Type keyword(s) to search

Mozart In The Jungle - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love this show. I planned to savor it and just watch an episode a day. But I'm hopeless. I was completely done in a few hours. Now I have to wait an entire Ayear. Sigh...

Anyone else finished? 

• Love 4

I'm on episode 5. In my opinion it gets better after the first ep. I really missed having the "band" together so to speak so far in what I've seen. In this ep I loved Rodrigo's really earnest " I don't want to insult the chef!" Because of course he wouldn't. 

I really need to find more fans of this show. I heard someone walk past my office obviously describing this show to someone when I hear her pronunciation of hailey (Hailaaa!) but they were gone by the time I got out there to find my fellow fan. 

One of my favorite lol moments so far comes in ep 4 but I'll wait for that thread to open to bring it up!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, HollyG said:

I love this show. I planned to savor it and just watch an episode a day. But I'm hopeless. I was completely done in a few hours. Now I have to wait an entire Ayear. Sigh...

Anyone else finished? 

I finished as well.

Gael Garcia is such a good comic actor, I love his Rodrigo.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He's pretty good with drama, too. I recently watched "Rosewater" (Jon Stewart produced, based on true events) and he was magnificent.

Jon Stewart actually directed "Rosewater". But I agree we was very good in the movie. 

I really enjoythis show. I was trying to savor it but I ended up watching the whole season yesterday

• Love 1

I haven't finished the season but I can at least say that 

Spoiler

Hailey eventually stops wandering around giggling and having things handed to her, and starts trying to actually affect events around her.

And someone calls her out on the giggling.

• Love 2

I enjoyed season three much more than season two. The stories were a little more cohesive, and Hailey finally had some reversals, and stopped having everything handed to her. I also enjoyed Monica Belluci's arc.

I admittedly skipped the documentary episode. Too meta for me.

Hope to hear from more people over the holidays.

• Love 1

I shouldn't have been surprised but somehow I was still surprised when Hailey and Rodrigo actually hooked up at the end of the season. i figured it was just going to be UST for the whole series and anticlimactically fizzle out with a "we love each other as friends" episode but they actually went for it. I wonder where the show goes from here.

• Love 4

The first few episodes of Season 3 almost caused me to stop watching. The Monica Bellucci episodes were just too much. One episode, maybe. But an entire arc? Yawn. I missed the orchestra.

I like the evolution of the Rodrigo/Hailey relationship, but I think the evolution of Hailey as a character needs to be escalated next season. I love that she holds her own with Rodrigo, but she's still a little too one-note-college-girl to hold anyone's interest much longer.

• Love 4

Ooh good. With this thread  I can share my favorite season 3 Rodigo moment now! Although now I can't remember which episode.  It's right after la fiamme takes off and he dramatically yells at Hailey...."Why am I surrounded by these dramatic people all the time?!"  And then collapses to the ground. The irony and the drama behind that moment completely cracked me up. Love it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I was mostly bored by the extended period spent with La Fiamma. But it picked up once the "family" was back together.

I've never been that fond of Hailey, and this season certainly hasn't changed that. I don't know that it's bad acting, but more that the character doesn't really have any...character. Almost all the other members of the orchestra are better defined. Even Bob.

Roderigo was delightful with that group of children.

• Love 2

Can anyone answer a question for me? I haven't read the book on which this show is based, and I've just binge-watched all 30 episodes in about 24 hours.....is Rodrigo supposed to be much shorter than Hailey? She seems to tower over him in every scene, and yet IRL the actor is 4 inches taller than the actress, so it can't just be her shoes. Were they deliberately making him hobbit-sized?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Can anyone answer a question for me? I haven't read the book on which this show is based, and I've just binge-watched all 30 episodes in about 24 hours.....is Rodrigo supposed to be much shorter than Hailey? She seems to tower over him in every scene, and yet IRL the actor is 4 inches taller than the actress, so it can't just be her shoes. Were they deliberately making him hobbit-sized?

Hmm, interesting if it's true he's taller in real life. I've always assumed the actor was just diminutive and I kind of admired the way they weren't making a thing out of her being taller. (Haven't read the book either.) IIRC he looked tiny alongside some other actor this season as well, but can't place who it was.

• Love 1

I didn't realize that the actor is taller in real life, though it occurred to me more than once that even though when running around Rodrigo looks considerably shorter than Haley, when there are hugging/kissing scenes they don't look THAT mismatched in height...

Lola Kirke is listed as 5' 3" and GGB is listed at 5' 7" in their IMDB profiles, but they sure look the exact opposite in the show. I did take a peak at the Amazon reviews for the book, and it seems that the book and tv show don't share much other than a premise: young female oboe player trying to make it in NY orchestra. So I wonder why they decided to make GGB look shorter than he actually is.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Season 3 as the episodes went on. Did not love the first few where the orchestra was in NYC and Rodrigo and Hailey were in Italy. Loved the sequence where he locked them in the church and forced Betty and Gloria to negotiate. I also like the arc of Hailey learning to become a conductor. Looking forward to seeing where Cynthia/Basketball Player go next season.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2016 at 0:43 AM, NicoleMN6 said:

I have to call total bullshit on the assistant's passport situation. No way would Michael have not realized that he needed a new passport, as he was making all the maestro's travel arrangements. And even if he really is that stupid, he would have been able to get an emergency one done within 24 hours in New York City. So, presuming that this was at least a 10-day tour, he could have caught up with the orchestra after the first concert easily.

But, to paraphrase a saying from the TWoP days -- or was it Mighty Big TV? --  contrivance was getting a Coke from the fridge.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Michael the Assistant didn't want to travel.  He had only ever been to Canada, when he was eleven, and his passport picture was that old. He wasn't at all upset, just went, "Sorry," and bounced.  Contrivance just crossed her legs and said, "Hmph, nothing to do with me."

Edited by Archery
  • Love 1
On 1/9/2016 at 3:54 AM, Noirprncess said:

My favorite episode of the season.

Cynthia got busted by all of her past and present lovers. Lol serves her right.

Had to laugh at grandma's reaction to them kissing.

Abuelita: "Not in front of Jesus!"  LOL. 

• Love 3

I sure hope there's a season 4.  I really enjoyed the season, except for the ending which I kind of hated.  Loved the addition of opera but glad they didn't do it all season.  I did watch the 'documentary' episode (which was actually filmed at Riker's Island with a real orchestra  http://untappedcities.com/2016/12/12/mozart-in-the-jungle-films-episode-inside-rikers-island-for-detainees/), and while honestly wasn't that crazy about the pieces they chose it was a great piece of film.  And set it up really nicely for the goofy ridiculous episode that followed.  

Just got into season 2 and I was wondering when they would bring in lesbianism. Because you can't have a drama in this day and  age without 2 women making out with each other. It''s impossible. The writers think they are being so fresh and so innovative and edgy, but it is in EVERY SINGLE SHOW! I might sound anti-gay but that is not it at all (many many of my closest friends and family members are gay- lol lol  to be completely cliche) I love Orange is the New Black, Denise on Master of None, Queer as Folk is one of my favorite shows ever.  If the character is part of the show or fits the show, it's fine. But I am anti-edgy -but -not -edgy -anymore drama writing. Lesbianism is so 2012. Let's stick a lesbian storyline in! As much as lesbianism appears in every show, you would think one in every four women these days are lesbian.  I about died when they had the main character in Upstairs Downstairs become lesbian for ratings. Here I am after Downtown Abbey ended watching a period piece, and they had to go there. Apparently it was to increase ratings because the 2 actresses were favorites in the UK, so why not have them make-out with each other? It's just so damn cliche'. Come up with something new already. You should hear me yelling at the TV: here we go again with the lesbians!

• Love 1

Mozart in the Jungle received three Emmy nominations:

OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A NARRATIVE PROGRAM (HALF-HOUR OR LESS)

OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR A COMEDY OR DRAMA SERIES (HALF-HOUR) AND ANIMATION

OUTSTANDING CINEMATOGRAPHY FOR A SINGLE-CAMERA SERIES (HALF-HOU

• Love 2

I just started watching this and am in love with these characters - well, most. Season one was very strong, season 2 (I am in the middle of it now) weaker in comparison but the acting saves it. Especially Gael, Malcolm and Bernadette.

Speaking of whom, how old is she now? I was a teenager when she first hit the movies and she looks younger than I am, now!

Edited by FemmyV
  • Love 4

I just mainlined the first 3 seasons and happily loved it at much as I thought it would. (I was hoping for something like Slings and Arrows and the similarities are there.) I really didn't like the idea of Rodrigo and Hailey as a couple the first couple of seasons but the way season 3 set up the need for Hailey to separate professionally from Rodrigo makes it much more compelling. Plus, we've seen enough of how she grounds him that it makes sense of their relationship.

I wanted more Cynthia and Betty and hoping season 4 delivers. Dying to see Betty on the board! She's going to raise hell.

• Love 2

@Pollock I like that list!

Rodrigo is really the lynchpin that this series revolves around and I love how the actor takes a character that could so easily fall into assholiness and make him so charming and relate-able. Certainly his self-awareness and passion for music is a part of that. 

Plus, GGB is just so damn attractive!

• Love 4

Just finished a binge of Season 4. I think this one is my favorite. I liked seeing Thomas take on the Queens orchestra and his continuing dance with Gloria. Particularly liked seeing Hailey finally able to step out from Rodrigo's shadow and battle back against choking to shine as the substitute conductor. The Tokyo scenes at the competition were interesting as well. I love Michael Emerson so it was a very nice surprise to see him pop up in a few episodes.

Wonder what Rodrigo will do next?

• Love 2
On 2/17/2018 at 4:30 PM, Ladybyrd said:

Enjoying season 4 so far.

Rarely, though, have I seen so little effort to conceal a six month pregnant belly.

Is that what I’m seeing? Just beginning season 4 as I’m doing a lot of Olympic viewing. 

Okay, finished and thoroughly enjoyed the season. Stray observations...

- Bernadette Peter's cleavage is one of the miracles of the world. The woman will be seventy in ten days.

- Liked seeing the struggle of trying to make it in a male-dominated field as a young woman. Things like how those judges would never choose two female finalists...it all felt very true. Certainly we'll-timed, too. It's probably the least showy role, but Lola Kirke is really fantastic.

- Could have done without the youth orchestra? 

• Love 3