Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

Missed the last episode due to a work event (sorry, after a year and a half of remote working a dinner with colleagues does take precedence over any TV show, even snarking with my pounder friends!)  but I am catching up with the episodes and I am definitely not letting anything stop me from watching this Wednesday's episode.  Well, hopefully the Ironic Overpowers don't take out my cable and internet, that is. :)   Though it will be odd to watch a show about overeating people the day before the day when everyone overeats!   I am planning a super-simple menu given I will be by myself.  Turkey, cranberry sauce, baked sweet potato, asparagus, apple tart and some tangerines.

• Love 3

I am planning a super-simple menu given I will be by myself.  Turkey, cranberry sauce, baked sweet potato, asparagus, apple tart and some tangerines.

Tangerines are fine, but can be a gateway citrus fruit to oranges and we know how awful they are. I had sugar free jam on my toast for breakfast once. By the end of the day, my jeans didn't fit.

This post is brought to you by the Snark Council.

• LOL 9
3 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Promise me you won't have grapes - the Devil's fruit!

I do in fact have grapes in the fridge.  I am afraid my gateway fruit happened some 35 years ago and I am suffering enjoying a lifelong addiction.  And at this very moment I have in my possession:  blueberries, grapes, apples, persimmons, bananas, tangerines and a pomegranate.  As well as plantains and tomatoes (the latter being a savory-dish gateway fruit!).  Plus cranberries that don't count because their ultimate fate is to become cranberry sauce in two days. 

I am catching up on Julian's episode and comment about moving freezer food struck me.  I have moved six times over the last 15 years, and I have always moved all the food I haven't eaten yet with me.  The movers would take my well-packed canned goods and jars of dried beans and grains and pasta but everything that was in my fridge and freezer would go in a large cooler with some ice travel in my car.  I always move perishables, jewelry and documents myself... Only on the big move from Nebraska to New Jersey I didn't take the food it since I was moving out of my parents' house anyway, but on moves from New Jersey to New York and New York to Massachusetts and all the local moves I always took everything.  I am not abandoning my jars of homemade pickles and jams!  And perfectly edible frozen stuff I simply haven't managed to polish off before the big move (about a month before I would start trying to eat the frozen/fridge stuff instead of buying fresh, but inevitably never eat it all).  I am a first -generation city person, and my farmer blood says it's a sin to throw away perfectly good, unspoiled food.  I know how much labor and resources goes into producing it...

Plus, my Mom and I usually take a cooler with some fresh produce from her garden and  sandwiches or savory hand pies with us on our road trips, and a good cooler and frequently replenished ice keep everything safe over 1-3 days even in 100+ degree summer heat in the back of my Mom's SUV.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Hellga said:

And at this very moment I have in my possession:  blueberries, grapes, apples, persimmons, bananas, tangerines and a pomegranate.  As well as plantains and tomatoes

I ate my last banana, and I admit to the grapes. Do you count things in the freezer?

Edited by nokat
On 11/21/2021 at 8:00 PM, Hellga said:

Missed the last episode due to a work event (sorry, after a year and a half of remote working a dinner with colleagues does take precedence over any TV show, even snarking with my pounder friends!)  but I am catching up with the episodes and I am definitely not letting anything stop me from watching this Wednesday's episode.  Well, hopefully the Ironic Overpowers don't take out my cable and internet, that is. :)   Though it will be odd to watch a show about overeating people the day before the day when everyone overeats!   I am planning a super-simple menu given I will be by myself.  Turkey, cranberry sauce, baked sweet potato, asparagus, apple tart and some tangerines.

If you're talking about the Bianca episode, the supersized edition is on Thanksgiving evening from 7-9 Central on TLC, and should rerun later in the evening too.   At some point I'm sure they'll stop doing the Supersized versions, and go back to showing the rerun from the previous week right before the new episode.  

4 hours ago, nokat said:

I ate my last banana, and I admit to the grapes. Do you count things in the freezer?

I didn't.  But the only produce in my freezer is a bag of aronia from my Mom's tree (I use it frozen in cornbread, she cooks it with some sugar to add to plain yogurt, I've also made a barbecue sauce out of it) and some raspberries I had to throw in the freezer so they wouldn't spoil while I travelled so I am not sure they are any good but I will throw them in some baked good eventually.  Plus a bag of vegetable mix from Target that works beautifully for shepherd's pie...   I prefer to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. My freezer is mostly used for leftovers (soups and baked goods, mostly, though odds are some turkey will end up there too!)  and prepackaged meals or kits for emergency or too-lazy-to-cook nights.

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

If you're talking about the Bianca episode, the supersized edition is on Thanksgiving evening from 7-9 Central on TLC, and should rerun later in the evening too.   At some point I'm sure they'll stop doing the Supersized versions, and go back to showing the rerun from the previous week right before the new episode.  

I have access to all the episodes through xfinity on demand...  I was going to catch up wiht Bianca yesterday, but it took me longer to get through Nathan and Julian than I thought, so I will watch Bianca sometime over this weekend.  Was she a success?  As in, if I pig out while watching her, will it be inspiring or compounding my guilt?

2 hours ago, Hellga said:

I have access to all the episodes through xfinity on demand...  I was going to catch up wiht Bianca yesterday, but it took me longer to get through Nathan and Julian than I thought, so I will watch Bianca sometime over this weekend.  Was she a success?  As in, if I pig out while watching her, will it be inspiring or compounding my guilt?

She starts off inhaling (that's the only way to put it) a lot of food, but she turns everything around in spite of hurdles along the way.     I really like her, and her adorable kids.    If you watch it, you might not want to watch the actual inhaling of food.     She was inspiring.   

• Love 2

Happy Thanksgiving, my pounder friends!

It's Thanksgiving evening and time for the perennial question:  why don't I cook roast turkey breast more often, given how simple it is to make and how delicious?    

PS  While I am at it, I will also confess that I don't like stuffing (or dressing, whatever you call it).  Or gravy (I will eat it when freshly made but then all the rest of it goes to waste so I don't bother making it anymore).  Does that make me a healthy Thanksgiving celebrator?  No one needs to know how much sugar is in my cranberry sauce... 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1

We had a quiet Thanksgiving at home, just the two of us. Well, just the two of us and our five cats. The new kitty twined around my legs the whole time I was cooking today. I made deviled eggs, green bean casserole, mac n' cheese and mashed potatoes. I cooked the turkey breast in the slow cooker on a bed of chopped onions and minced garlic. I coated the turkey breast in olive oil and room temperature butter with a rub of dry mustard, smoked paprika, fresh ground pepper and dried oregano. I added the juice of one lemon. It turned out just about perfect! My girlfriend made her signature corn pudding and cherry cobbler.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Thanksgiving dinner 2021.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I miss my Wednesday night snark-fest.  Was always the highlight of my week.  Is that sad or just the fact that I'm an Accountant?

I end up watching the episodes on the Optimum channel later on during the week.  My gym opens at 430am so I'm in the parking lot waiting at 425am.  That means I'm in bed at 745pm.  I cannot keep my eyes open at 8pm anymore.

Keep posting the great comments.  I'll do a few floors of Stairmaster for each of you.

• Love 6
On 11/25/2021 at 9:36 PM, mmecorday said:

We had a quiet Thanksgiving at home, just the two of us. Well, just the two of us and our five cats. The new kitty twined around my legs the whole time I was cooking today. I made deviled eggs, green bean casserole, mac n' cheese and mashed potatoes. I cooked the turkey breast in the slow cooker on a bed of chopped onions and minced garlic. I coated the turkey breast in olive oil and room temperature butter with a rub of dry mustard, smoked paprika, fresh ground pepper and dried oregano. I added the juice of one lemon. It turned out just about perfect! My girlfriend made her signature corn pudding and cherry cobbler.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Thanksgiving dinner 2021.jpg

That looks delicious but I don't like my food to touch so it is also making me a little twitchy. 

• Love 1
On 11/25/2021 at 5:31 PM, Hellga said:

Happy Thanksgiving, my pounder friends!

It's Thanksgiving evening and time for the perennial question:  why don't I cook roast turkey breast more often, given how simple it is to make and how delicious?    

PS  While I am at it, I will also confess that I don't like stuffing (or dressing, whatever you call it).  Or gravy (I will eat it when freshly made but then all the rest of it goes to waste so I don't bother making it anymore).  Does that make me a healthy Thanksgiving celebrator?  No one needs to know how much sugar is in my cranberry sauce... 

I love stuffing. It involves the gizzard, liver, and heart. My Grandmother always wanted the neck. If you grew up with family that didn't waste anything.

This New Year is the time for pork and sauerkraut, for a good year ahead.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2021 at 5:27 AM, nokat said:

I love stuffing. It involves the gizzard, liver, and heart. My Grandmother always wanted the neck. If you grew up with family that didn't waste anything.

This New Year is the time for pork and sauerkraut, for a good year ahead.

I make my stuffing with the gizzard liver and heart like my mom did, the stuffing with some gravy is my favorite part of the Thanksgiving dinner.

• Love 2

From the discussion about what to do with Ricky when he dies.

Cremation is only for those under the weight limit for the crematorium.  Plus, there are some bigger crematorium chambers, but the family would have to pay for transportation costs there, and the cremation cost would be increased.   Also, because of the BTU output, the crematorium is in danger of overheating, so there are a lot of precautions to doing oversized decedents.    The cost also goes up with every additional factor like distance of transport, .  

There is a sad story from Austria where the crematorium overheated, and burned down because of the excessive heat of a larger person.   There is no way Ryan (or Tammy on 1,000 lb Sisters) will be cremated.  I'm not sure they even make coffins big enough, so packing crate, and forklifts will be needed.  

I think the man from Guam who died, Ricky maybe?, had to be buried in what was a reinforced packing crate.    

The state laws may not require coffins, but most cemeteries require a coffin, and a concrete vault, so the ground doesn't cave in.    Whatever happens, Ricky is always going to be a problem for his mother, unless she refuses to claim him, and the state has to do the burial in a pauper's cemetery. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

From the discussion about what to do with Ricky when he dies.

Cremation is only for those under the weight limit for the crematorium.  Plus, there are some bigger crematorium chambers, but the family would have to pay for transportation costs there, and the cremation cost would be increased.   Also, because of the BTU output, the crematorium is in danger of overheating, so there are a lot of precautions to doing oversized decedents.    The cost also goes up with every additional factor like distance of transport, .  

There is a sad story from Austria where the crematorium overheated, and burned down because of the excessive heat of a larger person.   There is no way Ryan (or Tammy on 1,000 lb Sisters) will be cremated.  I'm not sure they even make coffins big enough, so packing crate, and forklifts will be needed.  

I think the man from Guam who died, Ricky maybe?, had to be buried in what was a reinforced packing crate.    

The state laws may not require coffins, but most cemeteries require a coffin, and a concrete vault, so the ground doesn't cave in.    Whatever happens, Ricky is always going to be a problem for his mother, unless she refuses to claim him, and the state has to do the burial in a pauper's cemetery. 

Saw the post you started in Ryan's topic then moved here.

The "Ask a Mortician" YouTube channel posts very informative videos (so says my 25-year-old daughter; the topic gives me the heebie jeebies).

Here's one addressing burial and cremation of the obese:

Dying Fat: Your Funeral Options

Also, Goliath Casket makes super-sized caskets for cremation and burial. Their largest can accommodate a body up to 52" wide, 8 ft. long, weighing up to 1100 lbs.

The company was sold to Paragon Casket in 2020. While they only sell to funeral homes, the Goliath Casket product line can be viewed here:

Goliath Casket, Inc.

I tried - oh, how I tried! - to find the number of crematoriums in the U.S. able to cremate bodies weighing 600+ lbs,

OR

A list of all crematoriums in the U.S. capable of cremating bodies weighing 600+ lbs (I was willing to "hand count" the facilities on the list to arrive at the total number)

OR

The number or list of crematoriums in a specific state capable of cremating bodies weighing 600+ lbs. (I tried using California first, and then New York - but couldn't find the answers to either question for either state. Had checking individual states given me the answers, I was prepared to check every one of the 50 states to arrive at the total number in the U.S.)

I live in Rhode Island, and I can't find whether our tiny state has a large capacity crematorium, or, if we do have one, what the name of the place is. 

Weird. And annoying!

@CrazyInAlabama , I wanted those numbers because you, or perhaps another poster, said crematoriums capable of cremating bodies weighing 600+ are very rare. They very well may be, but without the numbers we really don't know. If we had the numbers, it might be possible to determine if they are rare, based upon the size of the area each crematorium serves.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Took out three references of an unnecessary word

Since I am visiting Mom, she joined me for this show and Too Large tonight.  Just like poundticipants, she thought they were going to hack off all the fat during surgery.  I had to tell her that it's called scalpel, not magic wand. :)

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 7

I bought a cheesecake. I eat this rarely, so it is a real treat. It's in twelve slices so it's been one slice per day and it's shared so it's not like one velvet cake per day. Just how can you eat that? I don't want to know how many calories are in a slice of cheesecake.

When I was watching the very boring Ryan episode, he of the wet wipes, I noticed the cat was always cleaning itself. It probably would stop and think "something still smells" and go back to cleaning.

• LOL 4

My Mom and I shared a slice of white chocolate raspberry cheesecake yesterday.  It was perfect for two of us.  Just got that single slice from the grocery store, they apparently carry Cheesecake Factory slices now, though they quite a bit smaller than I remember seeing in the restaurant (which were absolutely HUGE, took me 2-3 days to finish).   That's the upside of the pandemic - a lot more variety in single-serving desserts available for purchase now...

When I was in pharmacy school, if nothing looked appealing in the cafeteria, I would take a slice of cheesecake and call it lunch.  After all, it's dairy!  

A slice of cheesecake, depending on the ingredients and the size, can be anywhere between ~300 and ~2000 calories.  :)    Definitely not a diet food... but I also don't think it is possible to eat a lot of it in one sitting, it's pretty heavy...   Though after seeing people on this show scarf down an entire box of cupcakes in one sitting, or nearly the entire half-sheet pan of brownies, I wouldn't put anything past a dedicated poundticipant...

• LOL 2

Now I have a bag of Pfeffernüsse (for those not familiar, iced gingerbread cookies), 120 calories for three cookies.

Yeah, @Hellga, I find cheesecake very heavy. It's good, but I could never eat more than a slice at a time.  I find most prepared food has way too much sugar and salt.

When poundicipants complain that they want something tasty, I wonder if they've heard of  seasonings other than salt and sugar? I realize that getting fresh produce can be difficult in certain areas, but I bought a head of cauliflower that was so delicious, tasty, and sweet that was just steamed.

Produce canned or frozen is often fresher than what you can buy in the produce aisle.

Wouldn't it make sense that these people could continue eating the things they (think they) love?  They just need to cut it to ONE serving, not half of the menu, including family-sized orders for every meal.

For most people a "cheat" meal includes something not on the diet plan.  It is NOT a "meal" that would feed a family of four for three days.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Wouldn't it make sense that these people could continue eating the things they (think they) love?  They just need to cut it to ONE serving, not half of the menu, including family-sized orders for every meal.

For most people a "cheat" meal includes something not on the diet plan.  It is NOT a "meal" that would feed a family of four for three days.

Yes! They'd lose weight if they had half a small pizza and three brownies instead of two large and a box of brownies and wings.  I eat things I love in moderation and at their weight it should come off easy (at least the first hundred).

Portion control. Oh, and drinking about 16 oz of water before a meal. And eat some green leafy things.

I loved Dr. Now saying they deliver salads. Yes they do.

• Love 4

Since there was discussion about pastors and their role after last night's episode, I was reminded of the priest I will measure all priests against for the rest of my natural life. And I doubt many will ever come close.

Father Vojislav was a guerilla fighter in Yugoslavia during WWII.  He had two master's degrees (psychology and sociology) and a PhD in Literature in addition to being an ordained priest (and the bishop who ordained him was beatified for extra cool status).  He spoke at least six languages fluently and taught several of them in local schools.  He was the kindest, most compassionate human being who literally build the church from the ground up, both as a congregation and as the building.   He somehow remembered absolutely everyone he met and always had a kind word.   If you needed support, emotional or otherwise, he was there for you.   His services were inspired.  He continued to serve until he turned 90 and his health forced him to stop.  Died only a couple years after his retirement...   Now that is what a man of God is truly like...  May God rest his soul.

Also, a shoutout to hospital chaplains everywhere.  When my Dad entered hospice care, the chaplain was so wonderful... even though Dad is not Christian at all, and Mom and I are a different denomination - who cares, she was offering both great advice and great comfort.  I can't imagine the strain COVID is putting on them.  A friend of mine who works at an inpatient/outpatient facility in Nebraska told me today, they are down to less than 50% of staff overall and only 25% of nurses.  I can't even imagine how they function like that - and Nebraska is comparatively less affected than many other states.  Stay well, everyone!  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5
On 1/13/2022 at 1:17 PM, Hellga said:

A friend of mine who works at an inpatient/outpatient facility in Nebraska told me today, they are down to less than 50% of staff overall and only 25% of nurses.  I can't even imagine how they function like that - and Nebraska is comparatively less affected than many other states.

It's scary and to think of the conditions and lack of staff and nurses (who have been doing way too much as they were understaffed to begin with). Omicron is really bad in Los Angeles and hospitals are full again. Guess who make up the most patients. As for chaplains, can you imagine Ontreon doing anything like that?

• Love 3

Does anyone know if weight loss inspirer Lexi Reed is vaxxed or not.  She has a Go Fund Me page to help with expenses since she is on life support due to covid.  I’d like to know and no one is reporting it.  ……..

UPDATE.  I just read that Lexi Reed claims her illness is NOT covid related!  Says she suddenly became ill, went to ER, was placed on ventilator and her organs began to shut down!  Her kidneys still aren’t working and she’s on dialysis. She has no diagnosis.  She also reports she had no health insurance…..which blows my mind considering how many options there are now days.  Anyway, she’s lucky to be alive and still not out of danger.

Edited by SunnyBeBe

So sad to not have another chance to live chat this week... even though I am literally having an 8am-8pm work day with only two breaks (one of them thanks to a last-minute cancellation of a meeting), I would have loved to decompress with some snark.

As is,  I am sitting here eating an orange.  It's been a while since I had an actual orange, not a tangerine... and I will probably never eat an orange without thinking about this show! 

• Love 4

An orange sounds delicious!  Wish I had one.   I did have a nice dinner of Turkey burger with a side of rice, next to a garden salad and broiled veggies.  Very light and delicious.  

I was up til after 3:3O a.m, this morning….so, I can’t make any promises on live chat.  I will try, though.  

What’s coming on?  I read a very bizarre case will appear on the show Stuck!

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 2/12/2022 at 7:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

UPDATE.  I just read that Lexi Reed claims her illness is NOT covid related!  Says she suddenly became ill, went to ER, was placed on ventilator and her organs began to shut down!  Her kidneys still aren’t working and she’s on dialysis. She has no diagnosis.  She also reports she had no health insurance…..which blows my mind considering how many options there are now days.  Anyway, she’s lucky to be alive and still not out of danger.

Yeah, I'm not convinced. A lot of unvaxxed people deny that their suspiciously covid-esque illnesses aren't covid. Some believe their own BS and die insisting it's lung cancer; some know the truth but won't admit it publicly. Ventilator, dialysis, coma, etc. for a young person whose only known health challenges were metabolic...and someone who makes her living as a health influencer doesn't talk about vax status...yeah. That's the theory I'm going with until proven otherwise.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2022 at 9:52 PM, fonfereksglen said:

Hope everyone is still preparing their A+ recipes on Wednesday nights.  😉

I sure miss the live chats!   At least now through the end of March I have five weeks of Veterinary Pharmacy CE webinars on Wednesdays - which are super interesting since it's a topic I am not really familiar with (who knew cats could develop asthma???).  But not the same...

• Love 3

I stepped on the scale, and I was at the number I said was the limit. I can't mention dieting because I have two people who know I was dangerously thin and that is a scary word if I start limiting.

In horse language, I am what is known as a hard keeper. I can eat a lot and not gain a lot. It's been slowly creeping up and then I'll feel ill and drop 15 lbs. I like to have that cushion.

I've been eating mandarin oranges and just bought grapes, the gateway fruits.

• Love 4

My recent gall bladder removal used a DaVinci, I actually saw it before they gave me happy juice.    The best part is I didn't weigh 600 lbs either.  

However, I found the 30% fat limit for anything I eat to be helpful.    A friend (not one woman in her big family still has a gall bladder) told me to be careful about exceeding that limit unless I enjoy pooping like a volcano. (As they said it Bridesmaids, "It's pouring out of me like Lava" ).    And she also said that some foods simply don't appeal any longer, and she was right.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, katycat74 said:

Ooh, I love Market Basket! But you're right its always a complete zoo. Can't beat the prices tho.

I was really taken aback the first time I went there but I learned to embrace it and now I love it. Its like going in to the arena to face down whatever foe meets my steel. 

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, katycat74 said:

Ooh, I love Market Basket! But you're right its always a complete zoo. Can't beat the prices tho.

I went a couple times after seeing praise for it online but I was unimpressed.  I love Wegmans personally, though I usually go to Price Chopper since it's the closest one to my home, and sometimes Trader Joe's because it's the only one directly on my way home from work, no detours required.

4 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I went a couple times after seeing praise for it online but I was unimpressed.  I love Wegmans personally, though I usually go to Price Chopper since it's the closest one to my home, and sometimes Trader Joe's because it's the only one directly on my way home from work, no detours required.

I usually go to Wegmans (which is at the other end of the shopping center from Target); it's a slight detour but easy to get to on my way home from work. ShopRite is actually closer to my house but I prefer Wegmans usually. We got a TJ's a couple years ago but it's on the wrong side of the highway on my way home so I don't go there much. I like to do my shopping on my way home so I don't have to make a separate trip.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

She is absolutely great, I adore her. She's my son's friend originally, from culinary school, so going back 10 years now. But she's my friend too, now, and I have had SO MUCH FUN since she's been here. 

I do believe  that she will bring snacks along in our Handbasket to Hell

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1