Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Renewal Thread

Elysium1973

Are we going to get another season or is season seven it? Do you guys just blindly want another season or should MilMarMann let this season end on a "high" note? Also, anyone know what Stana's been tweeting lately that may indicate she's done with the show?

I've decided I want this season to be it. As far as ending on a high note, I'm less confident that will happen, but I'd rather end it then let it drag into an eighth season where I fear the story will really plummet along with my interest in the show (which is waning with this season so far). I also want Nathan and Stana (and really all the cast) to be free to pursue other projects and passions full-time and I think it's time for the creative team to move on too. 

Also, anyone know what Stana's been tweeting lately that may indicate she's done with the show?

I don't think anything she's tweeted lately indicate she's done with the show.  She hasn't really even tweeted about the show at all (which isn't really rare for her).

Of course, I don't know Stana so she very well may want the show to end or want it to continue forever.  But I don't think we can tell from what she's tweeted or even her interviews.

• Love 1

Ah, idle speculation. For the record, I think this is a bad, bad topic.

The only thing I remember Stana tweeting about that may have been interpreted as her being done was she hashtagged a post about the last ADR of the year (2014) as #SoakingUpEveryMoment, which I guess could be construed as the beginning of the end or something. But at the same time, she's always talked about living in the moment and doing things wholeheartedly and enjoying all of life, so part of me thinks that's just how she lives.

Someone also asked her if she knew how season 7 was going to end. She said no; and at this point, if she was going to walk away I think she'd have mentioned something about the possibility to tptb so they can wrap things up. She's the one that was conferencing with Marlowe about her character arc and if there were things that she needed to know for later. I think she'd have at least an idea if they had all agreed it was ending.

• Love 1

I don't see anything wrong with speculating about the future of the show, it's S7 so given that most people understand everyone's contacts were up for renewal after 7 years it makes sense to discuss it, many fans are doing so.

I don't read anything much into Stana's tweets which even if they do relate to the show seem to revolve around some harmless trolling of the fans about vague plot points, I doubt very much she'd be hinting at contact negotiations or her future in tweets and as for that idiot Lopes, he's a glorified hanger on and shit stirrer who gives me the impression he knows bugger all of any importance. 

I'm in the same position as S55. When it comes to the life span of the shows I watch I believe quality should win over quantity, I've never been a fan that wants things to go on forever just for the sake of it being around, I don't see the point. Given what I've seen so far I'd rather it finished now than limp along with steadily declining ratings for a few more years whilst everyone squeezes as much money out of it as they can until it's cancelled.  The writing is getting steadily worse season on season, the actors at times are starting to look like they're going through the motions and it looks suspiciously like the budget is getting stretched too, either that or they're not using it very well. If I thought things were going to improve then I'd want it to go on but it's not a blip from what I can see. 

That said, I'm sure they'll probably sign for a few more seasons and we'll get to see a season 8, they may even have already signed something up and it's just a case of making an announcement later on. The ratings are good enough that it makes it worth their while to keep it going, they've got nothing much else that's looking a winner to replace it. It's also a steady secure income for both leads (and showrunner) in an uncertain business, I doubt artistic integrity comes into it much. I never take actors etc that seriously when they say it's the art that drives them not the pay cheque, even the huge stars. Money always talks loudest in Hollywood. 

Edited by verdana

Attention whore John Lopes is trying to stir up a three more seasons rumor:

@The_JML: I'm curious:

Retweet if you'd like a Season 8 & 9

Favorite if you'd like a season 10

#Castle #threemoreyears http://t.co/ps9EfLvzPB

Ugh, why can't he just go the eff away already? Of course as fans give him the attention he so obviously craves, he continues to slither out occasionally and pull his "I'm a big effing deal" card. Which, in the end, he just isn't. Blech. 

Posting any further spec on Katic's situation here as suggested by Wendy.

drstanakatic
6 hours ago
#Castle BTS 24:
These are my men. Before I go radio silent, I want to single out these two: Rob Bowman & Andrew Marlowe... What an incredible creative collaboration!
I will go anywhere with these two. Their commitment to great storytelling, their incredible work ethic & their talent made them a dynamic pairing.
#Kinetic
#Love
https://instagram.com/p/1sFAy0x4fQ/

drstanakatic
7 hours ago
#Castle BTS 23:
So much of the Castle story came from these two. I remember shooting the pilot with Terri Edda Miller & Andrew Marlowe in NYC. We were all so new to TV then. So green. We've learned a lot these years. What you've watched & the characters you've fallen in love with never would've happened if not for Castle's creator Andrew Marlowe.

Andrew & Terri wrote the finale. One of my favorite Beckett moments ever is in this ep.
Thank you, Andrew. Thank you, Terri... For giving me a capable, complex, loving & formidable woman to play. Castle wouldn't be what it is without you.

https://instagram.com/p/1sEMVZx4eN/?taken-by=drstanakatic

In light of the speculation that if Marlowe did leave would that make Stana think twice about continuing, these comments above make me wonder about that even more. The second picture is a nice one of them together, if this isn't a farewell well she's certainly doing a great job of making me waver in my belief that she's going to continue. I feel sad thinking about the possibility that she isn't going to be there next season. May this is her way of giving her appreciation to those three as they depart but I wish they'd make an announcement one way or another and get it over and done with and put me out my misery.  

I'm also intrigued to see what Stana's favourite Beckett moment is in the finale, hope they did her proud. 

Edited by verdana

Halwiderman, nice to see you still here. 

I agree that a change in showrunner for a formulaic procedural show like Castle isn't a big deal and isn't going to change much on the show, which will always revolve around the formula of a COTW.  Of course my concern, regardless of who the showrunner is, is how they are going to maintain the classic fun and light-hearted hallmark of a show like Castle if Beckett isn't there and the characters may have to take a darkly tragic turn.  Fingers crossed, it won't come to that.  I might like that kind of thing being explored well in a chapter of fanfic but I don't think I could bear the Caskett love story with a tragic ending explored on a season of TV.

Just a thought, but maybe the unexpected career opportunity for Beckett in the finale could also be some sort of top secret undercover mission?  Hey, if Castle can "disappear" for whatever reason, maybe Beckett can too?   I would handwave something like that rather than have Beckett killed which would be unacceptable. Maybe negotiating a contract for a few guest spots with Stana could be a kind of compromise solution if it really comes down to that?  Of course I'd rather have Stana all in, but a little Beckett would be better than no possibility of Beckett ever again at all. 

Honestly, i don't think I'm going to miss Marlowe if he's out.  He's a pair of safe hands but at the same time I'm not too concerned that the show would lose something special if he were to exit.  And who knows, maybe a pair of less safe hands would bring something fresh and new and even better to the table. I don't think Marlowe has anything new left to offer to Castle.  I think Terri still does bring something to the table as a writer so it would be good for the show if she stays.  But if Marlowe goes, she probably will too.  Even if Milmar exit the writers' room, they'll still be credited as creator/executive producers, right?  So would they still be able to have some oversight on the show?

Edited by madmaverick

I think this goes here now? I was offline all of the weekend, so I can't be sure.

My question re: contract negotiations is this: I'm imagining Stana and Nathan talk outside of scripted things, right? Kinda feel each other out, see what kind of perks the other gets, what the chances are that the other will say yes, yada yada yada. So would he have signed a new contract if he had the feeling that there was a good chance she wasn't going to sign one, too? That seems like a bad idea, unless by him signing first if the show gets canceled (by ABC, by her decision to back away, whatever) he still gets paid. I still don't think he cares enough about Castle to have a fundamentally different show (if Beckett leaves) to be enough of a draw to stay for another season.

It just seems to me that it would be unlikely for him to sign something for more if he knew chances were better than not that she was going to walk away. Unless he didn't want to be seen as the bad guy, and I guess with the internet-crazies that's totally possible.

I don't put much stock into Stana's tweets, other than being interesting. Literally everything she does is analyzed and over-analyzed, and this wouldn't be the first time where she's gotten sentimental over the end of a season and it's been taken the wrong way.

• Love 2

I think it would have been appropriate if 723 kept "TBD" as its title, especially given the possibility of Stana Katic's departure.

A Katic-less Castle could go one of several ways (none of which would appeal to me -- rather like picking up a half-eaten cookie)

1. Death by catastrophe or disease. Tricky, because a grieving Castle changes the tone of the show, and a non-grieving Castle, unless it were fast-forwarded several years, would likely piss off a good-size chunk of the current fan base. Would it become a father-daughter PI show?

2. Divorce. Hard to pull off believably, but would give Fillion a chance to return to S1 page-6 jackass version of Castle.

3. Beckett "permanently" offstage by out-of-town job, witness protection, coma... Problematic because it keeps the character of Castle kind of in stasis..

Watching this whole process go by reminds me of that idea that sausage loses its culinary appeal when you see how it's made. Rabid Tumblr/Twitter-ing just adds a whole new ingredient of "offal" (or, come to think of it "awful) to the process.

This is only supposition and speculation on my part, so take that for what it's worth here.

I don't say this to make one half or the other sound callous, so if it sounds that way, I apologize in advance. But honestly? I don't think Stana crossed Nathan's mind or Nathan is crossing Stana's as far as contract negotiations go.

It may seem selfish, but in La La Land, actors have to look out for themselves if just because of agents, perks, what have you. This is not to say that the show is not a team effort, but - and I can be wrong and will gladly be corrected if it comes to it - the contract end seems a more "sum of the parts of a whole" approach. So beyond Fillion's and Katic's agents perhaps looking for parity, I think contracts are very singular, again, unless one is part of a huge hit show, where the team collective is more of a beneficial course of action.

• Love 2
So would he have signed a new contract if he had the feeling that there was a good chance she wasn't going to sign one, too? That seems like a bad idea, unless by him signing first if the show gets canceled (by ABC, by her decision to back away, whatever) he still gets paid.

I think I read something, somewhere, some time ago (so take with a grain of salt) that yes, if an actor signed a new contract, but his/her show for some reason isn't renewed, he/she should be compensated. Because they might miss on other jobs, probably. Pilot season and all. So I don't think he would lose anything by signing, only gain.

I get that they probably don't consult each other about contracts and things, and I really don't expect them to, so I don't think it sounds callous. I think that's just business. 

But what advantage does he have if he signs a contract and she doesn't (unless by doing so he gets paid when an 8th season doesn't happen)? I really don't think "hey, we'll have an 8th season either way!" is enough to make him sign something to do more, because I don't think he's all that attached to Castle's storyline. If Stana's out then the whole show changes and a lot of people will be mad, so it just seems like a poor business decision for him to agree to more if he knew of any indication that she was going to walk.

I think I read something, somewhere, some time ago (so take with a grain of salt) that yes, if an actor signed a new contract, but his/her show for some reason isn't renewed, he/she should be compensated. Because they might miss on other jobs, probably. Pilot season and all. So I don't think he would lose anything by signing, only gain.

It would surprise me if he got paid a lot of money if he signed and nothing happened. I thought Hollywood contracts are specifically worded so that the network would not have to pay if the full cast doesn't pan out.  He would get paid for episodes filmed that didn't air though.  And he wouldn't really be missing work, because they wouldn't start filming until July and we'll definitely know what's happening by then.

I don't think Nathan would sign a contract just because he thinks he'll be able to get paid for nothing when Stana doesn't sign.  That would be kind of diabolically awesome from a business perspective though.

I really don't think "hey, we'll have an 8th season either way!" is enough to make him sign something to do more, because I don't think he's all that attached to Castle's storyline.

But isn't the fact that he doesn't care about the story (particularly the romance part) make him more likely to sign without worrying about what Stana wants? He'd probably prefer to do more scenes with Molly and Susan.

Edited by KaveDweller

I think it would have been appropriate if 723 kept "TBD" as its title, especially given the possibility of Stana Katic's departure.

A Katic-less Castle could go one of several ways (none of which would appeal to me -- rather like picking up a half-eaten cookie)

1. Death by catastrophe or disease. Tricky, because a grieving Castle changes the tone of the show, and a non-grieving Castle, unless it were fast-forwarded several years, would likely piss off a good-size chunk of the current fan base. Would it become a father-daughter PI show?

2. Divorce. Hard to pull off believably, but would give Fillion a chance to return to S1 page-6 jackass version of Castle.

3. Beckett "permanently" offstage by out-of-town job, witness protection, coma... Problematic because it keeps the character of Castle kind of in stasis..

The only plausible one for me would be #3 - even though I said I'd take anything than bopping Beckett off, #2 wouldn't sit well with me either.

If by some quirk of chance the show does continue without Beckett, I don't see #3 happening because of the limbo thing. The character of Castle would be held hostage by a ghost of sorts and that wouldn't fly, IMO. So, as much as many would hate it, and I understand why, I do think the more likely scenarios are divorce or death.

If by some quirk of chance the show does continue without Beckett, I don't see #3 happening because of the limbo thing. The character of Castle would be held hostage by a ghost of sorts and that wouldn't fly, IMO. So, as much as many would hate it, and I understand why, I do think the more likely scenarios are divorce or death.

Of course they could just solve the whole damn problem and make the 13 episodes of the two months he was missing. That would solve having to renegotiate any of the other cast member contracts. Heh.

Edited by Nadine

But isn't the fact that he doesn't care about the story (particularly the romance part) make him more likely to sign without worrying about what Stana wants? He'd probably prefer to do more scenes with Molly and Susan.

Maybe, but at the same time he's also said he doesn't want to overstay his welcome, and I think he has to know that if Stana leaves ... the show is basically over, despite whatever media line tptb keep trying to push.

As far as continuing without Stana - I think it's a horrifically bad idea - but if they kill or maim Beckett, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be out (and I think I wouldn't be the only one) and I'll pretend that whatever season finale is in 3 episodes is the end. Same goes with divorce, because I did not spend 7 years watching the development of their relationship for it to be over in a hot second.

Of the two awful options, death makes more storyline sense. Death is not rational and it's not something that you can necessarily prevent, especially in a situation like Beckett's where she could literally face it every day. Divorce makes less sense, because even though they tend to suck communication sometimes (less now), their relationship has been proven to be pretty solid and I don't see them undoing that in three episodes, especially if Stana doesn't re-sign and they're forced into a fix-it situation.

Has she been tussling with family issues?  Career issues, yes.

They talked about kids at the beginning of the two-parter and she was bothered by the fact that the Hong Kong cop had cute little kids, which suggests she was still thinking about it. It hasn't been mentioned lately though.  I would have liked a conversation about how she'd feel about working in the field while she had little kids that could lose a mother (and father if she and Castle are working together).

By whose standards?  Castle's usual standards of heavy handed anvillicious writing, or are we talking, unknown marriages and burning car cliffhangers kind of unexpected? ;)  I'll be very surprised now if it's not politics after the inorganic signposting.

Unexpected to Beckett maybe.  But usually when the Castle writers think they have something unexpected planned, viewers guess it based on whatever they say in an interview.  They're not great at subtlety with spoilers.  Or their scripts.

Divorce makes less sense, because even though they tend to suck communication sometimes (less now), their relationship has been proven to be pretty solid

It's been very solid, and I think their communication has been pretty great lately.  The only way divorce makes sense is if some disaster happens that they survive, but causes them to pull apart.  Only I don't know how they'd show it onscreen with Beckett, so it wouldn't seem believable.

If they kill her off, they'd need to do a time jump to be able to show Castle acting anything like himself.  Otherwise it would be a way different show.  I am still hoping the talk about a Beckett-less show is ABC trying to pressure Stana into signing.

Some people have penalties in their contracts. Like if a pilot doesn't get picked up they get x amount of money. Some people get signing bonuses. These things are both rare.

Typically speaking there is no advantage on Nathan's own part to be already signed on for season 8. Other than the obvious of knowing his professional future I suppose.

This isn't Castle related but related to the pilot part above. If someone gets cast in a pilot but then they get recast and it gets picked up (kind of like Seamus replacing the actor in the original pilot). Do the actors only get the money for the pilot or is there some kind of clause because they were recast, etc. Sounds better in my sleep-deprived head.

Thanks for all the info halwideman - very interested in it because it's the area I'm actually doing my Masters in at the moment (well part of it), etc.

Edited by Nadine

Actors get money only for what they do, otherwise everytime a network cancels a show on the first season they would had to paid 5 seasons of salaries, it doesn't work that way.

Nathan's motivations to sign are his own, he doesn't care about Castle really, so it probably is the steady paycheck or a good rise, who could blame an actor for that?

He has a name and a reputation, he's going to be able to get another job, but ABC needs him (and Stana) so he had a good position to negotiate than with a new project.

And you are all right, he never cared about the romance so if Stana doesn't come back he gets the chance to play something different, no matter what they choose (dead, offstage, divorce).

Thanks halwideman - that was basically what I was wondering in terms of pilot / first season (if cancelled, etc). So answered it nicely!

Back to Castle talk. I mentioned before that the strands I think that are going to be left over for Season 8 for Beckett will be promotion in NYPD, politics and pregnancy (three Ps) and for Castle it would be the move to serious literature (now that he'll have some answers about why he became a mystery writer in the finale). I think the latter with Castle can work regardless if the Beckett character is in Season 8 or not.

Edited by Nadine

If they pick up the show and it's a first year and it gets cancelled they have to pay the actor for the first 7 episodes.

If it's in it's second year and gets cancelled they have to pay for 13 episodes. Regardless of which episode they are on when it goes off.

Is that why they always try to do at least 13 episodes? Do they pay all the actors or are these contracts with the leads?

They are basically committed to a season 8 then, if they have to pay Nathan anyway

Edited by flor

In the list of possibilities, you forgot

4. Replace Stana with a different actor.

It would work if the new Beckett is good and Stana and Marlowe announce a new collaboration. Maybe the die-hard fans would balk for awhile, but they'd come back into the fold if the chemistry is good. And I don't think the chemistry between the current actors has been good for awhile. In fact, it makes me cringe.

And then, of course:

5. The last 7 seasons were all a dream and Castle and Alexis become a crime-fighting duo. LOL

I really think that #4 is the likeliest scenario if Katic leaves. Numbers 1 through 3, to me, represent just wishful thinking that the producers would think that losing Katic would be the end of the world, so the network would obviously have to find a way to keep her. I don't find her disposable, but with a good opening story, life would go on. In the old days of TV that's what they would do. Is anyone here old enough to remember Bewitched and the two Darrin Stevens? That show is a cult classic, now. I vote for Katee Sackhoff as the replacement, BTW.

They are basically committed to a season 8 then, if they have to pay Nathan anyway

ABC hasn't renewed the show yet.  The articles about Nathan said that he signed on for Season 8 if ABC chooses to renew it.

I think the implication was that because Nathan signed another contract and they'd have to pay him anyway, they might as well produce some content (aka: season 8).

I'm not sure if that's cost effective ... actually, probably not, if they still have to pay everyone else (the other actors, the crew) and come up with a budget for the episodes. But then ... they'd be making money from airing the episodes ... so really, I have no idea. I guess it depends on what their net gain would be on making new episodes as opposed to just buying out Nathan's new contract.

Oh, I thought that the more time invested (ie: the longer it's on the air) the more money you get. If your show gets cancelled in the first season, they pay you for a minimum of 7 episodes. If you get cancelled in season 2 you get paid for 13, even if those weren't filmed or aired. That's half a season ... so that makes sense to me. If they got cancelled in season 5, they also get paid for 13 episodes (1/2 a season).

This is a weird situation, though, because there are extenuating circumstances. Do you cancel the series if Stana doesn't re-negotiate? Or do you chance a major overhaul and risk alienating your viewers and try for a new season? Does that effect a contract pay out? If contract negotiations weren't on the table I don't think anyone would think they'd be canceled, so it's really basically hinging on Stana deciding to come back or not - if she does, the show continues, if not, ABC makes a decision on if they keep it around.

I remember Nathan saying in an interview that he didn't want Castle to go on too much past season 6 or 7. He would hate to see Castle limping towards the finish line. A show without either Castle or Beckett wouldn't be limping; it would have its legs cut off at the knees and dragging itself by its arms to the end.

The show is called Castle, but it could have easily been called Beckett or Castle and Beckett. You can't have one without the other. At this point, they are too tied together to have one leave for whatever reason before the show ends.

• Love 2

And they are never going to recast Beckett, please, we are not in the 60s anymore and this is not a soap. But they could get a couple of new characters in the show. It's actually similar to the x-files, no one cared too much about the new characters, but really Duchovny couldn´t be blamed for leaving the show after 7 years. And the show kind of worked (a little bit) on season 8 because they didn't try to replace him. But the x-files was another genre, and Castle can't survive with dark themes all the time.

Nathan's motivations to sign are his own, he doesn't care about Castle really, 

And you know this because you're in his head?  The idea that he doesn't care is freely thrown about, but you don't see that assumption made so much about the actor who hasn't yet decided to stay with the show. 

Good riddance. As far as calling him "incredible?" Meh. No need to brown nose someone who is leaving, Chad. 

I found it amusing that aside from the few tweets from the Creaseys and Rob Hanning, the rest of the writers were oddly quiet. I guess their enthusiastic live tweeting ends when they're no longer filming? Will we be blessed with their insight and wit as the season winds down? If not...I'm really OK with that. 

Maybe it'll help him get the new showrunner job? ;)  

I think the writers and the actors all quit thinking about Castle the minute the season was over, so I expect more radio silence ahead, not that I found the group tweeting particularly scintillating in the first place.  Don't think the writers responded to any of the online reaction to the wedding that never was after last season's finale, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's no response again if there's criticism again this time.  They will of course respond to any praise.  The actress who plays Tory was stuck with live tweeting duty this week although I still don't see her importance on the show.

Thanks, halwiderman, for your lowdown on the showrunner job.  It's not a tough job, I imagine, but being the one in charge is never easy on any job.  It's interesting when I see a strong series like Game of Thrones keep the same showrunners, also the creators, from beginning to the eventual end, and compare it to another strong series like The Walking Dead where they've had quite a few showrunners over the years and the original creator's walked away, but they've still managed a fairly cohesive creative vision.  Both are series working with source material though so maybe that makes a difference.  I think there are shows with more visionary showrunners who stamp their distinctive creative imprint on their work and make it their own, and other showrunners who make less of a mark. 

approves big wardrobe stuff (after the actor likes it)

Still want to know the bts story on that horrible and horribly expensive first wedding dress heh.

Very rarely do I see cases of actors leaving shows because the creator/showrunner is leaving so I personally highly doubt that Stana's contract issues have anything to do with Marlowe or Amann.

Edited by madmaverick

I want to see Scott Paulin in the finale, he deserves to get something to do more after that pathetic walk on mute part he had in 7.06. I hope they don't make the same mistake at this event as they did at the wedding and have his knocking back what looked like champagne.

Good riddance. As far as calling him "incredible?" Meh. No need to brown nose someone who is leaving, Chad.

They love to do this and make such statements but after last night's episode....glad he's gone not that I think he's to blame really this story was ultimately created by Marlowe after all. 

Edited by verdana

He has a name and a reputation, he's going to be able to get another job, but ABC needs him (and Stana) so he had a good position to negotiate than with a new project.

I would think that being able to raise $3 million in a month from his fans (and Alan Tudyk's) for a 10 episode web series, would convince at least some studio people that NF has a fan base that will watch him in anything. 

I would think that being able to raise $3 million in a month from his fans (and Alan Tudyk's) for a 10 episode web series, would convince at least some studio people that NF has a fan base that will watch him in anything

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, he has a following and many people love him. And studios had to know that he gets along with his peers, and he's a pro. But he gets a chance here because ABC needs him if they want to keep doing Castle, that gives him a leverage to get what he wants. And he signed so I guess it was what he wanted, whatever it was, money or a combination of time off, storylines and money, it was a good deal to him vs. going out and find another proyect.

I'm kind of starting to think that they're just doling out this information for PR purposes. Could it be that SK's contract was never in question, the "leak" wasn't miscalculated and wasn't a leak at all, but a conscious move by ABC to generate some brouhaha for the Castle finale and next season?

Good to hear.  Maybe the fandom hysteria can finally end.  Although I'm sure they will find something else to be up in arms about at some point.

I would believe that the leak was more part of negotiations tactics than for PR purposes when the network can hardly be bothered to promote Castle in the first place.  And I doubt anyone will remember all this drama except Castle fans come next season.  But I have doubts about the real impact on negotiations from the original leak in the first place.  Would it really put pressure on the actor?  I don't think they really take into account fan reaction when making their career decisions.

Curious to know what the sticking point or points in the negotiations were/are but I guess the network won't be leaking that.

Edited by madmaverick

My eyes just rolled so far around in my head that they may never go back into place.

Doo da doo!

It's so funny that every thing is all good and just trucking along but the media and the fans are in a tizzy. 

Once again not blaming the fans, I hate the media.

So is it more media click bait or ABC PR in your opinion?

Edited by Gant

Once it's confirmed she's signed up for another season, hopefully it will allow the less stable element of the fanbase who have been close to hysteria over all this to gradually calm down and get used to the idea that S8 will probably the last time they'll see Beckett in action.

As for the leak being used to generate increased attention and publicity for the show, may be on line it's generated a big fuss but what do the general viewers know about all this? Not much I would imagine. 

Edited by verdana

You use much kinder words than I.

I figured I should try and be more considerate as others have been instead of calling them crazy or insane.

Broadcast TV Buzz: ‘The Messengers’ Facing Cancellation, ‘Castle’ & ‘The Good Wife’ Inch Closer To Renewal & More at TV Wise.

Never heard of this site but this bit is doing the rounds on tumblr today. 

Last, but by no means least, is Castle. Nathan Fillion has inked a new talent deal for season eight and there is an active search underway for a showrunner (I’m told the shortlist includes, amongst others, Rob Bowman and Dara Creasey). All the focus has been on whether or not Stana Katic will sign a new contract with ABC Studios. That’s still not entirely clear but talks between the studio and Stana’s reps are progressing and a deal is looking more likely than it did last week. So based on what I’ve been hearing Castle will be back for an eighth season with both Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic.

Bowman or Dara Creasey as showrunner? The latter seems an odd solo pick as for Bowman please God no, let him go back to the X files, I know he's been with the show from the start and he may be a good director and highly thought of by many Castle and X files fans but I don't like his style of filming or think it's particularly that suited to Castle and that's certainly not an injection of fresh blood into the writers room which is what the show sorely needs. Although may be if was showrunner he'd be far too busy to direct. 

I'm going to say No to Bowman as well.  Not just because I actually want to see what's going on on the show, but because I'd rather take a risk on someone who may bring something new and possibly better to the table than the same old stuff from someone with years on the show.  He probably does not know the daily workings of the show inside and out, but in terms of creative vision for the characters, which is what I care most about, I'm not sure his stands out from others.  Dara Creasey seems a bit untested to me, but she'd have a pair of fresher eyes than Bowman and maybe the show could come off as less old fashioned sometimes.  If they are promoting from within and in terms of having a good handle on the characters, I would go for Terence Paul Winter.  If the show Forever gets cancelled, maybe the showrunner from that show could be good too.  Someone who has only done one season of this sort of show might have more to give than someone who has done more than a few seasons.

• Love 1

I'm kinda glad to hear that, halwideman. I'm not really a fan of Dara's (unpopular opinion #1) and while I like Rob Bowman (unpopular opinion #2), I don't see him as a showrunner. I must say I am very curious to see who they select though. 

Bowman isn't a writer. It's like the press isn't even trying anymore.

Well, yeah, I figured he wasn't ever a candidate for that reason too, so when I read his name, I thought "That'd be different." lol 

For showrunner - if they're going from within I'd take Hanning or TPW (Hanning because he's had a year even though it was cancelled after that - as a showrunner in the past, and TPW was the Story Editor on Castle before handing that over to Amanda Johns this year). If they were recruiting from outside, I'd take either the Revenge showrunner or somehow entice Will Beall to return (highly unlikely that would happen).

What show was Hanning a show runner on?

I guess Courting Alex since he's listed as exec prod and creator on imdb. Hanning also has been exec prod all season long. TPW just got bumped to exec prod since the 2 parter.

Edited by turnitwayup