Type keyword(s) to search

Alyssa and John: Lunch with Lurch

• Start Topic

Alyssa looks fantastic! I imagine though that some of her regular followers from before she was married and adopted a more contemporary approach to fashion, might be taken aback by the contrast. I loved her outfit at church though it might be seen as immodest in some church settings. Wish I had cool clothes like that when I was expecting. I missed the cut off, I think, before they started making things more trendy.

Still lamenting that I don't get UPTV but it's still great to follow along here

Alyssa is probably my favorite Bates family member.  I love her style and the fact that she's willing to buck fundie "rules" about how women should dress.  Her honesty about needing space from the rest of the family is refreshing too.  She seems like someone I would actually be friends with IRL.

Looks like Alyssa and John didn't hold firm on the -- we don't want visitors until the baby is a month old. I'm actually surprised they were willing to hit the road (I don't imagine you'd fly?) with a one week old. At least the fact that they traveled suggests that they wanted to/it was an easy birth for Alyssa and she's feeling well; it's not like anyone could "require" them to travel so soon, whereas I had a feeling that visitors would just show up whether John and Alyssa really wanted them or not. Even when Alyssa and John said no visitors for a month, I think the middle section of the Bates girls -- Tori, Carlin, Josie -- had the reaction of "well you can't stop me," so I figured they were pretty much going to call John and Alyssa and say "hey we're on the road, we'll be at your place tomorrow," such that the new parents would have a hard time saying NO -- turn back around.

I'm actually surprised they were willing to hit the road (I don't imagine you'd fly?) with a one week old. At least the fact that they traveled suggests that they wanted to/it was an easy birth for Alyssa and she's feeling well;

So am I. Everyone I knew who gave birth didn't want to go anywhere for the first month or two. I can see why Alyssa wouldn't want that many people showing up, having to feed and entertain and since they don't live nearby who knows how long they'd stay for their visit. I do wonder if the Kelly would be the type to show up to visit and actually help out. You know cook meals and help out around the house and try to keep the visits short and keep her children from wearing out their sister too much. I don't fault them for being really excited to meet their new niece but I'd hope they or their parents would try and teach them to be respectful of Alyssa and John and not to over do it.

I imagine the car ride may not have been fantastic (though probably ok since Alyssa felt up to going at all), but once she was there -- aside from the sibling chaos, it may have been nice for Alyssa to feel a bit "pampered." Even if she wasn't pampered -- which may be hard to do in a big chaotic house -- at least she and John didn't have to worry about meals or going to get takeout for a few days; if Alyssa wanted to nap or take a shower, her mom/sisters could keep an eye on the baby and/or help John keep an eye on her since he's a brand new dad. So maybe she got a bit more rest than she would have gotten at home.

I do hope Gil and Kelly are good about saying -- let's not wear out the baby/new parents -- everyone out of Alyssa and John's room for the afternoon, let's let them rest. I feel like Gil and Kelly are understanding parents and would step in themselves or at least if Alyssa asked. When Alyssa was saying that she and John had decided no visitors for a month, and her teenage sisters started balking -- both Gil and Kelly jumped in and agreed with the new parents' wishes.

• Love 1

Another possible reason that Alyssa and John went to her parent's home vs. the whole crew coming to their house, is that there was an episode being filmed for their tv show, and given a choice, the new parents would rather have it filmed at Kelly and Gil's house instead of their own. How far would the drive from Tennessee to Florida be...longer than 8-9 hours? Babies that age do sleep a lot so maybe the trip up and back wasn't that bad. I imagine the trip that Jill and Derrick Dillard took to Texas and back with their newborn on the Duggar family bus had to be far worse than theirs. 

The Florida to Tennessee trip would be about 9 hours with no stops or traffic so not too terrible with a peaceful baby.  The Duggars to Big Sandy is closer to 5.5 hours with no stops and no traffic.  

I can see what makes it appear that way but I think it's just the dress and how she's kind of leaning back into John's arm. (I look well more than that pregnant and my youngest child is probably around Allie's age, but if I were posing for pictures for national exposure, I would either get a very slimming undergarment, or a tummy tuck)

That said, she probably is..... I had such hopes for Jill, and then Jessa, and then Erin, and I'm sure Alyssa will follow suit also.

How many grandchildren is this in total for the Bates- this will be # 6? I guess in 20 years time, they'll easily have over 100 grandchildren. Family reunions will have to be held in a place like a fire hall or outdoor lake with picnic facilities. It kind of boggles my mind.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

How many grandchildren is this in total for the Bates- this will be # 6? I guess in 20 years time, they'll easily have over 100 grandchildren. Family reunions will have to be held in a place like a fire hall or outdoor lake with picnic facilities. It kind of boggles my mind.

You mean Christmas dinner lol 

Family reunions would include super distance relatives that you didn't even know existed and their own children/grandchildren, which are very often held at an outdoor facility in the summer ;) 

Watched a little of the live stream of the Bates kids on Facebook tonight before their show, and they said that Gil and Kelly were in Florida and we should all pray for the people in Florida.  I assume they are with Alyssa and John.  I thought Alyssa and John might evacuate home to Tennessee.  I don't know where Alyssa and John live in Florida.  

They live outside of Orlando. I was also thinking about them just now when I had the Weather Channel on for a few minutes. Their area is going to get a lot of rain, but the worst of the flooding will be east of them. 

@Autumn0516 Alyssa is pregnant. Third girl named Zoey Joy.

Disclaimer:  I am a teacher without my own kids yet, so many names are "ruined for me." Thank God I prefer old school Irish (not Aidan or Liam! Haha!) and Scottish names.

I had THE most high maintenance student for two years named Zoe. I was both her grade 7 and 8 English teacher. She was mentally exhausting and I cannot believe I am even writing about her a few years later. I need a life! ?

This girl always had an excuse for everything. She'd "accidentally" leave her backpack (with her "finished HW" in it) in the car when she was dropped off at school in the morning! She would say she would "jump out of the car so fast bc they were late", but come on! Or, she left her school stuff at grandma's the night before and forgot to take it with her. Poor thing was totally ADHD but mom refused testing/resource support.

She also claimed she was being starved at home despite putting on 30lbs in one year and truly was a pathological liar. Then she'd cry in class because some family member was sick every month and she was devastated even though she never knew them. She was legit exhausting. I swear I am a good person - didn't realize how much I needed to get the "Zoe" thing off of my chest!

I personally am not a fan of the name, especially when there are so many amazing female names to choose from, but it is not my baby. Allie and Lexie aren't in the same Top Ten Lists that feature Emma, Emily, Sadie (hate that name too - makes me think of a 90 year old), Harper, Amelia, and Ava. I guess I was hoping for something else...and am shocked this baby was conceived so soon! I still think Alyssa is awesome and I love that she is not afraid to "do her", like wearing pants and working part-time!

Zoey is also also the Arnold-Klein family's daughter (on The Little Couple). Had to quit them because their kids act like monsters while both parents laugh it off instead of issuing consequences.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Thanks! I wonder if they are disappointed to have another girl since every good fundy girl should birth a few sons.  No matter, she'll be pregnant again in 6 months. 

She's popping 'em out at a clip of one per year. I'm sure she'll get a few boys eventually.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

I haven't checked on the Bates' in awhile and I went to check Alyssa's instagram , have all the pics been deleted or has she changed it?

Alyssa's account was hacked last week. All the pictures were deleted.

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Alyssa's account was hacked last week. All the pictures were deleted.

Thanks, I was wondering what was going on.  I hope she gets it sorted out. So that link is from the hackers. Im surprised hackers want to be known or is it some trophy to say you did it?