Type keyword(s) to search

Erin and Chad: Fifty Shades of Pink

• Start Topic

I have noticed she has jumped into the deep end of the pool with her "Trust in Jesus" posts lately.  She seems to be really trying to be the "holiest" of all the sisters. 

Maybe they got turned down for a mortgage on a bigger house. 🙄

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I wonder if Carlin gave them Covid.

Too much time has passed for it to be Carlin who gave it to her. Erin wouldn't have held out this long to send out a message about it. She could have had it, but I doubt she would wait to be totally well again before revealing that journey to the world. Plus the pics would have included more than just a dark shot of her and Chad. That would have been a family shot of them all in bed looking pitiful and sad.  

I'm guessing miscarriage. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Too much time has passed for it to be Carlin who gave it to her. Erin wouldn't have held out this long to send out a message about it. She could have had it, but I doubt she would wait to be totally well again before revealing that journey to the world. Plus the pics would have included more than just a dark shot of her and Chad. That would have been a family shot of them all in bed looking pitiful and sad.  

I'm guessing miscarriage. 

Erin hasn't posted on SM for quite a while. It could have been a more severe case with longer recovery time? And the kids could have easily been asymptomatic. Given that we know family members got it, but Kelly has never divulged who, leads me to believe it's adults with their own social media. 

We'll see how long it takes for Erin to come clean. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Erin hasn't posted on SM for quite a while. It could have been a more severe case with longer recovery time? And the kids could have easily been asymptomatic. Given that we know family members got it, but Kelly has never divulged who, leads me to believe it's adults with their own social media. 

We'll see how long it takes for Erin to come clean. 

I don't doubt that Erin and Chad were among those infected. I just don't think this post had that ring to it. Her post would have been more positive if it was just about COVID and less journey/trial related. While the kids would have probably been asymptomatic, I think she would have included them in the pic to say they were facing COVID as a family, etc. There would have been thank yous and shout outs to parents, siblings, or just Chad for how they helped. They would have messages thanking Michaela for cooking and/or childcare. They would thank Lawson for cutting the grass, etc. You would have had one of Erin's patented messages about how wonderful it is to be a part of a big family. Even if it was a severe case (hard to believe all the rest of the family would have stayed quiet on that), they would be thanking G-d and Jesus for protecting them. 

Erin has a very specific style with her postings. Things are usually very positive with her and all part of G-d's plan. With their way of thinking, they would not see COVID as a bad thing to be overly dramatic about and worry after it was over. They would see that as "joyous" that they survived and would want to be an "encouragement" to others. Given that they did one of the FB live events before one of the later episodes, I think they would have mentioned it then even if it was just to say they were a bit under the weather and would try to answer questions as they could. 

I would assume it is the adult children who also contracted it. From Carson's birthday pics and other such things, we know they weren't really social distancing over the summer. From the messaging on the show, it was clear that they were only following directives and didn't do anything to further protect themselves. Once the governor lifted the most restrictive bans, they were planning get togethers and parties. Never mind that multiple members of the family could be considered higher risk than others or were more at risk to pass it along. Even Gil and Kelly Jo were traveling to places like Montana (probably by plane) for vacation. 

They gave it lip service on the show, but look at how Erin was about Tori's impending labor and delivery. She made mention several times that the governor might shut down the state. However, she never directly said or even considered that maybe they should limit exposure because the situation was getting worse. It was laying all of that at the governor's discretion. She was saying she didn't know what they would do if they couldn't all work together in the storage unit, but they didn't show her or Carlin actually attempting to work remotely in answering emails or ordering more product. She decorated the nursery for Tori and Michaela provided a meal, but what about after the birth? Did Erin drop off freezer meals? The show indicated that Addallee and Katie babysat for Kade. Did Erin offer to have him over with her kids to watch? That might have been a safer scenario than Katie coming into Tori's apartment when Katie was at that point rushing to finish cosmetology hours before the school closed to in person sessions. I'm assuming they didn't just say, "nice new baby...bye."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I feel bad for her genuinely but is this family EVER going to stop traveling or gathering? IDK that Erin and Chad traveled because they really don't travel much to begin with but she's def posted pics where Chad is out working and he works with Trace/Warden/Jackson/Isiah -- and oh look Trace/Warden/Jackson/Isiah went on vacation with mom and dad to Florida over the summer. Or she's with Carlin in the "boutique" shed and Carlin and Evan NEVER stopped traveling. In fact just this weekend she took a flight to Arkansas AGAIN visiting Joy Duggar and he is in Nashville AGAIN with his family; this comes a week after they went to Orlando with his family and a few weeks before that there was ANOTHER flight to Arkansas and they go to Nashville to see his family practically ever weekend and while there it's always pics at Top Golf etc. Even in Orlando, they posted pics -- literally one masked pic which I suspect was the day they went to Disney since the Disney parks are requiring it, but the rest of the time -- they were at those sketchy carnival attractions that are on International Drive etc. -- no masks, neither them nor the workers standing right by them getting them buckled into those carnival rides. Evan and Carlin can do what they want but then they come back and they ALL gather -- Evan plays some ball game with Jackson/Warden/Isiah and then J/W/I go work with Chad etc. And then early on there were pics of Carson going with Bradley to wherever Zach&Whit took Bradley for his birthday. I get it -- often people let their kid invite their bestie on a birthday outing but there is a PANDEMIC?!? Now Bradley is hanging with Z&W and oh yeah Z works as a cop so he's all over town; though I guess that doesn't matter as much if Erin is already seeing Whit in the boutique shed.

I guess with a family that's so big, local and SO intertwined it is hard to separate -- but my God just have the working guys continue working together and other than that DON'T socialize esp when the people you socialize with are traveling all over.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Temperance said:

The Kardashians are doing a bad job of social distancing and living it up with partying and such. It seems to have brought down their show. Too bad it hasn't brought down the Duggar/Bates shows yet!

They had already announced that the show was ending before the news of the private island birthday party surfaced.  But their brand, especially Kim's is going to take a hit.  

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

They had already announced that the show was ending before the news of the private island birthday party surfaced.  But their brand, especially Kim's is going to take a hit.  

Kim wasn't handling the pandemic well before that. I forget what she did, but she pissed people off long before that. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Gweilo said:

How do Erin and Chad afford three surgeries, and general medical care?

She's likely on Medicaid. Chad has his own business so he can probably do creative accounting to keep their income low enough to qualify. There's no way they're paying for private insurance for a family of six.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, and I hope she makes a full recovery.  But they have 4 healthy children, so it isn't a tragedy.  Carson will not have a brother, but he will be fine.  I have 4 brothers and being the only girl did not hurt me one bit.

I wonder if on some level they are both relieved that God made the decision for them (as they would put it) ?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It looks like Chad's prayers have been answered. No way that man wasn't worried about continuing to support an ever-growing family in that small house. The Paines still need another bedroom for Carson. The time will arrive and they can't avoid it. I hope Erin is well and remains that way. This is a perfect opportunity for her to actually focus on the children she has and maybe really know them and nurture their talents and interests.

No more baby fever for Erin. Now, let's see if they adopt.

• Love 6

I'm worried about her.   Seems her entire worth revolves around being an awesome mother, perpetually pregnant with yet another blessing, living in an environment where babies are as plentiful as a fistful of M&M's.   Between the disappointment and  the crash her hormones will no doubt cause, things could get very challenging around Erin.   

• Useful 1
On 2/8/2021 at 4:32 PM, Tikichick said:

I'm worried about her.   Seems her entire worth revolves around being an awesome mother, perpetually pregnant with yet another blessing, living in an environment where babies are as plentiful as a fistful of M&M's.   Between the disappointment and  the crash her hormones will no doubt cause, things could get very challenging around Erin.   

I know it will be hard, but Erin should remember she has children, and she has a sister who can't have them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

I know it will be hard, but Erin should remember she has children, and she has a sister who can't have them.

I agree.  Actually I am very worried about Michaela if Erin's struggle causes her to become bitter.

• Love 6
On 2/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, Tikichick said:

I agree.  Actually I am very worried about Michaela if Erin's struggle causes her to become bitter.

I had the same thought. When the Bringing Up Bates show first started every interview with Erin was about the miscarriage of the baby due around the same time as Bradley. For that entire first season all that was said about Erin was that she was having problems sustaining a pregnancy - like it was her identity. 

Michaela has managed to carve out some sort of identity beyond that. However, the difference with which Kelly Jo has reacted to Erin versus Michaela has been pretty jarring. With Erin there were conversations and interviews that Erin was so strong and had been through so much, etc. With Michaela it has been a oh that sucks/we'll pray for you kind of vibe. Zach has shown more compassion for his sisters than Kelly Jo or Gil ever has on the show. Maybe they are more demonstrative off screen, but on screen I do feel for the way Michaela seems pushed aside unless Kelly Jo needs something. 

• Love 13

Poor Michaela is just a workhorse for them.  I can’t believe that  she gets no sympathy for her struggles with infertility.  
I think in some twisted way they think that getting pregnant and losing the baby is a tragedy on a much greater scale than not being able to get pregnant at all.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Poor Michaela is just a workhorse for them.  I can’t believe that  she gets no sympathy for her struggles with infertility.  
I think in some twisted way they think that getting pregnant and losing the baby is a tragedy on a much greater scale than not being able to get pregnant at all.

Agree 100%. I remember the episode where the Bates women traveled to Florida before Tori's wedding. They were on the beach, joking about married life and Kelly said something like "Maybe Erin and Alyssa can give you some pointers." Meanwhile, a very married Michaela was sitting right in front of her. It's like she wasn't part of the club, because she only fulfilled half her life's purpose. It was very sad. 

8 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

I had the same thought. When the Bringing Up Bates show first started every interview with Erin was about the miscarriage of the baby due around the same time as Bradley. For that entire first season all that was said about Erin was that she was having problems sustaining a pregnancy - like it was her identity. 

Michaela has managed to carve out some sort of identity beyond that. However, the difference with which Kelly Jo has reacted to Erin versus Michaela has been pretty jarring. With Erin there were conversations and interviews that Erin was so strong and had been through so much, etc. With Michaela it has been a oh that sucks/we'll pray for you kind of vibe. Zach has shown more compassion for his sisters than Kelly Jo or Gil ever has on the show. Maybe they are more demonstrative off screen, but on screen I do feel for the way Michaela seems pushed aside unless Kelly Jo needs something. 

6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Agree 100%. I remember the episode where the Bates women traveled to Florida before Tori's wedding. They were on the beach, joking about married life and Kelly said something like "Maybe Erin and Alyssa can give you some pointers." Meanwhile, a very married Michaela was sitting right in front of her. It's like she wasn't part of the club, because she only fulfilled half her life's purpose. It was very sad. 

I really don't think Kelly gives a crap about Michael. She's just someone for Kelly to use. She used her to raise her kids and whenever Michael comes home the moment she comes through the door Kelly's there to give her work to do or someone to shove her kids on for "visits" to Chicago. When Michael was talking about moving back to TN all Kelly could talk about was Michael coming over to help her out. Which of course Michael agreed to in the afternoons. She has no interest or use for Michael for anything else. She wanted Michael to come and take care of the kids when Kelly was down due to her eye surgery. One of the bridal or baby showers Kelly forgot to bring the food and who does she call to take care of it? Michael. Which of course she did. I really which Michael would see it but I'm not sure she does.   

1 minute ago, Kiss my mutt said:

They treat Michaela like “damaged goods” and that God not showing her “favor” must be a sign of a disobedient heart, like she deserves to be infertile. I’m so glad she doesn’t live close by to them. 

She does live close to them. They moved back to TN so she could attend school. She apparently lives very close to Carlin, who ropes her in for babysitting duty. 😢

Edited by emmawoodhouse
5 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

She does live close to them. They moved back to TN so she could attend school. She apparently lives very close to Carlin, who ropes her in for babysitting duty. 😢

Oh no! I don’t get UP tv so I just kinda follow along here so must have missed that tidbit!

• Love 2

More info on Erin's condition from US Weekly:

“I’ve had COVID twice and ever since the second time that I had it, I started having all of these female issues and it caused a lot of internal bleeding,” the Bringing Up Bates star, 29, said on Thursday, February 26. “So with the first surgery, they just removed all of the blood. The second surgery, they ended up taking out one of my ovaries. And then the last surgery, they removed most of my second ovary. So right now, we’re just dealing with trying to balance hormones with hormone therapy and stuff like that.”

The reality star opened up about her “crazy” hormones, saying that she is “either crying or upset.” The UPtv personality is also suffering from “night sweats … and mood swings, almost like when you go through menopause.”

“I think one of the hardest parts for me would probably be the fact that to ever get pregnant again would be, like, a huge miracle because I basically have one third of an ovary left, but it’s very scarred from three surgeries. So at this point, it’s not in the question at all, which is sad because me and Chad always talked about having at least 10 children, but you never know what God has for the future. Sometimes it’s not like what you plan or how you envision it. So I don’t know what God has for us down the road, but we’re definitely open to many options.”

The Tennessee native is “grateful” for the four children she does have, gushing, “I’m going to just really treasure them and thank the Lord for the four blessings that we already have.”

• Useful 2

A good interviewer could have a field day interviewing Erin with all her contradictions.

"You say women should be keep sweet and modest." Cue a montage of Erin not being sweet.

"You say women should submit to their husbands." Cue a montage of Erin telling Chad what to do.

"You say you'll have as many kids as God wants." God tries to limit her to four and she's going to have ten anyway.

• Love 5
On 2/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, BitterApple said:

"Open to many options" basically means Erin's going to keep trying for babies even if it kills her. She's a moron and so is Chad. 

Oh god, she (& Kelly) are going to bully Michael into being her surrogate, aren't they

• Love 2

As much as I don't agree with Erin's aspirations for 10 kids etc., I certainly feel bad for what she has been thru healthwise and wouldn't snark on her.

But I legitimately don't understand this family. In many circles and in many (most?) parts of the country covid WAS billed as NBD -- just a fever that east and west coasters were freaking out and shutting down the economy for. And in this family I think they've put out that Erin; Carlin; Evan; Josie and maybe Kelton though unclear on him; and maybe someone in the Zach/Whit family had it (though I do recall there being some kind of season update where there was a screen saying multiple family members had it so who knows maybe there are others as well). Ok so most of these people are young 20 somethings so it prob was a fever etc. for a week. But reality is there ARE members of their family who've had complications -- didn't Josie say she miscarried after she recovered from covid sometime in the late summer/fall? And then Erin also had covid in August and had complications.

Yet this family continued to party the whole time as if NBD -- even though 2 people in THEIR family experienced something more than just a fever!? I mean Carlin & Evan went to Arkansas to buy a car from the Duggars; flew back home to Knox; have visited/stayed with or hosted Joy Duggar at least 3-4 times in the last 6 months; went to Disney on vacation with Evan's family; went on a summer beach vacation to Fla with the Bates clan where they also met up with Alyssa - you know with the heart issue; the Bates clan went to Alyssa's for thanksgiving; recently the whole clan went skiing in Colorado; hosted I Love You Day; and all of them go to church/church choirs etc. as if NBD bc if church is allowed, of course you go. WTH!? And they're usually always maskless -- or wearing it as a chin strap only to pull it up where someone will be checking like just before boarding a plane or walking into a building. 

I can see how you'd take something lightly if you really had not seen the effects of it. But this is a family where there are clotting disorders (at least amongst women - we don't know about the men bc they've likely never been tested since men's clotting has nothing to do with their fertility) and covid is one of those awful things where the complications can be unrelated to respiratory effects -- i.e. things like clotting. And STILL they didn't cut back their activities? Sure now there are vaccines out so maybe the ski vacation was more acceptable but really are all 2 dozen people who went skiing vaccinated with 2 shots as of 2 weeks ago? Unlikely given that the vaccine wasn't THAT broadly available and they'd really have to chase it down and I don't see them as the types who are like -- yeah I wake up at 5 am every day bc that's when spots open at my local pharmacies. In fact I wonder if they'd even get the vaccine at all -- I know Evan's brother was all over IG with the vax conspiracy theories re computer chips or whatever.

The only people who've been MIA this last year have been Brandon and Michael. They didn't go on the Florida summer vacation, nor the Thanksgiving trip, nor the ski trip, nor do I ever see them in the church pics. I assume they were at I Love You day though haven't seen pics. They tend to lay low on IG anyway but they do tend to post when they go places/do stuff together and it's been a quiet year for them -- and Michael's most recent post was re an outdoor picnic with Brandon. I wonder if they're just staying away from the family/others as much as possible until they can be vaccinated (which Michaela might be already as a nursing student but Brandon likely not as a young work from home guy). I could see them using school as an excuse -- oh we've been sooo busy -- or oh it isn't safe for YOU for us to stop by all the time bc Michaela sees patients while secretly being relieved they don't have to go. Even early on Lawson would go mow Michael/Brandon's lawn and she'd leave dinner or an iced coffee or whatever on the porch for him -- not invite him in or even go out and chat with him. I could see school being a decent excuse here - Michaela is trying to wrap up nursing school I believe this semester and during the update show Brandon had said that he was using the quarantine downtime by taking some coursework/certification dealing with computer editing etc. I could just see them being more up to date and well read on what's going on.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, cereality said:

As much as I don't agree with Erin's aspirations for 10 kids etc., I certainly feel bad for what she has been thru healthwise and wouldn't snark on her.

But I legitimately don't understand this family. In many circles and in many (most?) parts of the country covid WAS billed as NBD -- just a fever that east and west coasters were freaking out and shutting down the economy for. And in this family I think they've put out that Erin; Carlin; Evan; Josie and maybe Kelton though unclear on him; and maybe someone in the Zach/Whit family had it (though I do recall there being some kind of season update where there was a screen saying multiple family members had it so who knows maybe there are others as well). Ok so most of these people are young 20 somethings so it prob was a fever etc. for a week. But reality is there ARE members of their family who've had complications -- didn't Josie say she miscarried after she recovered from covid sometime in the late summer/fall? And then Erin also had covid in August and had complications.

Yet this family continued to party the whole time as if NBD -- even though 2 people in THEIR family experienced something more than just a fever!? I mean Carlin & Evan went to Arkansas to buy a car from the Duggars; flew back home to Knox; have visited/stayed with or hosted Joy Duggar at least 3-4 times in the last 6 months; went to Disney on vacation with Evan's family; went on a summer beach vacation to Fla with the Bates clan where they also met up with Alyssa - you know with the heart issue; the Bates clan went to Alyssa's for thanksgiving; recently the whole clan went skiing in Colorado; hosted I Love You Day; and all of them go to church/church choirs etc. as if NBD bc if church is allowed, of course you go. WTH!? And they're usually always maskless -- or wearing it as a chin strap only to pull it up where someone will be checking like just before boarding a plane or walking into a building. 

I can see how you'd take something lightly if you really had not seen the effects of it. But this is a family where there are clotting disorders (at least amongst women - we don't know about the men bc they've likely never been tested since men's clotting has nothing to do with their fertility) and covid is one of those awful things where the complications can be unrelated to respiratory effects -- i.e. things like clotting. And STILL they didn't cut back their activities? Sure now there are vaccines out so maybe the ski vacation was more acceptable but really are all 2 dozen people who went skiing vaccinated with 2 shots as of 2 weeks ago? Unlikely given that the vaccine wasn't THAT broadly available and they'd really have to chase it down and I don't see them as the types who are like -- yeah I wake up at 5 am every day bc that's when spots open at my local pharmacies. In fact I wonder if they'd even get the vaccine at all -- I know Evan's brother was all over IG with the vax conspiracy theories re computer chips or whatever.

The only people who've been MIA this last year have been Brandon and Michael. They didn't go on the Florida summer vacation, nor the Thanksgiving trip, nor the ski trip, nor do I ever see them in the church pics. I assume they were at I Love You day though haven't seen pics. They tend to lay low on IG anyway but they do tend to post when they go places/do stuff together and it's been a quiet year for them -- and Michael's most recent post was re an outdoor picnic with Brandon. I wonder if they're just staying away from the family/others as much as possible until they can be vaccinated (which Michaela might be already as a nursing student but Brandon likely not as a young work from home guy). I could see them using school as an excuse -- oh we've been sooo busy -- or oh it isn't safe for YOU for us to stop by all the time bc Michaela sees patients while secretly being relieved they don't have to go. Even early on Lawson would go mow Michael/Brandon's lawn and she'd leave dinner or an iced coffee or whatever on the porch for him -- not invite him in or even go out and chat with him. I could see school being a decent excuse here - Michaela is trying to wrap up nursing school I believe this semester and during the update show Brandon had said that he was using the quarantine downtime by taking some coursework/certification dealing with computer editing etc. I could just see them being more up to date and well read on what's going on.

Well said!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I doubt COVID caused her all the reproductive problems. 

Honestly, I think saying that "COVID makes you infertile" might be the only way to get some of these Fundies to take it seriously, and even then I have my doubts.

• Love 4
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Gweilo said:

Honestly, I think saying that "COVID makes you infertile" might be the only way to get some of these Fundies to take it seriously, and even then I have my doubts.

Honestly they're not gonna believe "Covid makes you infertile" as much as they're gonna believe the VACCINE makes you infertile. I believe that's one of the conspiracy theories out there. I'm guessing this family isn't running around looking for the vax. The Stewart family (IDK about E&C but Evan's loud mouthed younger bro) totally buys the vax conspiracies so I wouldn't doubt if the Bates do too, as well as other fundies.

Also one of the pre pubescent Duggar boys got married last week in Texas. I wonder how much of the Bates clan traveled for that and rubbed elbows with all the other unmasked guests. The Duggars/whoever he married put out a pretty clear statement that guests "would not be forced to wear masks" and would mingle as if it was 2019 -- so yay shared cheez its at the reception for everyone! Lawson seems like he went bc he was posting from the Fort Worth rodeo later in the weekend, but I'd be surprised if he went alone.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 3

I don't know how much of Erin's condition was affected by the virus, but having it TWICE can't have helped. The mountain of medical bills they must be facing boggles the mind.

4 hours ago, cereality said:

The only people who've been MIA this last year have been Brandon and Michael.  I wonder if they're just staying away from the family/others as much as possible until they can be vaccinated (which Michaela might be already as a nursing student but Brandon likely not as a young work from home guy). 

Interesting. I hope this is the case.

• Love 3
On 2/28/2021 at 6:18 PM, iwantcookies said:

I doubt COVID caused her all the reproductive problems. 

When you consider that some of the most devastating damage that Covid has been known to cause is vascular in nature and you combine that in a person known to have taken multiple treatments to address a "clotting" issue during pregnancy, it seems to me that presents an increased potential for Covid to run amuck.   I'm definitely not a doctor or medically trained, but even I can recognize the potential for dots to be connected that simply haven't been recognized with this novel virus.    

• Love 8

Or  4 closely spaced pregnancies with daily doses of Heparin  could have contributed to the problems.
There is so much we don’t know about COVID and its effects. It could very well have caused Erin’s reproductive issues.  However, it is also possible  that she pushed her luck with too many pregnancies in quick succession.

• Love 8