Type keyword(s) to search

Enlisted - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

POLL CLOSED

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to continue watching Enlisted?

• Yes, 100% on board
    • I'll check out another few episodes and see if I like it
    • I won't turn it off if it comes on TV but I probably won't actively seek it out
    • No way I'm watching another episode

Sgt. Pete Hill must serve as both big brother and military boss to his two brothers.

What did everyone think? I really enjoyed this a lot! Some of the supporting characters didn't quite work for me but the lead three actors really had great chemistry, and I can see why critics felt this to be the best of the sitcom pilots this season. Even Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Trophy Wife had mediocre pilots compared to this. Very excited to follow this show. 

Derrick needs help with matters of the heart and Randy comes to the rescue.

I'm enjoying this show more and more, but I'm afraid it's lost because it's on Friday. Please watch people, it's fun! And I'm sure it's fun even if you aren't home alone on a Friday. DVR!

• Love 1

I agree! I was so not into watching it but nothing else was on and I have the Hopper so it auto records anything in prime time... I watched it basically because 1) Piz and 2) I could skip the commercials. I'm glad I did! This is a fun show!

• Love 1
Pete decides to embrace his rear detachment assignment, but his new attitude is quickly challenged by a husband of a deployed soldier; Cody enlists the help of Jill in handling a personal matter.

I am really enjoying this show, but I'm afraid it's not getting the ratings it could because it's on Friday night. I've seen someone suggest somewhere that it would be a much better pairing with Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and I'm inclined to agree, if only so I can hear Andre Braugher and Keith David back to back.

I think this was shown out of order, there are some pieces that don't quite fit (Pete just hit the superior officer and got thrown out of Afghanistan two weeks ago?), but there were some really good parts - anything Parker Young is in, of course, and the story with the Sergeant Major and Sgt. Perez was fun.

• Love 1
Jill helps Pete through a breakup after a woman he neglected to call it quits with before being deployed to Afghanistan reenters his life. Meanwhile, Derrick and Randy test the dating waters without each other as wingmen, and come to some startling revelations.

"When Randy, Derrick, and Pete look after three veterans who seem to be future versions of themselves, they re-evaluate their lives." I hope the future versions of themselves aren't the same three actors in old-age makeup like on that one Scrubs.

This was such a great episode! It's so rare for a show to be this deft mixing comedy and sweetness, but l loved how the old vets were allowed to be fully rounded characters (including that they were pains in the ass), and the denouement with Pete at the support group was handled in an understated way that made it all the more moving. I will be so sad when the show is cancelled, which seems inevitable.

I was a Nielsen Family couple of weeks ago. Most of my favorite shows were preempted because of the Olympics, but I did watch Enlisted. I did my part.

Buy Bonds!

Watching on Hulu and other legal online entities is also a good thing, as Fox can and does track those stats.

As Tara said, actors have to keep looking for that next job (it's a very uncertain profession), but Enlisted still has first call on their services if it's renewed. And I don't think it's out of the question that it will be, not at all.

I have a lot of love for this show, but if this is the episode Fox wanted to go out on before the hiatus to prod viewers to keep watching, then I think that was a major misstep. (what else is new?)  Schneeberger, and his relationship with Pete, was a total cliche of the prissy, knows-nothing-about-"real"-warfare commissioned officer vs. experienced enlisted man conflict.  It might have worked better if they'd cast someone who could play Schneeberger with even a modicum of subtlety.  

Derrick's plot with CSM Cody worked a lot better, and I think could have easily functioned as the A plot.  They did a good job of incorporating Chris Lowell's real-life passion for photography in a way that I think is very consistent with what we've seen of Derrick's off-hours life so far.

This was the first episode I didn't love... in fact, I disliked it, purged most of it from my memory, and don't want to watch it again (though I will, only to punch my Enlisted fan card on Hulu). Maybe I'll like it better on second watch but I doubt it. Well, I'll try not to get down about it, 8 out of 9 is a good track record. tgrfan23, I agree, this wasn't a good episode to leave people with... anyone on the fence will probably hop off after this. Do you think the folks at Fox know they're treating this show like garbage? Are they getting off on it, is that why they're doing this?

I usually burst out laughing several times but only once did I let out a small, "ha," (I think it was Randy in the first spokesman scene). Nothing about the "poo gun" was funny to me, both because I'm not a fan of potty humor and because this show usually keeps it realistic, so all the tech-y ray gun visuals and sounds took me out of it. As for Schneeberger, he was definitely annoying and unlikeable, so I could understand Pete's annoyance... but why are we only meeting his superior now? Is he in another episode or what? On the positive side, Geoff Stults was kind of precious, trying to get his platoon pumped and sulking as they fawned over someone else. Could have come off as obnoxious but I found it adorable.

I find it annoying when characters become their actors, so Derrick getting into photography (and being superb at it) was meh for me. But at least there was payoff... I'd been wondering what they would do with him; keep him miserable for as long as possible to keep him in the army aka on the show, send him off when he discovered his (likely to be non-army related) passion... this settles it.

I know I'm a little late to the conversation but I've been holding off on Enlisted because it seemed like that show that I could catch whenever. I'm biased because I fell for Parker Young's version of this same kind of dumb but lovable character on Suburgatory. Also, Keith David. Come on now. But the show won me over on its own. I thought it was funny and charming while not stretching too far out of the typical sitcom mode. It made me laugh but I could definitely see the way the dog thing would work out as soon as they introduced it. Then again, I feel like Brooklyn Nine-Nine does something very similar and I've stuck with that show.

• Love 1

I love this show.  It makes me laugh so hard but, so often, I find myself tearing up a bit too.

And, well, me gusta dat booty.

Edited by Nilo

I think maybe Schneeberger might have been introduced in "Prank War," which STILL hasn't aired yet.  It's the only reason I can come up with for why he hates Pete so much.  Other than the obvious fact that Schneeberger is a raging douche, of course. 

I don't necessarily disagree with any of the criticisms -- the A-plot weirdly felt like something out of Chuck, and not in a good way -- but I thought the closing Band Of Brothers-esque montage was great even before the milk-bath photo popped up and made me giggle.

For me, even though they're so different, Cody anchors the show in a similar way to Holt on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Without them, characters just run around going nuts.

I credit Parker Young for making what could have been a very one dimensional character to the next level.

He did a great job as Ryan on Suburgatory too.  Ryan was just  a very pretty, very crude, very very dim jock, but he ended up being surpringly endearing without the writer's severely retconning the character.  I give Parker Young full credit.

This is so disappointing. I fell in love with Enlisted so quickly and so deeply. I did the live tweeting and hashtagging, I watched live and online repeatedly for ratings... all for naught. Apparently this is very Fox, to treat shows like crap... I hadn't watched this channel in years, so I didn't know that. After they air the last few episodes (which I think is definitely happening, just not sure when), I don't see myself tuning into Fox for anything again. I learned my lesson!

Is there any chance another network could pick this up?

• Love 1

Awww. Argh.  It was looking more and more likely, but one always hopes. Maybe that "shop it around to other networks" idea will work out this time (though it seldom does...).

And they better show those remaining four episodes!

• Love 1

Just watched "Rear D-Day",it is on Hulu. Liked how Sgt. Maj. Cody had Jill Perez help him watch his daughter around town. The questions he asked about growing up was funny.

Pete fighting his "T Man" problems was funny and him getting the new attitude. Randy trying to connect with Tim Spartz was funny. Dad Rodney was annoying but I know he was trying to look cool infront of his son. It was nice that Pete appologised later. "Embrace the suck" was their theme.

Other high lights were: 1)Poor Chubowski getting hurt all the time. 2)The oil Bowling, and the videos. Some are on utube. 3)Private Robinson and her sweating issues. 3)Private Parks and her toughness

I really wish it could get a 24th hour save like Unforgettable did last season. The show has the combo of silly humor, cute remarks that take awhile to catch and then the tear jerker/nice message. It harkens back to older style comedies that arent all dumb or sex related like today

Just saw it on Hulu. "Brothers and Sisters" had Pete meeting up with an old GF Jeanie. She is at camp to do a stage show. Thought it funny that he got back with her even though she was mad he never called after he went over seas. He said he was a fade out bf. Not just break up, but fade away. But we saw Sgt. Jill Perez teach him how to break up. Her hug showed she liked him! Then Jeanie thinks that Jill was after Pete.

Sgt major singing was nice until he broke into Kid and Plays song. LOL

And Randy and Derek out dating or trying to. I did figure Derrick would get close to the bartender Erin. Randy's handstands worked good.

Just saw it on Hulu. "Parade Day" Had the team doing Doody duty. Cleaning up after a Parade and Pete wanting to have them do precision instead. But most wanted to just goof off at first. But funny how all showed, Randy, Derrick, Gamble, Robinson, Park, Dobkiss and the svelte Chubowski all telling why they were there. Chubowski trying to loose another 10 pounds, lol.

Sargent Jill Perez was let have her team do it because Sgt. Major Cody thought her team was best. But Pete's team showed them on the parade route, shovels and brooms, in hand. Nice Job!

Also thought it funny the Shifflet Boys versus the Grubby Boys and the toasted Pig float. Tony Grubby was a red head he could have been a Shifflet

Watched the 3rd episode 2 times. Will have to go back on HuluPlus and watch the first 2 again. Pete's Airstream was kinda cool. Episode kinda touched on PTSD. Pete didn't have a lot, but he wanted his "Me" time. The others thought they needed to be there to help him. That was funny. The girls in the bar was funny. Little Beetlejuice, lol

The private that SSGT. Perez made twice do the National Anthem was funny. I liked a lot of it, and it had its funny parts and it's soft spots. Which is good. I don't get into all the sex and swearing a lot of Comedies do anymore. The Party was funny especially when Pete "Went All Backdraft" on of them. The 2nd party was cute. Except when beer drinking raper(didn't remember his name)came up with the beer in his left had, and then Randy pushed him away at another camera angle and the beer was in his right? Little goofs. Also all the lectures on Sink Holes etc. Then the soldier actually falling in one. I will keep watching.

Also Pete's imaginary gf was strange being a Randi, with an I, compared to his brother Randy?? Now growing up my brother called me girls names, but not usually like that. LOL

When a prank war between Pete and Jill's platoons reveals Pete's hidden weakness, Derrick and Randy must help their brother maintain the respect of the platoon. Meanwhile, desk-bound Cody gets a chance to put his old soldier skills to work.

• Love 1

Just watched on Hulu. Thought "Soldier Appreciation Day" was cool. Pete, Derrick and Randy paired up with the 3 Korea Vets, Patrick(Stacy Keach,"Mike Hammer"), Dan(Dean Stockwell, "Quantum Leap"), Russell,(Barry Bostwick,"Spin City") all did a great job! Thout they matched up with the Hills pretty well. Wasn't right to have all the rest at the beach while they took care of the vets, but it was fun. Derrick rushing into the Marine's Bar. Then was funny how Russell sat at the bar with the Marine uniform on saying he was a Marine as the bartender could tell. Randy taking the coin, and then Swede the bartender hiting him, and he runs was funny. Seems the Vets learned from the boys too. I had hoped like Pete did that Patrick would show for the funeral. But nope.

Then the lesson at the end with Randy buying the hat, but forgetting to pay and being tackled by the Security Officer. We see Derrick going to meet Erin and her son Sam. Then Pete going to the Support Group. As my wife said, hope this helps some Vet. Probably the best Episode so far.

We also saw Private Luiz is back.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just watched this on Hulu. The Mondo Spider was cool. But 2nd Lt. Tyson Schneeberger was a dick. Pete having to appologise over the pa. But I thought the "Yes Syrup" was funny. I figured that Cammander Cody would not like the pa being used for that. Lt. Jill Perez liked Tyson until she saw he was using the team for test dummies for the poo gun. It was kinda funny how he took out the whole team as Pete with Randy at the wheel drove the Paint Cart 5000 through to stop him and get the flag.

Derrick was grabbed by Sgt. Major Cody to take portraits of him. The milk bath was funny as was some other possitions. But then Derrick caught the Squad winning. Well most on the ground after they had messed themselves.

Edited by webruce