Type keyword(s) to search

Hair Color

• Start Topic

The good thing about young hair and scalps is they can handle that dye abuse and bounce back so much easier than when you're out of your teens. I've used Manic Panic, la riche which is thicker and more snot like less drippy, and Jerome Russel for crazy colors. Artic fox is great when it comes to truly bright shades that aren't as easy to find and is vegan and less damaging/chemical-y. 

On 12/14/2017 at 1:42 PM, DeLurker said:

Would be most interested in a brand that is not overly complicated and does not damage the hair (or the least possible). 

I use "regular" (as in blonde) box color -- so no help there -- but I would recommend her getting Olaplex to repair her hair if she's going to use bleach.  (It completely transformed my hair, which was  porous and fragile - like wet seaweed - from years of colouring and blow drying and curling irons,  etc. After the first treatment,  the texture /thickness went back to what I had twenty + years ago -  I've used tons of products, but that stuff delivers. And if your daughter has virgin hair, she should protect it from jump.)

eta: I realize this sounds like some kind of paid endorsement  -- like I get a kickback or free product from Olaplex (I wish -- it's not cheap;) but it's not, I just loved what it did for my hair.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

Thanks for all the feedback - very helpful!  And brand recommendations because I seriously know nothing.

She's talked with her 18 yo cousin who lives on the same street as my Mom so they've decided to do it together.  His hair is long - think Bob Seger mid 1970s hair. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/17/2017 at 8:09 PM, film noire said:

I use "regular" (as in blonde) box color -- so no help there -- but I would recommend her getting Olaplex to repair her hair if she's going to use bleach.  (It completely transformed my hair, which was  porous and fragile - like wet seaweed - from years of colouring and blow drying and curling irons,  etc. After the first treatment,  the texture /thickness went back to what I had twenty + years ago -  I've used tons of products, but that stuff delivers. And if your daughter has virgin hair, she should protect it from jump.)

eta: I realize this sounds like some kind of paid endorsement  -- like I get a kickback or free product from Olaplex (I wish -- it's not cheap;) but it's not, I just loved what it did for my hair.

Olaplex......the treatment, repair kit, shampoo?  I saw a lot of types on Amazon.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Olaplex......the treatment, repair kit, shampoo?  I saw a lot of types on Amazon.

I use Number One: Bond multiplier and Number Two: Bond perfector.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

I tried doing my hair color once and I have to say it's the worst decision ever. It didn't turn out the way I like so I would rather just hand it over to the experts. 

If you are getting a more complicated hair color style, let's say highlights or ombre, then better pay a professional to do it if you want it to look the way it should be.

(edited)

I'm doing my own color and cut through covid and it's actually awesome!  I couldn't be any happier.  Hope it continues. Granted, I do have years of experience, though, I'm no professional. lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I normally have my hair cut and coloured every 4 weeks.  I missed 3 appointments during Stay at Home.   As my bangs got longer, I had to pull my hair back with a hairband and stray silver hairs started becoming visible at the crown. After about 8 weeks, I used Clairol Root Touch Up. When I saw my hairdresser at week 13, I said "What do you think of my colour?"  She said "Wow, that's held up really well."  If she can't tell the difference, why am I paying for professional colour rather than $7.95 at Walmart?

• Love 2

Now I dye my hair only in professional salons, tested. I had a negative experience, I wanted to change my image and paint myself blonde, but my hair was just burned. It became red and dry as straw. I went through a whole recovery course, injected vitamins and in just one year my hair regained its former appearance.
Now - only natural shades and only for professionals!!!

I've colored my hair since the early 1990's, and it's been interesting.    The only time I had a pro do it was at the beginning, but it was too expensive for my budget then.     Even though that state required 200 hours more practical experience than any where else I've lived,, there were a lot of bad hairdressers.    So a nice lady at work who had been dying her hair for years gave me a lot of tips (#1 have touch up paint).     I started with Nice N Easy, but then it was smelly, and harsh, but where I lived the only other choice was L'Oreal, and that was pricey.    I found Colorsilk (for a few years it was called Colorstay), and I love it.   No ammonia, so no stench, not hard on my hair, and it washes out of towels, or clothing, however, it will stain paint, so I use a metal hair strainer in the kitchen drain, and some poster board propped against the kitchen wall, and window to prevent splashes.     

I also use an oversized squeeze bottle to mix and apply it, the 8 oz size works well for one kit, or two.    The most important thing is exact timing, I have a little electric digital timer, and set it before putting the root color on (25 minutes, because of resistant grays, and apply it all around the hairline).     Then five minutes on the rest of my hair, and rinse out thoroughly.   I also have a spare set of pillow cases, so I put those on the bed pillows for a night or two, in case I miss a little dye.     Plus, right after coloring, I rinse thoroughly, use shampoo all around the edge of my hair, and then use a thick jar hair conditioner (usually a masque, or weekly treatment), so my hair is soft.    

I have totally flat dark brown hair naturally, and the rest is gray/white, and if I don't color it looks like Pepe Le Pew, the skunk from the cartoons.   SO I use a light golden brown, about once a month or so, and it comes out med/dark brown with highlights from the gray.   

So it wouldn't work with a double process, or lightening a bunch of shade, and that is best left to a pro.   Anything, like Ombre, or changing the color dramatically should be left to the pros.   

I got a haircut with another stylist the other day, and she claimed she didn't know my hair was dyed, but that was probably just trying to flatter me, so I would ask for her next time.     

It's hard to find a hair color that doesn't have ammonia, and they do change formulas from time to time.  

I am an old person who has used box color for years. Then my hair started coming in white at the roots. Went to colorist who took out all the box color and dyed it all the color coming out of my head. He said the colored part would be a little yellow for while. I’ve been using silver Clenditioner and today am going to use platinum clenditioner. I love what is growing naturally. But looking for a rinse that is easy and leaves hair feeling good. Roux mousse leaves hair like cardboard.