Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Younan Nowzaradan: Saviour or Surgeon?

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, ProTourist said:

Dr. Now's second book has been released. It's available in Kindle format from Amazon; not sure if there is a print edition as yet. A free sample is available.

The Scale Does Not Lie, People Do.: Reversing obesity now.

Wow. It's priced at $24.95. I've had a Kindle since they were introduced in 2008 and have hundreds of books in my Kindle library. I admire Dr. Now, but no way am I paying anything like $24.95 for his Kindle book.

My biggest splurge was about $14 or $15 for the Kindle edition of Joe Kenda's book because I really wanted to read it when it was published (and I don't regret that purchase at all). I'll just read the bit of Dr. Now's book that's available via the "free sample," and pick up what I can from reviews and maybe the discussions here.

• Love 2

Maybe it will be available at the library?  I very, very rarely buy books nowadays, only if I plan to reread them many times.  Otherwise, I just go to the library.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Hellga said:

Maybe it will be available at the library?  I very, very rarely buy books nowadays, only if I plan to reread them many times.  Otherwise, I just go to the library.

I hope so. I rarely buy books these days either.  The ones we know we will ready many times. Do you ever wonder what the poundicipants read?

19 hours ago, Hellga said:

More info on the new book from Dr. Now's instagram:

65306266_173449920351212_385084466781147

I don't know if Kindle or other e-book formats can be borrowed from libraries, but once the print edition is available it should be possible to ask one's library to order a copy.

• Love 1

My library does lend e-books (though I personally haven't done it, I like the feel of real paper books).  I would expect that nowadays most libraries have e-book lending in place. 

Some books do tend to be more "local" though - when the former director of the Omaha Zoo, Dr. Simmons, published his memoir it was widely available in libraries in Omaha but wasn't available here in Westchester (which is a pity because it was a very enjoyable read) - so I don't know if Dr. Now's book will become widely available outside Houston area - but obesity  being such a major problem, it might.  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, nokat said:

I hope so. I rarely buy books these days either.  The ones we know we will ready many times. Do you ever wonder what the poundicipants read?

The menus at local fast food joints.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Hellga said:

My library does lend e-books (though I personally haven't done it, I like the feel of real paper books).  I would expect that nowadays most libraries have e-book lending in place. 

Yes, but the publishing industry doesn't make it easy/affordable for libraries to offer ebooks. The public library systems in my area have pretty strong ebook collections but even so it's nothing like the strength/depth of their hard copy collections. Personally, I love being able to check out ebooks; they download right away and when the loan is over they just no longer work. You don't have to return them physically, and you can't ever go past the due date with them.

In response to what we think the poundticipants read:

2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The menus at local fast food joints.

True.

26 minutes ago, Hellga said:

But do they read the words, or just look at the pictures and numbers?

For some of them, maybe. Some have seemed poorly educated. But for the most part they are not stupid, or illiterate.

Screwed up? Delusional? Troubled? In need of a lot of help?

Yes. 

Stupid ignorant lesser mortals than me? Who can't read a fast food menu?

No.

• Love 2

I read the sample. It's hard to believe Dr. Now actually wrote that. It is, um, not good. And seems contradictory about the role of genetics. And I miss his accent.  

When it got to the part where they say humans have been in existent for 5,000-6,000 years I was like. wow-smiley-emoticon.gif ... ...um, that's a quite a few million off. Did no one fact check this book?!

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I read the sample. It's hard to believe Dr. Now actually wrote that. It is, um, not good. And seems contradictory about the role of genetics. And I miss his accent.  

When it got to the part where they say humans have been in existent for 5,000-6,000 years I was like. wow-smiley-emoticon.gif ... ...um, that's a quite a few million off. Did no one fact check this book?!

I've glanced through the sample and have found some issues as well, such as those you mention. Regarding the amount of time he says humanity has existed, I've read that Dr. Now is an Assyrian christian, so he may hold some points of view that are not strictly scientific. [But of course we should not discuss religion nor politics here.]

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ProTourist said:

I've read that Dr. Now is an Assyrian christian, so he may hold some points of view that are not strictly scientific. [But of course we should not discuss religion nor politics here.]

You hear that Shenee?

• LOL 10
(edited)

A recent post to Dr. Now's Instagram (no caption):

62373856_2275100012805795_65033429076166

It looks like they've placed a bear trap over the patient. I keep expecting it to snap shut on their hands! 😧

Edited by ProTourist
  • LOL 3
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, ProTourist said:

A recent offering on Dr. Now's Instagram page: 

Brilliant.  This should really be plastered all over. 

• Love 1

This image was also posted a couple of days ago on Dr. Now's Instagram page, with the following caption: "Season 8, My 600 pounds Life will air soon!"

65716891_2438600612888959_51196316476375

I don't know about in Texas, but when it's summer, January is not considered 'soon'. But September would be.  👀

• Useful 1
On 1/3/2015 at 3:32 PM, PityFree said:

I have always gotten the impression (who knows how accurate it is) that he is sort of shady. My impression comes from the fact that his office looks like it's in a strip mall, the office looks trashy, and the is a big neon OPEN sign over the door. 

I'd like to see if the doctor has any sort of nutrition classes before or after the surgery to prepare people for the changes they will be doing. I've seen almost all of the episodes, but I can't remember if they ever showed this.

His office is situated in an affluent neighborhood in Houston. In fact there is a Whole Foods supermarket across the street. Sometimes can be seen in the show.

One more shot of the detritus of sleeve gastrectomy, from Dr. Now's Instagram:

67102971_412233712972561_643354899299516

The following caption was included: "Sleeve gastrectomy - the stomach holds a sizable amount of food. Three to four pints. By reducing the size of stomach down by 20% a person will now be able to eat much less and get full much quick. As a result, loose excess weight."

On 7/30/2019 at 11:16 PM, ProTourist said:

This image was also posted a couple of days ago on Dr. Now's Instagram page, with the following caption: "Season 8, My 600 pounds Life will air soon!"

65716891_2438600612888959_51196316476375

I don't know about in Texas, but when it's summer, January is not considered 'soon'. But September would be.  👀

And I don’t think this would be a representation of who is having whee are they now episodes. Christina reaches her target weight in her third episode and was still there in Melissas’ 25th followup. I doubt Zyalynn will be on the show again since she refuses skin surgery from Dr Now. They barely had Chad on the last episode of season 7...he was an afterthought. Niki seems to have very happpily married and moved on, etc. this is just a promo photo with some of the older patients before TLC started hiring crazies like assanti and schenee

• Love 1
On 8/2/2019 at 10:07 PM, El maestro said:

His office is situated in an affluent neighborhood in Houston. In fact there is a Whole Foods supermarket across the street. Sometimes can be seen in the show.

Not sure about location of office, but have been to Houston I late 90's.  As inter-racial, non-white couple with small child then was fearful of reception, but were received by nothing but politeness and love.  Houston area is huge!  Like Los Angeles.  It's so weird it can be overcast and still 100 degrees.  As a Californian we always have that clear overhead sun beating down.  Sounds great until you want some shade.  We walked around downtown Houston and saw rivers filled with swimming turtles.  I loved watching turtles in the park.  Sorry guys, I'm up late, am home because husband and I have had emergency health issues (now on the mend) and am "playing on the computer". My understanding of Dr. Nowzaradan's office is that it is in a "strip mall", but no, was never an auto dealership.

• Love 3

With his patient's size, and mobility issues, they need to be at ground level, and need to have wider doorways, and a concrete slab floor.       Can you imagine some of his patient having to use an elevator in a regular building?     

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

With his patient's size, and mobility issues, they need to be at ground level, and need to have wider doorways, and a concrete slab floor.       Can you imagine some of his patient having to use an elevator in a regular building?     

Yes, even with the ground- floor access and the famous blue curb, many caretakers seem to struggle to get their charges in the door and down the hall.  I feel for them; it must be very humiliating.  Why not more help, including with the weigh-in?

1 hour ago, Carboncat said:

Yes, even with the ground- floor access and the famous blue curb, many caretakers seem to struggle to get their charges in the door and down the hall.  I feel for them; it must be very humiliating.  Why not more help, including with the weigh-in?

Maybe it's the beginning of Dr. Now's expectation that they will start doing things they're not used to doing . . . eating less, eating healthier, getting more exercise.  If he's providing a life-changing service worth thousands of dollars, those who are benefiting need to push themselves to get to him as partial proof that they really want it.  These are people who have spent years - many of them bedridden - making poor choices.  The day they meet Dr. Now represents the first day of their new life.  And if that involves walking from the parking lot and getting themselves onto a scale, so be it.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Maybe it's the beginning of Dr. Now's expectation that they will start doing things they're not used to doing . . . eating less, eating healthier, getting more exercise.  If he's providing a life-changing service worth thousands of dollars, those who are benefiting need to push themselves to get to him as partial proof that they really want it.  These are people who have spent years - many of them bedridden - making poor choices.  The day they meet Dr. Now represents the first day of their new life.  And if that involves walking from the parking lot and getting themselves onto a scale, so be it.

Ok, well put...

• Love 1

Dr. Now's office is in West University, one of the most expensive areas in Houston.  He's also only minutes away from the Medical Center, of the famous M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Texas Children's Hospital, etc., as well as minutes away from downtown Houston, where St. Joseph's Hospital is (where he does his surgeries).  He is also minutes from Rice University (West University is the area just west of Rice).  Very exclusive area.

As another poster said, he likely has his office in a low area for easy access by patients.  

And yes, literally across the street from him is a Whole Foods, along with million dollar homes and some of the best schools in the country.

He is by no means in a low-rent area.

Edited by Sterling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Sterling said:

Dr. Now's office is in West University, one of the most expensive areas in Houston.  He's also only minutes away from the Medical Center, of the famous M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Texas Children's Hospital, etc., as well as minutes away from downtown Houston, where St. Joseph's Hospital is (where he does his surgeries).  He is also minutes from Rice University (West University is the area just west of Rice).  Very exclusive area.

As another poster said, he likely has his office in a low area for easy access by patients.  

And yes, literally across the street from him is a Whole Foods, along with million dollar homes and some of the best schools in the country.

Don’t forget the Lice store next door 😉

Having now put myself under the care of a barbaric surgeon, I'm starting to appreciate the accommodations that need to be made for many of her patients. I know that I'm not her typical patient in that I can fit in a regular seat and don't have any mobility issues, but quite a few of the people I saw at the education class do. Easy access to the office, like being on the first floor, can mean a lot for patients who can't walk more than a few yards before getting out of breath.

And going through the process, I really do understand what Dr. Now is trying to accomplish with these patients. Most of them have the worst eating habits imaginable, both in quantity and quality of food and he's making it clear that they need to make radical changes for the rest of their lives if they want to be successful. Too many walk in thinking that just because he's cutting out a big section of their stomachs and/or re-routing some of the body's plumbing that it's going to be a quick fix. It's telling that that the ones who can wrap their heads around these changes and put in the work are the ones who succeed while the ones who just expect the weight loss to be done for them are the ones who fail.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/19/2019 at 5:12 AM, Sterling said:

Is Houston just that ugly?  

On 7/7/2019 at 5:52 AM, TVbitch said:

It’s not even like he mentions 6000 years once, he does it several times in one sample. And I don’t think he understands animal eating behavior at all. Cows eat all day, if they don’t get fat it’s because they’re lactating and/or they’re eating grass, which doesn’t provide much energy. 

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, kokapetl said:

It’s not even like he mentions 6000 years once, he does it several times in one sample. And I don’t think he understands animal eating behavior at all. Cows eat all day, if they don’t get fat it’s because they’re lactating and/or they’re eating grass, which doesn’t provide much energy. 

Like all large cities Houston has some ugly parts and some pretty parts. I do not think where he is is ugly not beautiful maybe but definitely not a slum.

• Love 1
On 9/25/2019 at 1:04 PM, kokapetl said:

I remember something I read in the "70's....  If a person were locked in a room full of celery, chew as they might, they would eventually starve to death.  The energy of chewing would negate the caloric value.  So glad I get to share this factoid I've been pondering for years!😉 Yes, herbivores need to eat constantly.  Obligate carnivores like our cats can sleep 20 hours a day and expend a short burst of energy to accomplish a kill.  Or remind their humans to fill stainless-steel bowls with wet food. 😼.

I have been to Houston once, in 2000, for several days.  Several things struck me, as a Californian.  First, the metro area is HUGE, like Los Angeles.  Flat, with endless freeways which are scary when you don't know where you're going.  The mugginess....how it can be overcast and still 100 degrees.  I kind of liked it; California sunshine can feel weaponized when it's coming into your car or a western-facing window.

Yes Houston struck me as ugly---concrete, no sense of planning or open space, clearly neglected neighborhoods where the small frame houses seemed to have been set up on cinder-block foundations in response to recent floods etc....

Remember, of course, this was nearly 20 years ago, but I did enjoy the attempt to make a park of a clearly declining downtown with pedestrian paths and canals.  The waterways were full of turtles, that was wonderfull.

This was a business trip for us, not a sightseeing tour, but all of our personal encounters with Houstonians were cheering.  We are a mixed-race family with a small boy (at that time) and I was apprehensive about Texas.  I was wrong;  we were welcomed with nothing but friendliness.

Like a lot of places, I imagine when you get off the freeway there are beautiful areas.  But some of our cities are just getting too big.

Edited by Carboncat
realised this should be in "small talk" thread. I am getting sloppy with this, and I'm looking forward to new episodes, or at least re-runs to share with Pounders. Sorry.
  • Love 1

Today is Dr. Now's birthday -- he is 75 years old today. Here is his latest post on Instagram, from yesterday:

70378212_934124610295086_408795888532317

"Excess skin removal after weight loss surgery It will improve body contour"

Happy birthday, doc!  🎂 🎈

• Love 3