Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Editor's Note:

Discuss Tiny House Hunters Here!

A thread for the latest HH spinoff: Tiny House Hunters

Not to be confused with: Tiny House Nation

I just saw an episode of this last night.  It was comedy gold.  In this episode, a newly married couple sought a tiny home in New Jersey.  The husband had his heart set on composting toilets (hence the thread name), while the wife was decidedly less enthusiastic about that proposition.  (Until I looked up composting toilets later, I imagined they were something akin to cat litterboxes, where you would scoop your waste out and place it in a separate compost bin to use on your garden later.)  

• Love 1

I watched the episode with the CA family of six downsizing to 100 sq ft per person.

This is a cute and even understandable concept for couples, but these guys have four kids! And their oldest is 14 and Dad's reasoning is that she is not going be at home forever. What? You are telling her now that she's on a four-year deadline? Argh. And they really considered a house with no indoor toilet??

Also I noticed Mom had her nails done. I seriously question their priorities.

Edited by Grumpbump
  • Love 6

Just saw this for the first time tonight.  Overall, a refreshing twist on the regular HH, in which I tend to get annoyed at people wanting 5,000+ square feet, a pool, multiple guest suites, brand new kitchen with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, etc.

Did not get the couple with 4 kids' choice!  I thought #3 would be best...that little dump was awful.  The attic they were going to renovate for 2 kids' bedroom was so low ceilinged, and disgusting to boot!  They would practically need to rebuild the entire thing to make it habitable!  Strange that #3's kitchen was big, but they called it too small, yet they ended up putting the master in the kitchen in the shack they chose, and the kitchen in the minuscule dining area!  I'm sure there were other factors at play to cause them to choose that option!

And, I HAVE to ask, WHAT was the deal with the friend on the yurt-woman's episode, whose mouth was literally diagonal, and on the side of his face??????  He was like an Australian Scotty McCreery to the extreme!  How does that happen?!  And at what point in life is it frozen that way?!

And with a yurt, with a hole in the top, and sleeping in a loft directly below it, what happens when it rains, is windy, or cold?  Or was it in an area that's always sunny and warm?  And with the sides just being a wooden frame, like an old-fashioned baby gate, with fabric stretched over it, what happens during a serious storm?  Or are they only build where risk of thunderstorms, tornadoes, etc are not common?  

Loved her "wide open" bathroom!  Who wouldn't love that?  ha ha.  

• Love 2

I was looking forward to this one.  I'll be building my own house in about 5 years and it will probably be under 1000 sq ft, but dang, I don't think I could live in those mobile tiny houses!  I have a horse trailer with a 7 foot living quarter area and while it's fine for short term living, it's definitely not long term.  The lady firefighter with the 6'5 boyfriend - he's not going to be happy visiting her in that little thing.  I thought it was funny that they were getting into those empty lofts with their heads just below the ceiling and saying that they're a good size - Honey, once you put the mattress in there, you won't be sitting up straight anymore!!! (the one thing I hate about my trailer bed in the gooseneck part.)

• Love 2
Did not get the couple with 4 kids' choice!  I thought #3 would be best...that little dump was awful.  The attic they were going to renovate for 2 kids' bedroom was so low ceilinged, and disgusting to boot!  They would practically need to rebuild the entire thing to make it habitable!  Strange that #3's kitchen was big, but they called it too small, yet they ended up putting the master in the kitchen in the shack they chose, and the kitchen in the minuscule dining area!  I'm sure there were other factors at play to cause them to choose that option!

I am certainly not one who thinks everything has to be shiny and new, but usually people renovate houses because they are well built and have good bones.  This house just seemed so cheap and flimsy.  I also could not understand their reasoning.  They thought their original larger, but not gigantic home was keeping the family from bonding, because everyone had their own room?  Are they trying to force their close to teenage daughters to spend time with them because they have no escape in the small area?  Also, not only will the children have to get used to a much smaller home, but they will also be moving across the country.  That seems like an awful lot of change for a whim.  It seems like it would of been much easier to do a family game night or something to that affect.  I loved their snarky realtor who obviously though they were crazy. Their two year old twins were adorable, though.

• Love 7

I am certainly not one who thinks everything has to be shiny and new, but usually people renovate houses because they are well built and have good bones.  This house just seemed so cheap and flimsy.  I also could not understand their reasoning.  They thought their original larger, but not gigantic home was keeping the family from bonding, because everyone had their own room?  Are they trying to force their close to teenage daughters to spend time with them because they have no escape in the small area?  Also, not only will the children have to get used to a much smaller home, but they will also be moving across the country.  That seems like an awful lot of change for a whim.  It seems like it would of been much easier to do a family game night or something to that affect.  I loved their snarky realtor who obviously though they were crazy. Their two year old twins were adorable, though.

At the beginning of the episode they described their family vacation, driving cross country with the kids and visiting 30? states. That's the way you reconnect as a family. The story should have ended there. Not uprooting the clan and forcing them to completely relearn a new living arrangement. The one bathroom for six people bothers me too. I know it's not that unusual but I really felt bad for the older girls. Is there any resale value in those tiny houses? I guess the land could increase in value but I can't see the home really adding value. I think I would be hilarious to check in with them a few years later to find that they added onto the house. Maybe that second bathroom?

Also, their realtor's reactions were the best part of the episode, especially when she tried to say that she understood what they were doing and she respected their decision. Bwah!

• Love 2

I watched the couple (no kids) who wanted a tiny home that wouldn't take up much space on their farm.  They didn't want to take up valuable orchard space with a large house.  They ended up buying one that had to be built, and they made a few changes in the design.  I thought the finished product was really lovely and roomy for a tiny house.

Seems like every one of these episodes I've seen, the wife or girlfriend comments about how small the place is.  Duh, that's why they're called tiny houses.

• Love 3

Re: the couple with the 4 kids - did anyone else get the impression that the "move across the country to family and downsize to a smaller house to reconnect as a family" story was a cover for "we came back from our long vacation to no jobs and no prospects?"

That was the impression I got. Or...the nice home they were moving from was under water mortgage-wise or in foreclosure.

• Love 5

I've toyed with the idea of downsizing from my present condo to something about half the size, and when I'm thinking that way I look around each room and realize how much stuff would have to go if I did. Almost a decade ago I downsized from a larger house to this condo. Even with lots of planning and decluttering and disposing of stuff, that was a BIG deal. I don't regret it, but I also haven't forgotten that it's work and it's not magic. 

Suz, I totally agree that the focus should be on minimizing stuff rather than minimizing space, and presuming that you can thus minimize your stuff and your problems.

For two years in college, I lived by myself in a tiny (think: 300 sq foot glorified hotel room) furnished studio apartment.  The rent wasn't cheap, but the location was in walking distance of everywhere I needed to go (ideal since I didn't have a car then).  It was basically one room with a full-size bed, a desk, a bookshelf, a small table with two plastic chairs, a fridge, a microwave, a small loveseat, a tiny, outdated kitchenette (two-burner stove, sink, and two cabinets with no countertop), two tiny closets, and a small bathroom.  I made do with it, but a lot of my crap was still stored at my parents' house!   (Most of the other studios were also occupied by single tenants, but there were a few couples living there also!  Sadly, no pets were allowed.)   So that was my brief experience in Tiny Home living.  Now I live in a space that's 4 times that big, which is a bit too much room for me by myself, but as the saying goes, your stuff grows to fit the space you have.

• Love 2

but as the saying goes, your stuff grows to fit the space you have.

That's for sure.  I moved home after college (couldn't afford my own place AND horses AND have access to good riding trails by myself!  Priorities! <g>)   and have lived in a 400 sq ft space for 20+ years now.  With the exception of a kitchen, all of my belongings fit in that space.  I have land north of town and in about 5 years or so, I will have a house.  I can't imagine how I'm going to be able to fill it up, even though I'm only looking at plans under 1100 sq feet.  On the other hand, my sister recently moved in and they came from a house that was over 3000 sq ft and the amount of stuff they've had to put into storage boggles the mind.  Not to mention all the boxes they just had to bring with them!  

Huh.  I just may get a tiny house and move out sooner so they can have my space to spread and I can get away from the crowding. 

• Love 3

Suz, I totally agree that the focus should be on minimizing stuff rather than minimizing space, and presuming that you can thus minimize your stuff and your problems.

Laudable goal to first minimize stuff and then space.  Unfortunately, many if not most people need a fixed deadline in order to accomplish that goal, IMHO.

If the LA footage (for the family of 6) was their actual home (not always the case for HH and HGTV, lol), they'd already cleared everything out.  Probably had to inform the kids that the garage sale was on one date with the charity pickup on a later date and almost everything else would be trashed if they didn't take care of it.

Edited by aguabella

Tiny House Living on FYI builds a custom tiny house, so the focus is on paring down stuff.  ("Hey, family of four, your storage space is the same as that inflatable raft.  This is the stuff you want to keep.  If it fits, it stays.  And go!")

My favorite episode was the pear orchard couple, and I'm not sure that 650 sf (the size of a good 1 BR apartment) really qualifies as "tiny."

Tiny House Living on FYI builds a custom tiny house, so the focus is on paring down stuff.  ("Hey, family of four, your storage space is the same as that inflatable raft.  This is the stuff you want to keep.  If it fits, it stays.  And go!")

My favorite episode was the pear orchard couple, and I'm not sure that 650 sf (the size of a good 1 BR apartment) really qualifies as "tiny."

Haven't ever seen THN but if I'm understanding your description, ChelseaNH, construction of the tiny house provides the deadline many people need to clear out their stuff.

The orchard couple had a deadline b/c they said a family member was moving into their prior residence.

I'm enjoying the hunting a lot more than Tiny House Nation because the homes are already in place for the most part. The recent ep with the young couple who were looking in the tiny house "resort" (or more accurately, the trailer park for millennials) had some interesting info, and I liked seeing the different models and options available. I was surprised they chose the smallest one since they needed an office/work space, but it did have more custom/unique finishes.

I had one furnished apartment when I was young that was about 9' wide by 15' long. The living room area had a twin daybed, a small coffee table and a dresser/TV stand. The other room had a galley kitchen along one wall, a double closet along the other and a miniscule bathroom with stand-up tin shower. As a bonus, the entire place, walls and ceiling, was paneled in knotty pine. I lived alone but my boyfriend would someones sleep over in that danged daybed. I honestly didn't think about it being small but then, at the time I could move all my belongings in one load of my car. Moved out of my parent's house that way and was able to maintain that for most of my 20s, until I started buying furniture.

When my mother and grandmother both moved to assisted living, their rooms were probably 150 sf or so. Start out with little as a teen and then end up downsized that way again in your 80s!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 6

I caught up on a couple of the episodes - the Yurt Loon and the Family O'Six.

Yurt Loon must be a 31 year old trust fund baby, otherwise her first concern would have been how far her clients would have to travel to reach her and vice versa. I don't remember hearing her mention anything about that.

Re Family O'Six, I thought the mom only went on that 30 state tour with the kids (which was probably just driving cross-country and back to visit the grandparents in Corning NY). He probably can work from anywhere, as an animator. I thought that they were probably going to rent out their CA house, and live mortgage-free to start saving up for those upcoming college expenses in the relatively near future.

Sorry, married couple buying on Cape Cod -- I don't believe you intend to sell your big house at all. You're using that place on the Cape as a vacation cottage. Not sure if they lied to the HH producers or everyone was in cahoots (likely the latter), but that was NOT your full time house. I was also irritated when the wife immediately wanted to push out the entire house another 5' or whatever it was. "These stools aren't comfortable for me!" Yeah, that's a deal-breaker all right.

• Love 1

Sorry, married couple buying on Cape Cod -- I don't believe you intend to sell your big house at all. You're using that place on the Cape as a vacation cottage. Not sure if they lied to the HH producers or everyone was in cahoots (likely the latter), but that was NOT your full time house. I was also irritated when the wife immediately wanted to push out the entire house another 5' or whatever it was. "These stools aren't comfortable for me!" Yeah, that's a deal-breaker all right.

Cape Cod?  Did we miss one?  Well, you're correct, lordonia, they would have all been in on it.

Well, we didn't believe the yurt chick lived in that place, either.  The mattress in the super small loft appeared suitable for a nap under the stars - not overnights.  Plus, she mentioned she needed room in her b/r for 2, ahem, lol.  The yurt looked like a groovy office for her.  She'd completed the bath, IIRC, for clients (possibly only a powder room) in the adjacent out building but naturally hadn't done the kitchen when they filmed the final scene.  We believed she was a trust fund baby and still living at home with mummy and daddy.

Strange dynamic between yurt chick, her buying buddy and realtor.  Her good/best friend, Mr. Buying Buddy,  hung so close to her that we forgot he was married to the realtor!  Somebody on this or another blog said she'd cut the realtor out of a commission by purchasing the f/c place.  No worries b/c she had to purchase it b4 HH would agree to film her story so the realtor already knew the transaction had closed escrow and which place had been purchased.  Realtor friend did HH strictly for the publicity.

We did have another thought about chummy hubby and realtor - could the 3 of them be more than friends?  Aha, the plot thickens ...  "Today, on HH / DOOL or HH / GH, yurt chick & friends agree to meet again for another spiritual session.  Is that all?  Stay tuned ..." 

P.S.  Any soaps still on the air??

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

The Cape Cod one was Tiny House Hunting. not Tiny House Hunters.

They're everywhere.

Thanks for the info, auntjess.  Sounds like a passing fad.  Everybody's jumping on the bandwagon now and then we'll see the sq. footage start creeping up or something else will replace them as the latest and greatest.

• Love 3

Seems like for now, we should be able to talk about Tiny House Hunters and Tiny House Hunting since the idea and formats are the same and I've a feeling that there won't be a lot of new programs coming on.

I watched the Cape Cod program but what I'd like to say is that I am hoping that what with one large part of the population getting older and another large part of the population graduating into a world of fewer opportunities, that the trend is for people to get more humble abodes, especially in areas where they have access to so many outdoor activities. It's nice to see a couple comment that the living room couch would allow guests a lovely view from the livingroom or that the table could possibly seat six.  There's something about being able to cram people together  for a short period of time that appeals to me. Unlike in older days when it was a necessity, this time it's a short term voluntary necessity which you have fun with. Like me sharing the basement with my high school niece and my recently graduated from college nephew (they are not brother and sisters, but first cousins). We had a fun night talking in the dark, telling secrets that were not to leave the basement, trying to tell ghost stories, making fun of each other's "times" (music, clothes, haircuts, etc.)  Those couple of nights are something that will be a long-lasting memory.

• Love 2

The Cape Cod couple seemed to actually like each other and their disagreements were stated pleasantly, so that was refreshing. I just don't see them moving to that house permanently, though. It's fine for a vacation place, but nuh uh.

I get that there probably aren't that many people who genuinely intend to live in a tiny house, but there's a lot of artifice going on in these shows, if you ask me.

• Love 1

Seems like for now, we should be able to talk about Tiny House Hunters and Tiny House Hunting since the idea and formats are the same and I've a feeling that there won't be a lot of new programs coming on.

There are a lot, and that's why I made a topic for them. 

Then, because one of these was under the House Hunters imprimatur, that was separated out from the rest.

I've watched some of these Tiny House shows (hunting and hunters....really can't keep up) and I just wonder....some of these homes are extremely expensive and you seem to pay a premium for the "cute" factor. I think I'd rather just purchase a 900 square foot home, that's plenty small enough.

This ep was TH Hunting on FYI, but I had to come and squeal because one of the houses was in my old neighborhood of Travis Heights in Austin. Hurray, I guess. That's the house they "removed" from their long list of three to make the decision so much more manageable.

I would quibble with the notion that any neighborhood in East Austin could be considered "downtown," but whatever.

I was going to throat-punch the female hunter if she mentioned their upcoming wedding one more time, but then she mentioned it a bunch more and I remembered she is on TV and I have no access to her throat. I do sort of know where she lives, though.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 6

I once lived in an area of Dallas that was called North Dallas at the time. Now I hear people referring to it as "Midtown" and "Downtown".

Yeah, the constant mention of the wedding and her damned dress was annoying. I would guess that saying she mentioned it a dozen times is on the conservative side.

I like the comment about one of the homes being one that the could "grow into". Yeah, as soon as junior arrives, you're off to the suburbs to get that home with the triple garage. You're only kidding yourselves.

This isn't the first time I've noted that people aren't really looking for tiny houses (500 square feet or less) but small houses.

The ones that make me laugh myself silly are the tiny house shows where a couple is moving into a home that is less than 250 sq. ft. I think it's a manifestation of some long repressed childhood dream of building a clubhouse. Imagine how confining those places are in the wintertime, especially the ones on trailers that have to be set on farmland because of zoning restrictions.

I think that a minimum house size for a tiny/small house is 625 sq. ft. My sister has a shore cottage that size (2br, 1b, k/lr/dr combo) and it functions well for 1-4 people without everyone being right on top of one another. Something that size is also good (and believable) for empty-nesters.

• Love 4

Mr. Bubbls and I lived in a small (less than 500 sf) house from November 2014 to March 2015 while house hunting. It even had its own tiny bathroom. Let me tell you, it got OLD fast, especially on cold winter days when we were stuck inside. And there were only two of us with a cat. All I can say is these people better have good, stable relationships before they move into a space this size because everything about everyone else begins to get on everyone's nerves all the time!

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 5

I don't know why but I hate Tiny House Hunters and their tiny houses.  It is irrational.  I did not grow up in giant houses and had to share a room with one or tow other siblings.  I have lived in some very small places, mostly as a child but also a few small cottages and apartments. I wish my present house was a bit smaller but not Too small.  

• Love 2

I don't know why but I hate Tiny House Hunters and their tiny houses.  It is irrational.

I think it's a rational response to "true believers" in anything, who overdo it, be it tiny houses or veganism.

• Love 3

I think it's a rational response to "true believers" in anything, who overdo it, be it tiny houses or veganism.

I don't mind true believers per se, but what annoys me is when they constantly announce to everyone how healthy/responsible/moral/earth-conscious/better-than-you they are.

• Love 7

I'd like to see more "tiny" houses that aren't mobile.  If you put the house on a trailer, that really constrains the size.  Of course, that quickly turns into "Studio Apartment Nation" which is not quite so novel.

• Love 3

Those tiny houses on a trailer are just too unrealistic a size for most people. That guy that builds those kind of houses and supposedly lives in one with his wife? You don't see him living in one of them at the job site, do you? And if he's always off building them, how much time does he really spend in them?

• Love 2

I finally caught the yurt sound healer. That was comedy gold. and I didn't think it was possible, but tiny-house hunters are even more annoying than regular ones. Their most common comment seems to be about how small things are. Well, YES, you idiot.

I thought those earth pod houses shown on Yurt Girl's episode were really cool. But there are no friends I like well enough to kill myself helping build one.

• Love 6

I just can't understand the allure of tiny houses. I have a few friends who want to get one.  When I watch Tiny House Hunters I get this irrational anger especially when it was the family of 6.  Those poor teens, the parents kept saying the kids will love this.  Yeah, no.  A teen girl loves to share a loft with her 3 siblings.  No privacy.  

The other thing I hate about tiny houses is no privacy.  Everyone can hear you going to the bathroom (unless it is an outdoor toilet).  I once rented a tiny little cottage and the meniscal bathroom was right off the living room. If I had guest anyone going to the bathroom would turn on the water to try to cover any sounds.    

• Love 1

I thought the earth pod houses were neat too, BUT, would you really want to live in a structure that a bunch of your friends got together and built, after taking a course?

I mean how much beer would the build involve?

• Love 3

The couple on last night's episode were so grating. "We want a tiny house! We love tiny houses!" Then they proceed to complain about how cramped and small everything is. They ended up buying the biggest tiny house they toured, the one they called "a monstrosity" when they first saw it.

• Love 1

I wonder why the people who buy tiny houses on wheels, with plans to move around a lot, don't just get a camping trailer or motor home.  I'm much more interested in the people who look for existing small houses, say under 900 sq. ft. and make them work for a family.  With the extreme small homes, I always wonder where they will put the basic necessities of life.  I mean most people do need more than one towel, and I doubt they are running to the store every time they need a roll of toilet paper.  Where do they put their stuff?

• Love 7

There was an episode a couple of nights ago about a couple who built their tiny house in her(?) parents' barn and then parked it on the parents' property.  Although she insisted on full size appliances because she likes to cook, I would bet that they retreat to the parents' house to shower in an area larger than 3 square feet, take a tub bath, and partake of a larger living space every once in a while.  To me, this is more like camping out in someone's back yard, and not really living there full time.  I agree with Camom and wonder why these people don't just purchase a tow behind trailer that is probably less expensive.  The couple in this episode said they were trying to spend $30,000 max, but they did all of the work with the help of the parents, and had free land on which to park it, so that's really not a fair estimate of what it would cost to have someone build it commercially and then find the land to buy or rent.  I wouldn't mind downsizing from the space I have now, but I don't think tiny house living is for me, but I enjoy watching other people try it.    

• Love 1

I love watching the tiny house shows but I seriously doubt there are many people who could live comfortably in less than 250 square feet. I like to have more than a day's worth of food and toilet paper on hand, so I need more than one tiny cabinet for storage. I had to laugh when the daughter of the woman who retired to Hawaii mentioned "all" her knickknacks - 2 vases and 3 books. Still, I'd love a tiny house as a vacation home near a beach.

camom, did you ever see Small Space, Big Style? It was about houses/apartments under 1000 square feet (some much smaller, like NYC apartments). I liked that show because my old row house is about 900 sf (plus unfinished basement, for laundry and storage) and I could relate.

• Love 2

Yeah I always think these houses would be fine for a week's vacation but to live there fulltime, no framing way, particularly with my partner who I love and adore but would murder him in the first month.

The couple who "needed" a king sized bed and a home office, you need to leave Carmel and get an apartment not a tiny house in your mom's yard!

• Love 7

WTF on the king sized bed in a tiny house. It seems like that would be one of the easiest things to downsize - at least to a queen if nothing else, which is not even tiny. Seems like a no-brainer, if you know you're going to be squeezing into a tiny bedroom as it is ... why take up more room than necessary with the largest size of bed on the market??

Something about these tiny houses appeals to me, same way I like to wander through those sections in Ikea that are like "Living in 285 sq feet / 450 sq feet / 600 sq feet" etc.  It's neat to see the different ideas of how someone could potentially arrange things to work with such a small space.  But I would only do it if I could afford to have someone professionally design & organize my home with all brand new stuff and clever storage pieces to maximize the space and make it super cute.  But then if I could afford that, I wouldn't need to buy a tiny house. 

• Love 4

WTF on the king sized bed in a tiny house. It seems like that would be one of the easiest things to downsize - at least to a queen if nothing else, which is not even tiny. Seems like a no-brainer, if you know you're going to be squeezing into a tiny bedroom as it is ... why take up more room than necessary with the largest size of bed on the market??

On the one hand, that room isn't going to be used for anything other than being on the bed, so I can see ignoring all other considerations and going wall-to-wall bed.  But having some room around a bed makes it infinitely easier to make it up, something you're presumably going to be doing every day, and even moreso when you change the sheets.

That also comes up in those lofts.  Nobody should EVER agree to a bed that's up against a wall until they're tried to put sheets on it.  And I can tell you that a bed that I have to BE on in order to make it up is a total non-starter.

But since I would put a queen-sized bed in there, I'll say that I thought that house was great--the "Tiny Titan" that went in the woman's parents' back yard in Carmel Valley, California.  It looked totally livable, although I don't think I'd like doing a fulltime job in that loft, and I'd replace the refrigerator with something that doesn't jut out so much. 

I just wondered what the neighbors thought.  It looked pretty wooded, so maybe they can't see back there, but all those portable carport things for the cars, and now a house?  It was starting to look like something you see on "Hoarders."

• Love 3

Wow tonight's visiting nurse....that first house..wow.  It's not even the size of my bedroom!  I just can't imagine living in one of these homes.  I'm so glad she took the larger one.  She decorated it pretty decent too.  But damn the bathroom in that little one..ugh.

I like the idea that somebody else will tow the house for her.  It's got to be easier.  However, how do you know where to plop the house down?  I wonder if you have to rent a spot or something.

• Love 2

Wow tonight's visiting nurse....that first house..wow.  It's not even the size of my bedroom!  I just can't imagine living in one of these homes.  I'm so glad she took the larger one.  She decorated it pretty decent too.  But damn the bathroom in that little one..ugh.

I like the idea that somebody else will tow the house for her.  It's got to be easier.  However, how do you know where to plop the house down?  I wonder if you have to rent a spot or something.

It sounded from the episode that you rent a spot in an RV park. I felt bad for the dog, those stairs are going to be hard to get up as it gets older. 

• Love 1

Wow tonight's visiting nurse....that first house..wow. It's not even the size of my bedroom! I just can't imagine living in one of these homes. I'm so glad she took the larger one. She decorated it pretty decent too. But damn the bathroom in that little one..ugh.

I like the idea that somebody else will tow the house for her. It's got to be easier. However, how do you know where to plop the house down? I wonder if you have to rent a spot or something.

They said she was staying at a nearby RV park, so her plan is probably to find campgrounds with utility hook-ups at each job. I still wonder if it isn't cheaper to stay in one of those long-term stay hotels or find a sublet.

On "Tiny House Nation," there was a couple who had a home built that they could take to the wife's itinerant nursing jobs. I think towing a house would be too much of a hassle.

• Love 1