Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: On The Outside

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, Nashville said:

(Moved from the Live Feed thread)

Oh yeah.  Starting from late August and going on through early/mid October-ish, out in the rural areas we’ll get hordes of Northerners every weekend - first the fruit-pickers, then the leaf-lookers - and my god, are they ever tourists.  

I remember once in early September I’d been helping my grandfather hang tobacco for drying.  The process involves hanging the cut tobacco plant stalks with the leaves from multiple levels of rafters in a barn (my job) while getting smoldering fires going in rows of sawdust laid out on the barn’s dirt floor (our job).  The smoke and heat dries out the leaves and gets them ready for market - and while fire is involved, it’s totally safe.  So long as your barn floor is “clean” dirt and you don’t rake or pile up sawdust anywhere near anything else wood like the rafter supports, you can leave it unattended for a day or so at a time to do its work.  Smoky as hell, though.

My grandfather and I had just finished checking one of his drying barns and were headed back to the truck to go to the next - when all of a sudden a Volvo comes tearing it up the road, brake-slides to a stop, the driver bounces out like a rubber ball carrying a fire extinguisher, and he sprints for the barn.  My grandfather shouted “STOP HIM!!!” - and I had to lay him out with the best damn not-entirely-legal open-field tackle you ever saw, before the dumb sonofabitch ruined a substantial portion of my grandfather’s tobacco crop for the year.

Afterwards we found out they were a couple from (I think) Massachusetts who were driving back from picking apples at one of the local orchards when they saw the smoke coming out of the barn and thought it was on fire.  We all had a good chuckle about it, then dude limped back to his car and they went on their way.

So, yeah - tourists.  ;)

I love every bit of this post!  I was born on 5th Avenue in Manhattan (but the poor section). Tobacco comes in a pack of cigarettes!  I majored in cultural anthropology in school because I have forever been fascinated by how different everyone’s life experiences are.  This was so interesting and informative to me and funny too. Plus like I said on the other thread, I literally never knew people went south to see the leaves, it’s always been everyone going north to New England 

and yeah, don’t get me started on tourists lol, how many times they make me miss the train with their slow walking 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

There is a town in south Georgia name Cairo.  Yep, it's Kay-Row, like the syrup.

In TN we have a town named “Santa Fe” - pronounced Santa-FEE.  It’s not strictly a Southern thing, though.  Go up to Calais ME some time and pronounce it “Kal-AY”, like the French city for which it’s named.  Everybody in town will correct you on its proper pronunciation - “KAL-ASS”.  Immediately.

2 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

And, @Nashville I saw your comment about the Georgia education system in the other thread and to you sir I say Hey! (in a Stop that! tone) I mean, you are right and all, I just felt the obligation to react indignantly even though there is no way I could even pretend to argue and keep a straight face  (see Cairo above).

All in fun - and Southerners can make fun of each other all we want, and the Northerners are perfectly free to stay the hell out of it. :>

(Yeah, we know.  Y’all have better schools.  We get it.  You don’t have to tell us about it.  Again.)

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Nashville said:

In TN we have a town named “Santa Fe” - pronounced Santa-FEE.  It’s not strictly a Southern thing, though.  Go up to Calais ME some time and pronounce it “Kal-AY”, like the French city for which it’s named.  Everybody in town will correct you on its proper pronunciation - “KAL-ASS”.  Immediately.

All in fun - and Southerners can make fun of each other all we want, and the Northerners are perfectly free to stay the hell out of it. :>

(Yeah, we know.  Y’all have better schools.  We get it.  You don’t have to tell us about it.  Again.)

In nyc I grew up near Houston street.  Pronounced HOUSE-Ton.  Understandably, not one person from out of town will say it correctly

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I've been to Kal-Ass...the pronunciation drove me nuts!  It's also right near Machias (MA-CHI-ASS).  Of course I'm from DEE_TROYT where we have streets names Gratiot (Gra-shit) and Schoenherr (Shay-ner).  

Also for the record, this Michigander says Puh-Kahn (unless quoting When Harry Met Sally), All-mund, kitty-corner, and pop.  Soda is something we bake with.  :-)

• Love 2

North Jersey native born and raised but I spent 6 years in KY. A whole other world!! And a whole other language at times.

Cities...Versailles pronounced Ver-SAYLES. ( this one killed my French speaking heart), Yosemite pronounced

Yo-seh-MAAT, Louisville...LOW-vuhl

i taught HS and my students were always asking me to borrow an 'ink pen'. I finally had to ask why do you all say 'ink pen' ...what other kind is there? Apparently they pronounce pen and pin the same and they didn't need a safety pin.

i knew about 'bless your heart' but not 'I don't care to'. That means the exact opposite. 

For me: PEE-can, AH-mund, soda (Coke is a brand name), catty-corner, sub not hoagie, pie (pizza) and sneakers, leaf watchers, down the shore and I drink cawfee. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

and I drink cawfee

In what misbegotten heathen corner of the world is some brain-dead lunatic mispronouncing coffee, and how?

I’ve never heard anything BUT “caw-fee”.

• Love 1

Here in central TX, we have a mix of German, Czech, Mexican, Am Indian, and everyone else who came to TX.  As a result, we have some weird pronunciations of town names.

Buda:  BYOO-dah

Manor:  MAIN-er

Elgin:  pronounced with a hard g

Manchaca:  MAN-shack

Pedernales:  PURR-den-AL-es

Other TX/LA oddity:  Nacogdoches, TX and Nachitoches, LA were reportedly named after a pair of Indian brothers.

Nacogdoches:  Nac-uh-DOH-chess   Nachitoches:  NAC-uh-tish

Edited by llongori
9 hours ago, Nashville said:

In what misbegotten heathen corner of the world is some brain-dead lunatic mispronouncing coffee, and how?

I’ve never heard anything BUT “caw-fee”.

Hahaha...some brain-dead lunatics pronounce it ' cah-fee'.  Nails on a 'chawkboard'. ;)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Hahaha...some brain-dead lunatics pronounce it ' cah-fee'.  Nails on a 'chawkboard'. ;)

Outside of South Bahstun - and maybe Elwood Blues - I’ve never heard of such a thing.  They drinking decaf, or what?

6 hours ago, Nashville said:

Outside of South Bahstun - and maybe Elwood Blues - I’ve never heard of such a thing.  They drinking decaf, or what?

I do believe that our pronunciations of 'aw' and 'ah' are a tad different. In Boston they would say caa-fee, standard pronunciation in dictionary, cah-fee, here in the NJ/NY area it's caw-fee.

5 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I do believe that our pronunciations of 'aw' and 'ah' are a tad different. In Boston they would say caa-fee, standard pronunciation in dictionary, cah-fee, here in the NJ/NY area it's caw-fee.

I interpret ‘ah’ as having that Southie sinus-cavity-originating inflection, like pronouncing Harvard “HAH-vud”.  :)

ETA:  My mind translates ‘aa’ to a long A, while ‘aw’ sounds like “Aw, shucks.”  :)

Edited by Nashville
22 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I interpret ‘ah’ as having that Southie sinus-cavity-originating inflection, like pronouncing Harvard “HAH-vud”.  :)

ETA:  My mind translates ‘aa’ to a long A, while ‘aw’ sounds like “Aw, shucks.”  :)

In Boston, that aa sound is the 'a' sound in pack. So park and pack both sound like pack. Pack yuh caa in Havud yaad.  To me the 'aw' sound is like 'or' but instead of the r you say a w sound.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Wings said:

LOL  love this.  MA is filled with crazy pronunciations. 

Worchester = Wuss-ter or Wiss-ter

Wobern= Wha-bin

Leicester= Lester

Gloucester= Glosster

It drives visitors nuts. 

But wait, Woburn is "woo-burn" or "woo-b'n" depending on your accent. It's Waban that's "wha-bin," no?

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

In Boston, that aa sound is the 'a' sound in pack. So park and pack both sound like pack. Pack yuh caa in Havud yaad.  To me the 'aw' sound is like 'or' but instead of the r you say a w sound.

That makes a little more sense now - like the DownEasters.

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jesse said:

But wait, Woburn is "woo-burn" or "woo-b'n" depending on your accent. It's Waban that's "wha-bin," no?

Could be.  I lived in MA for 46 years and never kept those 2 towns straight.  Lol

• Love 1

Totally aside from anything else on the planet:

This popped up in my work email’s Junk folder today.  Swear to God, you can’t make up this shit:

E14E8842-6440-4003-8AC5-9038EF84B31B.jpeg.c676cea3776399d4e303f67489980a07.jpeg

FYI - it’s a junk mailer for Samsung Gear smart watches.

Please explain to me, though, why the first thing to cross my mind upon reading this was “JC...?” - because it’s bothering the hell outta me....  ;>

• Love 3

The CBS message bot asked me if I wanted to watch an early drop of God Friended Me. I think I hurt her feelings... 

Screenshot_20180913-154150.jpg

Edited by IndyMischa
Yikes! Sorry the pic is so big! Anyone smarter than me who can tell me how to shrink a phone screencap before posting, please inbox me!
  • Love 8

I am absolutely glued to hurricane coverage right now.  I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and hurricanes are a subject of endless fascination for me.  I watch a lot of House Hunter type shows and when they are shopping for a beach house I feel like screaming at them, "But what about hurricanes?????"  I guess now we'll see.  I half-way expect a crossover show between HGTV and The Weather Channel with Jim Cantori interviewing  someone who recently, on TV, bought a house on the outer banks.

But hurricane coverage better not interfere with the BB DE show tonight!

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

I am absolutely glued to hurricane coverage right now.  I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and hurricanes are a subject of endless fascination for me.  I watch a lot of House Hunter type shows and when they are shopping for a beach house I feel like screaming at them, "But what about hurricanes?????"  I guess now we'll see.  I half-way expect a crossover show between HGTV and The Weather Channel with Jim Cantori interviewing  someone who recently, on TV, bought a house on the outer banks.

But hurricane coverage better not interfere with the BB DE show tonight!

Hurricane junkie here too.  Which part of the Gulf Coast?  I’ve thought often of retiring to the Seaside/Grayton Beach area, but the prospect of getting my house washed out to sea usually has an -ah- dampening affect on such ambitions.  ;)

Speaking If which - here’s a link for you.  Ignore the hurricane imagery, if you can - but reading the comments is a moral imperative.  >:)

https://www.facebook.com/276028802497512/photos/a.276030142497378/1619787048121674/?type=3&permPage=1

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 4

Well, I you can tell where my mind's at. That hurricane imagery looked slightly (???) smutty!  If you look slightly to the right of the (ahem) tip, at the #51 - Greenville,  I have family right there. And the latest "like" on the FB side was from my cousin Kimmy who lives in Atlanta. Small world!

I live in south Sarasota county, which is between Tampa and Port Charlotte/Ft. Myers.

ETA: OMG - LOL  I just started to read the comments - too funny! At least I'm not the only 12 yr old in the bunch!

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Initially I wondered if it would penetrate far enough to reach the ‘G’ in ‘Virginia’.

But then I figured, “Nahhh - it doesn’t even know where that is.  It’ll never find it.”  ;>

Ohhhh good one!  The best.

• Love 1

I've looked at the video several times. Seidel is braced, with his back against the wind, trying to hold his place. The guys in the background are walking easily because they're being pushed forward by the wind.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 1

Would any Big Brother fan see these two stickers and not put them together? I mean... 

xdLuaENm.jpg

Although it's been less "expect the unexpected" and more "expect Foutté to shoot themselves in the foot. Again. For the fifth week in a row" this season. 

• Love 1
On 8/27/2018 at 9:05 PM, Maggie Mae said:

North Jersey native born and raised but I spent 6 years in KY. A whole other world!! And a whole other language at times.

Cities...Versailles pronounced Ver-SAYLES. ( this one killed my French speaking heart), Yosemite pronounced

Yo-seh-MAAT, Louisville...LOW-vuhl 

Born and raised in Kentucky and while you're absolutely correct about Versailles being pronounced Ver-SAYLES, I have no idea where you came up with Yosemite being pronounced Yo-seh-MAAT.  WTF?  We pronounce it Yo-SIM-atee just like it's supposed to be pronounced.  I think some of your students were pulling your leg.  And Louisville has never ever in a million years been pronounced LOW-vuhl.  The correct pronunciation is Lool-vul.  I promise you.

I hope your French-speaking heart has recovered.

• Love 2

I'm on vacation this week, sans a single responsibility in the world. And have chosen to spend my "day drinking by the pool" time, nostalgia-reading the live feed thread. Just in case I accidentally slip up and like some of your hilarious posts several months later, I figured I should confess in advance! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, madisonjhon said:

Big Brother is the most controversial and watched reality TV show! I want to participate! I have seen something related to submitting application but not sure whether I should trust or not! I have seen requirements for participating in Big Brother Canada https://auditionsdekho.com/big-brother-auditions-casting-process-requirements/! Is this true information? 

Looking at the link, most of the write up is general BB descriptive blurb - but this line in particular gives me pause:

Auditions Dekho, which is the best website to search auditions, will reveal the casting process and requirements to participate in Big Brother.

Purely my own personal opinion, but this sounds like this site isn’t actually conducting auditions; rather, they will tell you (or purport to tell you) auditioning tips and “secrets” which - should you manage to wrangle an actual audition - will maximize your chances of being selected.

Supposedly.

For a price.

:(

Lotta shill sites out there.

If you’re serious, you might take a look at this site instead....

On 1/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, IndyMischa said:

@Nashville re your Mooch poll - not to be pedantic, but... :D They enter the house today ish, right? So ten days still wouldn't be lasting until February.

(This post brought to you by me being too dumb to figure out how to comment on / reply to a poll post???) 

I assume the contestants were already sequestered before the cast list was formally released, but I/we have no clue when they’re going to actually enter the House; the only solid dates we have go by are the broadcast dates.  

First episode airs Jan. 21, ten days after that is Jan. 31 - so if Scaramucci is still in the House come February 1, his air time on the BB set will have exceeded his air time behind the Press Secretary’s podium.  :)

ETA P.S.: That’s also why the poll closes immediately prior to the start of the first episode.  ;>

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1

Pop Quiz!  

You're so pleasantly surprised to find a favorite episode of an old show airing in an unexpected location while you were mindlessly scrolling through the channel guide that you bust out a "HELLO!" that surprises your napping cat.  Do you feel compelled to complete the outburst with…

a) "…darkness, my old friend…"

b) "…from the other side!"

c) "My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die."

d)  other

e)  I don't do that, you loser.  Get a life.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Pop Quiz!  

You're so pleasantly surprised to find a favorite episode of an old show airing in an unexpected location while you were mindlessly scrolling through the channel guide that you bust out a "HELLO!" that surprises your napping cat.  Do you feel compelled to complete the outburst with…

a) "…darkness, my old friend…"

b) "…from the other side!"

c) "My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die."

d)  other

e)  I don't do that, you loser.  Get a life.

Some combo of a, b, and d. I have no life, so e is definitely not an option. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Aww, Lionel!  I hadn't thought of that as a possibility!

(And how are you still getting face emojis on this board?  My "smileys and people" category is tragically devoid of actual smileys.  :(   As that <---- failure just proved.)

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1

I can answer this with 100% honesty, as something very near happened just day before yesterday...

d) other

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me.

Is there anyone at home?

(this was in the text chat window of a video conference call for work, btw....)  😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Another contender!  Still waiting to hear from The Doors and The Big Bopper and who knows who else.  (And there must be other movie lines, as well.  Not to mention Jerry and Newman on Seinfeld.)

Almost complete OT:  As a New York Mets fan, I get to see three visits a season to [Named for Yet Another Bank] Ballpark, the home of the Atlanta Braves.  And apparently the Atlanta organist is so bored, he does walk-up music for the visiting ballplayers as they come up to bat, which is of course complete against the whole idea, get the fans charged up to cheer their team, etc.  And since the organist can hardly solicit input from the visiting players, his song selections are just puns on the players' names.  (A sort of Chris Berman of the keyboards, if you will.)

Thus, when the Mets visit, Michael Conforto gets serenaded with an organ version of "Comfortably Numb" (the song above^).  Which, okay, semi-decent pun and you don't exactly hear Pink Floyd on the organ all the time.  But for some reason, Tomás Nido gets David Bowie's "Space Oddity", and even if that does have the repeated "Ground Control to Major Tom" lyric, surely Boz Scaggs's "Lido Shuffle" is sitting right there, right?  I mean, dude, honestly.

(Research reveals that Conforto's actual preferred music [played at Mets home games] is Young Thug's "The London" [feat. J. Cole and Travis Scott].  Huh.  Nido takes his cuts to the accompaniment of Bad Bunny's "Desde el Corazon".    Teammate Jeff McNeil has been leading the National League in hitting, and he goes for Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages",  while slugger Pete Alonso opts for Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean", so at least the classics get some respect in the Big Apple from Kids Today, thankfully.)

My walk-up song would have to be "Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, I'd think.  I mean, if you can't intimidate a pitcher with "I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE!", what can you do?  (Or is that overkill?  Hmm.)  [/massive OT, even for an OT thread]

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

My walk-up song would have to be "Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, I'd think.  I mean, if you can't intimidate a pitcher with "I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE!", what can you do?  (Or is that overkill?  Hmm.)  [/massive OT, even for an OT thread]

KISS’s God of Thunder - especially if you can borrow Gene Simmons’ boots for the walk out to the plate.  😄