Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Bill's Birthday Surprise

• Start Topic

On a complete aside - I love your icon, walnutqueen :)

Thank mojito, my friend, for hooking me up with tiny ineffectual dinosaur arms.  SO happy you noticed my disability that does not show itself.  :-)

Now, where's the nearest JAZZY store?  'Cause I think I broke my fuckin' foot last nite..

Topic?  I want a family who remembers my b'day, other than my sick old Mum.  :-(

• Love 1

Topic?  I want a family who remembers my b'day, other than my sick old Mum.  :-(

We must share the same mum. Mine forgot me on my birthday AND Christmas and they are only a week apart. She is not senile, just mean.

Love families that celebrate birthdays and milestones. Jen can throw us a party with ponies any time. I want cake like Will too.

• Love 4

Thank mojito, my friend, for hooking me up with tiny ineffectual dinosaur arms.  SO happy you noticed my disability that does not show itself.  :-)

Now, where's the nearest JAZZY store?  'Cause I think I broke my fuckin' foot last nite..

LOL! I can hook you up with the scooter! I'm the office manager for a mobility device franchise, I've got 3 scooters just waiting to be rented in the office right now. And if you give us a week, we can get you a ramp or stair lift to go with it! 

I have to agree, I too would like family members who actually remembers my b'day too. I don't need ponies or massive parties, but a fucking card would be nice. I like Bill and Jen go all out for each other on the big birthdays and the kids's for birthdays so far. It's their special day, have at it. Given the rough starts the kids had in the world, I hope they live it up every year with a nice party. 

• Love 4

LOL! I can hook you up with the scooter! I'm the office manager for a mobility device franchise, I've got 3 scooters just waiting to be rented in the office right now. And if you give us a week, we can get you a ramp or stair lift to go with it! 

I have to agree, I too would like family members who actually remembers my b'day too. I don't need ponies or massive parties, but a fucking card would be nice. I like Bill and Jen go all out for each other on the big birthdays and the kids's for birthdays so far. It's their special day, have at it. Given the rough starts the kids had in the world, I hope they live it up every year with a nice party. 

Don't you be tempting me  ...  I need a fucking trailer attachment for "cat food".  Everything is close & handy ,but it's all downhill or uphill for me!

Edited by walnutqueen

Really!  At your age?  Still in diapers?  What is wrong with your parents?

Apparently they used food for everything and now I am obsessed with food, food, food........lol!  

#cakecakecake

@walnutqueen--I'm sure I have an 8 track around here somewhere, probably in storage with the old reel to reel and the albums.............

@Jellybeans---a very warm and heartfelt (belated) Happy Birthday AND Merry Christmas!  

Happy New Year everyone!

• Love 3

You're welcome.

If anyone else wants an avatar, PM me and let me know what kind of pic you want.

Loved the reference to northwest serial killers in the 70s. And Steeley Dan? Ah, the 70s....

Edited by mojito
  • Love 3

I keep waiting for someone to mention it but there was a diaper wearing astronaut in Texas caught up in a love triangle. Her name is Lisa Nowak if anyone cares. ::giggles::

walnutqueen, at least you're not going sideways.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 2

I keep waiting for someone to mention it but there was a diaper wearing astronaut in Texas caught up in a love triangle. Her name is Lisa Nowak if anyone cares. ::giggles::

walnutqueen, at least you're not going sideways.

I think that's what Walnutqueen was referencing with the diaper comment.  That chick was a whackadoo.  We are completely off-topic.  Lol

I'm so glad they didn't end the season with this episode.  I'm not ready to say goodbye yet.

• Love 4

Oooh.  I have some old Steeley Dan on 8-track.  Can I come too?

Of course!  And you can sit up front if your tapes are quadraphonic!  lol

I'm so glad they didn't end the season with this episode.  I'm not ready to say goodbye yet.

I'm glad too.  I'm all for leaving it up to Jen and Bill to make that decision--they will know when the time is right!

• Love 3

In my opinion after many years as a mental health professional, we need to remember that Will and Zoey were not just put up for adoption.  They were, (especially Will) for all intents and purposes, tossed aside and abandoned most likely because of their dwarfism.  The fact that Will, who we know was basically left to die before he was taken in by New Day, was malnourished and probably had no maternal bonding after his birth and yet has fallen in love with his "baba" is a miracle in itself.  When I see him smiling and laughing and running around their house and saying he loves his daddy, it brings to mind the many adopted children I have seen over the years who were brought to the USA from other countries.  These children had no bonding, no love and no nurturing in their early months of life and as a result can not bond with their adoptive parents, trust no one and have extreme difficulties fitting into social settings with other children.  The Kleins took a huge gamble when they adopted Will and Zoey, but it looks like all 4 of them have won the lottery when it comes to building a family.  They will have uphill battles with delayed milestones and innate personality traits, but Jen and Bill are facing everything head-on and Will and Zoey will grow into well-adjusted and loved members of society.  

Agree. The fact that Will is able to bond with anyone at this point, considering the obstacles in his way since birth - is nothing short of miraculous.  And needless to say, a true testament to the outstanding care and committment of the staff at New Day.

• Love 4

Agree. The fact that Will is able to bond with anyone at this point, considering the obstacles in his way since birth - is nothing short of miraculous.  And needless to say, a true testament to the outstanding care and committment of the staff at New Day.

I couldn't agree more regarding New Day putting Will on the right path with their loving care and guidance and included a surgery according to his bio.  One lucky boy!      

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 4

My TV watching is getting caught up and I finally saw this episode.  I was thrilled to see how improved Will's speech is when he said I want sgetti.  He's talking in complete sentences at times now and it shows the hard work is paying off. 

ETA:  A space can change the entire meaning of a sentence.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

All you December birthdays come to Momma. My son is Christmas Day and he gets a minimum of 2 parties a year. Although, one year, we used his cake here for a party with the local grandparents and then packed it up and took it NC for birthday with the other grandma. Will would be happy to know that we don't waste "ceck." 

@walnutqueen and @Jellybeans--may I go too?  You can stay at my house as a consolation!  But we'll have to be careful with the astronaut diapers--it'll get tongues wagging!  lol

Well now I gotta come with too!  and I'm from Houston (but not there now), so I can get us around town following them while looking like Native Houstonians & not potential adoptees/stalking fangirls.

We must share the same mum. Mine forgot me on my birthday AND Christmas and they are only a week apart. She is not senile, just mean.

Love families that celebrate birthdays and milestones. Jen can throw us a party with ponies any time. I want cake like Will too.

There are 2 bdays in my family this week.  I've made 2, count em TWO CAKES this week!  We can go all Will on some cake!  

Happy Birthday(s)!!! 

• Love 3

I got a little emotional watching them all come together for Bill.    The families seem so loving, and he is such a great guy---seeing him so touched by Jen's big surprise got to me.     It's happened so fast but he and Jen have done such an amazing job of building a life and family together.   I am so glad he's dealing with his back--so often since the kids came home, he's done the heavy lifting because she's so tiny--and you could tell he was hurting.     I want him to be able to enjoy their life and their kids without being in pain.

Edited by car54
  • Love 4

I would like to see Jen just get on the floor & play with her kids like Bill does. Kids love that. I wonder if it ever bothers her how loving the kids are with Bill & seems to mostly prefer him. 

Isn't Jen a foot smaller than Bill? There's no way she could be on the floor with those two playing on her like they do Bill, she's just too petite. Gosh those kids were cute at the pumpkin patch. Too funny. As well, I am noticing that Jen continues to be such a sharp dresser - her outfits get nicer and nicer with each season.

• Love 2

I am watching the "Big Updates" version of this episode, and Bill mentions the reason for the early visit to the pumpkin patch is because his surgery is between "now" and Halloween, and this is one of the last weekends he'll have the chance to participate in this activity. 

The logistics and planning that went into getting everyone to New York without Bill's knowledge was pretty impressive.  The kids took a flight with Jen's parents only an hour after Bill & Jen!  Bill was totally blown away and completely distracted from his upcoming surgery, and touched to have so much support on hand for his big day.  Fantastic job, Jen.

The love and appreciation that Jen's family has for Bill is so obviously matched by the love and appreciation Bill's family has for Jen.  It is truly inspiring to see how much love surrounds this little couple.

• Love 7

Isn't Jen a foot smaller than Bill? There's no way she could be on the floor with those two playing on her like they do Bill, she's just too petite. Gosh those kids were cute at the pumpkin patch. Too funny. As well, I am noticing that Jen continues to be such a sharp dresser - her outfits get nicer and nicer with each season.

and also if her neck is fused she probably can't lay on her tummy and lift her head like Bill does.

• Love 3

"Happy Daddy!"

Damn that kid.  His optimism and enthusiasm for life is ridiculously infectious !

I just love him !

edited:  too many "justs"   :)

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

"Happy Daddy!"

Damn that kid.  His optimism and enthusiasm for life is ridiculously infectious !

I just love him !

edited:  too many "justs"   :)

ITA.  Like Jen said in her talking head Will is a "baba's boy."  Will was so happy to be with Bill at that party.  They just have a special bond those two.  Not to say that Will doesn't love Jen or Bill doesn't love Zoey.  I noticed in a few episodes that Bill gives Will a pat on the head a lot of times.  Its so cute. 

Loved Will's posing at the pumpkin patch.

Loved Zoey's dress at the dinner.  Also in the extended clip they showed an extra scene where Bill's brother Tommy was pretending to mess with Zoey and she was letting him know that she was not amused.  Although she gave him a kiss on the cheek at the end.

• Love 3

Loved Will's posing at the pumpkin patch.

I suspect Will has been taught a few things for the camera!  He raced to a pumpkin and turned and posed before Bill was ready to take the shot even!  The film crew got it but Bill had to ask him to do it again then said good job.  And then Dave got him to put some hay in his mouth like a cowboy.  And at the restaurant he took a sprig of parsley and put it in his mouth the same way.  He is camera ready all the time with the things he has been taught to perform.  He just beams when he pleases the crowd!    

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 3

I suspect Will has been taught a few things for the camera! He raced to a pumpkin and turned and posed before Bill was ready to take the shot even! The film crew got it but Bill had to ask him to do it again then said good job. And then Dave got him to put some hay in his mouth like a cowboy. And at the restaurant he took a sprig of parsley and put it in his mouth the same way. He is camera ready all the time with the things he has been taught to perform. He just beams when he pleases the crowd!

The most wonderful part of being a parent are the experiences that surprise you, moments just like that one. It's as if there is a glimmer of an adult with duh similar humor to yourself having fun in a situation. I think the camera caught lightning (or maybe just a funny, cute, spontaneous flash) and we were lucky to see it too. I think it's not even conceivable to consider Bill and Jen 'train' their children to act out a scene for the camera. More likely, Will simply wants to get a positive reaction from his family with the things he does. Which is much better than acting like a brat or an out of control child. If you ask me, and I know none of the negativity in here would, these kids are doing great. They continue to improve, they are happy, they get more exposure to their extended family than most families do, they are being educated and well cared for medically. I am not sure why anyone here would presume to know more than they do about their children's timeline of progress or how we can doubt the veracity of their intentions and actions.

• Love 10

The most wonderful part of being a parent are the experiences that surprise you, moments just like that one. It's as if there is a glimmer of an adult with duh similar humor to yourself having fun in a situation. I think the camera caught lightning (or maybe just a funny, cute, spontaneous flash) and we were lucky to see it too. I think it's not even conceivable to consider Bill and Jen 'train' their children to act out a scene for the camera. More likely, Will simply wants to get a positive reaction from his family with the things he does. Which is much better than acting like a brat or an out of control child. If you ask me, and I know none of the negativity in here would, these kids are doing great. They continue to improve, they are happy, they get more exposure to their extended family than most families do, they are being educated and well cared for medically. I am not sure why anyone here would presume to know more than they do about their children's timeline of progress or how we can doubt the veracity of their intentions and actions.

Well said, justafan!   Wish I could give this post my daily quota of Likes.  :-)  I've seen so many spontaneous moments just like this, and not even for the camera (I don't DO pictures), in my own life.   I think one of the ways kids show their love is by trying to delight or entertain the people they love.  Will and Zoey both came up will cute little antics this episode:  Will with the pumpkin pose; Zoey with the kissing game with her uncle.  I see these kids blossoming (blooming?), and can only attribute this to the parenting they are receiving.

• Love 4

I swear the most stressed I used to get when my boys were babies and toddlers was taking them to Sears for photos. 

Oh boy, your comment made me chuckle at my own 'memories'. My oldest, who was generally the sweetest, outgoing and amiable child there was, turned into 'demon child' once a year at Sears. Not a year went by where I wasn't stressed and embarrassed by his actions. You're right - he must have picked up on my stress prior to the photo shoot.