Type keyword(s) to search

Emily Prentiss: Sin to Win

• Start Topic

that bit at the end of the episode. She lays the guilt trip down on Reid about going to Rossi's house and I just wanna reach into the tv and smack the sh!t out of her. "You mourned the loss of a friend, I mourned the loss of six."

No. No, no, you effing did not. You KNEW they were all alive and well, you played Scrabble online with JJ, you were not in effing mourning. 

It was a miserable, bitchy, horrible thing to do to an alleged friend. Whether they were wrong or right, they were his feelings and he was entitled to them and for her to lay that guilt trip on him, in effect, to try to bully him into going was just OUT. OF. LINE.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

that bit at the end of the episode. She lays the guilt trip down on Reid about going to Rossi's house and I just wanna reach into the tv and smack the sh!t out of her. "You mourned the loss of a friend, I mourned the loss of six."

No. No, no, you effing did not. You KNEW they were all alive and well, you played Scrabble online with JJ, you were not in effing mourning. 

It was a miserable, bitchy, horrible thing to do to an alleged friend. Whether they were wrong or right, they were his feelings and he was entitled to them and for her to lay that guilt trip on him, in effect, to try to bully him into going was just OUT. OF. LINE.

Yes, let's make Reid feel guilty for having an opinion about the whole situation, not to mention, rather hurt feelings, which he was totally entitled to.

And it wasn't JJ; it was Cheeto Breath.

• Love 4

Ah. Yeah if we could just erase that entire episode, I'd be up for that. Not Janine's finest hour, at all. 

I think Emily may have been trying to smooth things over, but it was clumsy and ineffective. It was obvious he still wasn't fully on-board when he showed up (late) to Rossi's, but he put on a nice face anyway. 

• Love 3

No Prentiss had just faked her death (or had it faked for her) and was living in hiding because Doyle was still alive and after her. Doesn't sound like she was living it up in Gay Ole Paris and visiting the Eiffel Tower every day. She didn't know if she was ever coming back (and wouldn't have if the network hadn't ordered PB to) so in a sense she was mourning them. Playing online scrabble isn't quite the same.

As for that line - well maybe take it as a melodramatic line for a melodramatic situation. Or maybe, take it as one friend trying to get the other friend to pull his head out. As friends do. Although I've never taken Reid as a super special snowflake that should never be at all teased or criticised by his friends/family (which, as per the narrative, is what this team is. If not family).

That said, I always thought Reid and Emily had one of the nicest, more adult friendships on the show. She teased him sure but it certainly wasn't bullying. As for the 'there's a lot to hate about you Dr Reid' that I see people criticise all the time - he had just dragged her story. How that comes across as being just so mean to poor old Reid - I guess I'm missing something. Looks like they were friends to me.

• Love 3

Overall, "Proof" is just a poorly written episode all around. There is WAY too much unsub, way too many gross out scenes, just too much. Then pile on the over the top Reid/JJ drama and that ridiculous pasta party resolution. Basically, the show seemed to want the drama in the wake of the Emily return, but they didn't want to do it like grownups and just have it percolate and resolve across multiple episodes. They wanted a one and done sort of thing, and then they wanted to move past it like it was never a big deal. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SparedTurkey said:

That said, I always thought Reid and Emily had one of the nicest, more adult friendships on the show. She teased him sure but it certainly wasn't bullying. As for the 'there's a lot to hate about you Dr Reid' that I see people criticise all the time - he had just dragged her story. How that comes across as being just so mean to poor old Reid - I guess I'm missing something. Looks like they were friends to me.

There has been a pattern on the show, especially from S5,  of Reid being mocked, interrupted, receiving eye rolls, etc. -- the rest of the team isn't subjected to this. Has nothing to do with him being any sort of special snowflake. Merely an observation of events that have occurred.  Much was made early on in the series that Reid often didn't get social cues like everyone else -- so he listened to Emily's story with a literal ear and solved the puzzle (which is what he does)... then sat there and listened to his friends make fun of him for it.  And it didn't appear that he found any of it humorous. 

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SparedTurkey said:

No Prentiss had just faked her death (or had it faked for her) and was living in hiding because Doyle was still alive and after her. Doesn't sound like she was living it up in Gay Ole Paris and visiting the Eiffel Tower every day. She didn't know if she was ever coming back (and wouldn't have if the network hadn't ordered PB to) so in a sense she was mourning them. Playing online scrabble isn't quite the same.

but the point is, SHE was not mourning the loss of friends. Nobody died. Not like HIM, he thought for that time that she was dead. He WAS mourning. She was trying to make HIM feel guilty about his being angry/disappointed about the deception.

As a *friend* she had no friggin' right to try and make HIS loss less than hers. Friends don't do that to eachother. Nor do they try to guilt or bully each other into doing things.

She may not have been 'living it up' but the point and fact is that she was, in fact, alive and safe, and not dead like he was led to believe. 

I almost take back what I said about Awake being The. Worst. Episode. I think this one could give it a run for the money.

• Love 3

There has been a pattern on the show, especially from S5,  of Reid being mocked, interrupted, receiving eye rolls, etc. -- the rest of the team isn't subjected to this. 

Sure okay. But my point was him and Emily seemed to get on and there is a mutual understanding. I watched that scene again - comes across to me as friendly banter between the two of them. She didn't say she hated him and he isn't crying into his coffee at the end. I don't see her constantly criticising him or putting him down during the show. Why should she treat him with kid gloves? Because the fandom does.

As a *friend* she had no friggin' right to try and make HIS loss less than hers. Friends don't do that to eachother. Nor do they try to guilt or bully each other into doing things.

I barely know how to respond to this comment. I will say that it is not bullying. It's just not. And you can mourn the loss of relationships even where someone hasn't died. As for safe - you realise Doyle was still alive right? And ready to kill her? Plus Emily was the only one who knew where his kid was. Like no, not safe. And alone. Unlike Reid.

And I know Reid is the fan favourite but he doesn't get the monopoly on life sucking. If he couldn't put aside his 'pain' for the sake of the job - quit. Don't bring it in to the workplace, don't be unprofessional. If you can no longer trust them or work with them - quit. All I saw Emily doing was pointing out the whole situation sucked for all of them and just maybe, as smart as he is, Reid needed that wake up call. But it just isn't bullying.

• Love 2

It,s curious how differently we perceive the same scenes and situations. The one about the puzzle star is one of my favourites. I think it's mainly because I love the way Prentiss tells the story, and the reactions of Rossi, Morgan (stops listening to music to listen to the story) and García (slows the knitting, little smile).

And I like the sentence "there's a lot to hate about you, Dr Reid" , I don't feel it as bullying at all, in fact I use it myself sometimes. 

• Love 1

It must be nice for Paget to know she is so secure with this show that she is able to leave and do other projects. And if they don't pan out, she has a home there to go back to and not just for guest spots but fulltime. That's security that very few TV actors have. Must feel good after how CBS treated her in Season 6. I hope her contract is ironclad this time.

I hope it's OK to post this in the Emily thread seeing as it's about Paget more so, but after spending most of the last six months watching all of Criminal Minds up to the present day episodes (I'm a late convert to the show), it was SO weird to come across her as Kathy in a Friends repeat I saw today.  So young!  Such extremely red, short hair!  She rocked it, though, IMO.

• Love 1

One of the best parts about finding this site is having a place to confess how much I love Emily Prentiss! As others have said, she's tough but compassionate, socially awkward but sassy, impatient and snarky but deeply caring, blunt but sensitive, cerebral but sometimes recklessly impulsive, and so on. I relate to her in some ways and aspire to be like her in others. She's someone who's both relatably flawed and who I can look up to. I'm sure some of my love for her stems from how much I like the actress. And how much I covet her hair, lol. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Iknewyoucoulddoit said:

One of the best parts about finding this site is having a place to confess how much I love Emily Prentiss! As others have said, she's tough but compassionate, socially awkward but sassy, impatient and snarky but deeply caring, blunt but sensitive, cerebral but sometimes recklessly impulsive, and so on. I relate to her in some ways and aspire to be like her in others. She's someone who's both relatably flawed and who I can look up to. I'm sure some of my love for her stems from how much I like the actress. And how much I covet her hair, lol. 

You might like my recent interview with Paget, if you haven't seen it already: 

http://criminalmindsfans.com/exclusive-interview-paget-brewster-on-coming-home-emilys-future/

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

As an agent, I liked her. I like season 4 Prentiss the best. I can't stand her as unit chief. 

I agree Hotchgirl. Apart from a few scenes Prentiss has been played this season either very flat or over-acted. I loved Prentiss in the early seasons but dislike her as Unit Chief.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

I agree Hotchgirl. Apart from a few scenes Prentiss has been played this season either very flat or over-acted. I loved Prentiss in the early seasons but dislike her as Unit Chief.

As far as I'm concerned, she's not the Unit Chief.

I think Paget, and thereby Emily, had a hard time finding her footing with this return.  She was asked to play a role that was both familiar, and yet different, without having been through an on-screen and in-character transition.  But I saw the real Emily again during her scenes with Reid at the US jail----maybe Collision Course?   (For me, one of the down sides of this long arc is that I can't differentiate the episodes, since I pay absolutely no attention to the case of the week).  

I wish they would abandon doing other cases, or at least show Emily overseeing their working the Scratch case on the side.  I think Paget is ready to bring it.

Edited by JMO
  • Love 8

I’ve been enjoying Emily as the Unit Chief.  She has her own style that is different than Hotch.  As JMO referred to, Paget found herself in new territory.  She was only planning to come back and play in the CM sandbox for six or eight episodes (not sure of the number) because her schedule was open so she could easily step into the shoes of Emily and play her like she has for six seasons. 

Then unfortunately Gibson apparently got himself fired and suddenly they asked her to come back full time and her character would eventually become the new Unit Chief.  Now she had a change to play Emily as the boss and not an agent on the team. It was a chance for her to take Emily in a new direction that was denied to her when she returned in Season 7.  The events of Doyle changed her, yet the writers continued to write Emily the way she was before it happened. They barely addressed any PTSD she might have had in the one episode (That's why I think they did it with JJ because they realized they missed the boat the first time.) It took her some episodes to settle into this new role and now that she has, she’s doing a fine job.

Since Emily was an unexpected addition to the season, they really don’t have the opportunity to give us some Emily-centric episodes because they already had the season planned out and had to make adjustments for Hotch’s absence.  I hoping they will rectify that next season.  I’m very hopeful about that.  Even though the ratings are down (Those have been going down for years even with Hotch at the helm. It’s an old show and that’s what happens will all old shows), it’s still CBS’s third highest rated drama. 

Now I’m liking the mixture of the cases and Reid’s dilemma, watching the team deal with what’s happening with him while still doing the job they are expected to do.  I like watching Emily juggling being there for Reid and keeping the team running. 

• Love 5