Type keyword(s) to search

Mozart In The Jungle - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Things are about to erupt between the board and the orchestra, and Rodrigo prepares to do whatever it takes. As the tables turn with each double cross, no one is safe. Not even the greatest composers in history. The future is uncertain.

How did he not see her going of the rails like this?. She was a complete nutter.

But I love that Rodrigo can temper his ego with humility.

I feel bad about Union Bob. He listed Cynthia in his top THREE?. That's either sweet or pretty darn sad.

Union Bob looked pretty handsome with his hair slicked back. What a great guy.

I play violin and it really annoys me that the top players are all actors who don't play when they do close ups of them sawing away. Just substitute another body.

Wow that smooch!

Soooo glad betty congratulated her. I so understand the impulse to get encouragement but that is the downside. Someone can quash you. I've seen people especially women give up when someone didn't jump up and down over their talent (writing, music etc) while guys usually don't.

And the bottom line is teachers are only human. They're just guessing, they can be wrong.

• Love 1

From my experiences in the nonprofit performance world this Is much much closer to reality than the cliche ridden flesha nd bone. Hell, the turning point is closer to reality by far than the turning point with it's shrieking choreographer and blatant attempts to pimp out a dancer.

I met Bernadette peters after writing about Her (the capital is ipad correction but I'll leave it because fabulous) and she looks even better, younger and thinner in person. She must have had some minor work, botox and fillers, but she has had it done so artfully and subtly that she looks natural and yet youthful.

Forget fountain of youth, I want to know who her plastic surgeon is,

I play the violin... Youth orchestra survivor and now irish fiddle. So I adore this though the violin faking is painful.

I did love episode ones beginning- I said wait! That guy is really playing!

Oh it's Joshua bell.

I'm looking forward to inhaling season two this weekend.

Oh as for $400 an hour.,, yes that's about double what it should be.

My teacher is an all Ireland fiddle champion. He charges $80 which is high, I'd guess philharmonic would e $150-200.

I think it's completely plausible that even philharmonic players who each make six figures which is comfortable in New York teach and take side jobs.

My original plan before some physical ailments got in the way was to be a professional musician as a day job and write by night. I'd never have been good enough for New York but was well on my way to being good enough to be in a section (not concert mistress, nearly every pro concert mistress and principal second has a concert career or could) but in a pro section. This show makes me kind of miss that.

Though overall, life in a section sucks and is very dull, a lot of harmony and measure counting, which is why it's a good thing that our protagonist is a woodwind player. In an orchestra wood winds have a very different experience, lots of waiting yes but when they do come in they always matter,

• Love 5

Lennox, a guest "enfant terrible" conductor, brings some anger and fury to the orchestra. Thomas battles his oldest demons and hears the crash of his legacy. Rodrigo does everything in his power to keep the world around him from going out of tune. Nina and Cythia disagree on negotiation tactics. Through the chaos, priorities become clearer. Changes will be made.

Thomas shares his symphony with soon-to-be-ex-wife Claire, who finds the music absolutely breathtaking. A funeral becomes the setting of backstage plotting between the orchestra and the board. Rodrigo attempts to let go of something from his past, but she will have nun of it. Hailey goes on a date with a board member and finds out more than she thought she would.

The gang celebrates Betty's 35 years in the orchestra with some tequila and a special guest. Hailey breaks the cardinal rule of touring: what happens on the road, stays on the road. Negotiations hit a wall and the idea of a work stoppage begins to sink in. Rodrigo develops a mysterious ailment, and must adjust his senses while filming for a new Virtual Reality video game.

Rodrigo shows Hailey HIS Mexico and takes her to a performance of his childhood youth orchestra. Thomas and Gloria meet with Juan Luis Delgado, the richest man in Mexico. Cynthia gets a surprise visitor and ends up in an unexpected position. Maestro Rivera, Rodrigo's mentor, asks him to fulfill a promise.

Hailey has more work than she planned on during the orchestra's Latin American tour. When a stolen violin threatens the tour's final concert in front of Rodrigo's former maestro and a potential major donor, Rodrigo has to call in an old friend. An adventure through Mexico City's underworld ensues.

Guest cellist, Andrew Walsh (Dermot Mulroney) invites Hailey out to see Lang Lang play, and gives her, her first real glimpse inside the world of classical music's elite crew. Thomas and Rodrigo enjoy a rare guys night in and end up in a tent in a living room, exploring the farthest corners of their minds. Gloria proves she is more than she appears.

After one drum circle too many, Rodrigo is evicted from his apartment -- though it doesn't take him long to find a new roommate. Hailey and Lizzie help Bradford record his podcast about a famed building for artists. Hailey thinks about her future as one of the tenants recounts some famous performances. The threat of a strike causes some musicians to feel the heat.

A near disaster during a live performance forces Rodrigo to make some changes in how he conducts not only himself, but his orchestra. Gloria extends an unusual invitation to Hailey. But, as the young oboist will soon find out, there is no such thing as free dinner.

Well, I binge watched Season 2 (just like I did with Season 1) and hearing Rodrigo (GGB) call Hailey- "high-ah-ligh" still makes me laugh every time. I found some of the story lines a bit more contrived than I would like (the whole search for the concertmaster's "missing" instrument was a little far fetched) but what draws me in are the performances by the individual actors. As a classical musician myself (I'm a singer and a conductor) I have observed some pretty nutty behavior from orchestras and fellow singers (especially opera). I think that's why I love it so much- while yes, it's exaggerated for the show, in some cases I found myself nodding my head at how real some of it was! Gael as Rodrigo is brilliant casting IMO- warmth, passion for his art, charming. Some of the conducting faking is pretty awful- that would be my only pet peeve. Can we see a downbeat SOMEWHERE people? LOL! But it's great TV. 

• Love 2

I like the actors (as usual for shows) but the writing is awfully pretentious and fairly cliched at times.  I didn't like the old society matrons being giggling horndogs around Rodrigo, for example.  

Smitten, bumbling, Asian Sharon reminds me of smitten, bumbling, Asian Robin in "Don't Trust the B".  

I have to call total bullshit on the assistant's passport situation. No way would Michael have not realized that he needed a new passport, as he was making all the maestro's travel arrangements. And even if he really is that stupid, he would have been able to get an emergency one done within 24 hours in New York City. So, presuming that this was at least a 10-day tour, he could have caught up with the orchestra after the first concert easily.

But, to paraphrase a saying from the TWoP days -- or was it Mighty Big TV? --  contrivance was getting a Coke from the fridge.

• Love 2

This show is so much better than the book! (Really has very little to do with the book, aside from the title and having one of the show characters be an attractive young oboist.) I play oboe and read the book after watching the first season and was very disappointed. It's great to see the perspective of the conductor, the other musicians, the board members and fans (Jason Schwartzman's podcaster).

Looking forward to Season 3... in 2017?

• Love 1

Poor Rodrigo. Things were going so well too! What did the guy expect from him? He has a major career, he cant just become a teacher all of the sudden! 

Kind of a dick move on Cynthias part, blowing her friend off then taking his reservation to hang out with the lawyer. I dont trust the lawyer at all. 

• Love 3

Getting a magical curse put on him just seems like something that would happen to Rodrigo. 

The super dramatic sinister music at the end was cracking me up. I half expected Darth Vader to come strolling out while Mr. Corporate Guy made his evil plans. 

• Love 1

Beiben is a nut. I'm glad they voted against him.

So, Rodrigo's "curse" was truly gone when he realized that Hailey had moved on?. Or that she was one of the reasons his deal was voided this saving him from a horrible commitment of no music for 2 years,9 mos?

Edited by Noirprncess

I love what this episode showed us about Rodrigo, and loved the way the reactions of the musicians showed us who they are at heart. For me this was, thus far, my favorite episode to date, balancing a love of music with a realistic and sly eye toward the reality of the working musician. 

Anyway. I absolutely love the show, and love the way it reminds us of the gypsy constant life of musicians struggling to both make art and to make a buck, and I love the palpable love for classical music that the creators share with us in each episode.

I've never been a particular fan of classical music, but love this show (and am appreciating the music more because of it). I decided to give it a go because my husband is a musician (though not classical).

The 1812 Overture, however, I am familiar with. Back in the 70's, my ex and I used it as retaliation for a noisy neighbor's constant blasting of the Saturday Night Fever album. We won. :) It is a great piece of music - even to my plebian ears.

I really enjoyed watching this episode and seeing the musicians joyful and relaxed.

• Love 2

I was just thrilled, that as a classic music ignoramus, I was able to identify Mozart as the creator of the variation. (the big thing I retained from the movie Amadeus - "too many notes" is what gave me my Jeopardy moment). The interaction with Roderigo and the board guy was a lot of fun. It's always good to see someone like him get taken down a peg.

• Love 1