Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

I enjoy this show, too, even though I don't usually watch cooking shows. I like to see regular people making incredibly complicated cakes. Things I've never heard of, like that Swedish Princess Cake. Maybe I'm just lazy. (Maybe? Ha!)

I like Paul, just for the pretty.

• Love 1

In Houston it's playing in the middle of the night on the main channel and during primetime but a week "late" on the other.   I think it is not doing so well even by PBS standards, which is sad, because it is brilliant.   

• Love 2

It's doing pretty well in San Francisco it seems. The first airing is Sunday night at 8:00, it repeats in the early a.m. hours of Monday morning and is shown once, if not twice more, mid-afternoon during the week. (Downton, by way of comparison, is only repeated early Monday morning.) Fingers crossed PBS pays to show earlier seasons -- it would be great to have it during the summer TV doldrums -- because I still can't believe it's five seasons/series in and we're only getting it now.

• Love 3
I think it is not doing so well even by PBS standards, which is sad, because it is brilliant.

Well, take heart, because it's doing really well in the ratings. According to this article http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/the-great-british-baking-show-on-pbs-food-network-take-note/2015/01/30/71fad328-a57f-11e4-a7c2-03d37af98440_story.html in the Washington Post, GBBO is averaging 2.5 million prime time viewers in the US well above PBS's normal average of 1 million. PBS is so happy with it they're guaranteeing they'll air the next season.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 7

Well, take heart, because it's doing really well in the ratings. According to this article http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/the-great-british-baking-show-on-pbs-food-network-take-note/2015/01/30/71fad328-a57f-11e4-a7c2-03d37af98440_story.html in the Washington Post, GBBO is averaging 2.5 million prime time viewers in the US well above PBS's normal average of 1 million. PBS is so happy with it they're guaranteeing they'll air the next season.

Oh good, I hope this means they'll pick up some other shows like The Big Allotment Challenge & the Sewing show.

• Love 4

Make that "One of the THREE people who don't watch Downton Abbey..."  :- D

Make that FOUR. I'm tuned into Worst Cooks in America at 8:00 pm central on Sundays or whatever else is on at 8:00 pm on Food Network. (TGBBO airs in Minneapolis area at 7:00 pm central on Sundays.)

• Love 1

In Las Vegas this show is all over the place.  The first 4 episodes were shown on Monday night at 9, then it was on on Sunday before Downton Abbey, and now they are airing it at 2 am on Tuesday.  I just watch on my computer now, but it is beyond frustrating!

I liked their Facebook page. They're promoting their Comic Relief competition, so I've been getting a lot of adorable pictures in my feed (Mary can rock a clown nose, almost as well as Sue). Today's update (warning: puns ahead): LET'S GET BREADY TO CRUMBLE!

I may have to unlike the page, as I want to see this NOW and I know I might not get to for a long time, if ever.  

• Love 2

In San Diego, it is playing at 8 pm on Sunday nights between two episodes of Downton Abbey.  Because I apparently am the only person who doesn't watch Downton Abbey, I tend to watch online because I forget to look for it on Sunday evenings.  I'm assuming they gave it this spot in order to help its ratings, but they don't seem to show it a second time as they do many of their shows. 

Make that "One of the THREE people who don't watch Downton Abbey..."  :- D

I am feeling better.  :)  Not that there is anything wrong with Downton Abbey. I just have more interest in the baking show. 

Make that FOUR. I'm tuned into Worst Cooks in America at 8:00 pm central on Sundays or whatever else is on at 8:00 pm on Food Network. (TGBBO airs in Minneapolis area at 7:00 pm central on Sundays.)

Fellow San Diegan here, and I now have 9 episodes of Downton Abby on my DVR that will probably never get watched - I've officially given up on this show.  I'm sure they'll be erased the moment I find another 50+ hour marathon to record of something I've watched (many times) before.  :-)

I am just now watching the episode Patisserie, and am enjoying the various pronunciations of "baklava".

And I want an outdoor tent kitchen in a lovely meadow.

(edited)

I'm beyond tired of the hosts, especially the brunette, who tries way too hard. One of the things I really liked about the American version of this show was Jeff Foxworthy, whose gentle and self-deprecating humor never intruded on the main point of the show - the baking.

I have yet to hear her say something funny.

My WTTW station (Chicago) pulled some shady shit regarding the finally. I turn on the show at 7pm cst and the show was on the second challenge. So I missed over 1/3rd of it. They started the show early.

Then after watching a few minutes the cut to two people begging for money. I was like ok, they need to run the station, but then one of he beggars was asking the other bigger who I guess had a baking show some questions that were stretching out the donation begging time and CLICK off went my T V. I was really fed up with that bullshit.

Edited by jellywager

I contacted my local PBS station about the show, & they said it might be on in September, but the schedule isn't firm yet. Since each local station determines their own scheduling, your local station may be different.

• Love 4

Since the show begins airing next week on BBC One in the UK, I will remind American/PBS viewers to please not read the new episode threads since there will be spoilers. If you do want to be spoiled, please do read and discuss with the BBC viewers.

When there is more news from PBS about when the new season will air the US, I will pin the appropriate episode threads as I did last season.

Thank you!

• Love 5

So the new season starts in August in England, I wonder if PBS will do the double with Downton again for early 2016.

Last season my station ended up running most of the episodes on Sunday afternoons, as part of a lengthy schedule of cooking-related programming. They paired Downtown with old showcases of lovely estates. It made sense thematically to run GBBO in the afternoons, but they would run the episodes a week later than other PBS stations.

• Love 1

I'm glad to hear PBS is digging into the archives and airing a previous season. There were some excellent bakers in season 4 and previous seasons. Can this mean season 5 did well enough that PBS would go back further and air all the previous seasons? Dare I hope PBS airs season 4, September and season 6 January?

• Love 4

Hello everyone. We know some non-UK viewers are watching and discussing the show. You are a free to discuss the new episodes, but unless it's through an official way, please do not mention how. We don't allow specific instructions for watching shows Through Methods or Flying To England. Google it if you are interested. Thank you!

• Love 3

WHOO HOO! They're showing this season on PBS starting on 9/6, at least on my PBS station. I can't wait :-)

For clarification, PBS will be showing season 4 from 2013 in September. Sources: PBS Website and WETA. I'll make the episode threads for S4 and pin them accordingly. S6 is still airing in the UK as well. PBS will probably air S6 in the winter with Downton Abbey.

• Love 1

Oh, you're right, it looks like it's really season 2. My Comcast guide said season 6, then it took the description away. Oh well, I never saw season 2, so I'm ok with it.

• Love 2

They are calling is Season 2 of the Great British Baking Show, but it's actually Season 4 of GBBO. It's confusing, but oh well. Even those of us who have seen it will probably will rewatch it. :)

• Love 1

I am delighted to see this lovely show pop up on my DVR this evening.  My guide says it's "New", but I care not.  Thirteen contestants, episode : "Cakes".

They are doing something called "sandwich cakes" for the first signature bake.  Then Angel Food cake for the technical challenge. 

I shouldn't be so excited about a big tent in a gorgeous meadow,  but I am!!!

• Love 3

Fucking CPTV! My DVR picked GBBO at 5 am yesterday and when I sat down to watch it last night it turned out to be Antiques Road Show. I cannot adequately express my contempt for CPTV who pull scheduling shit all the fucking time.

• Love 2

I have a general comment I don't think I can put anywhere else (in the US; 'fraid of spoilers). My love of this show knows no bounds, but as I was watching a different reality competition show last night, I was reminded of a nice touch from GBBO. They let contestants sit at times other shows have them stand. When the judges move around to taste different bakes, GBBO bakers can sit. I can't remember if they kept that for the American version, but there's something kind and respectful about having stools there. You hear about how grueling the taping of these shows can be and I appreciate seeing one that tries to make it less grueling instead of more for competitors.  

• Love 4

"Mary Berry to film US version of Great British Bake Off" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/great-british-bake-off/11865524/Mary-Berry-to-film-US-version-of-Great-British-Bake-Off.html

According to reports, the 80-year-old is in talks with US network ABC about filming a series of the show, which has been a surprise hit Stateside, starring American contestants. The series will be filmed in Britain, however.

In 2013, Paul Hollywood's American venture, The American Baking Competition, was axed by CBS after just one series due to disappointing ratings and the celebrity baker's affair with co-presenter Marcela Valladolid, which the 49-year-old described as "the biggest mistake of my life".

"Bosses at ABC believe Mary is the secret ingredient that the first US version of the show was missing," the source said. "They're about to start over here and there has even been talk about using the same marquee for filming. It doesn't look like Paul [Hollywood] is involved this time."

Yay: Mary, UK location, the tent. Boo: ABC rather than PBS.

From the media thread:

There was a little blurb in the New York Times this morning that Netflix is streaming early seasons of TGBBO. I checked and right now it looks like just Season 1.

Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/arts/television/whats-on-tv-thursday.html

What’s Streaming Now

THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW

What it lacks in vitriolic chefs and former strippers dolled up in ballerina skirts and towering Louboutins, this cult hit makes up for in earnestness and charm. Contestants in street clothes with homey back stories sweat over their mixers in a tent plopped down at Welford Park in Berkshire, where bleating lambs frolic among the snowdrops. But the confections themselves—a cardamom-scented Swiss roll crowned by chocolate-lace flowers; a Hansel-and-Gretel scene of brandy snaps and gingerbread; miniature tiered Victoria sponges ruffled with lemon curd and raspberry cream—are the real stars of this Bafta-winning series, lorded over by Mary Berry, the author of more than 70 cookbooks, and the baker Paul Hollywood.

http://www.netflix.com/title/80063224

Whoops! What it turns out Netflix is streaming is the "first season" of the PBS version of the show, the one shown in the spring, not the first season of the British show as I had assumed.

I guess that's OK for anyone who missed last spring's series, or wants to re-watch it.

• Love 1

What a refreshing, satisfying hour of TV this show is. It is my happy escape from the sadness and violence of the week's news. I got hooked while watching last year's season (whatever season that was on PBS), and I love each contestant. My faith in humanity is restored in watching these lovely people support and bond with each other all while trying to win the prize. And it is a relief to my ears to not constantly hear the dreaded conversational crutches of "like" and "you know" every other word. I am so interested in the baked items that I am not familiar with such as suet pudding. I would happily eat anything these fine bakers put in front of me. And the thought that Mary may be a judge on the American version makes me giddy. Thank you PBS for bringing this to us!!!

• Love 3

Whoops! What it turns out Netflix is streaming is the "first season" of the PBS version of the show, the one shown in the spring, not the first season of the British show as I had assumed.

I guess that's OK for anyone who missed last spring's series, or wants to re-watch it.

I'm confused - which (British) series number is the one we can stream on (US) Netflix right now? I think they're calling it season 1 on Netflix and season 2 is what's currently airing on PBS. I've seen in the threads here that what's airing on PBS now is actually series 4 of the British show. So does that mean the one on Netflix is series 3 of the British show?

So they're going backwards in the US?! I started with the one on Netflix so I'm seeing S5 first before moving on to S4 ... seems a bit weird!

I noticed there are no S5 threads in this forum ... seems to be just 4 and 6? Too bad because I like to read along with what other people thought as I watch the episodes. 

• Love 1

So they're going backwards in the US?! I started with the one on Netflix so I'm seeing S5 first before moving on to S4 ... seems a bit weird!

I noticed there are no S5 threads in this forum ... seems to be just 4 and 6? Too bad because I like to read along with what other people thought as I watch the episodes. 

Here are S5 threads under 'Past Seasons' section. http://forums.previously.tv/forum/1968-s05/

• Love 3

S5 is the first season aired by PBS. As is usual with British shows aired on PBS (like Sherlock and Downton Abbey), there is a delay of a few months between when it originally airs on the UK and when it is shown in the US.

S5 originally aired in the UK August-October 2014. PBS then aired it in the spring of 2015. S6 just finished airing in the UK a few weeks ago and I'm assuming that PBS plans on airing it in 2016. Since S5 did so well in the ratings on PBS but they had a big hole in their schedule before they could air S6, I guess they decided to air S4 in between. That means that when S6 airs on PBS next year, that will be S3 for the US. It will be interesting to see if they decide to air another previous season next fall.

But the short answer is yes, they are showing the seasons out of order!

• Love 1

Thanks for the explanation! I'm very familiar with the delay between UK series air dates and when they later show up on PBS, but the airing of UK S4 *after* S5 in the US was throwing me! I understand it now, though.

Wonder if there's any chance that Netflix or PBS will ever show MasterChef UK in the US? That's another Brit cooking show that I love (when I've had a chance to see it) because of the similar lack of drama/fighting compared to US cooking competitions. They seem to just focus on the actual cooking and they cook at a high level of skill, with no sob stories and very little emphasis on "personalities."  I would be ecstatic if all seasons of MasterChef UK suddenly showed up on Netflix. 

• Love 2