Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
BabyVegas

Hair Color

My daughter wants to try coloring just the ends of her hair - medium brown with probably a pretty intense color (she was thinking maybe pink).  I was actually caught off guard by her bringing it up. 

I think it may be called dip-dying, but not sure on that. 

Anyone got any tips for me?  Are there temporary colors that wash out/fade after a bit?  If so, how long?  Would be most interested in a brand that is not overly complicated and does not damage the hair (or the least possible).  Also, she's going to try this over Christmas break when we are visiting my Mom - the house has a septic system, so is it safe for that?

Any info would be appreciated, recommendations, links to "Dying for Dummies", etc...

• Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 1:42 PM, DeLurker said:

Anyone got any tips for me?  Are there temporary colors that wash out/fade after a bit?  If so, how long?  Would be most interested in a brand that is not overly complicated and does not damage the hair (or the least possible).  Also, she's going to try this over Christmas break when we are visiting my Mom - the house has a septic system, so is it safe for that?

There's this dying conditioner stuff called "Overtone" that's gentle and temporary (ish... if you stop using it it will fade out). Dark hair won't pick up the color as well so if she wants a vibrant pink she's going to have to bleach the ends first. (You're right about it being called dip dying btw). Even if you don't go with overtone most of the vibrant "crazy" colors like blue/pink/green dyes are only semiperminant so they will fade eventually. It's fine for septic, I've dyed my hair for a million years myself and have a septic system and have never had problems or even thought about it! Manic Panic is another good brand. As an example, currently my hair is dyed black with some bleached streaks, and then I do a full dark blue over everything so the bleached parts are BLUE and the rest just has a blue wash, it fades out after about 5 washes to the point where you can see the bleached parts but since I only shampoo my hair once a week that ends up being time to dye it again anyway. Overtone keeps it from fading, because it deposits the dye every time you condition. 

That all being said, for a first time I'd get bleach but not use it on the first round. Do a round of just the dye, if it doesn't show up you can always bleach later but if you bleach first you're stuck. The bleach part will not fade ever so, either you keep dying it or just cut it off. You don't have to bleach it to white or anything, just enough to lighten the ends so the color shows better. Bleaching it will also absorb more of the color so it will fade less quickly.  But having the bleach on hand will make it less disappointing if the first round doesn't take.

• Like 1

The good thing about young hair and scalps is they can handle that dye abuse and bounce back so much easier than when you're out of your teens. I've used Manic Panic, la riche which is thicker and more snot like less drippy, and Jerome Russel for crazy colors. Artic fox is great when it comes to truly bright shades that aren't as easy to find and is vegan and less damaging/chemical-y. 

On 12/14/2017 at 1:42 PM, DeLurker said:

Would be most interested in a brand that is not overly complicated and does not damage the hair (or the least possible). 

I use "regular" (as in blonde) box color -- so no help there -- but I would recommend her getting Olaplex to repair her hair if she's going to use bleach.  (It completely transformed my hair, which was  porous and fragile - like wet seaweed - from years of colouring and blow drying and curling irons,  etc. After the first treatment,  the texture /thickness went back to what I had twenty + years ago -  I've used tons of products, but that stuff delivers. And if your daughter has virgin hair, she should protect it from jump.)

eta: I realize this sounds like some kind of paid endorsement  -- like I get a kickback or free product from Olaplex (I wish -- it's not cheap;) but it's not, I just loved what it did for my hair.

Edited by film noire

Thanks for all the feedback - very helpful!  And brand recommendations because I seriously know nothing.

She's talked with her 18 yo cousin who lives on the same street as my Mom so they've decided to do it together.  His hair is long - think Bob Seger mid 1970s hair. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2017 at 8:09 PM, film noire said:

I use "regular" (as in blonde) box color -- so no help there -- but I would recommend her getting Olaplex to repair her hair if she's going to use bleach.  (It completely transformed my hair, which was  porous and fragile - like wet seaweed - from years of colouring and blow drying and curling irons,  etc. After the first treatment,  the texture /thickness went back to what I had twenty + years ago -  I've used tons of products, but that stuff delivers. And if your daughter has virgin hair, she should protect it from jump.)

eta: I realize this sounds like some kind of paid endorsement  -- like I get a kickback or free product from Olaplex (I wish -- it's not cheap;) but it's not, I just loved what it did for my hair.

Olaplex......the treatment, repair kit, shampoo?  I saw a lot of types on Amazon.

52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Olaplex......the treatment, repair kit, shampoo?  I saw a lot of types on Amazon.

I use Number One: Bond multiplier and Number Two: Bond perfector.

Edited by film noire
  • Like 1

I tried doing my hair color once and I have to say it's the worst decision ever. It didn't turn out the way I like so I would rather just hand it over to the experts. 

If you are getting a more complicated hair color style, let's say highlights or ombre, then better pay a professional to do it if you want it to look the way it should be.