Type keyword(s) to search

Teen Mom 2: Small Talk

• Start Topic

The movie Practical Magic was one of my favorites. Here is Sandra Bullock's shop. (The brown one) 

400DB327-81BA-4887-BDAB-23294B5D21D3_zps

Twin Peaks  I was soooo excited to see this spot!! 

C9796ED2-9641-48CC-A37C-2B4EE85BE050_zps

Bridge from The Ring. It was gorgeous! 

7D0112F1-DAA4-4D34-A69E-A213BE0AD78C_zps

Ever seen the movie It? This is where Pennywise lived and where the kids played. It was also in Fifty Shades of Grey.

FFBA8EF9-678E-4C13-8689-791914A5568A_zps

The school from 10 Things I Hate Abou You.  

1F63CF1D-4A9C-49C0-BD53-8B31F526554A_zps

I sooo want to go to Pasadena. I know there are tons of locations there. I started Buffy the Vampire Slayer and few months back (I had never watched it) and was sooooo bummed that the set was torn down. Ugh! 

Do you live in California?

• Love 6

Great pics!!

I am so into filming locations! When my husband and I watch a tv show or movie we are constantly looking at places we've been or add a place to our list of must-see locations. My husband and I are also into going to restaurants and food places that we see on various Food Network shows. We have been to at least 12 Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives locations. They did two DDD episodes in our area. 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

Great pics!!

I am so into filming locations! When my husband and I watch a tv show or movie we are constantly looking at places we've been or add a place to our list of must-see locations. My husband and I are also into going to restaurants and food places that we see on various Food Network shows. We have been to at least 12 Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives locations. They did two DDD episodes in our area. 

Yes!! If I watch something and the house is pretty or the location is interesting, I'm looking it up to see where it's at. IMDb is an app on my phone since I'm constantly pulling it out. It will bug me until I find out where something was filmed. Then I'm happy. Haha I know if i lived in California I would be out and about all the time! 

The Sharon Tate house is sad, but it's still a popular location and I'd still want to see it, even though it's gone. The true crime nerd in me would want to see the Menendez house, the Wonderland house, any known "hauntings", stuff like that. I've been to Gibsland where Bonnie and Clyde were killed and where they are buried. There was a lot of research for their burial locations and that was before the internet! Bonnie had been movie once, too.  I am a nerd and don't care.  ?

Edited by Mkay
  • Love 1

OoOOoOOH @Mkay thanks for posting all those!!!

On one of those websites I believe they find the sewer where Pennywise killed Georgie. Poor Gerogie and his stupid boat.

b016c0e1fdad3e95a06f37619636f034.jpg.1401ea56a4c3e8ffe05c461b1f46e9f8.jpg

From what I understand the creepy cement structure above was only a prop (or a background painting). I would LOVE to visit that in person if it happened to be real! I watched a YouTube video of Beaver Lake, because not only do I look at pictures of locations, but I watch videos of them, too!!

One nice thing about locations in little New England towns is that they seem to remain much more unchanged than those in cities. If Practical Magic had been filmed in L.A., Sandra's shop would likely be a strip mall now.

I do live in California, in San Jose, but am originally from Marin County.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Mkay said:

Yes!! If I watch something and the house is pretty or the location is interesting, I'm looking it up to see where it's at. IMDb is an app on my phone since I'm constantly pulling it out. It will bug me until I find out where something was filmed. Then I'm happy. Haha I know if i lived in California I would be out and about all the time! 

The Sharon Tate house is sad, but it's still a popular location and I'd still want to see it, even though it's gone. The true crime nerd in me would want to see the Menendez house, the Wonderland house, any known "hauntings", stuff like that. I've been to Gibsland where Bonnie and Clyde were killed and where they are buried. There was a lot of research for their burial locations and that was before the internet! Bonnie had been movie once, too.  I am a nerd and don't care.  ?

8763 Wonderland Avenue...been there! I used to drive over Laurel Canyon several times a week and of course had to go see it. When there is a stillness around these types of houses it is utterly chilling. O the things these properties have seen.

Cielo Drive has a long long long gated driveway so there was no way to get to the (former) Tate house but I would go to the other side of the canyon and look at the new house. I'm so dorky!! This is what it looks like now: (I didn't take this pic)

178c8c90022dd58f132a684dfdabb225.jpg.13f60d53299f5b8948319c0717569df9.jpg 

Yuck. I loathe that kind of place. Tacky McTack.

I guess the Tate house wasn't really a ranch house as I stated, it was more of a Cape Cod style (sort of), but it was just the prettiest, coziest looking homey place. That's my type of dream house. Minus the carnage.

8417815_f520.jpg.f1ee5b9c4338b730e990c76b0b839129.jpg

I'd be so interested to visit Gibsland!! I heard there is some Bonnie & Clyde "celebration" they hold there, or used to.

OMG I have to go to the Kohl's to buy my son some new boxer briefs (he would die if he knew I wrote that on the interwebs!! HAHAHA!) but I want to stay and talk about all this!

More soon!!

Edited by AhFillAck
  • Love 4

You are lucky!! There isn't anything in my area. Shreveport, La was a booming filming area a few years ago but not so much anymore. I'm excited someone understands my craziness that I'm typing too fast and auto correct is killing me. Haha 

I had once found the old dam they used for It's house that they modeled the shell after.  I'll have to break out my laptop and find that one. The amount of saved filming locations on my computer is a little crazy.  Many years ago I went to Nacogdoches, La and saw the Steel Magnolia filming locations. The town chamber actually gives you a map with the locations so you can find them all. Before Internet of course. I lived in Corpus Christi for a few years so you know i scoped out all the Selena locations.   If I ever get to visit California for a few days you have a film location tag a long   ?? My boring family can hang out at the hotel.  Hahaha

Have you seen the YouTube video of inside the wonderland house? It would show a split screen of then and now. They hardly changed a thing! 

I have a few pics on my Instagram if you wanted to check that out. Have fun shopping.  Hahaha 

• Love 2

Oooh!!!!  (I say Oooh a lot. Like Dee on What's Happening but in a good way, not because I'm gonna tell on Raj)  Oooh I have only seen Wonderland pics, not a video. I will have a look!

So the cement structure was modeled after an actual dam?

I love Steel Magnolias. (I always tell people they don't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their butt!) Have a look at this: http://hookedonhouses.net/2012/05/29/the-steel-magnolias-house-for-sale-in-louisiana/  I always liked that kitchen with all the brick! It just looks cozy. I hope if it was bought that they didn't redo and ruin the whole damned thing. That would be so fun to take the tour and it's a wonderful thing for the town to do for the fans.

What's your Instagram?

YES, come here and we will go on road trips!!! All boring people can stay behind! Including my boring-ass husband!

I did indeed get the underwear!! At 30% off! Whee. And I only bought nine other things on impulse!

So funny we both have Lee-uhh as our profile pics....

Okay who can tell me who lives in this house? Hint: SHE IS A LYING LIAR WHO LIES! @GreatKazu may know!

vicki.jpg.7bf5e4f0e2597df00f86388ba7319c69.jpg

Good god, we post orangutan pics and I look like an ape!!! LOL

Edited by AhFillAck
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, AhFillAck said:

Oooh!!!!  (I say Oooh a lot. Like Dee on What's Happening but in a good way, not because I'm gonna tell on Raj)  Oooh I have only seen Wonderland pics, not a video. I will have a look!

So the cement structure was modeled after an actual dam?

I love Steel Magnolias. (I always tell people they don't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their butt!) Have a look at this: http://hookedonhouses.net/2012/05/29/the-steel-magnolias-house-for-sale-in-louisiana/  I always liked that kitchen with all the brick! It just looks cozy. I hope if it was bought that they didn't redo and ruin the whole damned thing. That would be so fun to take the tour and it's a wonderful thing for the town to do for the fans.

What's your Instagram?

YES, come here and we will go on road trips!!! All boring people can stay behind! Including my boring-ass husband!

I did indeed get the underwear!! At 30% off! Whee. And I only bought nine other things on impulse!

So funny we both have Lee-uhh as our profile pics....

Okay who can tell me who lives in this house? Hint: SHE IS A LYING LIAR WHO LIES! @GreatKazu may know!

vicki.jpg.7bf5e4f0e2597df00f86388ba7319c69.jpg

Good god, we post orangutan pics and I look like an ape!!! LOL

It's so funny that we go to the same sites and never ever knew.  Hooked on houses is one of my favorites. I wish I could win the lottery. I'd buy all those houses, like the Steel Magnolia house.  Same for the Amityville house (it's been for sale a few times).  

Check out Buntzen Lake Power Station.  Look Familiar? A few people have claimed this is where they got the inspiration for Pennywise's "house."  

rthewtrthgfr.jpg

Another thing I love, but rarely get to do, is explore abandoned locations.  New Orleans Six Flags is at the top of my list! But since Katrina it's been taken over by swamp and I don't feel like battling alligators.  Eeek! 

This trip to Washington/Oregon we are going to Mt Hood to see the hotel from The Shining. I'm so excited for that one.  Only the exterior was used for shots but still! I wore my family out on the first trip in 2015 with all the Twilight locations (I mean, because why not? A movie is a movie, right?).  My daughter asked if we could not drive so much the next time.  Ha! As long as I get one or two in.  hehehe

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Mkay said:

Another thing I love, but rarely get to do, is explore abandoned locations.  New Orleans Six Flags is at the top of my list! But since Katrina it's been taken over by swamp and I don't feel like battling alligators.  Eeek! 

I have built an entire career out of writing about abandoned places. :-) I also love doing it. Was a devout urban explorer until my kids came along. Now they explore with me but the locations are much safer. We stick to houses and stuff, rather than the mental hospitals and theme parks I used to break into. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Mkay said:

I've gone out of my way to visit a few filming locations. On my way to Minnesota, for instance, I drove 6 hours off course to visit Winterset, Iowa so that I could go inside Francesca's house and stand on the Rosemont Bridge. 

10 years ago, while living in New Hampshire, I went to Danvers, MA to see the Danvers Mental Hospital because I am a fan of SESSION 9. It was still abandoned. Took my family back with me 5 years later and it had been turned into condos. 

We have a summer house on St. Simon's Island. I love going over to Jekyll and seeing where they filmed scenes fro Glory. While we were there last summer they filmed scenes from THE WALKING DEAD on Driftwood Beach. 

Been to a few locations in Ireland and Wales. I lived in Wales for several years. I was actually an extra in the movie VAN HELSING because I was in Prague at the time. I was also an extra in HOSTEL because I was in Cesky Krumlov at the time, staying at the small hotel where the cast was staying, and I spoke English. You can actually see me in it. You can't in VAN HELSING. 

In Austria, I went on the "Sound of Music" tour and visited all the sites. You all might think this is funny...

I had my secretary with me at the time. She traveled with me back in those days. I loved her to pieces, and she was a great assistant, but she was a total dingbat. We went on that entire tour, visiting the places from the movie, and singing along with the soundtrack in the van. Even stopped at the souvenir store. 

Got off the tour, started back to the hotel, and I said, "Now I am in the mood to watch the movie."

"Movie?" she asked. "There's a movie about what we just saw?"

"Um, what did you think we were doing? It was called the 'Sound of Music' tour..."

"I just thought it was a tour about songs and stuff."

I guess she wondered why we were all running around the gazebo, trying to jump from one bench to the other. 

• Love 7

Here is the front of Danvers from SESSION 9. I took this back when it was still empty. 

front.jpg

Don't know if you're into book houses, but here is Louisa May Alcott's house, the one that inspired LITTLE WOMEN. 

acorn house.JPG

The Cliffs of Mohr in Ireland. From THE PRINCESS BRIDE (the cliffs they scaled) and HARRY POTTER

CLIFFS~3.JPG

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 3

And if y'all are into abandoned places...this abandoned house inspired my first novel. I took these several years ago. Someone recently bought and restored the house completely, thank goodness. I hate to see old houses fall apart. @AhFillAck and @Mkay, since we have a thing for old houses and movie locations, if you guys want to friend me on Facebook and IG, I post pictures most every day. It's kind of my "platform." A few others on here have kind of found me on their own and we keep up with each other off the site. I don't mind, if you all don't mind outing yourselves to ME. :-) I can keep a secret. 

bed.JPG

house with clouds.JPG

Copy (2) of shoe.JPG

101_0441.jpg

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

And if y'all are into abandoned places...this abandoned house inspired my first novel. I took these several years ago. Someone recently bought and restored the house completely, thank goodness. I hate to see old houses fall apart. @AhFillAck and @Mkay, since we have a thing for old houses and movie locations, if you guys want to friend me on Facebook and IG, I post pictures most every day. It's kind of my "platform." A few others on here have kind of found me on their own and we keep up with each other off the site. I don't mind, if you all don't mind outing yourselves to ME. :-) I can keep a secret. 

bed.JPG

house with clouds.JPG

Copy (2) of shoe.JPG

101_0441.jpg

Love all of this. I snort laughed at the driving 6 hours out of your way because I would totally do that!! I am all kinds of excited to know there are people like ME!!  Sending you a message. 

Ive heard of Danvers.  Back when MTV had this show called Fear where people went into abandoned, supposedly haunted places to do dares, Danvers was supposedly a location, but it wasn't.  It was a mental hospital in Connecticut. Another I really wanted to see was called Buck Hill Inn in Pennsylvania.  It's heavily patrolled though. Mansfield State Pen. is another. Filming location and haunted. Wahoo!   Locally, there isn't much for us to explore.  I was more brave in my younger years, but not so much anymore.  Now that I have a kiddo, I kinda don't want to collect any trespassing charges. 

Edited by Mkay
  • Love 4

I love true crime and I've read Helter Skelter over and over.   I can't imagine the emotions that seeing the locations where the crimes were committed would bring. 

The only famous location I've seen is Chelsea's house.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

bed.JPG

house with clouds.JPG

Copy (2) of shoe.JPG

101_0441.jpg

SWEET BUTTERY JESUS. Abandoned buildings/houses? I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have so many bookmarks for those websites.

Those photos you took are great! The second one looks like a charcoal sketch. Is the house near where you live? How did you happen upon it?

I can never talk about this kind of stuff with anyone in my life because NO ONE CARES!!!! Well, my Mom actually does, but she is the only one.

Abandoned swimming pools are intriguing, too. I don't know why I am so drawn to them. There is a blog about them and many many tasty pictures all over the place. Abandoned playgrounds. Yeeek. That is a whole other subject.

There is the Nevada County Hospital up in Nevada City, CA that I've always wanted to see. http://www.calexplornia.com/abandoned-nevada-county-hospital-the-historic-and-tragic-tale-of-the-hew-building/

Danvers, Mansfield, Waverly Hills, Rolling Hills, etc.....oh to be able to travel and snoop around. I'm with you on the no trespassing anymore, @Mkay, I can't take that kind of chance being a mom. In my teens and twenties I was much more daring. I used to go so far as to climb on roofs, and an abandoned, delapidated apartment above a shop in our town was a great make-out spot for my boyfriend and me. We did get caught once and were chased through the streets (by the shop owner who saw us coming down the ladder), and at my age now that would be just too embarrassing. It would also be hard to explain to my kids, because just as my Mom told my brother and me: "If you're going to do something, just remember one thing. Don't get caught." Haha.

But even if I could get into one of the hospitals, I have a feeling that the lingering horrors would get into my cells. I am huge huge huge on vibes. I can look at a place and instantly "feel" it, either good or bad. The bad feelings don't necessarily mean someone was murdered there, it's just a bad vibe. I can't explain them but they are very very real, and I actually like it when it happens because it's fascinating to me. This goes for any place, not just abandoned structures. I can glance at a house/building as I'm passing by, and have to catch my breath, or feel very prickly. It's not "Oh, that's an ugly house. I don't like the color". It's nothing aesthetic, it's a vibration. I have not wanted to go into places because of this and I always trust it.

Abandoned houses always make me sad because I feel like they know they are unwanted and are of no use to anyone anymore. That would go for any building of course, but I am very home and family oriented and have a HUGE affinity for houses in general. They used to provide shelter for people, they were the place that those people wanted to come back to, they housed family meals, gatherings, laughter (and f course bad times), holidays, all kinds of things. They were likely fixed up, polished, repaired, cleaned, cared for and valued. I've always believed that inanimate objects have feelings. It's just the way I am. (Like I need one more reason for people to think I'm nuts) So to make myself feel better I try to think that the houses say "Thank god those fucking annoying humans are gone!!! Now I can have some peace and quiet!!" It doesn't really work, though...I still feel melancholy. I do enjoy TV shows where houses are actually restored with thought and care and not just tritely re-done with whatever the current ugly trend is to please the sheep-like masses.

So much more to write, but I hear angel food cake calling me. Not only do I eat ice cream at 5:30 pm, but I eat cake for breakfast. Dawk!!!

@mamadrama I'm a-gonna message you later. I will be glad to out myself. :-)

Edited by AhFillAck
I is dumb.
  • Love 4

Ooo, @AhFillAck, you'd love my house.  It's not aesthetically pleasing as some but it's loaded with somebody's history.  The family that built it, want it back. They don't like the cash only price tag, though. We are restoring it and I've got a feeling there's something here they don't want us to find.  There's a lady here.  I see her everyday.  My kids and my dad have too.  My oldest asked me why I come into his room every night to hang up his clothes in the closet.  I've never hung his clothes up.  He does it.  My youngest couldn't wait to move rooms after my oldest moved out.  Guess which room is being redone?  The one with the strange vibes and hollow spot in the foundation.  I have no idea what we are about to find.  It's exciting though.  

Edited by MissMel
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, AhFillAck said:

SWEET BUTTERY JESUS. Abandoned buildings/houses? I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have so many bookmarks for those websites.

Those photos you took are great! The second one looks like a charcoal sketch. Is the house near where you live? How did you happen upon it?

I can never talk about this kind of stuff with anyone in my life because NO ONE CARES!!!! Well, my Mom actually does, but she is the only one.

Abandoned swimming pools are intriguing, too. I don't know why I am so drawn to them. There is a blog about them and many many tasty pictures all over the place. Abandoned playgrounds. Yeeek. That is a whole other subject.

There is the Nevada County Hospital up in Nevada City, CA that I've always wanted to see. http://www.calexplornia.com/abandoned-nevada-county-hospital-the-historic-and-tragic-tale-of-the-hew-building/

Danvers, Mansfield, Waverly Hills, Rolling Hills, etc.....oh to be able to travel and snoop around. I'm with you on the no trespassing anymore, @Mkay, I can't take that kind of chance being a mom. In my teens and twenties I was much more daring. I used to go so far as to climb on roofs, and an abandoned, delapidated apartment above a shop in our town was a great make-out spot for my boyfriend and me. We did get caught once and were chased through the streets (by the shop owner who saw us coming down the ladder), and at my age now that would be just too embarrassing. It would also be hard to explain to my kids, because just as my Mom told my brother and me: "If you're doing to do something, just remember one thing. Don't get caught." Haha.

Abandoned swimming pools leave me in awe and terrify me at the same time. Especially if they are filled with dark murkey water. If it's extra deep like the older ones were, I get anxiety. I can't explain it. 

I recently discovered the Los Feliz Murder house and was amazed. It's like someone just up and left everything.  I guess they kind of did.  

Same here. I try to show my husband these pictures of amazing, cool abandoned places I would love to see, and he replies hmmm, or interesting.  ? Ugh I need him to be as excited as me!! 

Danvers, Mansfield, Waverly!! Someone else actually knows what these places are! 

• Love 2

I have an inground pool here that was buried and concreted over.  There used to be a building over that space.  It was permitted as a church.  That building burned down but the funny thing?  We had to pull up the carpet where that building was.  Now how a building catches fire and doesn't burn the carpet up is anyone's guess.  

This property called to me the second I stepped foot on it.  There was no way I wasn't going to have it.  It's like living in a movie.  I don't talk about it because it sounds nuts.  I understand that.  It just seemed to fit here in this conversation though.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, MissMel said:

Ooo, @AhFillAck, you'd love my house.  It's not aesthetically pleasing as some but it's loaded with somebody's history.  The family that built it, want it back. They don't like the cash only price tag, though. We are restoring it and I've got a feeling there's something here they don't want us to find.  There's a lady here.  I see her everyday.  My kids and my dad have too.  My oldest asked me why I come into his room every night to hang up his clothes in the closet.  I've never hung his clothes up.  He does it.  My youngest couldn't wait to move rooms after my oldest moved out.  Guess which room is being redone?  The one with the strange vibes and hollow spot in the foundation.  I have no idea what we are about to find.  It's exciting though.  

Tingles!!! :-)

When I first read "The family that built it, want it back" I was picturing the family being dead and their ghosts want their house back!! Then I saw what you  meant. Keep me updated on how it all goes and what you see and feel!!

There are a lot of entities in the house I grew up in, where my mom still lives. She sees people. She's even briefly seen my dad sitting on the couch. He passed away a few years ago. She's felt a hand on her shoulder, she's seen a boy in a striped shirt reaching up to the fireplace mantel, an older man in a long coat and a hat, the list goes on. The best story is from before I was born, when she went to open the basement door and looked right into a pair of black eyes staring at her. It was not an animal of any type. It was slightly shorter than she was. Distinct, staring dark eyes looking right at her in the dim hallway light. My mom does not do drugs, she doesn't drink, she doesn't lie and she's not crazy. Well, let me correct myself. she's crazy in the unique way my whole family is crazy! Over the years I've had her retell me that story umpteen times because it just delights me. She thinks she saw the same thing, but in full form, dart around the side of the house during that same time period. It was dark yet with a human-ish shape. Shadow people.

My most memorable experience was when I was 16 and trying to sleep one night. I heard creaking in the hallway as if there was someone walking toward my room. There was also a strong sudden odor of what smelled like burning roses (very hard to describe. An earthy, smoky sweet smell). I opened the door to peek out, and there was no one, but I got a sudden rush of cold wind in my face. Let me tell you, if I had seen eighteen zombies, Leah's witch nose and Kailyn's bathroom selfies I would have been less freaked out than I was by that wind. I abruptly shut the door and hid way way way under my covers for the rest of the night! Long story short: There were no explanations. No one had been up in the night, there was no window open, no fans on, no one was burning anything or sprayed perfume, etc. I think of that night often.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, AhFillAck said:

Tingles!!! :-)

When I first read "The family that built it, want it back" I was picturing the family being dead and their ghosts want their house back!! Then I saw what you  meant. Keep me updated on how it all goes and what you see and feel!!

There are a lot of entities in the house I grew up in, where my mom still lives. She sees people. She's even briefly seen my dad sitting on the couch. He passed away a few years ago. She's felt a hand on her shoulder, she's seen a boy in a striped shirt reaching up to the fireplace mantel, an older man in a long coat and a hat, the list goes on. The best story is from before I was born, when she went to open the basement door and looked right into a pair of black eyes staring at her. It was not an animal of any type. It was slightly shorter than she was. Distinct, staring dark eyes looking right at her in the dim hallway light. My mom does not do drugs, she doesn't drink, she doesn't lie and she's not crazy. Well, let me correct myself. she's crazy in the unique way my whole family is crazy! Over the years I've had her retell me that story umpteen times because it just delights me. She thinks she saw the same thing, but in full form, dart around the side of the house during that same time period. It was dark yet with a human-ish shape. Shadow people.

My most memorable experience was when I was 16 and trying to sleep one night. I heard creaking in the hallway as if there was someone walking toward my room. There was also a strong sudden odor of what smelled like burning roses (very hard to describe. An earthy, smoky sweet smell). I opened the door to peek out, and there was no one, but I got a sudden rush of cold wind in my face. Let me tell you, if I had seen eighteen zombies, Leah's witch nose and Kailyn's bathroom selfies I would have been less freaked out than I was by that wind. I abruptly shut the door and hid way way way under my covers for the rest of the night! Long story short: There were no explanations. No one had been up in the night, there was no window open, no fans on, no one was burning anything or sprayed perfume, etc. I think of that night often.

Great stories, both of you. I absolutely believe and don't think you are crazy.  

• Love 3

My parents bought their first house when my mom was pregnant with me.  There was a presence there, the realtor even alluded to something not-so-nice happening in that house.  My mom loved it.  She said she felt hands on her stomach and just had to have that house.  She felt it needed 'the girls'.  (my sister and me)  It was a two bedroom, small two story house.  Very VC Andrews-esque attic.  The staircase was phenomenal.  After they moved in, they finally went into the attic.  It contained a huge oak dining room table with two leaves and 8 chairs, a buffet, and a china hutch.  A few other things too but that set is amazing.  Anyway, our room was the one with the door to the attic.  The attic was like another room, we played in there.  Our parents' room was across the hall, past the stairs.  

One Christmas, my sister was being a butt.  Like a real pain.  She kept trying to get me to sneak downstairs but I didn't want to.  I didn't want to get in trouble! Not sure how or why but, we heard something on the roof.  We thought it is was Dad playing Santa or something.  I did go downstairs after that, just to tell Dad it didn't work.  Haha!  Joke was on me. Our dad was coming out of the bathroom, in his robe, wet hair from showering.  Mom was in bed.  We told Dad what we heard.  He panicked, woke Mom up to sit with us, while he checked outside.  He thought someone was trying to break in.  He even got a ladder out to check the roof.  I'll never forget the look on his face when he came back in.  He said, "Pat, you're not going to believe this.  I don't and I saw it.  There's two skid marks on the front of the roof, right over this room.  No footprints, nothing else.  Just those two skids."  We told them, we heard something on the roof.  Whatever it was, the snow on the roof told the story, too.

Edited by MissMel
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Mkay said:

Same here. I try to show my husband these pictures of amazing, cool abandoned places I would love to see, and he replies hmmm, or interesting.  ? Ugh I need him to be as excited as me!! 

Yep yep yep. If I want any interest shown in anything I say I would have to talk about computers of video games. Or the stock market. Hee hee.

A few years ago I was watching 20/20 and saw one of my old childhood friends named Sean on there confessing to some serial killings. My mouth hung open and I pointed at the screen like Donald Sutherland pointed at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I told my husband who was passing by and he said "Mmm" and just kept on going. WTF?!?!?!?! Had our roles been reversed I would have been machine gunning him with a thousand questions. I am a very very very very very curious person by nature. From what I understand, Sean was never prosecuted. It was part of the Nina Reiser case in Oakland, California. Whether any of it was true I don't know. I got odd vibes from him when I last saw him twenty years ago, before all this came about, and I haven't been in contact since.

What's interesting to me is that I often reflect upon my own interests and curiosities and obsessions and hobbies and sensitivities, etc. etc., and they really make up who I am, and I am fully aware that a majority of the population is unlike me. I look at the Teen Moms and am so very aware of their lacking of certain things. Sure, I don't know them in person, but can you imagine Leah having an interest in a filming location? Wanting to drive someplace to see if the shutters on a house are still there? Or learn the history of a property and the people associated with it? Or getting good or bad vibes? Or being CURIOUS about something? Other than "How much easy money can I make selling lipstickses?" You know what I mean.

I can look at maps all day long. All kinds. Paper maps, Google maps, globes, whatever. Don't even get me started on Google Street View. I have wandered many a street sitting here in my chair. Sometimes for no reason. I'm just curious and I find it so utterly enjoyable. And then there is the whole topic of place names. I don't have to go someplace to fantasize about what it looks like, what the people are like, etc. solely based on the name. When I was young I used to go through endless maps and make lists of all the names of the towns I loved the sound of. Rosebank, Manitoba sticks out in my mind. I even made my OWN town maps and made up names of streets.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, AhFillAck said:

Yep yep yep. If I want any interest shown in anything I say I would have to talk about computers of video games. Or the stock market. Hee hee.

A few years ago I was watching 20/20 and saw one of my old childhood friends named Sean on there confessing to some serial killings. My mouth hung open and I pointed at the screen like Donald Sutherland pointed at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I told my husband who was passing by and he said "Mmm" and just kept on going. WTF?!?!?!?! Had our roles been reversed I would have been machine gunning him with a thousand questions. I am a very very very very very curious person by nature. From what I understand, Sean was never prosecuted. It was part of the Nina Reiser case in Oakland, California. Whether any of it was true I don't know. I got odd vibes from him when I last saw him twenty years ago, before all this came about, and I haven't been in contact since.

What's interesting to me is that I often reflect upon my own interests and curiosities and obsessions and hobbies and sensitivities, etc. etc., and they really make up who I am, and I am fully aware that a majority of the population is unlike me. I look at the Teen Moms and am so very aware of their lacking of certain things. Sure, I don't know them in person, but can you imagine Leah having an interest in a filming location? Wanting to drive someplace to see if the shutters on a house are still there? Or learn the history of a property and the people associated with it? Or getting good or bad vibes? Or being CURIOUS about something? Other than "How much easy money can I make selling lipstickses?" You know what I mean.

I can look at maps all day long. All kinds. Paper maps, Google maps, globes, whatever. Don't even get me started on Google Street View. I have wandered many a street sitting here in my chair. Sometimes for no reason. I'm just curious and I find it so utterly enjoyable. And then there is the whole topic of place names. I don't have to go someplace to fantasize about what it looks like, what the people are like, etc. solely based on the name. When I was young I used to go through endless maps and make lists of all the names of the towns I loved the sound of. Rosebank, Manitoba sticks out in my mind. I even made my OWN town maps and made up names of streets.

Ahh! You are a Long lost sister or something I swear! If you had told me you went to school with the guy on tv I would have asked a million questions after I picked my jaw up off the floor.  The how and why behind people's thought process after a crime is so hard to imagine that I linger a little too long asking why.  I know way too much on Columbine and I think the reason why is because it was right after I graduated. I was packing to move to Corpus Christi and stopped packing to watch it.  Over the yrs I had a friend who became friends with one of the victims family.   I had read books and stuff but last yr I read one of the shooters moms books and immediately after began reading the 10k publicly released documents on the case. It's just a fascination of how and why people do what they do.  What witnesses saw, to get a picture.  Once I'm done, it's on to the next book and the process starts all over.  I've just aired out my crazy, I know.  I say all that to say I get looking at the maps. That's what we had to do before google maps, right? Now we can literally do a street view and see what things actually looked like instead of imagining it in our head. 

Now im off to look up the case you mentioned from 20/20.  

Keep on with the spooky house stories, too.  I don't have any but I love reading what others have experienced. 

• Love 3

I feel like I've found my people! I loooove finding out everything I can about... everything, but some of my main interests are filming locations, abandoned places, other- worldly experiences, and maps. This thread has been the best!

I'm not in the US and haven't been there before, but I'm fascinated by it. I do 'virtual' tours of filming locations when I'm super interested in the TV show/movie/book or the location it's set in. I also get excited when I'm watching a local TV show and see somewhere I've been before, haha. I like to imagine what it's like to live in or visit places I find interesting. There's an online game called GeoGuessr, where you're dropped off anywhere in the world on Google Maps with all the clues as to where you are removed, and you have to figure out where you are. There's more to it if you're interested, but I love it because I get to explore new places and also places I've always known about and wanted to go to.

I've been on lots of tours of old jails where I live, it's a pretty popular thing here in Australia. I've done the night ghost tours at all the ones I've been to, it's fascinating and terrifying at the same time. I haven't had any ghostly experiences of my own, which surprises me considering I lost both my parents recently, and wish they would visit me. Maybe one day.

• Love 4

@monicageller, if you like jails, check this out:

http://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/old-clay-county-jail/

This is one of the most historic jails in the US.  You can Google 'Green Cove Springs Florida Jail' and find more.  'St Augustine Florida' has a bunch, too.  These are jails that date back to the beginning of the US.  I live in Clay County and had to go through my divorce in the old courthouse and it is beyond creepy.  Like feel your skin crawl, creepy.  The area where they used to marry people, if you wanted to do it there, is especially unnerving.  HATE that place, just being there makes your skin itch.  It just feels wrong.  

Your parents will come.  I think our people wait until we are ready.  They know we welcome the visit but that it also kinda hurts us, too.  They will choose the best time for you.  :)

• Love 3
On 2/12/2017 at 8:49 AM, MissMel said:

Ok, have any of y'all been to the little Mystic Pizza town?  I found a website, probably from TWoP, about it many years ago.  It was really neat.  I still need to know what was in that damn pizza!

Yes! I've been to Mystic, CT and it's very picturesque, looks just like the movie. I, too, love visiting movie locations. It's kind of an offbeat hobby of mine (my long-suffering DH Mr. Chevious just rolls his eyes and goes along with it) and have visited many in the past. I've been to two houses used in Ferris Bueller, the houses from Body Heat, the Big Chill, the first Home Alone, Sleeping with the Enemy (the one supposedly in Iowa, but really in SC) and the Fried Green Tomatoes cafe (I've actually eaten fried green tomatoes there) just to name a few. I have a whole list of them and whenever I go to a particular area of the country, I make sure to visit any on the list. And Hooked on Houses is one of my very favorite websites! 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Yes! I've been to Mystic, CT and it's very picturesque, looks just like the movie. I, too, love visiting movie locations. It's kind of an offbeat hobby of mine (my long-suffering DH Mr. Chevious just rolls his eyes and goes along with it) and have visited many in the past. I've been to two houses used in Ferris Bueller, the houses from Body Heat, the Big Chill, the first Home Alone, Sleeping with the Enemy (the one supposedly in Iowa, but really in SC) and the Fried Green Tomatoes cafe (I've actually eaten fried green tomatoes there) just to name a few. I have a whole list of them and whenever I go to a particular area of the country, I make sure to visit any on the list. And Hooked on Houses is one of my very favorite websites! 

Hahaha yep. If we are going to a place we have never been, I look to see if it's close to any filming locations.  

• Love 3

Yep, me too. There's several overseas that I'd love to see too. Like the Wales village and the Beach cottage in Half Light. And not just movies but TV shows too. I've been to Mt Airy NC (the fictional Mayberry). What's really cool is some enterprising couple has built a completely faithful re-creation of Sheriff Andy Taylor's house as a B&B and one can spend a night in Opie's room, Aunt Bee's room, etc. Too bad it's in Wisconsin, far way from where I live. Check it out, don't know the name of it but google will find it.

• Love 3

I'm on your trips too! Love all the stories and photos.

I was working on a music video and found the flower shop from "Six Feet Under." I can't remember whose mansion we shot at but I've noticed it in other videos. Back when MTV actually paid them all day. Extras were Nicole Ritche and Paris and Kim? Stewart. 

Random: Bumped into Nick Notle in Monte Carlo. Unfortunatley this was before everyone had cell phones. I'll have to look though my books for good photos.

• Love 2

They're not necessarily "movie" locations but I get called on-location for lots of haunted places around the country. Last year, for instance, I went to several haunted prisons and abandoned mental hospitals to do investigations and radio slots. If it's not going to be a lot of filming then I sometimes take my son with me (he's 9). Last year I took him to California with me. We did a show on the Queen Mary (which we both loved) and then I got booked into Gram Parsons' room at the haunted Joshua Tree Hotel. I was also writing a book about Gram and the hotel so it was double duty at the time. My son is such a good sport that as soon as we got there I went to the bathroom and when I came out he was already setting up the recording equipment and trying to find the Ouijia board in my suitcase. 

Yeah, we're a different kind of family. 

When we lived in the UK I spent a lot of time in haunted locations in Wales and England. I had just read THE MISTS OF AVALON and saw the mini series when I moved there. Having a big old crush on Michael Vartan, I high-tailed it to Glastonbury where I visited some of the sites from the book/movie and pretended I was chasing Lancelot. 

Good times, good times. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mamadrama said:

They're not necessarily "movie" locations but I get called on-location for lots of haunted places around the country. Last year, for instance, I went to several haunted prisons and abandoned mental hospitals to do investigations and radio slots. If it's not going to be a lot of filming then I sometimes take my son with me (he's 9). Last year I took him to California with me. We did a show on the Queen Mary (which we both loved) and then I got booked into Gram Parsons' room at the haunted Joshua Tree Hotel. I was also writing a book about Gram and the hotel so it was double duty at the time. My son is such a good sport that as soon as we got there I went to the bathroom and when I came out he was already setting up the recording equipment and trying to find the Ouijia board in my suitcase. 

Yeah, we're a different kind of family. 

When we lived in the UK I spent a lot of time in haunted locations in Wales and England. I had just read THE MISTS OF AVALON and saw the mini series when I moved there. Having a big old crush on Michael Vartan, I high-tailed it to Glastonbury where I visited some of the sites from the book/movie and pretended I was chasing Lancelot. 

Good times, good times. 

I would love being in your family. Sounds like a blast.  

One day I will make it to the Queen Mary. ??

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mkay said:

One day I will make it to the Queen Mary. ??

We toured the Queen Mary several years ago when we were in the LA area. We'd heard the stories about it being haunted but didn't give it much thought. After we got home, we were looking through our pictures and noticed one I had taken of my husband and a strange shadow behind him. I could swear that wasn't there when I took the picture.

Two more - my daughter and went to Fall River MA to see the Lizzie Borden house. This was back when we took pictures with our camera and got prints back from the drugstore. When we saw the Lizzie Borden house pictures, we gasped because the windows all had an orange & yellow light in them. Looked like there was a fire inside the house. Those lights were definitely not there when I took the pictures.

And last but not least we went to the Magic Kingdom in DisneyWorld about a 18 months ago on a family trip.  We were just leaving and my daughter took 3 or 4 pictures of Mr. Chevious and me in rapid succession using my cell phone. In one picture, there's a figure with a baseball cap and no face sitting right on the wall behind us. Transparent because you could see the black wrought iron fence right through him. We all knew there was no else in the background when the pictures were taken. That one really freaked me out.

Edited by Miss Chevious
Shaky fingers
  • Love 2

I love the Queen Mary. I have visited there several times to visit the various displays throughout the years. I visited the Princess Diana dresses display. I was in awe. Such beautiful dresses. There was a card on display that Diana had given to a friend of hers. It was an adult birthday card. In it, Diana had written a dirty joke. That lady had one hell of a sense of humor! I miss her.

I didn't note anything haunting on the ship. We visited the ghost tour at night one time. Very interesting.

One thing I avoided was the propeller. There is a part of the ship where you can enter into a covered room and you can see the propeller in the water. It is somewhat dark in there. They have underwater lights focused on the propeller. I guess that makes it seem scary to me because I won't go in there. I visited it once when I took a field trip there when I was in 6th grade. It didn't bother me then. It sure does now. I won't even look at a photo of it. Weird. I won't cal it a phobia because I can see other images of propellers, but something about this particular propeller bothers me.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

I love the Queen Mary. I have visited there several times to visit the various displays throughout the years. I visited the Princess Diana dresses display. I was in awe. Such beautiful dresses. There was a card on display that Diana had given to a friend of hers. It was an adult birthday card. In it, Diana had written a dirty joke. That lady had one hell of a sense of humor! I miss her.

I didn't note anything haunting on the ship. We visited the ghost tour at night one time. Very interesting.

One thing I avoided was the propeller. There is a part of the ship where you can enter into a covered room and you can see the propeller in the water. It is somewhat dark in there. They have underwater lights focused on the propeller. I guess that makes it seem scary to me because I won't go in there. I visited it once when I took a field trip there when I was in 6th grade. It didn't bother me then. It sure does now. I won't even look at a photo of it. Weird. I won't cal it a phobia because I can see other images of propellers, but something about this particular propeller bothers me.

The propeller area in the bottom bothered us as well, as did the hole they stuck prisoners in during WWII. 

Here are some pictures I took on the Queen Mary during our investigation, including one of the propeller area that @GreatKazu mentioned. The boat is said to have more than 100 different ghosts...

Last shot is of Baby Drama. I made up a drinking game-one of us had to take a swig of Coke every time someone said "ship." We went through an entire 20 ounce bottle in 2 minutes flat. He thought it was hilarious. 

qm 5.jpg

tour ghost 3.jpg

tour ghost 5.jpg

tour ghost 10 .jpg

tour ghost 12.jpg

DSC08380.JPG

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 4

Crap!!! I caught a quick glimpse of the propeller image as I scrolled through your images real fast. lol  Please take no offense at me not looking at your photos. I read your comment about you posting the propeller image and I knew I had to scroll fast. lol

Speaking of haunted places, we once visited the Whaley House in San Diego. My youngest swore about seeing haunting images. I didn't. I want to believe there was something happening as we visited:

http://www.whaleyhouse.org/

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

Crap!!! I caught a quick glimpse of the propeller image as I scrolled through your images real fast. lol  Please take no offense at me not looking at your photos. I read your comment about you posting the propeller image and I knew I had to scroll fast. lol

Speaking of haunted places, we once visited the Whaley House in San Diego. My youngest swore about seeing haunting images. I didn't. I want to believe there was something happening as we visited:

http://www.whaleyhouse.org/

Ha ha, no problem! It was the place on the ship that seriously disturbed us as well. No picture adequately captures the weirdness of it. 

Here we are ghost hunting and researching in Joshua Tree. This is the hotel room where Gram Parsons overdosed and died. The mirror is an original feature from the room and has hung there since the beginning. The room has become a kind of shrine to him. People leave stuff outside the room in the courtyard too. 

small 5.jpg

small 8.jpg

small 4.jpg

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Ha ha, no problem! It was the place on the ship that seriously disturbed us as well. No picture adequately captures the weirdness of it. 

No, you are right. The photo just doesn't do it justice although it is enough to scare the bejesus outta me. lol 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, GreatKazu said:

No, you are right. The photo just doesn't do it justice although it is enough to scare the bejesus outta me. lol 

It's also blurry. Because of the light, it was difficult to get a good picture in there. I couldn't look down at it for very long. Something about the lighting, the depth, etc. *shudders* I actually had trouble sleeping that night, just thinking about the fact that it was beneath us. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Here are some pictures I took on the Queen Mary during our investigation, including one of the propeller area that @GreatKazu mentioned. The boat is said to have more than 100 different ghosts...

Last shot is of Baby Drama. I made up a drinking game-one of us had to take a swig of Coke every time someone said "ship." We went through an entire 20 ounce bottle in 2 minutes flat. He thought it was hilarious. 

qm 5.jpg

tour ghost 3.jpg

tour ghost 5.jpg

tour ghost 10 .jpg

tour ghost 12.jpg

DSC08380.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Loving all the stories and pictures.  

• Love 5
On 2/11/2017 at 10:17 PM, AhFillAck said:

Who?!  I think I first heard that quote on RHoNY, but don't know if that is where it started. I think your pic is cute. Would much rather see someone in the moment and having fun than the BS pics Leah and Kail post of themselves. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

Mkay,  you live in Shreveport?  I went to high school there!

Neat!!! No, I'm from a small town outside of Texarkana.  Shreveport is maybe an hour away. But I go there often! ??