Type keyword(s) to search

Zach and Whitney: The Constable and the Carhop

• Start Topic

Can anyone refresh us on Whitney's background? I thought I read where she was adopted. Is that true? Did she change religions and/or stop working when she married Zach? It seems likes the Bates really love her & vice versa.

So if Zach met Whitney on his own then they didn't have a courtship, no going to her daddy to have him approve him first, right? But it seems like it worked out well for them. Maybe the Duggars could learn something from the Bates.

I vaguely recall Kelly saying that when Zach's courtship broke up, he was devastated and turned to friends and John David was supportive. You'd think JD -- having watched a failed courtship, and then a regular relationship that wasn't an arranged courtship which has now resulted in a marriage and a baby -- would be thinking -- hmm, maybe I go to a restaurant/hang out spot and chat it up with some girls and see if I can get myself some phone numbers?! If it worked for Zach, then when not try it instead of waiting for a fundie dad to call my dad to offer up his daughter?!

• Love 3

If I'm not mistaken, Whitney also finished her certification program as a medical biller. Even though she's expected to be a housewife, at least she has a tangible skill that can make the family money in the real world.

• Love 1

Can I get some more background on these two? How they met andwhat happened with Zach's first courtship. Also, people keep mentioning Kelly didn't like Whitney at first, what's the scoop on that?

Whitney's background: 

Born Whitney Perkins, her parents died in an auto accident when she was about 12. She bounced around foster care for a couple of years. I read an account of a very negative experience she had with a foster family when she was 14. She was legally adopted by the Owens family when she was 16. Father Owens is a "preacher" (not a minister or pastor, which to me indicates he doesn't have seminary education, much like Gil Bates). She was a pants-wearing, Sonic-working, medical-billing student when she hooked up with Zach. Kelly says Whitney was "convicted to wear skirts all the time" not long after she and Zach started courting. I see a girl who really wants to fit in with a family, being robbed of her own at a young age. The Owenses took great care of her, but she was almost an adult when she came to be with them; the Bateses offer her a "forever" family. I think this is why she's gone so willingly down the fundie road with Zach. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 7

That's so sad re Whitney -- I had no idea she was 12 when she lost her parents; somehow I always assumed she was adopted as a baby.

As for Zach's first courtship -- it was a typical fundie arranged courtship with Sarah Reith (sp?). She ended up breaking it off and leaving him heart-broken. Apparently Kelly was trying to shop him around for another fundie arrangement for a while, but he was not interested/too heartbroken to try again. Somewhere down the road -- 1 yr or more later, he started hanging out at Sonic and met Whitney. He says that in the beginning he talked to her a lot about relationships and his break-up and she was supportive, and they apparently gave each other relationship advice. In that a friendship formed and eventually a relationship. Apparently Kelly wasn't thrilled -- no idea where that comes from but people say her blog indicated that -- she still was shopping him around for a fundie courtship but by that time he had decided that Whitney was the one.

Of all the Bates and Duggar courtships we've seen so far, this one was the most "normal" in that they met each other casually, got to be friends, dated/hung out, and then decided to marry -- rather than being introduced to each other because parents thought they had the right backgrounds. I remember they showed Zach's first courtship -- maybe on their first show -- and I remember Zach saying that he felt so awkward because he was not used to sitting right next to a girl, didn't know what to talk to her about etc. It was a very honest admission by him and showed the bizarreness of the whole process -- the guy doesn't know what to say to the girl (and the girl is no better) but they're pretty much committing to marry in 3 months. Kelly has said repeatedly that Zach's failed courtship led the family to "re-evaluate" courtship standards and add a lengthy "get to know you" period. Normal folks would just call it dating -- but it's the fundie hanging with a chaperone time which can go on for months. Then by the time the couple gets engaged, they absolutely know they want to marry and according to Kelly the engagement period is just to give the families time to throw together a wedding.

As for Zach, I bet he was attracted to Whitney because she "taught" him how to be in a relationship. While the Duggars aren't as bad as the Bates, they are still pretty sheltered -- as evidenced by the fact that a 20+ yr old man didn't know what to say to a woman or felt awkward sitting right next to her. Here comes Whitney -- she brings him his food, probably asks him about his day, chats/flirts with him a little. They probably do this over weeks/months, as Zach shares more and more about his life and asks Whitney about hers. It probably gave him the confidence to realize -- see I can talk to girls, I've been talking to Whitney for months on a daily/weekly basis. Thus by the time he asked her to court/get to know you period -- he knew her pretty damn well, they just hung out more and confirmed that it was love/love could develop and got engaged. I have to believe that the whole process was easier with Whitney because he didn't have to worry about her parents watching or criticizing his every move.

• Love 1

Do you think Whitney's background had something to do with Kelly not being thrilled with the relationship? I would also love to know the deal with Whitney's biological family. I find it odd that there no were aunts, uncles or grandparents on either side to take her in.

• Love 1

Zach is a part-time volunteer constable (or whatever they call it in his county); similar to what JD Duggar does. He was/still is a county commissioner - that term may have ended at the end of 2014 - and ran in the Republican primary for County Mayor (yes, that's what they called it) last spring. He lost to the more moderate incumbent (a WOMAN! LOL).

His full-time job is at a metal fabrication plant with Chad Paine. 

According to Kelly's blog, Zach is an " Anderson County sheriff's deputy." Im not sure how it works in Tennessee, but usually there is a slight difference between a sheriff's deputy and a constable. I believe the sheriff works for the entire county, while a constable normally works just for a section or district of the county.

*eyeroll* Having to apologize for being normal? So unbelievable.

I know. I thought it was really weird they apologized to be honest. Like, they were in their twenties and wanted to kiss...if that's the 'worst' thing your son is doing with his girlfriend, consider yourself blessed, Kelly and Gil.

• Love 3

*eyeroll* Having to apologize for being normal? So unbelievable.

Is the second epi on YouTube yet?

Both the episode 1s that I saw posted have been taken down due to copyright so if someone does load episodes on to yt you better find and watch fast!
  • Love 1

I just checked out their baby registry (don't know if it's the real one, but there's one on BRU) and they only got 5 things. I'm actually surprised about that, but it seemed like they got the usual shower gifts (clothes and diapers). I had thought every single thing of her (quite modest) registry would have been purchased.

That's enough parentheses (for now).

• Love 1

Whitney is looking really pretty with her lightened hair.

• Love 1

l

Wait a minute, are you telling us that Whitney looks good with her hair lightened? Lol. I agree with you.

• Love 3

Seems like the Bates boys and inlaws are all making something of themselves rather than just preaching or trying to keep extending their TV fame. Zach is now a cop. Chad is a finance manager for a manufacturing company. John has an HVAC business which I think he co-owns with his brothers. Lawson has a landscaping business which seems to pay enough at least for now. Good for them.

Since they have announced baby #2 is due in June, who (besides me) hopes they name him or her Cooper? A Bradley and a Cooper? lol

That actually would be kind of cute and Cooper is one of those gender neutral names that would work for either a boy or a girl. I wonder if Zach and Whit even know who Bradley Cooper is.

• Love 1

Nooooo!!!! It sounds cute, but it isn't fair to do to the kids.

Lulz! You want to talk unfair, my sister knows a couple with boy/girl twins and their names are Harley and Marley. I don't think you can get much worse beyond rhyming names.

Lulz! You want to talk unfair, my sister knows a couple with boy/girl twins and their names are Harley and Marley. I don't think you can get much worse beyond rhyming names.

Ha! My neighbor is a dog sitter and she just had two French bulldogs named Harley and Marley.