Type keyword(s) to search

Erin and Chad: Fifty Shades of Pink

• Start Topic

If there is any criticism to be doled  out, it should be TLC for they way they edit.  Perhaps  it is TLC that used a serious situation to their advantage. They create the story lines with their interviews and filming.

TLC doesn't air this show. UP TV does.

• Love 1

I know this is not about the pregnancy and I'm sure it's been asked before....I just couldn't find a better place to ask. What's up with Erins hair? The rest of the girls look so modern even compared to the Duggar girls. She looks like she's trying to look like Loretta Lynn! It is not flattering to her in the least and I think (other than that God awful hair) Erin is a cute girl. I cannot even see past her hideous hair!

I know this is not about the pregnancy and I'm sure it's been asked before....I just couldn't find a better place to ask. What's up with Erins hair? The rest of the girls look so modern even compared to the Duggar girls. She looks like she's trying to look like Loretta Lynn! It is not flattering to her in the least and I think (other than that God awful hair) Erin is a cute girl. I cannot even see past her hideous hair!

Maybe she just likes it that way? 

• Love 6

I'm aware that I'm already predisposed to believe what the Bates kids say about what they plan to do as adults related to their upbringing over the Duggars, but man, I sure do actually believe Erin when she says that her parenting will be similar but not necessarily the same as her parents' parenting, that they're going to consider her health over a mega-family, etc. 

So she had 3 miscarriages before getting pregnant this time, and they were married in November of 2013? If she's 22 weeks/due in early June, she would have gotten pregnant in mid-September, which means there were about 9 months during which she would have had those 3 miscarriages, so they really must have been back to back to back. That's rough.

If everything Erin said in the article is true, she lucked out in the Fundie husband department. I can't see any of the Duggar men doing all the 'wimmin's work' so their ailing wife could rest.

The Duggar son/son in law would just ask for JB and Michelle to send over a sister to take care of cooking, laundry, and cleaning. I'm impressed at Chad's initiative in acting like a husband and dad and just taking care of household stuff himself. I do think Erin is conditioned to having child after child, but I tend to believe them a little -- if a dr. told them to stop or that they needed to wait a significant amount of time between kids bc she couldn't be on heparin again immediately, I feel like they'd wait or at least consider waiting. I don't see them limiting to 1-2 kids -- I think they'll do everything possible to still have a large family, but large may mean like 4-6 and not 12 or 19.

I'm aware that I'm already predisposed to believe what the Bates kids say about what they plan to do as adults related to their upbringing over the Duggars, but man, I sure do actually believe Erin when she says that her parenting will be similar but not necessarily the same as her parents' parenting, that they're going to consider her health over a mega-family, etc. 

So she had 3 miscarriages before getting pregnant this time, and they were married in November of 2013? If she's 22 weeks/due in early June, she would have gotten pregnant in mid-September, which means there were about 9 months during which she would have had those 3 miscarriages, so they really must have been back to back to back. That's rough.

The D&C that they publicized, which appeared to be the first, happened in March. She and Whitney had due dates a week or two apart, and Whitney announced around Valentine's Day pretty much before the pee stick had even dried. So, that brings the window down to 6 months for the three. Despite what we were told about Erin's independent life giving piano lessons, etc., I think that only happened for the first couple of months; she appears to have been in the early first trimester of four back-to-back pregnancies most of the rest of the year. They've been married about 15 months (in a few days). She's more than halfway through this pregnancy, and probably had about 20 or so weeks invested in the other three. That's almost a full year right there. 

I wonder if she goes on bedrest after a certain point? Anyone? I am glad that she's realistic about family size, given that this issue isn't going to go away, and those shots have to be quite costly to keep up for almost an entire pregnancy. 

I really am so happy for them. And I'm pleased that they do speak so candidly about miscarriage. It's still kind of a taboo topic even in mainstream culture so I'm glad that they aren't shying away from it. Hopefully it can encourage others.

I'm relieved she was so far along before announcing! I'm 17 weeks with my second and still paranoid something will go horribly wrong. I'm assuming they'll announce the sex on an upcoming episode?

I really am so happy for them. And I'm pleased that they do speak so candidly about miscarriage. It's still kind of a taboo topic even in mainstream culture so I'm glad that they aren't shying away from it. Hopefully it can encourage others.

I'm relieved she was so far along before announcing! I'm 17 weeks with my second and still paranoid something will go horribly wrong. I'm assuming they'll announce the sex on an upcoming episode?

I don't think Erin was far enough along during taping (ended in December, so according to my calculations - mid-September conception - too soon for a gender reveal). I guess all of this hinges on whether the show gets picked up for a second season, and how soon they start taping. Who knows, maybe they are already, but if so, the Bateses have been mum....and Alyssa revealed gender through (edit) US mag rather than waiting...only 8 weeks ahead of Erin and already fairly late, all things considered.

Edited by Sew Sumi

I'm happy for Erin and Chad, mainly because of the heartbreak that they have experienced, and they seem to want a baby so badly. Now, the REST of the Bates/Duggar crew, I tend to groan when I hear a pregnancy announcement (Anna's latest "blessing" produced a groan and a massive eye roll). Context.

If everything Erin said in the article is true, she lucked out in the Fundie husband department.

I really adore Chad, despite his religious leanings. I liked that, in the gardening episode, all of the Bateses said they call him for everything. He's willing to help out when he can. He's a sweet guy, I think, and he and Erin seem to go well together. I was worried at first because I thought it might be a case of too-good-to-be-true, but I think he loves and, furthermore, respects Erin, which is something many others in their sect may not get.

Good for them.

• Love 6

I never doubted that Chad wasn't the right one for Erin they are so perfect together. Chad is so sweet I wish I could bottle him.

Hadn't thought about it before but now that you said it, me too! I'd love for my daughter to find someone like Chad, minus any religious expectations.

• Love 2

His soft tone kinda creeps me out a bit (don't really know why.....) but I would love to have a guy like Chad that can do anything and everything lol.

I know right.... Except.... My husband can build a house from nothing, build cabinets, remodel whole houses, he is great at it, owns his own company which allows me to be a stay at home mom but my house, pufft!!! Half finished projects, a disaster area, a place I don't often invite people over to. You know, the shoe makers kids and all that.......

It's nice in theory. We have been repainting our bright red kitchen to a nice shade of green for the past few months, cabinets included. Ran out of paint and now we are tearing out walls and turning the master bedroom into the kitchen to give us an open floor plan and the kitchen into the master bedroom. It's nuts I tell ya!

• Love 2

I know right.... Except.... My husband can build a house from nothing, build cabinets, remodel whole houses, he is great at it, owns his own company which allows me to be a stay at home mom but my house, pufft!!! Half finished projects, a disaster area, a place I don't often invite people over to. You know, the shoe makers kids and all that.......

It's nice in theory. We have been repainting our bright red kitchen to a nice shade of green for the past few months, cabinets included. Ran out of paint and now we are tearing out walls and turning the master bedroom into the kitchen to give us an open floor plan and the kitchen into the master bedroom. It's nuts I tell ya!

Haha that is true!! I have an uncle that is a general contractor and my aunt and uncle's house was in construction for like 20 years, swear to god.  Most of the inside is finished now and the kitchen is really freaking gorgeous but it must have driven my aunt nuts to live in a construction zone all those years. 

I just borrow my friend's husband ;)  Unfortunately they live about 45 min away so I can't call on him too often and all of my other friends' husbands are pretty worthless in that area. 

When watching a Trailer where Chad comes home, I was pleasantly surprised to see Erin putting her hands up his Tshirt sleeves, it does show genuine love (and lust, cough).

I always thought Chad was fairly "manly" but now I'm not so sure. What is it with those Gothard type Boys that they are usually on the "feminine" side?

The men shown in this series probably depicts the ideal man - not "feminine" at all.  After many years of marriage I appreciate a man who  supports his wife.  To share chores, pitch in when needed or whatever only shows a mature person. We have progressed from the 1960s.  What is not manly to pitch in to help in family projects or chores when the wife is sick or the extended family lacks the knowledge for instance with gardening?

Many women imagine the hulky guy as the great husband of their future only to find out the soft spoken guy they passed by was the loyal dependable moral one.

• Love 3

Erin announced in Instagram today that next week's episode will reveal the gender of Baby Paine. 

eta: Erin's post was not to solicit viewers (as the Duggars would do). She just posted an ultrasound pic of Baby Paine sucking its toe, and waxed rhapsodic about how cute it was. :) Someone asked her about the gender in the comments and she responded with the information about the show. It's refreshing to see that the Bateseseses, save Lawson, are neophytes at the famewhore game.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

I was looking through their instagram, and Chad is really handy. He makes beautiful furniture. Erin is lucky that he can do so many things.

He really does! I think it's awesome that he's so creative and handy. From what I remember, he has some kind of managerial position at a factory, but I wonder if he's considered having a side furniture business. It'd probably be too time consuming, but his work is beautiful.

Edited by trimthatfat

He really does! I think it's awesome that he's so creative and handy. From what I remember, he has some kind of managerial position at a factory, but I wonder if he's considered having a side furniture business. It'd probably be too time consuming, but his work is beautiful.

It really is. No wonder the Bateses take advantage of him.

It really is. No wonder the Bateses take advantage of him.

I wonder if Erin will pull an Alyssa at some point and move back to Chad's hometown. She's matured quite a bit these last few years and is likely to get tired of her husband being treated as an on call handyman. It was one thing when it was just the two of them but now they'll be juggling work, home and baby. The neediness of her family will get old fast.

LOL, my widowed mother is constantly asking my husband to do fix-it jobs around the house.  He doesn't mind one bit, and I doubt Chad does either. Erin strikes me as the type who really needs physical proximity to her family.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 1

Got the exact same thing going on here, IndianPaintbrush. It's part of his personality, and Chad just seems that way as well. While John Webster seems like a perfectly nice guy, he doesn't strike me as similar to Chad in that way. Nothing wrong with that.

We haven't seen enough of them to know their true personalities -- but Chad strikes me like the type who likes to be needed, likes to help, and enjoys having a project outside of work at all time. While I'm sure he's doing a lot for his and Erin's house -- I don't imagine he has a project every single week; so I can imagine him being over a the Bates' home and then saying -- you know we're going to get someone to re finish that old dining table (or whatever) in the garage, and him piping up saying - oh I'm done Carson's room next week, I can help after that.

I don't think they're forcing him to help. I mean he could easily have weaseled out of things and/or kept his talents to himself. Just after he got married, he was shown at the Bates home giving the youngest boys haircuts. I mean if he wasn't interested, he easily could have said -- sorry I have never cut a baby's hair before and don't feel comfortable with clippers near them.

Chad seems to want to be involved, while John seems like he's happy to do a visit 1-2 times a yr to keep Alyssa happy, but otherwise would be horrified if he had to jump in on a task while visiting.

One instagram post said he was born May 14, but the People article said May 15 (today).  Do we know when he was born?

I'm very glad she had a successful delivery.  It sounds like she could have had some dangerous complications, taking a blood thinner all those months.  Thankfully, mommy and baby are both healthy. 

(edited)

Very happy for Chad and Erin.  I hope they don't feel obligated to have 18 more. 

There's an error in the People article.  Erin is not the second eldest of her siblings, she's the third.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush

Taking a blood thinner twice daily for months doesn't seem to lend itself to a c-section unless it's a dire emergency.  Even a natural delivery is a risk for massive blood loss.  For Erin, a home birth is never going to be a possibility, and I really hope they will consider some type of birth control so she doesn't have to deal with one heartbreaking miscarriage after another for the next 15 years or so. A large family is also never going to be a possibility for her...at least not a biological one.  Thankfully, the Bateses have a firmer grasp of the 'as many as God has planned for us' concept.  They may be willing to interpret her difficulties as God saying "I want you to have a small family" and take appropriate steps to comply.  (I would.) 

I love me some Erin, she is just adorable. But her latest IG is of extra birth announcements she's willing to mail to people if they put their home address in the comments. Come on, people!!

I love me some Erin, she is just adorable. But her latest IG is of extra birth announcements she's willing to mail to people if they put their home address in the comments. Come on, people!!

I am guessing she deleted the post where she asked for addresses. I just see a post with a picture of addressed envelopes. Kind of weird that people would want birth announcements for a child they don't know and will likely never meet.

• Love 1

Yes, she deleted the initial post. I know I certainly tagged her and told her that what she was doing was potentially dangerous! I did the same in the second post, before I noticed that she said she took screenshots of the addresses before eventually deleting that post. She's really naive when it comes to social media, as are the tween leghumpers who begged for the announcements. Thankfully, I wasn't the only one imploring her to remove the addresses, and some figured out they could DM Erin, but I doubt Erin reads her DMs. It is, after all, mostly an account for fans, although I'm sure people they meet at conferences monitor the social media as well. I doubt the Bateses remember most of the people they meet these days and become closer to even fewer. 

• Love 1