Type keyword(s) to search

Emily Prentiss: Sin to Win

• Start Topic

From the pilot of Grandfathered:

"And because I hate to seem like the over-protective mother stereotype, I hope I only have to say this once. If you hurt my son, or his daughter, I will choke you to death with your own over-moisturized hands."

I'm already in love. XD

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 4

Paget Brewster is the only reason I would continue to watch Grandfathered. She's also the only reason I watched the premiere in the first place, since the premise of the show doesn't really interest me. She owned every single scene she was in, though, and she was great.

I definitely think at least 90% of Emily's awesomeness was all Paget.

• Love 2

From The Onion AV Club Paget Brewster on leaving Criminal Minds and not fucking up Community:

Excerpts:

So I went, and they said, “This is the second season of our show, the character of Elle Greenaway has moved on, and we’re looking for a female to come into the team. It’s sort of a new person who can now ask questions, so the audience gets the chance to see this cast through new eyes. That’s what we want you to play. And we do work with consultants from the FBI. Like, right now we’re working on a script about a guy who’s got a trailer and it’s outfitted with torture devices, and he’s in the desert, and his girlfriend…” And I said, “Oh, you’re talking about the Toybox Killer.” [Laughs.] And they all were silent.

They looked at me, and I said, “It’s David Parker Ray.” But they were like, “How do you know that?” And I said, “Oh, well, I’ve seen the interviews that he did.” And they were like, “Yeah, but… why?” I said, “I’m one of those people. I just know this stuff. I know what you’re doing, I think you do it really well, and I watch your show. I’m obsessed with serial killers, too.” And they were sort of floored and a little perturbed, but I think they were, like, “Well, at least she knows what we’re doing!” [Laughs.]

AVC: At the end of season five of Criminal Minds, were you blindsided when you got the word about the budget cuts—or whatever was going on—and that they’d dropped you and A.J. Cook from the cast?

PB: Oh, yeah, that wasn’t budget cuts. Inside one of our episodes, we had shot a spinoff with Beau Garrett, Forest Whittaker, Mike Kelly, and Matt Ryan, and—honestly—the next thing we heard, A.J. and I were fired. [someone from] CBS had just called Ed Bernaro and said, “I want new women.” So we were fired, the fans were upset, there was a petition… A.J. shot an episode to sort of explain where J.J. was going, but my agents had negotiated for me to do 17 episodes and then leave. Because we were fired. So I went to the writers and said, “Just kill my character, give the team something to do, and I’ll leave.” I was heartbroken. I was so happy there. I loved everyone there, and it was easily one of the most hurtful things that’s ever happened, to be fired because they wanted “new women.” Our showrunner quit after that, he was so pissed off. He felt that he couldn’t run his show after we were let go.

Ugh, you know some idiot network executive wanted to copy Law and Order and it's revolving door of hot female ADAs  when in real life those actresses voluntarily quit that show for various reasons.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

From The Onion AV Club Paget Brewster on leaving Criminal Minds and not fucking up Community:

Excerpts:

Ugh, you know some idiot network executive wanted to copy Law and Order and it's revolving door of hot female ADAs  when in real life those actresses voluntarily quit that show for various reasons.

Well isn't this just great. Now I got something else to be thanking those bleeping idiots over at CBS for. Because even though we did get the girls back, it was only temporarily with PB's character and AJ's character ended up morphing into something I couldn't stand. Now I find out this whole bit of firing the girls was the reason Ed left the show and it ended up in the hands of MESSer. SO THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH CBS.YOU BUNCH OF MORONS.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 3

That was actually an interesting interview with some good info on what happened behind the scenes. Seriously, the show paid Rachel Nichols twice as much as AJ and Paget?!? Screw you CBS. Your short sighted choices did irreparable harm to Criminal Minds and it still has not fully recovered. 

• Love 5

That was actually an interesting interview with some good info on what happened behind the scenes. Seriously, the show paid Rachel Nichols twice as much as AJ and Paget?!? Screw you CBS. Your short sighted choices did irreparable harm to Criminal Minds and it still has not fully recovered. 

WTF! I guess I missed that part. And then those lying S.O.B.'S had the gall to claim they had to let AJC and PB go because of budget cuts.No wonder PB was pissed off and wouldn't agree to come back permanently. I sometimes wonder why AJC herself agreed to come back. Perhaps they made it more worth her while to come back than they did for PB.And the fact that AJC is married and has a family and PB was single at the time might of had something to do with it also.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 5

I think you are onto to something. I did read that AJ debated whether or not to come back to Criminal Minds. I believe AJ's salary when she came back was $75,000 per episode, which was a substantial pay raise for her (she was making more than Matthew season seven). Plus she is the primary breadwinner in the family. Plus she wasn't exactly drowning in acting jobs during her year off, and I think she wanted the stability that comes from filming a TV show in LA. Paget didn't have those same concerns. She was single at the time with no kids. Plus she mentioned that she had saved up a lot of money over the years, so she could get herself through the lean periods of little work. 

• Love 4

While I hope you're wrong about the death part, you may be right about the 11-year Morgan retrospective, ReidFan. It would be fine with me if they had a bit of a walk down memory lane, but, boy! I hope they aren't killing him!

• Love 4

While I hope you're wrong about the death part, you may be right about the 11-year Morgan retrospective, ReidFan. It would be fine with me if they had a bit of a walk down memory lane, but, boy! I hope they aren't killing him!

I'm thrilled to see Emily again, even if it is for one episode. But hope it doesn't mean Morgan dies. Enough with BAU deaths!

• Love 4
(edited)

her dignity made her leave the show (and maybe other reasons I don't know or care) but she isn't working as much as she wants I assume, at least on television

if she comes back she makes money in a place she is comfortable and the show fixes the hole they think the show has, but after JJ reboot as the new 007 Prentiss what is going to be Emily's role? Morgan's? Emily the third?... She is a boss now and she looks happy, why is she coming back?

Personanlly, I don't like actors paying visits after they are out, there are exceptions, but most of the time those episodes are something between a crap and a filler.

I think it will be just an appearance or maybe a multi-episode arc... I guess we will see. At this point I just want a show  the less painful to watch the better.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 3

Reidfan, it's called Another Period, and it's a sendup along the lines of the Drunk History folks. But yes, I agree Prentiss logically would not be coming back to the BAU. She might come back in another capacity, however, and as long as it wasn't stupid, I'd be all for it. I really miss her.

• Love 1

I have mixed feelings about it.  I love Emily Prentiss and I do miss her.  A big part of why I came to like her  so much is that she had such unique relationships with the other members of the team, especially Hotch, Reid and the departed Morgan.  

But if she is only coming back for one or a couple of episodes, I fear they will become the 'Prentiss!' episodes, detracting from Reid the rest of the team.  I feel this way mostly because, to date, they haven't seemed to use her returns to do anything other than pit her against the bad guys.  There's been very little (as in almost none) depiction of her interaction with the other team members.  There was the girls' night out that turned into a team night out, but it was done as a montage, and it completely sidestepped the interactions I've always enjoyed so much.  For me, her returns have been wasted opportunities and resulted in frustration.  

So, if she's coming back, as looks to be the case, I hope those particular writing responsibilities are placed in the right hands, and the focus is on the characters we know and love.  Then, I will get excited.

• Love 4

I'm excited to see Paget back. Emily has been my favorite character since he arrived on the scene. I just hope she's not going to be used as a love interest for the new guy. I'm also a little apprehensive that between her and the newbie, Reid will be relegated to the back burner and won't be allowed to step up and show his skills, as he should now with Morgan gone.

• Love 5

Oh my gosh! I'm so excited about this news. I'm trying to keep my expectations really low so I won't be disappointed, but right now the prospect of seeing her back on my screen is one of the main reasons to tune in to next season :) 

Which Emily scenes from her time on the show stand out as favorites for you guys?! 

I loved her in Minimal loss. The whole thing was written as solid character pieces, not only for Prentiss and Reid, but Hotch and everyone else. This is the Emily I love: strong, compassionate and protective. And her message to Reid at the end was spot-on: we get to know how highly she regards him, loves him even, but there is no sentimentality to it. She's not a damsel in distress at any point, but she's also not Ms. Superspy I'msuchabadassKarateChop!

I also loved her in Demonology, when she was so completely destroyed about Matthew's murder; she practically looked 15 as she was remembering being 15.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, normasm said:

I loved her in Minimal loss. The whole thing was written as solid character pieces, not only for Prentiss and Reid, but Hotch and everyone else. This is the Emily I love: strong, compassionate and protective. And her message to Reid at the end was spot-on: we get to know how highly she regards him, loves him even, but there is no sentimentality to it. She's not a damsel in distress at any point, but she's also not Ms. Superspy I'msuchabadassKarateChop!

I also loved her in Demonology, when she was so completely destroyed about Matthew's murder; she practically looked 15 as she was remembering being 15.

I love her in these episodes, too. I always thought maybe Emily and Spencer had a strong sister/brother vibe because they were both only children. (I never heard of Emily discussing any siblings and Diana pretty much said she achieved perfection with Spencer, which I totally agree with).

• Love 1

loved Minimal Loss.    hated Demonology  :-\ (the latter not because of Prentiss just because of the contrived stupid storyline) but yeah, Minimal Loss was wonderful. 

• Love 4
(edited)
35 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

loved Minimal Loss.    hated Demonology  :-\ (the latter not because of Prentiss just because of the contrived stupid storyline) but yeah, Minimal Loss was wonderful. 

Just the way Spencer looked at Emily after she was beat up showed so much concern and compassion. I wish I could have had Spencer look at me that way after I was mugged and beaten. Though my bruises were a million times worse than Emily's and dried blood in my hair isn't exactly an attractive look.

Edited by Bookish Jen

This is very out of the blue and I'm not sure if you guys already know about this, but I found it very interesting. After reading that Prentiss was originally supposed to be gay/bisexual I did some research. I found out that the writers actually planned for Prentiss to wake up in bed with a girl lying next to her and Paget and the writers were on board but the network shut it down. 

http://booksboobstvshows.tumblr.com/post/122909549517/a-million-years-ago-when-paget-was-still-on-the

This was on tumblr but Kirsten Vangsness mentioned it in her AfterEllen podcast.

That happened with Reid too, shut down his sexuality, now Reid is some kind of monk. 

Whats wrong with these people, violence has no limit and something as natural as sex is censured. Sad.

Yeah. I don't have a problem with them making Reid straight, as that was probably determined before the show ever aired. The fourth episode where he had his crush on JJ was already planned and filmed ( I imagine) before the pilot aired. The show and characters have deviated so much from Jeff Davis's original plan I don't think his original plan has any weight on the characters or show. The show he created was called Quantico, not Criminal Minds, had no JJ, and Garcia was supposed to be a Hispanic man. Reid was also supposed to resemble an emotionless robot. And Jeff Davis was only there a month. So, I don't have a problem with the characters having different sexualities than what Davis planned because it really changed into an entire different show.

However, I do feel like Prentiss's sexuality is a little different because the team of writers decided on it and were planning on carrying it out after the show was already established. I don't know, it's still not canon, but it does bother me that the writers don't seem to even have a grasp on what the sexualities of their characters are. Of course maybe they tried to make her bisexual and weren't allowed by the network, but then I really wished Kirsten hadn't spoken about it at all. It makes it seem like the writers don't know the sexualities of their own characters and taints the characterization that is actually shown, because then it seems kind of "fake." Or maybe I'm just looking too much into this.

• Love 1

I think that most of the writers don't have a good handle on the characters, from anything to backstory to sexuality. We have seen more than one episode that will contradict previous canon, so I wonder how much the writers remember about previous characterization, or if they just don't care and want to push forward their ideas of the characters. The beauty about the idea of Reid or Emily being bisexual, is that they could still make that happen, if they were truly committed to rendering the idea in as respectful manner as possible. Which means that no, it isn't likely to happen, but it could. 

• Love 1

Hmm, I would have a tough time accepting a bisexual Reid as canon because to me they pretty much confirmed his heterosexuality in the episode " God Complex."During  the conversion when he asked Blake to drive hime to the pay phone and the she came back to ask him what was up, she asked him why he was using ambiguous terms, He was avoiding any word that would identify gender. Then when she called him out on it, he said its because he doesn't want them to know about "her." I don't see how this would work if he was bisexual, because then her being a "her" wouldn't give anything away.

later on in that episode on the plane ride home, Morgan told Reid, " If there is anyone special in your life I would just like to know who she is." He then says in the same conversation " she must be one hell of a woman to keep up with you." Since Garcia told him about his suspicious actions and not Blake, Morgan had no previous knowledge that it was a female, he just assumed it was a girl and Spencer didn't correct him. Since by this point Morgan and Spencer have been good friends for 8 years, I'm sure him and Spencer have discussed these matters. Or, if Spencer actually was bisexual, I am sure he probably would've corrected him. Assuming his heterosexuality would be "incorrect" otherwise, and I'm sure Spencer wouldn't like the inaccuracy. I'm also sure he would of pointed out his bisexuality to further confuse Morgan, because he didn't want him knowing about her. 

There are other times when I think the show pretty much confirmed Spencer's heterosexuality, but those two instances are the most blatant to me, especially the first one. Why would Reid use ambiguous words if he was bisexual ?So, I do hope the writers don't make Spencer bisexual because to me it would be a major retcon. However, I can't recall any such instances regarding sexuality with Prentiss, and she did say "I've dated worse people" or something like that in 52 pickup, so I do think I could see it being a possibility with her. 

For me, it would not be some insurmountable retcon for Reid to be bisexual. So his colleagues assume he is heterosexual. It doesn't mean he is only that. Bisexuality, especially male bisexuality is still somewhat misunderstood, and Reid doesn't strike me as the type who has that many conversations about his sexuality in any case. If he has never been in a relationship with a man before (because he has barely ever been in a relationship with a woman from what we can tell), I can see why that part of his sexuality has never come up in conversation. Considering that some people still do have later in life sexual experiences, it is not out of the realm of the possible for Reid to be bisexual. Especially since the show's writing still points to Reid quite possibly being still a virgin (or at least they have never once presented a backstory or current relationship that is likely to have been sexual for him). 

Now, I say all of this with the full knowledge that the show is not likely to ever even explore that possibility. Hell, at this point, there has been no indication they want Reid to be in a real, healthy romantic/sexual relationship of any kind, which is another issue. I just like the idea, and I think it could work. Just like I think it could work if they went the route of making Emily bisexual as well. 

• Love 2

I could see how his collegues would assume he was straight. And while I don't think spencer would be talking about his sex life very much with his colleagues, I do think he woukd probably correct them, but of course it is also very possible that he wouldn't. I just can't get over Reid using the ambiguous term and then saying he's doing it so tney don't know about "her." I can't see how this would make sense if he was bisexual. So to me I do think that it is canon that reid is straight, becuase I just can't make much sense out of it otherwise ( and I also have to admit I prefer to think of Reid as straight because as a straight female it sort of ruins the fantasy otherwise, but that's my own issue). But I also understood how you could view otherwise. I also think having a bisexual Emily could be neat,as long as it wasn't gimmicky. Just out of curiosity, is it only Reid and Prentiss who you would like to see bisexual, or would you like to see it in any other character as well?

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
  • Love 1

If Reid had never told his colleagues he was bisexual, I don't think he would say anything to the contrary if he was talking about romantic feelings for a woman. I think it would only come up if Reid was having romantic feelings for a man. Or at least that is a route the writers COULD go if they wanted to pursue that avenue for Reid (which we have never seen any indication they do, so this is all just imagining on my part). 

In addition to Reid and Emily, I think they could get away with making Penelope bisexual. I could even buy Tara. But that's about it for me. 

I know there are plenty of JJ/Emily shippers and plenty of Hotch/Reid or Reid/Morgan shippers. I think they are fun to play with in fantasy, but would rather none of those show up as canon. And they won't, just like I don't see any other fantasy ships becoming canon. 

While Reid plays as hetero (owing probably to Matthew's influence as they've imbued their characters with their own qualities, in some cases), and I prefer that too, he could also be asexual. He actually plays more to that, and the writers write him more to that, than even hetero.

The wonderful and awful thing about this is that characters are assumed heterosexual unless explicitly stated. It is an unfortunate assumption, but it does give the writers freedom to make pretty much any character bisexual.

I don't think Reid not wanting to use "her" says anything at all about his sexuality, but further discussion on that should probably go to the Reid thread.

It doesn't matter if a character dates the opposite sex, or we have never seen them to have interest in the same sex. Due to the assumption of heterosexuality, the audience will assume they're straight unless given hints otherwise. For example - Annalise in How To Get Away With Murder. Even Willow on BtVS, although I don't think that's as solid of an example.

So, I don't really think it's retconning to make anyone bisexual. I'd love if they made a character something other than heterosexual - whether it's an old or a new character.

I would love Emily back permanently, and I would be happy for them to decide that she is bisexual or gay, but I would be very unhappy if there are any relationships with team members or character assassination or if she ends up being killed off.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2016 at 1:07 PM, normasm said:

I didn't like Demonology much, but I liked that we got some backstory on Prentiss, and of course Paget gave a great performance. Loved her with Reid in Minimal Loss. But my absolute favorite Prentiss moment is, "Ladies, this is Brad, a real FBI agent. "

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Franky said:

That's a good one. I like "Don't Emily me." 

Paget's delivery was classic on that. I loved it!!!!

Speaking of Paget...

"Happy Saturday, my nerds!"

Paget was a bit taken aback when the powers-that-be showed her the wig she'd be wearing in an upcoming episode. Then she thought, "Well, at least Prentiss will have plenty of room in that wig to hide her gun, badge, smart phone, tablet, wallet, keys, make-up bag, coffee mug and not to mention, Sergio the cat."

37a45ebac64f553e34f52cfe663bd4ec.jpg

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Franky said:

I thought that do was Sergio!

Thanks for the giggle, Franky. Yes, cats do take up space wherever they damn please, including the top of your head. My cat, Pokey Jones (the original Mr. Scratch, well, at least when it comes to my furniture), loves to sleep on my head. This damn cat is nearly 20 pounds and is almost as big as me. No wonder I always have a crick in my neck.

On-topic: Looking forward to Paget's return to CM emoting as Emily Prentiss like a bad ass.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ReidFan said:

::poke:: "He's so lifelike!"

and

"There's a lot to hate about you Dr. Reid."  / "Try playing poker with him." / "Or 'Go'"

These actually hurt my feelings. I didn't care for the way she spoke to him in these scenes. 

• Love 1