Type keyword(s) to search

Mozart In The Jungle - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/17/2018 at 1:30 PM, Ladybyrd said:

Rarely, though, have I seen so little effort to conceal a six month pregnant belly.

Who is pregnant? Saffron delivered her daughter in Jan 2017, long before S4 shot.

Edited by Maricopa
  • Love 2

Hailey's clothing when conducting is so inappropriate, especially the low-cut slip dress she wore in the Japan semi-finals! As a (female) musician, I would have been completely distracted by her braless boobs bouncing around. It's also strange that she would go with those looks when she was worried that people would just see her as Rodrigo's girlfriend.

It's pretty funny that when she finally dressed somewhat appropriately, she didn't do very well... I guess she needs to let it all hang out, literally?

• Love 10

yes, I was surprised at that dress too. I understand LBD for the occasion but that was extremely inappropriate. How was it that nobody commented on that either in constructive looking out for her way, or snarky chauvinistic way...

also... how do her boobs stay in that low cut wrap top? Asking for a friend.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NicoleMN6 said:

Hailey's clothing when conducting is so inappropriate, especially the low-cut slip dress she wore in the Japan semi-finals! As a (female) musician, I would have been completely distracted by her braless boobs bouncing around. It's also strange that she would go with those looks when she was worried that people would just see her as Rodrigo's girlfriend.

It's pretty funny that when she finally dressed somewhat appropriately, she didn't do very well... I guess she needs to let it all hang out, literally?

All season I was distracted by her choice of clothing. Hai Lai your girls need a little support.

• Love 3

Halfway through the season, and I’m really enjoying it. Love Haileys musical muses, and Rodrigo seeing Liberace (of all people!) as his new muse. This show always gets me to play my classical music Pandora station more, which is always a good descion! 

• Love 3

Finished the season, and it was delightful. I ended up really enjoying Rodrigo/Hailey, and I hope they can make things work out next season. I also really loved Thomas and Haileys relationship, they mentor ship is really cute. My one complaint about the season is we didn't get to see as much of the New York music people as we normally do. 

I also loved Hailey seeing her own snarky historical mentors. And Rodrigo finally got his mentor back!

• Love 3
On 2/27/2018 at 1:12 PM, Bean421 said:

Hailey's clothing when conducting is so inappropriate, especially the low-cut slip dress she wore in the Japan semi-finals! As a (female) musician, I would have been completely distracted by her braless boobs bouncing around.

Suspend disbelief for TV show fun...I'm sure that was on purpose, as I was also waiting for something to escape. There is some pretty heavy-duty wardrobe tape. Plus Lola starred in something called "Free the Nipple," so....

I just finished the tea garden episode, but I wanted to ask if anyone understood what happened with Hailey during the performance. Did Rodrigo screw with her head and take away her confidence, or was it really an example of her choking at a big moment? I thought it was beautifully done, but I didn't quite get what happened? can anyone explain it to me, or is it resolved in he three episodes I have left?

By the way, just a lovely, lovely television show. Very sorry I didn't give it a chance until a couple fo weeks ago (I honestly thought it was about a wacky guy starting an orchestra in the Amazon. Because I am stupidly literal somtimes). 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, whiporee said:

I just finished the tea garden episode, but I wanted to ask if anyone understood what happened with Hailey during the performance. Did Rodrigo screw with her head and take away her confidence, or was it really an example of her choking at a big moment? I thought it was beautifully done, but I didn't quite get what happened?

I saw it as a bit of both.   Hailey wasn't expecting such a detailed critique of her flaws even though she asked for his honest, unbridled opinion.  She just was going through the motions  instead of "conducting with the blood" because her confidence was shot.

• Love 2

when i binged-watched the 4th season, i already knew the show had been cancelled, which may have colored my perception, but while the final episode could have functioned as a season finale, it had the feeling of a series finale -- and a relatively satisfying one, at that. all of the characters had grown, emotionally and professionally. that said, i would have loved to see when a 5th season would have led them.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Emmy nominations!

Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour) - Ichi Go Ichi E
Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And Animation - Domo Arigato

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
On 2/6/2016 at 5:16 PM, WatchrTina said:

(What DO orchestras use in lieu of real cannons when they perform [The 1812 Overture]?)

On 2/8/2016 at 3:15 PM, paramitch said:

When I played a symphonic performance of the 1812 Overture on third (well, fourth hee) cello, we used a big mallet that coincided with recorded cannonfire. Some performances use actual cannons, bass drum, or other deep percussion options. Recorded cannonfire is actually cheap, easy and just requires a very careful, attentive  sound person/engineer.

Or, if you're really going low-tech, paper bags!

I am so late to the party here that no one even remembers there was a party, but I've been meaning to watch this show forever and, well.  Pandemic bingeing, need I say more?  I've finished 6 episodes of S1 and now Prime is having itself a little nutty and refusing to show me E7-E10, so I thought I'd take a few deep breaths and come over here for a while.  I'm an amateur musician myself, and play in a community band.  Our season has been canceled due to COVID, and I miss it SO MUCH.  We're all in it for the fun, but musicians gotta musician, so there is still plenty of drama over the kid who waltzed in out of nowhere and sat her butt in the first chair flute's seat, and the crazy French horn guy who mutters under his breath the entire rehearsal, and the trumpet player who wears the same outfit every rehearsal (which inexplicably consists of short-overalls with a Tigger hat...and I don't mean a ball cap with Tigger on it, I mean a hat in the shape of Tigger)...I miss my friends 🙂

I actually read Blair Tindall's book earlier this year, and found it a peculiar mix of dull and eyeroll-inducing.  She claims she never meant to write a tell-all, but I'm not buying it.  She knew exactly what she was doing, and I finished the book disliking her.  I fell down an internet rabbit hole this morning and discovered that she was actually married to Bill Nye the Science Guy for a hot minute back in 2005.  There's a WHOLE lot of drama surrounding that union:  He contacted her out of the blue after reading the book, proposed after just a few months, then "surprised" her with a very public wedding officiated by Pastor Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life.  Yo-Yo Ma played her down the aisle.  Things went to pot 2 months later when they were notified by the state of California that their marriage license was invalid, for reasons that have not been disclosed.  In the meantime they had bought a house together -- both names on the mortgage, but his $$ for the downpayment -- and she allegedly took a big financial hit trying to extricate herself from that.  I kind of lost track of all of the legal wrangling, but at one point Bill had 2 restraining orders against her for allegedly stalking and for pouring weed killer on the roses in the garden of the house they used to share.  There seems to be some crazy on both sides of the equation, honestly. 

Back to the show, though, I'm a flute/piccolo, so of course I watch Union Bob carefully during orchestra scenes.  Wikipedia says he's the piccolo player, but I've only seen him with a picc in his hand once, in the 1812 scene ("This humidity is warping my wood!").  Later in the same scene we see him with a flute (which of course makes sense, because we double all the time), but the case he was clutching when they arrived at the empty lot wasn't big enough to hold both a flute and picc.  Sigh.  At least he holds the damn thing correctly; I can't count how many times I've seen people in media holding a flute out to the left.

Heading back to Amazon to see if Prime has gotten over its snit...

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 3

I'm in S3, and MAN is this La Fiamma teeeeeeeeedious.  I'm not a big opera fan, and the whole tortured diva storyline isn't doing much for me.  I guess they had to dedicate significant time to it to justify trucking the whole production over to Venice.  The scenery is great, though.  

I just found out that the actor who played Union Bob died of COVID in March.  That makes me sad.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

I am playing in a community band this summer, and the band president's name is Bob.  Every time I see him, my brain yells "Bob the Union!"

I doubt anyone in this band would get the reference.  Thanks for letting me share :) 

• Love 2