Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Baking Show On PBS

• Start Topic

Welcome new viewers to the Great British Bake Off forum! The show is being called The Great British Baking Show by PBS and will begin airing December 28, 2014 8-9pm (check your local listings). I will pin the previously made episode topic every week. Do not read ahead of the most recent PBS airing of the show if you don't want spoilers about who becomes Star Baker or gets eliminated.

Feel free to ask me or  others questions about the forum and the show here or in All Episodes Talk. Thank you!

• Love 3

I just saw the ad for this show, but my local PBS station says it starts on January 4th.  Is it possible that the debut has been moved, or is my local station running behind?

My station in New York has it starting tonight.

I wonder if this is a repeat of the most recent UK season, or if they are starting with an earlier one?

Welcome new viewers to the Great British Bake Off forum! The show is being called The Great British Baking Show by PBS and will begin airing December 28, 2014 8-9pm (check your local listings). I will pin the previously made episode topic every week. Do not read ahead of the most recent PBS airing of the show if you don't want spoilers about who becomes Star Baker or gets eliminated.

Feel free to ask me or  others questions about the forum and the show here or in All Episodes Talk. Thank you!

I'm always immensely puzzled by senseless Transatlantic name changes like this (and it happens in both directions--I know they seem to rename some of our shows that air there for no seeming reason as well).  

It's not like the term "Bake Off" is a strange or foreign term to American ears, or sounds especially dirty (unless some prude thinks it sounds too much like "Jerk-Off".  And to make things stranger, the hosts and judges say the phrase "Bake Off" constantly during the show. So are they going to edit all that out, for Pete's sake?

• Love 1

I've never seen, but they say it is the anti-Gordon Ramsey in that it is a more cheerful, positive show. I am definitely looking forward to that!  I am thoroughly tired of shows where the hosts/mentors/judges/chefs spend a portion of time screaming.  I wasn't terribly impressed by the U.S. version of the show, but I'll definitely give this one a chance.

It is infinately better then any of he US versions.   Wonderful show that I have been pining for. (since it was much easier to find the episodes for season 1-4 when they were airing.   This one I never did find until recently - it's on you tube in a terrible format, but watchable) 

I'm always immensely puzzled by senseless Transatlantic name changes like this (and it happens in both directions--I know they seem to rename some of our shows that air there for no seeming reason as well).  

It's not like the term "Bake Off" is a strange or foreign term to American ears, or sounds especially dirty (unless some prude thinks it sounds too much like "Jerk-Off".  And to make things stranger, the hosts and judges say the phrase "Bake Off" constantly during the show. So are they going to edit all that out, for Pete's sake?

When the American version aired as "the Great American Baking Competition", someone on TWoP (may it rest in peace) made the same comment.  Apparently, Pillsbury copyrighted the term "Bake Off" for its competition's name.  Hence, the show name change.

• Love 2

I'm so happy this is on PBS! I loved The Great American Baking Competition, & was so sad it was only one season. I just happened to be looking at the on screen guide last night at about 1:55AM, & saw that it started at 2:00AM, so I recorded it. What a strange time for the first episode to be on. I'm going to watch it later.

I just saw the ad for this show, but my local PBS station says it starts on January 4th.  Is it possible that the debut has been moved, or is my local station running behind?

That's when my station has the second episode. Like I said above, the first episode was on at 2:00 in the morning for some reason. I went to my local PBS' website & got the schedule from there, & it looks like all the other episodes will be on at 8:00PM.

I'll have to go to my local PBS website and see what I can find out.  I've got to go anyway since they've been off the air for several hours now and I know from past experience they won't realize it if I don't tell them.  Just the joys of watching over the air TV.

• Love 1

Grr Pillsbury! *shakes fist*

On one hand I understand the overall move, because they established a public event that they didn't want other people to ride coat tails on.  See the way the phrase "Comic Con" was appropriated and how it's diluted the "brand" of the original.  Then again, like "Comic Con", the phrase "Bake Off" seems inherently generic,so there's the sense of grasping in trying to hold onto it at the same time.

Also, there's the fact that PBS is public television--in other words not for someone's profit/for the public good, theoretically. We don't know if PBS ever approached Pillsbury and asked if they could use the phrase on American TV, but if they didn't and just assumed they couldn't, then Pillsbury is unfairly getting a black eye imagewise every time someone asks the question about why the show had to be renamed and assuming Pillsbury just wouldn't allow it.  Unless of course that's exactly what did happen (or worse yet they asked for money to use it).  

The worst part is that I'm sure anyone who saw the original episodes, or even those who haven't who are sharp about hearing and seeing edit points or dubs, will notice TONS of them.  My memory of the episodes I've seen is that not only the hosts but the contestants and judges say the phrase "bake off" constantly. Meaning edits and dubs to rub that out will be viscous and intrusive--or at the worst leading to all kinds of interview segments being flat out eliminated and at best, being cut to shreds or dubbed (hard for the contestants--who they wouldn't call back for that--easy for the host segments, who they would).

• Love 1

My Connecticut friends don't get it on their local PBS station until January 4th. So I guess it's a staggered start but you can just keep watching the eppys online.

• Love 1

Does anyone know have ratings information for the first episode? I am hoping this series will do well enough for PBS to consider airing the previous four seasons. And my greatest hope is the show pulls in enough viewership that someone would consider trying again with an American version.

• Love 1

Several PBS stations seemed to have flubbed the premiere a bit.  I got a flier in the mail after the last pledge and it was supposed to start the same night as Downton did.  But it started two weeks before with a skipped week.  Which is odd.  My sister's PBS in Vermont simply started with the second episode.  They scheduled the first one a week prior but never aired it.  Showing a holiday show instead. But did a 're-air' sometime during Sunday early in the wee hours I guess.  It seems odd to have no commercials.  Paul looks pregnant.  Mary looks frail.  Compared to when I saw them last.

I wonder if the weird scheduling had to do with some of the special programming around the Downton Abbey premiere on some PBS stations? For instance, in NY, the first episode aired a week ago, but there was no episode this past Sunday because they ran a special about the DA house. Maybe most stations will be on the same page next week.

Season/Series 5?! Why are we in the US just getting this now? Gr.

I have questions for those who've seen previous seasons:

-- Why on earth are they baking in a tent? Even the clear plastic walls can't shield the bakers too much from the humidity and potential temperatures changes, both of which are anathema to baking. (Still, the outdoor setting leads to some nice interstitial shots.)

-- I know "reality" "TV" plays fast and loose with time, but what's the time frame for each segment? It seems like each one takes place over a weekend and not one day.

-- Do the bakers know in advance what they're going to be making? The opening Cake episode went missing from my PBS station, so I just watched it online. One baker mentioned practicing Swiss rolls, and another had her husband make a cutting implement, so I'm guessing they have the week between segments to practice and are told what generally to practice.

-- Where can I get one of their ovens where the door slides under the oven and out of the way? Because I would clean my oven a lot more if I had one of those.

It's kind of a delightful show, though. I do wish the two hosts would dial back the puns and the shoutiness, but I can live with them. And I do not mind looking at Paul H one bit.

• Love 1

Season/Series 5?! Why are we in the US just getting this now? Gr.

I have questions for those who've seen previous seasons:

-- Why on earth are they baking in a tent? Even the clear plastic walls can't shield the bakers too much from the humidity and potential temperatures changes, both of which are anathema to baking. (Still, the outdoor setting leads to some nice interstitial shots.)

-- I know "reality" "TV" plays fast and loose with time, but what's the time frame for each segment? It seems like each one takes place over a weekend and not one day.

-- Do the bakers know in advance what they're going to be making? The opening Cake episode went missing from my PBS station, so I just watched it online. One baker mentioned practicing Swiss rolls, and another had her husband make a cutting implement, so I'm guessing they have the week between segments to practice and are told what generally to practice.

-- Where can I get one of their ovens where the door slides under the oven and out of the way? Because I would clean my oven a lot more if I had one of those.

It's kind of a delightful show, though. I do wish the two hosts would dial back the puns and the shoutiness, but I can live with them. And I do not mind looking at Paul H one bit.

Welcome to the show and forum!

1. The tent thing is probably due in part to the village festival/traditional baking competitions that happen in the UK, often held in a tent. In the first series, the show moved locations/estates and setting up a tent was the best way to make use of this. Since then, they have changed the estate once per series. It is probaly easier and gives it the feel. The tent seems to be a signature of the show as almost all the other international versions feature baking under the tent.
  2. Each episode/week takes place over Saturday and Sunday. The contestants wear the same clothing for both days, but it's clear from judging and interviews that the Signature and Technical are the first day and the Showstopper is the next. The contestants go home for the rest of the week to live their regular lives and practice a lot for the next week's challenges.
  3. They know all the Signature and Showstopper challenges for the whole of the show (yes, even the final) and they provide the producers with recipes in advance. In turn, ingredients and equipment are prepared in advance and/or coordinated with the contestants.
  4. I do not know where to get the ovens, but if you find out, please let us know!

Happy posting. Enjoy!

• Love 3
  1. Each episode/week takes place over Saturday and Sunday. The contestants wear the same clothing for both days, but it's clear from judging and interviews that the Signature and Technical are the first day and the Showstopper is the next. The contestants go home for the rest of the week to live their regular lives and practice a lot for the next week's challenges.

This is so much better than the typical "make everyone live together" thing that most reality shows do IMO. No contestants sobbing about missing their families, no contestants getting into fights at the residence & carrying it over to the show, no "special" visits from relatives I don't care about, just the competition.

• Love 5

I do not know where to get the ovens, but if you find out, please let us know!

It seems that they have Neff ovens with Slide & Hide doors. Sadly, they are only available in Europe and Australia. They do no plan on bringing them to the US because Neff only makes built in appliances and that's a very small part of the US market. 

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 3

I stumbled across this while channel surfing and I am hooked!  It is just so "pleasant and civilized" compared to American cooking competition shows.  The contestants are all sweet lovely people, the judges are polite and pleasant, and the hosts are entertaining.  No sabotage or drama, and when someone messes up their fellow competitors are sympathetic and gracious.  

• Love 6

The fact that Viking have shacked up as a major sponsor can only be good news. Ratings obviously solid, and a commitment to future seasons. It's gone like a rocket up to pbs food most commented show online. Partly this is the Downton effect, but not the whole story.  Let's hope they use the back catalog  until s6 is available, s1-5 are a years' worth of sunday evenings. 

• Love 1

Washington Post says 2.5 million viewers and rising (implied). PBS have the rights to the new season (6). A new deal with Viking Cruises. This is going in the right direction. Now CBS has allowed the rights to expire, I think PBS should think hard about doing a US version right. Celebrating American traditions, low key, no arcs, selection through baking rather than who the producers feel will be good on tv. 

• Love 5

Washington Post says 2.5 million viewers and rising (implied). PBS have the rights to the new season (6). A new deal with Viking Cruises. This is going in the right direction. Now CBS has allowed the rights to expire, I think PBS should think hard about doing a US version right. Celebrating American traditions, low key, no arcs, selection through baking rather than who the producers feel will be good on tv. 

Good news! PBS could do it right, I think. I would hope they would not have Paul Hollywood again on an American version, however. He does a good job on the British version, but he doesn't understand our baking traditions or tastes, which was quite evident in the Great American Bake Off. There are lots of stellar pastry chefs here who could function well as judges.

• Love 1

I'm also a bit mystified by la Hollywood. He's so miserable. While the hosts may not be everyone's 'cup of tea'  thank g-d they roast him enough to make him less insufferable. Mary, on the other hand, is what Maggie Smith is to Downton.

There are plenty of artisan bakers around, although please no Jim Lahey. I have this uneasy feeling that pbs would go to Martha S first, shudder.

• Love 1

I'm beyond tired of the hosts, especially the brunette, who tries way too hard. One of the things I really liked about the American version of this show was Jeff Foxworthy, whose gentle and self-deprecating humor never intruded on the main point of the show - the baking.

• Love 6

I want to see the four previous series, but legally, so they see how much interest there is. I love this show. I'd even buy it, but I can't find a way. 

They're all on YouTube

Maybe my videocard is messing with me, but a lot of the current uploads playback with distorted sound for me. I'm guessing that's why Love Films hasn't yet called for them to be taken down. 

I want to see the four previous series, but legally, so they see how much interest there is. I love this show. I'd even buy it, but I can't find a way. 

The joys of messy international licensing. It is surprising that they haven't at least released the show on region 2 DVDs. The production companies behind other Brit shows are great about releasing DVDs right after broadcast so that non UK fans who are willing to pay can support them without pirating or waiting a year.

So far I've found GBBO online at Amazon UK and iTunes GB. Plus I suspect it's also listed at the official BBC store on Youtube. Unfortunately for all of them there are geographic limits on both streaming and billing.  

One of the things I really liked about the American version of this show was Jeff Foxworthy, whose gentle and self-deprecating humor never intruded on the main point of the show - the baking.

Foxworthy's stand up routines have their moments but I didn't enjoy him as a host on the show. If I recall correctly, he was good about stepping back from the action when needed but for some reason I still found him irritating. Maybe it was the the combination of he and the judges that just didn't work?

• Love 1

They're all on YouTube

I saw some, but when I say "legally," I mean I want to make sure they're not episodes loaded onto YouTube by some random person. I know the account reads something official-looking, but I wasn't sure if it actually is. I was trying to go through a channel I knew was approved of by the BBC. 

I saw some, but when I say "legally," I mean I want to make sure they're not episodes loaded onto YouTube by some random person. I know the account reads something official-looking, but I wasn't sure if it actually is. I was trying to go through a channel I knew was approved of by the BBC. 

There is one legal and official GBBO channel run by the production company who makes the show. It is not limited by geographic viewing. It does not feature the episodes but rather how-tos from the show, best moments, and other bits from the past five series. It has the application trailer for series 6 up.

• Love 2

Thank you both! I wasn't sure if that was legit.  I will be watching and watching and watching. Good thing I need to gain weight because power-watching this show could be dangerous.    

Good news! PBS could do it right, I think. I would hope they would not have Paul Hollywood again on an American version, however. He does a good job on the British version, but he doesn't understand our baking traditions or tastes, which was quite evident in the Great American Bake Off. There are lots of stellar pastry chefs here who could function well as judges.

Yeah, for pity's sake... how can you be a credible judge of American baking if you can't even tolerate the fact that items with Peanut Butter are going to taste Peanut Buttery? (that was the biggest WTF Paul! moment I recall from his appearance on the American version--I mean aside from him banging his co-star).

• Love 3