Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Rule #426: Fantasyland: A Great Place to Visit

C. Thomas Howell looks old, gray, and greasy. Blech!

Thank You! It was driving me crazy trying to think of his name, he sure has aged. His yellow teeth were distracting me. Almost all celebrities have a mouth full of perfectly white, straight, very expensive veneers. I guess C. Thomas didn't get that memo. 

A little lacy short tank top like bra with no wires would be okay to sleep in if one is exceptionally blessed, and to mollify the censors. But an underwire bra? Never. I take off my bra the moment I get home, I sure as hell don't sleep in it.

• Love 4

"it's probably the same reason they undo their bras and fish them out of their sleeves the second they cross the threshold of their homes at the end of the workday"

I'd love just one show to have a scene like that.

• Love 2

When I was a kid, there was some kind of bullshit old wives' nonsense that wearing a bra to bed would help prevent sagging, but that was a long time ago, before ladies were allowed to like sex.

Jeez, they even take off their corsets for bed in all the Austen-related movies! If Lizzie Bennet can sleep with Free Tatas, so can we all.

• Love 4

"it's probably the same reason they undo their bras and fish them out of their sleeves the second they cross the threshold of their homes at the end of the workday"

I'd love just one show to have a scene like that.

I really seem to remember Jamie on Mad About You doing this once... anybody else?

• Love 1

Valid point here, but of all the many things that bother me bout this shitty show, this is not really one of 'em.  It is a censorship issue & can't be gotten around.  How weird was it when Samantha or Carrie on Sex and the City would be having sex in their bras?  Made absolutely no sense.    But either you accepted it & moved on or ya couldn't watch that show.  Never bothered me all that much actually.  But when Carrie would walk around after sex, wrapping herself completely in a sheet, which she seemed to do a ton of times, I thought that was weird as fuck & ridiculously unreal.  Er, Abby hasn't done dat shit yet -- or has she?

I didn't watch cuz at this point I have no interest, but here's one of the few who bothered to recap.  This one thinks the show is awesome.  OK then.  C. Thomas Howell looks pretty horrible & at 48, he isn't old, but he's aged terribly.  And this recap says he's got pooping issues.  Oh, dat's charming.

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/12/girlfriends-guide-to-divorce-season-1-episode-4-review-rule-numb/

Sheesh, that pic of Abby holding up her ring finger, looking like she's giving us all the finger, gives me the fuckin' creeps.  I hate it.  Anyhoo, I hope anyone still watching will post.  Since I'm not watching anymore, I'm not gonna.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

We watched it, but I'm in the middle of making rabbit pappardelle for Xmas Eve dinner (got my bunny braisin' so I have a brief window of down time).  Will post some thoughts after the sauvigon blanc and pinot noir kick in. Okay, I'll admit it, I'm already feelin' the sauvignon...

Merry Xmas, Previouslies!

Edited by Lone Wolf

To be fair Sarah Jessica Parker limited what Carrie would show in the bedroom whereas Samantha when the show aired on HBO showed and did just about everything. I always thought Kim Cattral did most of the heavy lifting in that regard and didn't get much credit for putting it all out there. In syndication most of the edgier Samantha and other nude scenes were heavily edited so we forget how racy it was for its time when aired on HBO.

• Love 2

Never have I been more annoyed by the bra thing than on Hart of Dixie, when Zoe and Wade hook up. Mainly because Wade seems like a dude who would go straight for the boobs once the shirt was off. Why can't they just show the woman laying across her partner in the aftermath, so we're seeing a naked back, indicating that they did actually take off all their clothes, without breaking any FCC rules.

• Love 1

This was a weird episode. Nate was so neurotic and critical of Abby. Why did she even bother to seek him out to tell him face to face that they should stop dating?

I also don't understand why the brother needed to be in the bathroom while Abby's friends were arguing, unless it was just an excuse to not be standing next to his husband.

When I was a kid, there was some kind of bullshit old wives' nonsense that wearing a bra to bed would help prevent sagging, but that was a long time ago, before ladies were allowed to like sex.

My mom used to tell us daughters that if we wore bras to bed, our boobs wouldn't grow. Sure enough, I never wore a bra to bed and I have G-cups. I'm pretty sure that's science.
  • Love 4

Late to the party to join the majority opinion.  I hate that they're comparing this POS to Sex & the City...not even close.  But everything in Hollywood must needs be linked to a previous success, so...

Lisa Edelstein doesn't work as a show anchor.  I like her okay, but she's just not leading lady-type.  I keep peeking in anyway, hoping maybe there will be improvement (plus I love the set decoration!)...intrigued by the Big Gay Fight between the two Perfect Gay Men...thought: Wow, here's a twist no one shows! this could be compelling!  but then the fight was over when JAR gave a speech, and the next scene, everything's perfect.

I heard someone talking about this recently. Apparently someone they know always wore some type of bra and her boobs have not sagged.Crazy

Thank You! It was driving me crazy trying to think of his name, he sure has aged. His yellow teeth were distracting me. Almost all celebrities have a mouth full of perfectly white, straight, very expensive veneers. I guess C. Thomas didn't get that memo. 

I noticed his teeth too but just the bottom looked gross to me. EW. I used to love him so.

Haven't watched this episode (or the third episode). Been catching up on this show on On-Demand. I LOVE Lisa Edelstein, which is why I gave the show a chance. I had no idea that Janeane Garafolo was involved and I was thrilled. I can't believe a show with these two amazing actresses isn't my favorite show ever. I find the show well-acted but the pacing is horrible. There's nothing compelling me to see what's going to happen next. 

I'm super bummed that JG apparently left the show. Not good. Her character adds some edge to the show. I know some people found her character hateful, but to me, she's more like the female Ari Gold. She's a jerk, but she does have some heart. 

I also like Abby. Beau Garret's character (can't even remember the character's name), I could do without. This show needs one of the 'girlfriends' to be a married woman to add a different perspective. I think that's why the show feels a little one note.

I am probably the only one, but I like this show A LOT. But, it is because I am waiting for the moment that I finally land a job in my field so that I can slap my husband with the divorce papers he so rightly deserves. The built up anger and hostility from the last 18 years is smack on with JG's character. I relate. For the average viewer that holds no interest, for me, it allows me the chance for some vicarious catharsis. JG's character and all the awful things she does to her ex, I only wish that I could do to mine. Again, this probably is not interesting viewing for 99.9% of the people watching, but for me, the anger and bitterness is very true to life for some of us. 

• Love 5

I can't tell what is wrong with this show. It feels like both the writing and the acting fall just short. The whole A plot of Abby and Nate should have been crackling, but it wasn't. Nate literally couldn't shut up and Lisa Edelstein isn't a strong enough comedic to bring more when the script is lacking. I couldn't figure out why Abby would want to double down on this self absorbed blowhard. The date was terrible, the kiss was worse, why sleep with him?

Our window into the gay marriage would have been great if we really had an opportunity to learn anything about them and their marriage prior to this.

Janeane was fantastic in her break down scene. She was giving us sad, scared, and lonely. Not just angry which is I'm sure what was on the page.

I'm sure the happy ending massage was intended to be funny, but it was dumb and obvious. Paul Adelstein should never be allowed to pen another script if he thinks this is OK.

• Love 3

I heard someone talking about this recently. Apparently someone they know always wore some type of bra and her boobs have not sagged.Crazy

I heard the same story, at least about always wearing your bra daily (not the bra at bedtime thing). I have recently read though, that wearing a bra daily makes them sag - not having any support exercises the chest muscles. Anyway, it's a moot point for those of us that are well-endowed. It does hurt to go braless all day - too much friction on the nipples, for one. Running is even worse - they go bouncing all over the place. Uncomfortable, and too attention getting.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a coworker. We were discussing whether or not women slept in their bras and she told me she had heard if you do that it keeps your breasts from growing. I swear I almost peed my pants laughing.

As far as the sagging, it's not the breasts it's the underlying muscles that support them. Push ups and anything else that engages the upper body and chest area will bring them back.

There's one situation in which women consistently sleep in their bras - drunk-sleep. I haven't seen this show (I hadn't seen most of the shows that TWoP covered, but I learned to love many of them purely because of the recaps) - but did was she taking on a Cougar Town level of wine, by chance? That'll lead to a bra-sleep, and one more morning pain.

In the last episode I saw, Beau Garrett, the poor-woman's Samantha, was given her OWN SHEET in a scene where she had to try to extricate herself from a post-coital threesome. She was in the middle of her two lovers, and had to gingerly lift the sheet so as not to wake them (in a scene we've seen 502,000 times in every rom-com ever made since they loosened the Hays Code). When she awkwardly slips out of the king-sized bed--instead of taking the whole sheet with her, or exposing a quick flash of nudity, the producers gave her a sheet of her OWN to wrap around herself. (So if I'm a threesome, we each get our 1500 thread count Egyptian cotton sheet? Count me in!) The thing that annoys me most about this show (and "Sex in the City" which I rarely watched) is that it presumes that single women living in LA or NYC are all fabulously wealthy with great shoes. How much does Abby's repurposed Scandinavian wood decor (that door I would kill for!) really cost, in her all-glass house avec swimming pool? Jeneane's kitchen alone is bigger than most of the apartments in NY and LA. So okay, it's Hollywood. And I can forgive that for the fantasy factor. But what pisses me off about this show is that it tries so hard to be topical, but it's really just the same old moralistic, conventional tripe we've see before. ("Breaking Bad" this ain't!) It seems to be caught in an early 90s "Sex and the City" time warp, and I LOATHED that show too. God forbid, Abby should have a relationship with the hotter, more mature younger man because women don't do that, not unless they're craven cougars. God forbid Samantha should actually explore a polyamorous relationship, and all the hijinks that might ensue, but no--they shut that down right away. And god forbid that Jeaneane be anything less than a bitter, out-of-control shrew who can't handle herself professionally, because isn't that what women do? Men can handle themselves on the job when their personal lives are a mess. But women---never! At first I watched the show as a guilty pleasure. But the more I think about it, the more annoyed I'm getting!

• Love 2

I don't watch this show, but read the piece on the front page and had to comment.  

My wife will wear either her bra or her panties to bed -- rarely both and even more rarely neither.  I think it's kind of weird, but it's what makes her comfy and that's all that matters.

It seems that most TV women sleep in bra, t-shirt and boy shorts.  Was there a regulation passed to make this an official uniform that I wasn't aware of?