillation is that, while the heart is not beating properly. the atria (upper chambers) kind of quiver which causes turbulence in the blood in them which can lead to clots.  These clots can travel to the brain and cause strokes, so it is a very significant issue.  There are medications to control atrial fib, but some people lapse into and out of it regularly and need to be on blood thinners to prevent strokes.

Atrial fib can be caused by conditions like overactive thyroid in young people, so John needs tested for that.  It can also occur in people with underlying heart conditions although that's stuff like atherosclerosis or heart failure which are usually seen in older people.  People with diabetes and hypertension are more likely to develop it as are those over age 65 and those who are obese.

A young guy having atrial fib is a pretty serious thing and needs a comprehensive cardiac workup to see if they can find an underlying cause.  

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 6
3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Atrial fibrillation is a serious cardiac disorder.  While it may be triggered by stuff like extremes in temperature or other stressors, it only happens in susceptible individuals.  The biggest risk in atrial fibrillation is that, while the heart is not beating properly. the atria (upper chambers) kind of quiver which causes turbulence in the blood in them which can lead to clots.  These clots can travel to the brain and cause strokes, so it is a very significant issue.  There are medications to control atrial fib, but some people lapse into and out of it regularly and need to be on blood thinners to prevent strokes.

Atrial fib can be caused by conditions like overactive thyroid in young people, so John needs tested for that.  It can also occur in people with underlying heart conditions although that's stuff like atherosclerosis or heart failure which are usually seen in older people.  People with diabetes and hypertension are more likely to develop it as are those over age 65 and those who are obese.

A young guy having atrial fib is a pretty serious thing and needs a comprehensive cardiac workup to see if they can find an underlying cause.  

He was hospitalized for nearly 3 days, and they ran extensive tests, according to Alyssa. She said she understood a lot of the jargon based on her previous experiences. As I noted above, all tests came back normal, so they left without answers. I don't recall if they had follow up appointments set up, but I assume they must at this point.

• Useful 3

These two need to take this seriously or Alyssa could find herself a widow.  John seems to be under a lot of stress with new baby, new puppy, work, and worries about finances.  This needs to be the last baby.  Getting shingles and AFib that young should be very concerning to them.  Of course, Gil and Kelly are nowhere to be found in all this as usual.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

Gil and Kelly were spotted in Arkansas, speculation is Esther is having her baby. So of course that’s where KJ is. Nothing is more important to her than birhin’ babies.

Just as well. I doubt he'd want Kelly screeching in his ear when he doesn't feel well.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Gil and Kelly were spotted in Arkansas, speculation is Esther is having her baby. So of course that’s where KJ is. Nothing is more important to her than birhin’ babies.

Not even her two youngest starting a fire in the laundry room.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Haven’t watched the video but FWIW those who’ve watched on Reddit are saying John said he had/has shingles; shingles ups the risk for Afib. And not to say everything has to be Covid related, there is a % of people reporting getting shingles after covid - esp younger people.  Wonder if Covid, which can also cause heart complications, also had a role. From what we know they had it a while ago - last Christmas - so maybe not. But a good # of siblings seemed coughing/sneezing just after Trace’s wedding, and I think John attended. 

In any event wishing both of them good health - as much as I snark on their lives/attitudes, you hate to see anyone with health problems.

• Like 9

I had a hard time focusing on the video because the comments were making me stabby. Everyone's hoping for a boy "for John" and someone wrote it would be nice for John to have a boy to do "guy stuff" with. Are we in the 1950s or something? What's stopping John from sharing his hobbies with his daughters? Girls can swing a softball bat and hold fishing rods. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I had a hard time focusing on the video because the comments were making me stabby. Everyone's hoping for a boy "for John" and someone wrote it would be nice for John to have a boy to do "guy stuff" with. Are we in the 1950s or something? What's stopping John from sharing his hobbies with his daughters? Girls can swing a softball bat and hold fishing rods. 🙄

Most girls but not Fundie Webster girls. John doesn’t seem to want any of his daughters doing anything outside the home except maybe at their church. He only takes them on “dates” where they get all dressed up. The Webster girls haven’t been seen at soccer, softball or any sport except to watch John play.

• Sad 10
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I mean in normal families in 2022, of course. Dads do everything with girls from every type of sport to repairing car engines to building computers to fishing/camping to renovating a house [and no I don't mean buying decor at Target - I mean knocking down walls]. But in the Webster home - uh no.

John has made it 100% clear that girls = you're raising her to cook, clean, look pretty, and spew religious speak for her headship who should be showing up in another decade or so for Ally. I mean the second kid [Lexi] IS sporty. We haven't yet seen John indulge those interests even once. Why is she subject to getting dressed up w/ makeup and crappy plastic jewelry on her bday to go sit in a restaurant with John? Wouldn't it be a better activity for THIS kid to take her for her trampoline park or to a batting cage or to race go karts or to some kind of baseball/basketball/etc. college game as a birthday gift? These people never go anywhere + John is against organized activities it seems [Ally similarly can't take ballet lessons even though Alyssa wants her to] -- so why can't they put up a basketball hoop in their driveway and it can be an activity for whichever daughters want to play? Because John doesn't give a damn about these kids interests or even the things that could bring them small day to day happiness -- all that matters is getting the "raising them" part over with to hand them off to some man to make babies.

Frankly even the way both Alyssa and John talk down to the second kid is kind of mean. It just seems like they're always disappointed in her bc she doesn't want to be the helping mommy type of sister - but dammit that's what girls are put on earth to do so we better get this child's mind right ASAP.

• Sad 13

God forbid those girls get to try any sports. But if # 5 is a boy he will be swinging a bat as soon as he can walk. 🙄

My son has enrolled my 4 year old granddaughter in learn to skate classes so she can play hockey.  Guess what?  He also has a son who is too young right now but he still wants his little girl to have a chance to try the sport he loves.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

God forbid those girls get to try any sports. But if # 5 is a boy he will be swinging a bat as soon as he can walk. 🙄

Yet they have to go to JOHN's softball games w/ his damn HVAC company and dutifully clap for daddy. A grown ass man needs little girls cheering him on at his "sport" - you know the type most normal guys play for fun while enjoying beer in the dugout? But god forbid the GIRLS get to try anything. Frankly why couldn't he make that a daddy daughter activity - let them bat off a tee, throw, catch, batting cages once they're big enough.

But yeah if it's a boy, he'll have a baseball glove, basketball, and football in his possession as soon as he starts crawling.

• Sad 9

Alyssa & John must be high five-ing each other that risking her life to carry another blessing has resulted in the long awaited boy child for John. If she survives the birth they can high five again! Happy Well Done GIF by Laff

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Thank heavens. Maybe they'll stop now that John has his junior. 🙄

Doesn't Junior need a brother? You know they'll worry about a boy growing up with that many sisters.

Poor daughters. This is the last of any attention they're getting from dad [or even mom or Gil/Kelly] until it's time to walk down the aisle, when the parents will suddenly gush about how sad they are that she's leaving. I mean I guess some attention can be had for the daughters that step up with the household chores, cooking, and child rearing - so maybe Allie. And poor Lexi - she'll see a brother getting to play soccer, football, whatever and being 6 yrs older - it'll be deemed inappropriate/unladylike for her to play as by the time this kid is 6, she'll be 12. In that sense Joy Duggar had it better, she was sporty too and while she was pulled away from that by the time she was a preteen, she at least grew up playing bc she was surrounded by a pack of similarly aged boys on either side.

Edited by cereality
  • Sad 13

I figured as much. Alyssa had a self-satisfied smirk on her face in the Instagram post where she claimed not to know the gender. 

I think I actually feel worse for Maci. She's used to being fawned over and getting so much attention and all that is about to come to an abrupt end. 

• Sad 7
4 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I feel sorry for the girls. They just became less-thans, and it will never change. 

I didn't see the live, but people on Reddit commented the girls didn't look too happy, especially Allie. From what I read Alyssa made a comment about how she's going to spoil the last one and now she can blame it on gender, and people noted Allie looked a little hurt. I guess the poor kid will have to change a lot of diapers to get back in Mom's good graces. 😥

• Sad 9
18 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I didn't see the live, but people on Reddit commented the girls didn't look too happy, especially Allie. From what I read Alyssa made a comment about how she's going to spoil the last one and now she can blame it on gender, and people noted Allie looked a little hurt. I guess the poor kid will have to change a lot of diapers to get back in Mom's good graces. 😥

I saw a still from the video on Reddit, and the girls -- especially the older two -- looked sad. I know how they feel. I really do feel bad for them.  

The girls will end up wearing hand-me-downs and/or sharing clothes, and the golden penis will look like Little Lord Fauntleroy. How long after he's born until the girls get crammed into one bedroom, and Little Lord gets all new furniture, bedding, and his own room? Alyssa may be cleaner than her parents, but she obviously didn't learn shit from their mistakes. 

Of course, the leghumpers on Reddit are all spewing congratulations to people who don't know them and don't care about them except for the clicks. 🙄🤢

Edited by Heathen
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

I already felt bad for the girls just because there was going to be another baby, but I feel worse for them now. One of the worst things is that they are all going to be packed into one small bedroom so the little prince can have his own room, unless A & J decide to put the two older girls downstairs and give up having a guest room.

• Sad 6

This is going to be Carson Paine all over again. He's the golden child in that family [too bad they're unable to upgrade their housing, but even still Chad and Erin have said they're desperately trying to find a housing solution - "because you don't want a boy sharing a room with girls past age 8" - though they may miss their deadline there.] But he's still the golden boy and the girls are JUST girls. I mean HE got to go to California with Erin for Uncle Law's wedding, yet his sister who is only a year younger and just as close with Uncle Law didn't??

I see the Websters doing the same kind of thing - his own room + special activities/things just for him because OH HE'S a boy, he can appreciate going to games or driving go karts or whatever. Esp since John always says money is tight, I feel like their feeling will be like - it's enough to make sure the girls are fed and clothed [w/ hand me downs and/or Tiki attire if she doesn't move onto the boy], and extras will go to the boy having all new everything from toys to furniture in his room to clothes to sporting gear.

And did she need to SAY that she's going to spoil the last one [which this isn't] and now she has a reason bc he's a boy?? WTF. We know you feel that way but your 7 yr old isn't a toddler - she gets what you just said.

Edited by cereality
  • Sad 10
  • Applause 1

Maybe Allie will share with Golden Prince so she can take care of him. Seems like the Duggars had their infant boys go to the girls room once they were six months old. Plus Maci was in with Allie at first because their sleep schedules were similar. Well at least that was the excuse Alyssa used.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6
Just now, Heathen said:

She's clearly a graduate of the SotDRT. How embarrassing to post a second-grade error for all to see. 

And that was a SotDRT with a college graduate as a teacher. Imagine the “education” her own poor kids are receiving. 

• Sad 5