Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Oh, we're doing a "Where Are They Now?" tonight. Maja and Justin. I'll have to look them up 

I liked Justin and hope he’s still doing well.

I also hope that Chrissshhun is still free of Maja.  Don’t really care how she’s doing.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ShoePrincess said:

All this fruit talk is making me crave watermelons and cherries and peaches and berries. Oh my! I don't mind picking berries. My worst summer job was detasseling corn. I still have nightmares about it. Mucking stalls at the local racetrack was a much,  much better job.

I hope to be on time for tonight's snarkfest. DH has a friend who loves to cook and hosts a guys' dinner about once a munt. So I'll be home alone. My eating habit will be Popeye's fried chicken -- dark meat, spicy, with a side of red beans and rice. I'll also be having the demon grapes. In liquid form. Fermented.

See you soon!

I'm sorry for all the fruit talk. Watermelon and cherries and peaches, oh my. And the berries! Popeye's, I will have no judgement, especially the side of red beans and rice.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ShoePrincess said:

. I'll also be having the demon grapes. In liquid form. Fermented.

See you soon!

Oh! Fermented grapes, my favorite! That, along with fermented corn and various other grains

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Try not to think of Dr. Now today, and tomorrow, when you're out buying the 1/2 price Easter candy.     

Now that I've thought about it, I'm not buying any candy if I accidentally walk past it. Allegedly.

• LOL 4

Hey all. In the UK here and quite behind the US - we have access to 12 eps in S05 of WATN, latest M600L ep is Irene’s. Really want to see the Brianne & AJ follow-up!

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Selina said:

Hey all. In the UK here and quite behind the US - we have access to 12 eps in S05 of WATN, latest M600L ep is Irene’s. Really want to see the Brianne & AJ follow-up!

I hope you enjoy it and can see the live chat here. It's enjoyable even if old.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I don't get the obsession with biscuits period. We don't have them in the UK but they look like scones, which I cannot imagine eating for breakfast, especially not four of them. And never with savoury food - if we eat them it's with butter, cream and jam. So no, not healthy 😆

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Selina said:

I don't get the obsession with biscuits period. We don't have them in the UK but they look like scones, which I cannot imagine eating for breakfast, especially not four of them. And never with savoury food - if we eat them it's with butter, cream and jam. So no, not healthy 😆

When we were in the UK on vacation, I fell in love with scones and CLOTTED cream with a bit of jam.  Heaven on earth.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Selina said:

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Biscuits are not sweet, unless you want to put sugar in them, for something like Strawberry Shortcake. 

US biscuits are not sweet; IMO they're like plain bread in their versatility. They are generally served at breakfast, preferably hot out of the oven (swoon!). You can enjoy them with the main course, with or without butter, and yes, they go with gravy. Also you can slather them with honey, or jam, or preserves, or other such sweet delights, as you would with bread or toast as a nice finish to a meal, especially breakfast. I'm not sure how big a scone is; our biscuits tend to be on the smallish side. I may have eaten as many as four once at breakfast at my grandparents' house out in the country; they were hot from the oven and I was young and hungry.   🙂  I don't have them often anymore but a hot fresh flakey biscuit is indeed a treat.

• Love 7
(edited)

My eating habit today was half a leftover Easter cake (and I’m Jewish) and 2 pieces of cold pizza.

I’ve officially gone all assanti 

I started the pandemic at 135 lbs and now have Dr Now on my contacts list

Edited by Wanda
Important to note the pizza wasn’t fresh
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/7/2021 at 7:00 PM, Jeeves said:

hot fresh flakey biscuit is indeed a treat.

Yes!  

I haven't made them in a while, and now that I have read this thread, I started to crave them. 

The Lent is messing up with my eating habit as in I don't even feel like eating because I can't have anything I actually want to eat... and when I do eat, I end up eating more starches and pasta than I normally do.  But if a steak and a salad are filling, fish and salad just aren't cutting it for me.

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Wanda said:

My eating habit today was half a leftover Easter cake (and I’m Jewish) and 2 pieces of cold pizza.

I’ve officially gone all assanti 

I started the pandemic at 135 lbs and now have Dr Now on my contacts list

I keep going up and down with my weight. I did well today, but tomorrow I'll eat an entire bag of Goldfish and chocolate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I bought reduced Easter chocolate which has really messed with my eating habit because I’ve been off work this week with not much to do. Dr Now would hate me - “Eating from boredom is unacceptable” 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2021 at 3:13 PM, Selina said:

One of my fondest memories of our last trip to England was a day of fly fishing on the Lower Itchen River. We had a lunch break and a break for tea later in the afternoon. If that was a proper English tea, I want to do it more often. There were all sorts of pastries, scones with jam and clotted cream, tea, sherry, champagne. Then back to fishing. I caught a couple of nice rainbow trout. It was a wonderful day, and I would love another trip to England that includes another day of fly fishing. I love it! And the clotted cream.

• Love 6
On 4/8/2021 at 5:13 AM, Selina said:

I'm from South Africa, and I didn't understand the concept of "biscuits and gravy" until I went to a great little diner in the States BEST. BREAKFAST. OF . MY . LIFE! I for sure thought biscuits would be just like scones but they are and they aren't... I don't know. Every time I visit the States I gain 10 pounds in a munt... the food is just something else. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

I'm from South Africa, and I didn't understand the concept of "biscuits and gravy" until I went to a great little diner in the States BEST. BREAKFAST. OF . MY . LIFE! I for sure thought biscuits would be just like scones but they are and they aren't... I don't know. Every time I visit the States I gain 10 pounds in a munt... the food is just something else. 

I'm happy you enjoyed your visit. The little diners have the best food! If you are on a highway/freeway, look for where the big rigs are parked, they know where the good food is.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nokat said:

The little diners have the best food!

My Mom still says that the best French onion soup she ever had was at some tiny hole-in-the-wall place in Iowa along the I-80 interstate. 😞  I've been to a lot of middle-of-nowhere teeny little eateries that had fewer than 10 tables... many had great homey food.  Nothing fancy, usually pretty limited menu, but tasty and cheap.  When my Mom and I did a road trip across North Dakota and Wyoming, I felt like I was stealing from them every time I paid my bill - I was so used to NYC prices.  Though even in NYC there is no shortage of places where you can have an excellent meal for under $30. 🙂 

I was driving around checking out the areas where I will be viewing potential condos tomorrow... I was starving so of course I stopped by Wegmans (love that chain to death) to see what I could pick up that I could just eat as soon as I get home, plus milk as I am running short.  Ended up picking up not just a poke bowl and a half-gallon of milk, but $75 worth of stuff including lobster-stuffed mushrooms (yum!) and fancy kind of strawberries (but at least they smell like real strawberries) and yummy fresh bread.  I am kind of glad I don't live close to a Wegmans, because I spend twice as much there as I do at my regular grocery store!   

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Hellga said:

My Mom still says that the best French onion soup she ever had was at some tiny hole-in-the-wall place in Iowa along the I-80 interstate. 😞  I've been to a lot of middle-of-nowhere teeny little eateries that had fewer than 10 tables... many had great homey food.  Nothing fancy, usually pretty limited menu, but tasty and cheap.  When my Mom and I did a road trip across North Dakota and Wyoming, I felt like I was stealing from them every time I paid my bill - I was so used to NYC prices.  Though even in NYC there is no shortage of places where you can have an excellent meal for under $30. 🙂 

I was driving around checking out the areas where I will be viewing potential condos tomorrow... I was starving so of course I stopped by Wegmans (love that chain to death) to see what I could pick up that I could just eat as soon as I get home, plus milk as I am running short.  Ended up picking up not just a poke bowl and a half-gallon of milk, but $75 worth of stuff including lobster-stuffed mushrooms (yum!) and fancy kind of strawberries (but at least they smell like real strawberries) and yummy fresh bread.  I am kind of glad I don't live close to a Wegmans, because I spend twice as much there as I do at my regular grocery store!   

Good luck with the condo shopping. I like being within walking distance of grocery stores and restaurants. Sometimes you just need to treat yourself, and that Wegmans visit sounded delicious. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, nokat said:

Good luck with the condo shopping. I like being within walking distance of grocery stores and restaurants. Sometimes you just need to treat yourself, and that Wegmans visit sounded delicious. 

Thanks!  I used to love living close to the main street, but as I get older, I can't tolerate traffic noise anymore.  I used to live right on the main drag when I was in my 20s and it didn't bother me a bit,  I slept with my windows open...  the added bonus was the ringing of church bells right across the river from my apartment - I adore church bells.   Now I sleep with ear plugs even with my windows closed, and I am a good 100-150 feet away from a main road.  Funny that trains don't bother me at all, just cars.  And birds.  And human voices.  

I literally have just four requirements:  an attached garage, central air, quiet area and a decent-sized bathtub.  I can't for the life of me get why vast majority of bathtubs in the US are so small as to be uncomfortable for anyone taller than 5 feet.  If I ever get to build me a dream house, I will definitely have a proper bathtub installed, 70+ inches long and 25+ deep! 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Thanks!  I used to love living close to the main street, but as I get older, I can't tolerate traffic noise anymore.  I used to live right on the main drag when I was in my 20s and it didn't bother me a bit,  I slept with my windows open...  the added bonus was the ringing of church bells right across the river from my apartment - I adore church bells.   Now I sleep with ear plugs even with my windows closed, and I am a good 100-150 feet away from a main road.  Funny that trains don't bother me at all, just cars.  And birds.  And human voices.  

I literally have just four requirements:  an attached garage, central air, quiet area and a decent-sized bathtub.  I can't for the life of me get why vast majority of bathtubs in the US are so small as to be uncomfortable for anyone taller than 5 feet.  If I ever get to build me a dream house, I will definitely have a proper bathtub installed, 70+ inches long and 25+ deep! 

I'm very noise intolerant too, and have a variety of earplugs. I've become used to the train and the planes and traffic noise and can block out those and the barking dogs. Now I'm thinking of looking for another place to live after saying that. 😄

• Love 1

Hi - I wonder if someone can help me find an episode. I thought I remembered Diana having a small gathering with ladies from her apartment building. If I recall, the ladies were a little dressed up - for their 15 minutes of fame, I assume. I bought the 'Where are the Now?' episode, thinking it was in there, but don't see it. Am I thinking of the wrong person? I looked to see if Diana was in a 3rd episode, but didn't see that, either.

Do I have the right person? This would have been a successful obessee who was enjoying her new life. Thanks.

• Love 1

Yes, it was Diana, and it was the heart warming moment at the end (and it really was) of her WATN.     She had a group over to play Bunco or cards or something.  This was after she hit her goal weight, and had knee replacement on both knees.   

They were playing Pokeno (I have no idea what that is), and it was a WATN Season 6 Episode 19, Diane & Ashley.  

It's been so long since I saw the WATN, that I don't know whether it was before or after the hair salon.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, it was Diana, and it was the heart warming moment at the end (and it really was) of her WATN.     She had a group over to play Bunco or cards or something.  This was after she hit her goal weight, and had knee replacement on both knees.   

They were playing Pokeno (I have no idea what that is), and it was a WATN Season 6 Episode 19, Diane & Ashley.  

That's what I thought, but the last thing for her is the trip to the hair salon. I just went back and practically went frame by frame. Maybe they cut it. Oh well. 

• Love 1

It's Monday, only two days until Angie live chat. I know I'm not the only one whose fingers are twitchy.

I got fruit. Not the devil's gateway grapes but bananas and cantaloupe. If I eat a banana with the brownie I made with whole wheat flour does that count as a well balanced breakfast? Not likely. 

Goldfish were on sale, and I should probably blame Dr. Now because it was 3 for 2, so I now have a lot of Goldfish.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 9
9 hours ago, nokat said:

I don't know how I got down this rabbit hole of looking at Girl Scout cookies. Thin mints, Samoas, Lemon-ups, Trefoils.

It was the fruit. It's not just grapes that are the devil's gateway. Did you have an indulgent fling with the bananas or cantaloupe - or (GASP!!) both in the same day? Heaven knows where that kind of behavior will lead you. . .  😈

• LOL 5
4 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

It was the fruit. It's not just grapes that are the devil's gateway. Did you have an indulgent fling with the bananas or cantaloupe - or (GASP!!) both in the same day? Heaven knows where that kind of behavior will lead you. . .  😈

I did eat cantaloupe yesterday. It'll be cereal and a banana for breakfast. I have to prepare for live chat because you all are fast. Now I'm feeling a bit naughty if I eat both in one day. Thank you. :P

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Oh how adorable. Both of them!

I'd probably buy one of those dolls, especially if I could pull a string and have it say '50 lbs in a munt."

• LOL 3

I've noticed some differences with Primetimer. I like that I can see who reacted, but notices with a huge avatar image is a bit much.

I apologize to anyone who got a huge image of Bill the cat, probably with flies visible.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 5

My eating habit was cruciferous slaw for lunch but the beans I ate might be slugging it out with the cabbage. I'll be in between the bed and the bathroom tonight. TMI, I know. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, Jeeves said:

US biscuits are not sweet; IMO they're like plain bread in their versatility. They are generally served at breakfast, preferably hot out of the oven (swoon!). You can enjoy them with the main course, with or without butter, and yes, they go with gravy. Also you can slather them with honey, or jam, or preserves, or other such sweet delights, as you would with bread or toast as a nice finish to a meal, especially breakfast. I'm not sure how big a scone is; our biscuits tend to be on the smallish side. I may have eaten as many as four once at breakfast at my grandparents' house out in the country; they were hot from the oven and I was young and hungry.   🙂  I don't have them often anymore but a hot fresh flakey biscuit is indeed a treat.

My grandmother made the best biscuits. We tried for years to get a recipe from her, but she’d say, “Add (ingredient) until it looks right,” and “Mix it with your hands until it feels right.”  Needless to say, we could never replicate her magic. We knew her days were coming to a close when she couldn’t make them anymore. :-(. 

I went grocery shopping last night and I bought orange juice.  It's been over a year since I last had it... and the blood of the devil fruit is so, so good.  It's about the only thing I actually want to have, as I am so tired of semi-vegan existence I've been leading for 5,5 weeks now.  Just a few days left, but I feel sick and tired of everything - I think it will be a while before I can look at a crab cake again, and I used to love them.  I bought Jamaican Jerk shrimp and I don't even like jerk spices, just because "at least it's something I *haven't* had a billion times already". 

I need to figure out where and what I am going to have for the oh-so-special Easter meal this Sunday. :) 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I went grocery shopping last night and I bought orange juice.  It's been over a year since I last had it... and the blood of the devil fruit is so, so good.  It's about the only thing I actually want to have, as I am so tired of semi-vegan existence I've been leading for 5,5 weeks now.  Just a few days left, but I feel sick and tired of everything - I think it will be a while before I can look at a crab cake again, and I used to love them.  I bought Jamaican Jerk shrimp and I don't even like jerk spices, just because "at least it's something I *haven't* had a billion times already". 

I need to figure out where and what I am going to have for the oh-so-special Easter meal this Sunday. :) 

Do you do the blessing of the Easter baskets after midnight service and the get together after?

2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Do you do the blessing of the Easter baskets after midnight service and the get together after?

In New York, I usually went for the morning service, because the church is far too small for the population and at midnight, only about 1/3 were able to actually fit inside... the morning service was packed like a rush hour train, but at least you could physically get inside.  In Nebraska and in New Jersey I went to midnight services, yes, and usually brought some eggs for blessings, though I never bake the Easter cake myself (I don't even particularly like eating it... my Mom did once overnight one to me, which was crazy!).  This time around I think the closest church to me that is actually open for services is in New Hampshire, I still have to figure out if you have to sign up or  whatnot...  in New York it's by sign up only... 

The benefit of the midnight service is, of course, that you don't have to fast all morning, but I am not sure what communion would look like in the COVID era or if I would even feel comfortable taking it...   I would like to go in person, if I can, in any case - the Easter service is always so uplifting.  And then go for a nice lunch... 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

In New York, I usually went for the morning service, because the church is far too small for the population and at midnight, only about 1/3 were able to actually fit inside... the morning service was packed like a rush hour train, but at least you could physically get inside.  In Nebraska and in New Jersey I went to midnight services, yes, and usually brought some eggs for blessings, though I never bake the Easter cake myself (I don't even particularly like eating it... my Mom did once overnight one to me, which was crazy!).  This time around I think the closest church to me that is actually open for services is in New Hampshire, I still have to figure out if you have to sign up or  whatnot...  in New York it's by sign up only... 

The benefit of the midnight service is, of course, that you don't have to fast all morning, but I am not sure what communion would look like in the COVID era or if I would even feel comfortable taking it...   I would like to go in person, if I can, in any case - the Easter service is always so uplifting.  And then go for a nice lunch... 

Out big service is midnight actually about 12 pm to 2 am. We bless the Easter baskets  ( and tge red eggs) and everyone breaks the fast then , basically a picnic with everyone sharing what is in their baskets , favorite foods they have missed during the fast. Sunday around noon we have a short service St Thomas ( I think)where a verse is read in every language that we have. Then usually we have a Church wide picnic. 

• Useful 1

I think the liturgy is similar for us at midnight and at 10am, and they read the same letters from the Patriarch and the Metropolitan at both, but the cross procession around the block only happens at midnight.  Not sure whether they always do ringing of the bells for the procession here - can't remember from the one time I attended at midnight in New York, in Nebraska they definitely rang them, no idea about New Hampshire.   

I think the experience really varies between the small parish churches that are more of a community, and big cathedral churches that most people only visit a few times per year for major holidays...  Not sure what it will be like in New Hampshire, but I signed up so I will see.  I contemplated going at midnight, but it's 45 miles and I am not really familiar with the area, so this time at least I will go during daylight hours. 

• Love 1

Happy Easter to all of us of Orthodox persuasion!

I went to a small family-operated Greek restaurant after church since I wanted my first meat-containing meal to be special.  The lamb was excellent (and I think everyone eating in and getting takeout was getting lamb!) but the green beans... If I didn't know better (I do, and I make excellent green beans), I would have decided I don't like green vegetables.  No, these were simply overcooked to death, it's not the vegetable's fault.  

Also, my body seems to have forgotten how filling real food is.  :) I am pretty sure pre-Lent I would have eaten more of what was on my plate, though no way would I have finished all of it. 

• Love 4