Type keyword(s) to search

Zach and Whitney: The Constable and the Carhop

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

So with all the talk about the boutique and all of Carlin’s postings it just occurred to me that one of the partners is MIA.  Erin was not even at the strategy meeting.  I wonder if she is still struggling with long COVID. No posts on her Instagram since mid July either.

You're right. I hope she's ok. As much as I snark on these people and I HATE their handling of the pandemic, I still want her to be ok healthwise. She posts IG stories here and there though very sporadic lately of the kids running around feeding the animals with Chad with some kind of #blessed for living the simple family life type of message. But even those posts aren't frequent anymore. They did go to the beach in June I think with his parents/his side of the family so she was at least ok enough to travel then but that was 6+ weeks ago - a long time in a pandemic.

Best case scenario she's pulling back from the boutique and it becomes a Carlin and Whit (& Zach thing) but I feel like if she did that she'd be posting passive aggressive things all over insta re how she is soooo glad she is home with her kids full time and really raising them and focusing on their needs blah blah. Worst case (and I hope not) - the covid complications from before are continuing or she has it again with this new variant and they've been too busy with that/drs appts etc. to make everything look all perfect on social media or deal with the boutique. Also a possibility with her - she's super depressed not being able to have more kids and is withdrawing from life with no interest anymore in the boutique, nor in being around sisters who all have newborns and/or are trying to get pregnant and is just laying in bed or having a meltdown doing laundry (a la Michelle Duggar though the reasons were different) and having Chad cook/clean/raise the existing kids/earn the money. I don't put that past Erin actually.

Edited by cereality
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Erin did re-post a really funny IG story video of Lawson for his birthday. The video was from several years back. It featured Lawson trying to flip through a chin-up bar, falling over backwards and busting a hole in their wall. So at least she hasn't lost her sense of humor.

• Love 1

I wonder how long it will be before the inevitable fights over money and division of labor. Everything seems hunky dory now, but people are human. Erin's sick card has an expiration date. I think resentments will start to grow if certain partners are doing all the heavy lifting while others are doing the bare minimum. 

On another note, I think it's hysterical Zach has become his wife's and sister's employee. So much for the manly Fundie men and their King of the Castle bullshit.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder how long it will be before the inevitable fights over money and division of labor. Everything seems hunky dory now, but people are human. Erin's sick card has an expiration date. I think resentments will start to grow if certain partners are doing all the heavy lifting while others are doing the bare minimum. 

On another note, I think it's hysterical Zach has become his wife's and sister's employee. So much for the manly Fundie men and their King of the Castle bullshit.

Agreed. We've definitely seen calls to Erin where Whit and Carlin are very much keeping sweet with awwww you don't feel well and Erin crows about how lucky she is to have them to handle these things. Yet I can see resentment brewing at some point esp from Whit who also has 4 kids; I can see her get bitter that she (and Z LOL) are always at the shop counting dresses or whatever and Erin shows up if/when she can.

They may be understanding of illness (though who knows do these people think covid and long covid are real)? But I could see resentment if instead of dropping out formally if she can't do it and cashing out or whatever, Erin continues being a partner - with others doing the work - and Erin still feeling entitled to a share of the $$ because after all SHE is the one who decided what should go where in the shop and how photo shoots should be conducted with HER critical eye for design. Like I could see her thinking - so what if I'm not there counting dresses, a monkey could do that, they'd be sitting in an ugly warehouse if not for me. And the other 2 thinking so what you helped as a design consultant early on that doesn't mean you should share in the profit forever if you won't work day to day. Like if Erin was coming in day to day, they'd probably need 1 less employee and could save $ there.

And of course this is the Bates so it's not like there's any kind of partnership agreement nor even an advance discussion re pulling out of the business, which there should have been bc no one expected covid but they must have thought - at some point what happens if you have 36 kids and can't work anymore, do we still pay you??

Edited by cereality
  • Love 3

Family businesses are ripe for conflict in the best of circumstances so I imagine if Erin really isn’t showing up much, there could be resentment. Every partner/owner thinks what they do is so important but what the others do is not so important. I’m guessing the Bates are no different. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Maybe I'm forgetting but have we ever seen Erin actually working at the shop or shipping dresses? We've definitely seen Whitney since for the longest time the dresses were at her house and she ended up doing the shipping with Zach during last year during Covid. Before then she was at Whitney's but mostly sat and talked. She wasn't packaging any dresses or doing anything. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

So Z&W have now bought a farm - not sure if it’s an actual farm but 17 acres of land and a house that needs total renovation. I’m guessing they saw the hot housing market and realized their totally renovated house had some equity and could sell for $$$ so cash that out and go unrenovated which doesn’t cost this family real $$ bc they DIY/Chad everything.

Oh and Whit’s mom had Covid, was in the hospital and it didn’t look good but she recovered. Damn they’ve known people with bad cases of Covid and still this family won’t mask or vaccinate or stop going places.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I don't know what their vaccination status is, I'm just praying to god that if there's hesitation, maybe Michaela can talk some sense into them. That's assuming Michaela has sense, which is definitely not a given in Tennessee.

True I shouldn't say they're not vaccinated. We don't know. But as social media whorish as they are, I've always assumed if anyone was vaccinated it would have slipped on insta by now and/or if they believed in vaccines, it would have come out by now. BUT I say that as an east coaster; in these religious communities in the south it is considered shameful to get the vax bc it means among other things that you trust in drs more than God. So maybe a few have gotten it but kept it really quiet as a deep dark secret. I think I attribute Evan's brother's thinking to all of them - he's a loud mouth on insta + cut from the same cloth - he's made fun of people taking vaccines, so I assume they ALL feel that way.

So looked up what 17 acres of land with a house on it goes for in Powell Tn (IDK that they're in Powell but it's one of the towns near where they live). There are 2 such listings for 19 and 22 acres with large reasonably renovated houses (i.e. granite countertops, nice floors) for 725k and 880k; and those properties all have multiple out buildings - garages, sheds etc. Then there's one listing with a small totally unrenovated house - 189.9k. I imagine that's the type of thing Z&W got as W says the house will be a total reno job (hi Chad - hope you're ready to do some work at cost).

They may have made out well on this deal, which is good given Z's lack of employment. The housing market is hot even where they are - per Carlin and Evan who post videos with Carlin in tears bc houses go under contract as soon as they are listed. The type of house Z&W are in - rancher but fully renovated - seems to sell in that area for 200k maybe even closer to 250k if someone really wants it. I actually wonder if C&E will consider buying it - at least they won't be shut out of the housing market? Though when they showed their house hunting videos they seem to not be going for the modest renovated ranchers but more the McMansion style house that Alyssa has (and also what Evan grew up in); those are the houses they went and looked at and when they drove by a property with a house being built, also in that same style, THAT is what they wanted - not a starter home. So Z&W may be making 10-50k on this deal AND Z will spend the next 6 mos-1 yr renovating it and W can gush that her man is SOOOO busy and he won't just be sitting in her store counting dresses. Z seems like he likes construction, why not pursue it professionally then rather than just fixing up your own houses? I mean he doesn't want to be (or can't be - bc of his wife/mom and/or his weight) a cop, so go down the skilled trades road like your brothers in law!?

• Love 4

Not saying it's necessarily worth it if they made 10k or 20k esp given that reno costs are going to be significant these days even if you DIY bc materials costs are up across the board. But I do think they maybe didn't take a loss/dig themselves into a further hole, which for these fundies is saying something bc often it's just about God's will (i.e. what they want that they get convinced God is telling them to go for), practicalities be damned. Ha we all know it's not for a school district since they don't believe in that sort of thing. It's to have kids growing up running barefoot on a farm chasing chickens . . . to them that's the most ideal life. Plus for Zach you know it has to be a bit about establishing the kind of farm/life Papa Bill has because he looks up to him.

• Love 4

I get a feeling they purchased the farm to give Zach something to do. He's packed on thirty pounds since quitting the force, so he clearly isn't spending his days climbing up and down trees. If snarkers notice he's always at the boutique, then eventually their fans will too. Renovating a house is a nice way for Zach to save face. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I get a feeling they purchased the farm to give Zach something to do. He's packed on thirty pounds since quitting the force, so he clearly isn't spending his days climbing up and down trees. If snarkers notice he's always at the boutique, then eventually their fans will too. Renovating a house is a nice way for Zach to save face. 

Yes. I think this is VERY true. It's emasculating for a supposed fundie man to be working at his wife's business counting dresses. Just this week Carlin posted another video and Z is in the background on the phone and she goes on about how big bro is always talking to the manufacturers. Uh yeah pretty sure talking to dress makers about needing more sleeves on dresses bc fundies don't buy sleeveless isn't considered a manly profession. Now Z will spend the next 6 mos-1 yr renovating and W can gush that her man is SOOOO busy. But seriously go be a contractor then, make an actual salary and do work besides just fixing your own home??

• Love 5

Erin is always saying that she and Chad want to buy a farm or place with land.I wonder why they didn't jump on this seeing as how Chad owns the construction business that will probably be doing the renovation of this place anyway. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Erin is always saying that she and Chad want to buy a farm or place with land.I wonder why they didn't jump on this seeing as how Chad owns the construction business that will probably be doing the renovation of this place anyway. 

Well Whit and Zac’s kids prayed for a farm! Plus I doubt the Paines have any cash for a down payment of any amount.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just watched Carlin's most recent YouTube video, and once again, she and Whitney are working at the boutique and there's no sign of Erin. I wonder what's really going on? I know she's had health issues, but is she that unwell she can't sit at a computer and do invoices or make phone calls? It's very strange. 

30 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Well Whit and Zac’s kids prayed for a farm! Plus I doubt the Paines have any cash for a down payment of any amount.

I'm eye-rolling at how Zach and Whit's kids always seem to be praying for something that mom and dad want. The farm. The brother for Bradley. A dad who's around all the time so he quits his job. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I just watched Carlin's most recent YouTube video, and once again, she and Whitney are working at the boutique and there's no sign of Erin. I wonder what's really going on? I know she's had health issues, but is she that unwell she can't sit at a computer and do invoices or make phone calls? It's very strange. 

I'm eye-rolling at how Zach and Whit's kids always seem to be praying for something that mom and dad want. The farm. The brother for Bradley. A dad who's around all the time so he quits his job. 

Would request that Zit’s kids “pray” for zenme to win a million dollars. Evidently, their prayers work. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

I think Chad and Erin are still sticking to the - buy in cash, no debt - way of living. Looking at listings in this area, this property was 180-190k probably; I doubt Chad has that sitting around in cash. Z&W OTOH take mortgages; they posted a video of doing the signing by drive thru because the inside of the bank branch was closed due to covid, joking about how they never thought they'd buy a house at a drive thru. Because they took a mortgage they were able to buy their first home, I think likely build some equity in that because they gut renovated it and now use that to buy a big property. Way harder to do these things in cash even in rural Tenn. esp when you work for yourself in an unsteady business - you can't plan on saving $x/yr because Chad's business fluctuates.

• Love 7

Those kids are too young to really understand what praying means.  Whitney is full of crap and just spouts the party line because that's what she is supposed to do.  

I have seen posts of Alyssa's girls "praying"  It's just a bunch of gibberish with "Jesus" thrown in randomly. 

Just like Layla "getting so much out of VBS"  she is 18 months old FFS.  Give her some goldfish and she is happy. "Lasting precious memories? "  Riiight. 🙄

Edited by 3 is enough
  • LOL 3
  • Love 13
22 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Those kids are too young to really understand what praying means.  Whitney is full of crap and just spouts the party line because that's what she is supposed to do.  

I have seen posts of Alyssa's girls "praying"  it's just a bunch of gibberish with "Jesus" thrown in randomly. 

Just like Layla "getting so much out of VBS"  she id 18 months old FFS.  Give her some goldfish and she is happy. "Lasting precious memories? "  Riiight. 🙄

Agreed plus she's putting it in their kids' heads that all they have to do is beg God and they will receive - Grandma got better from covid; Grandma Bates' surgery went well; they got a boy; Jadon got out of NICU; and now a new house. Well if it's that easy then why doesn't everyone just ask for mansions and millions of dollars and great health and an easy life? Ask and you shall receive, right? I'm sure Chad and Erin's kids prayed for a brother too and look what it got them - a mom who can't have any more kids. Did they just not pray correctly or hard enough while you did? And yeah the kids' prayers are gibberish - all the kids whether Z&W's or A&J's or C&E's. They don't really get it but this is about indoctrination -- you start at about this age to put them in the habit of "praying on" everything whether it's marrying this person or buying a car . . . . I have a sense this is Whit's thing - this is what she sees in Z's family and so desperately wants to be one of them that of course this is how she is raising her kids. Z OTOH has made fun of the "praying on" every single decision before. When Kelton was talking to him about asking G&K's permission to marry Josie, Z straight up goes - just tell my dad you prayed on it and this is what God is telling you is right, how he is going to argue with that?! LOL. True believer right there.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

They're all posting about their Sunday and gushing about Gil's church doing some revival. Packed. Shoulder to shoulder. Carlin posts a video of course focused on her kid and bestie Whit and in the background you can hear the preacher say "some people say masks don't work" and Whit is grinning from ear to ear I guess as she gets the "testimony" why masks are stupid . . . . Yep covid is soooo funny. Esp in a family where so many have had it?! Hey maybe they took that horse medicine that is so popular in their circles these days. I couldn't tell if the preacher was Gil but then in a follow up Carlin said something about how the preacher that was brought in for the revival was one of their favorites etc so maybe not Gil who is the usual preacher? Not that Gil would give a different message on masking.

• Useful 4
4 hours ago, cereality said:

They're all posting about their Sunday and gushing about Gil's church doing some revival. Packed. Shoulder to shoulder. Carlin posts a video of course focused on her kid and bestie Whit and in the background you can hear the preacher say "some people say masks don't work" and Whit is grinning from ear to ear I guess as she gets the "testimony" why masks are stupid . . . . Yep covid is soooo funny. Esp in a family where so many have had it?! Hey maybe they took that horse medicine that is so popular in their circles these days. I couldn't tell if the preacher was Gil but then in a follow up Carlin said something about how the preacher that was brought in for the revival was one of their favorites etc so maybe not Gil who is the usual preacher? Not that Gil would give a different message on masking.

Well the thin blue one don’t work…and I am just getting over bacterial pneumonia from a cloth one..my immunologist  told me He is seeing an uptick in bacterial respiratory infections..only n 95 masks are effective and they need to be changed daily…..so I bought some off of Amazon..so maybe the pastor should encourage them to wear the. N95..

Edited by Dimi1
Updated
  • Love 2

I'm sorry to read about Whitney's father. Did she "dump" her adoptive parents? They took her in, provided for her and gave her a nice enough first wedding to Zach. If so, that isn't very " Christian" of her to have done that...as per the urging of Kelly Jo.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

I'm sorry to read about Whitney's father. Did she "dump" her adoptive parents? They took her in, provided for her and gave her a nice enough first wedding to Zach. If so, that isn't very " Christian" of her to have done that...as per the urging of Kelly Jo.

That's what is always seemed like. The adoptive parents threw her the first wedding and then suddenly they were gone and her parents were back in the picture. They were never mentioned again. Its very odd. Several of the adoptive parents' kids were in Whitney's wedding. I am suspicious of Kelly Jo urging it. Also Whitney seems to be taking all of the blame for whatever happened to cause her to move in with her adoptive parents in the first place. While we don't know what happened. I have my doubts that its all Whitney's fault.

I am sorry to hear about her father. That doesn't sound good.

• Love 6

Has KJ mentioned that Tiffy is adopted? Or will she wait until after the wedding? It was very strange how KJ pushed Whit back towards her birth parents, it seemed like the only issue with the adoptive parents was the adoption. Whit was so anxious to please KJ it’s not surprising.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Why would Kelly have to mention that Tiffany is adopted?  Wouldn't it be obvious? I am sure Kelly feels like this adoption is different because Tiffany's parents adopted her in China. 

I guess mention was the wrong word, I was just wondering if KJ felt the same way about Tiffs adoptive parents as she seemed to towards Whits. Good point about it being an adoption from China, I guess it’s ok as Tiffy was then raised Christian.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Whitney was never officially adopted was she? It was more of a possibly unofficial foster arrangement.

I think you're right. She was never adopted by that family. Sorry, can't remember whether the Perkins were her natural family, or was it the Owens? She went by both names.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Why would Kelly have to mention that Tiffany is adopted?  Wouldn't it be obvious? I am sure Kelly feels like this adoption is different because Tiffany's parents adopted her in China. 

I thought Tiffany was adopted from South Korea.

That's so sad and right before Christmas, too.

I wonder how this will affect Whit being in Katie's wedding? I can't imagine she'll be up to it and I hope Kelly doesn't pressure her. They should just throw another sister in and call it a day.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I think you're right. She was never adopted by that family. Sorry, can't remember whether the Perkins were her natural family, or was it the Owens? She went by both names.

Owens was the family she lived with. I don't know if she was ever adopted or they just took her in for awhile or what. 

3 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I don't know. Wiki shows that she was born in China and that she was adopted by her American parents. But Wiki is wrong sometimes so you could be right.

I also saw on anther blog that Whitney's father passed away this morning. 

Oh, that really stinks.

• Love 1

Wow, even for an "unofficial foster situation", those people took her in, fed her and gave her a wedding...even more reason to acknowledge them. IF she dumped them as it seems to appear, this does not speak well for Whitney IMO. No appreciation from her.

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Condolences to Whit, she wrote a very nice tribute. It sounds like her dad was born-again later in life, which the Bates must have loved.

Tori might fit into Whit's dress. Is Travis' sister already a bridesmaid?

I think Travis' sister is a bridesmaid, yes. 

I'm sad to hear Whitney's father passed. I lost my dad in my early 30s. It sucks to live the majority of your life without one of your parents. 

• Love 1

My condolences to Whitney. Does she have any siblings from her birth parents? 
Not that there is a good time to lose a parent (yes, I know that is the cycle of life), the holidays make it that much harder.  My dad died in 2011 on the Saturday after Father's Day, so Father's Day is always espcially rough for me. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 5

Zach and Whit are certainly living large given that the majority of their income seems to be coming from a store that is liquidating or at least not moving enough goods, as suggested by like 3 cash and carry sales in a month AND per reddit people who live local, at those sales they are selling EVERYTHING - not just the clothes but the mirrors, rugs, racks etc. Seems to suggest that either they're fully winding down the business or they are realizing they expanded too much so they're paring it back and will bring it back to an out building on Zach and Whit's property and mail out their t shirts from there rather than paying a lease on a storefront.

And I suppose Z is earning something with the tree cutting service as Whit mentioned he had a job this week; yet it's unclear how much consistent business there really is and how much of that money goes to Z, as opposed to Gil.

Yet tonight they are showcasing their brand new made in Italy ILVE stove - retailing at Lowes for like $4900. I realize Z's hobby is cooking, but given that he's talking about making pancakes and sausage in the morning, I'm thinking an $800-1200 GE stove would have done the job; hell if you want to go fancy, the $2000 GE stoves are quite nice. And no they didn't get this for free as they're talking about how the company has them backordered for six months [and thus has no need to give away anything for free] and Z happened to grab one when Lowes got 5 of them in stock. I mean you'd think Z is training to be a French culinary chef, needing the best gear - while he talks about pancakes, sausage, and holding in his gut bc he ate too much Mexican?!

Knowing how these people are, I strongly suspect that when Z left the sheriff's office he cashed out his 401k and/pension. He worked there long enough to have those things and have them be vested but I could see him and Whit going on about what good is that money just sitting around [you know - being 'invested'] for 30 more years, we can take it now and invest it in our dream home blah blah. Sure a home is an investment but an illiquid one unless you try to sell it. Most normal people try to keep a 401k in tact if they have one because they know they won't be selling their home to take the cash out of it. But then Z grew up in the home of - God will provide, if you're investing your money for 30 years from now you don't trust God enough, pray harder . . . .

• Love 9