Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

We joke about grapes, oranges and sugar free jam, but I just went downstairs for watermelon. I have watermelon juice on my chin. I have a sitcheeashun happening. It was only a pound of watermelon.

• LOL 5
6 hours ago, nokat said:

We joke about grapes, oranges and sugar free jam, but I just went downstairs for watermelon. I have watermelon juice on my chin. I have a sitcheeashun happening. It was only a pound of watermelon.

You're okay.  According to Google:

Because 90 percent of a watermelon's weight is water, it's one of the best fruits to eat if you're trying to lose weight. A 100-gram serving contains only 30 calories. It's also a great source of an amino acid called arginine, which helps burn fat quickly.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

You're okay.  According to Google:

Because 90 percent of a watermelon's weight is water, it's one of the best fruits to eat if you're trying to lose weight. A 100-gram serving contains only 30 calories. It's also a great source of an amino acid called arginine, which helps burn fat quickly.

Thanks for that. It's the wrong time of year for the watermelon that makes my eyes roll back because it's so good, but I still enjoy it off season.

I count down the days until sweet cherry season. I know the local farms and when a harvest is due. We haven't had enough rain though. 😞

• Love 3

I love watermelon and I still have some leftover in my fridge.  But I love almost all fruit (not too fond of the tropical stuff like papaya - far too sweet for me)... I must have been a fruit bat in my past life.  Or it's the fact that in my childhood, there *was* no fruit other than berries and occasional in-season watermelon or grapes... so I have spent the last 25 years eating for the trauma of my first 12 fruit-deprived years! 🙂 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Hellga said:

I love watermelon and I still have some leftover in my fridge.  But I love almost all fruit (not too fond of the tropical stuff like papaya - far too sweet for me)... I must have been a fruit bat in my past life.  Or it's the fact that in my childhood, there *was* no fruit other than berries and occasional in-season watermelon or grapes... so I have spent the last 25 years eating for the trauma of my first 12 fruit-deprived years! 🙂 

I don't usually buy melon or pineapple unless I can smell it before I look. My brother won't eat raspberries because we spent every other day in the summer picking them.  I still love berries even after picking them, except for strawberries. They always gave me a rash. 

I'm laughing at fruit bat, because those are the cutest things ever.

1 hour ago, nokat said:

I don't usually buy melon or pineapple unless I can smell it before I look. My brother won't eat raspberries because we spent every other day in the summer picking them.  I still love berries even after picking them, except for strawberries. They always gave me a rash. 

I have spent my summer picking berries - both garden and wild (and if you haven't been eaten alive by mosquitoes while picking wild bilberries or eaten alive by black flies or roasting alive in summer heat while climbing through broken tree trunks and stinging nettles for wild raspberries - you haven't picked berries!) and I love both picking them and eating them.   It was funny how my brother always hated picking gooseberries because he said they scratched him, he even tried picking in motorcycle gloves once... I never had issues.  I was just more careful and more patient!

I have thankfully never had an adverse reaction to fruit.  Even when I ate nearly 20 pounds of tangerines in the course of two days...  Or a two-gallon bucket of sour cherries in the course of an evening as a teen.  Those were the days... 🙂 

I'm laughing at fruit bat, because those are the cutest things ever.

Of course they are!  And I am sure their fur is super soft, like a hamster's, though I never had a chance to pet one...  

0edcb548e9c6b9cbc6daab1162e23d5c.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

I have spent my summer picking berries - both garden and wild (and if you haven't been eaten alive by mosquitoes while picking wild bilberries or eaten alive by black flies or roasting alive in summer heat while climbing through broken tree trunks

So you know the pleasure of picking your own fruit. :) It does make you appreciate it. We had to get to the blueberries before the bears ate them all.

• Love 1

I literally squeal when I go to the orchard to pick peaches - real, live peaches hanging on real, live trees!  🙂

My parents and grandparents also grew their own vegetables so I know how to grow potatoes, carrots, cabbages, beets, squash, turnips, tomatoes (greenhouse and open air), cucumbers (greenhouse and open air), peas, greens...  lots of cold-climate stuff, basically.  My birthday happened to be right around the time you would normally be hoeing potatoes, so it was always 'first you spend the day hoeing potatoes, then you may have your party in the evening'.  It wasn't bad, though, the bad part was having to pick off potato beetle larvae off potatoes and cabbage moth larvae off cabbages. I refused to do it with my bare hands!  Those things are yucky.  But nothing tastes better than things you literally just pulled out of the ground or off the plant five seconds before eating... 🙂 

• Love 5
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Hellga said:

pick off potato beetle larvae off potatoes

Those were put in a can and lit on fire.

I grew up a lot like you. Following behind my dad and dropping in potatoes, or corn kernels. Picking fruit in season, wild or cultivated.

I do joke a bit that you want me in your corner if there is an apocalypse, because I know how to grow and can food.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Those were put in a can and lit on fire.

Yes!  In some kerosene.  

I can also reap oats with a handheld sickle and grind them on a stone grinder into a coarse oatmeal! 🙂  We didn't own one but a neighbor did, it was fun.  Then cook the said oats in an earthenware pot in a wood-burning oven... with lots of fresh homemade butter from my great-aunt's cows...

I did try to learn to milk goats but I failed.  The goats looked miserable when I tried, and I liked them too much.  Grandma kept goats, pigs and angora rabbits (I can pluck those, their back hair comes out in clumps and doesn't hurt them a bit, they do look funny with bare backs while everything else is fuzzy).  Grandma knew how to shear sheep too, and clean the wool and spin the yarn (and knit, of course).  She didn't know how to weave anymore, my great-grandmothers did, though.  I can only sew a little and knit a little... I fail at survivorship compared to my great-grandparents who basically lived off the land on their homesteads, only buying salt and a bit of sugar (mostly they used honey from their own bees) and things like cotton fabric (linen and wool was homegrown) or metal instruments and gunpowder and such...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Yes!  In some kerosene.  

I can also reap oats with a handheld sickle and grind them on a stone grinder into a coarse oatmeal! 🙂  We didn't own one but a neighbor did, it was fun.  Then cook the said oats in an earthenware pot in a wood-burning oven... with lots of fresh homemade butter from my great-aunt's cows...

I did try to learn to milk goats but I failed.  The goats looked miserable when I tried, and I liked them too much.  Grandma kept goats, pigs and angora rabbits (I can pluck those, their back hair comes out in clumps and doesn't hurt them a bit, they do look funny with bare backs while everything else is fuzzy).  Grandma knew how to shear sheep too, and clean the wool and spin the yarn (and knit, of course).  She didn't know how to weave anymore, my great-grandmothers did, though.  I can only sew a little and knit a little... I fail at survivorship compared to my great-grandparents who basically lived off the land on their homesteads, only buying salt and a bit of sugar (mostly they used honey from their own bees) and things like cotton fabric (linen and wool was homegrown) or metal instruments and gunpowder and such...

Trading with neighbors, that happened. I feel like I shouldn't tell you about plucking chickens.  Trading your extra produce, or if you got lucky with a deer, you traded. 

I'm laughing a bit at milking goats. Cows are easier. I have no judgement about tugging those teats.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Hellga said:

I have spent my summer picking berries - both garden and wild (and if you haven't been eaten alive by mosquitoes while picking wild bilberries or eaten alive by black flies or roasting alive in summer heat while climbing through broken tree trunks and stinging nettles for wild raspberries - you haven't picked berries!) and I love both picking them and eating them.   It was funny how my brother always hated picking gooseberries because he said they scratched him, he even tried picking in motorcycle gloves once... I never had issues.  I was just more careful and more patient!

I have thankfully never had an adverse reaction to fruit.  Even when I ate nearly 20 pounds of tangerines in the course of two days...  Or a two-gallon bucket of sour cherries in the course of an evening as a teen.  Those were the days... 🙂 

Of course they are!  And I am sure their fur is super soft, like a hamster's, though I never had a chance to pet one...  

0edcb548e9c6b9cbc6daab1162e23d5c.gif

I keep looking at that face.It keeps making my day better.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nokat said:

I've been emptying out my freezer and fridge. Grilled cheese or vegetable soup? I'm thinking both.

Wait a minute . . . I thought it was like a law or something that the only soup you could have with a grilled cheese sandwich was tomato soup.  School cafeterias, Applebee's . . . all the fine dining places serve it that way.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Wait a minute . . . I thought it was like a law or something that the only soup you could have with a grilled cheese sandwich was tomato soup.  School cafeterias, Applebee's . . . all the fine dining places serve it that way.

I intensely dislike tomato soup and I am pretty sure I have never had a grilled cheese sandwich.  I need to find a place which serves grilled cheese without tomato soup. 🙂 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Barbara Corcoran on Shark Tank actually invested in a Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup fast casual place called Tom and Chee.   So that's another vote for grilled cheese and tomato soup. 

You are all going to shame me for daring to have some vegetable soup instead of tomato? :P I have made my own tomato soup but I'm not really a fan.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 3

I had two 600 Lb-esque moments this week.  One night, right when I was getting in bed, a man stopped on my front steps and was howling, "Ow, my leg!"  Sure, it was no "Ow, mah layyg!!!", but I felt that the spirit of James K. lives on.  I called 911 in case he needed help but he limped off after a few minutes. 

Second, I was at the hospital on Thursday getting a lumbar injection. They made quite the show out of it.  When they wheeled me into the room for the injection on the gurney, there were six people.  All I could think is I'm packing a spare 20 pounds, not a spare 420.  Is Dr. Now waiting in there?  I'd like to keep my stomach.  He can fondle someone else's! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Hellga said:

I intensely dislike tomato soup and I am pretty sure I have never had a grilled cheese sandwich.  I need to find a place which serves grilled cheese without tomato soup. 🙂 

We had chicken noodle soup (just the boxed stuff) and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner tonight, a common meal in our house in the cooler months.

• Love 4

ON 3/5/2021 AT 6:11 PM, MITTSIGIRL SAID:

Years ago, I got very sick with a rare illness, and came home after 4 months in the hospital, still paralyzed from my waist, down, so was still in a wheelchair. All 3 drugstores in town were not user friendly for wheelchairs, narrow doorways, double doors that you had to open yourself, and you would think that a drug store, of all places, would be wheelchair friendly! It was shocking to me. But Dr. Now should definitely know better!

I wish I had noticed this previously. I don't need a wheelchair, but I use a rollator. I have relied on the kindness of strangers to open doors for me. A drugstore is a place you would expect to have doors that would open automatically.  Most places are "required" to be wheelchair friendly but they really aren't. You can find the ramp or the parking space not occupied by a SUV.

I park on the far side of the parking lot so I don't get a car so close to me I can't get in. That has happened to me and some nice man had to back my car out so I could get in with my back brace on.

That should probably be in Small Talk. I don't know how to move it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tomorrow's show star is Irene.   One of my father's favorite songs was "Goodnight, Irene".    Guess what I'm going have running through my head for days?    

My grandmother's name was Irene. She hated that song. 

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

My grandmother's name was Irene. She hated that song. 

I hope she wasn't over 600 lbs.  I'm not having high hopes for Irene after this season.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Her name's Irene and she apparently has a grown/caretaker son, so she's older. The older ones are NEVER successful. Not that that would be any surprise after this season's parade of abject failures.

Well, last season was pretty unimpressive as well.  I am going thru the mail, and JT/Julius from last spring is on and so far I am not remembering him.   He does appear to have butt wings.

5 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Her name's Irene and she apparently has a grown/caretaker son, so she's older. The older ones are NEVER successful. Not that that would be any surprise after this season's parade of abject failures.

I think there was one older woman - Diane, I think? - who was well into her 40s if not 50s and she did very well...

I do hope for a success this season.  And I hope tonight will be a good one.  I have barely slept this night, I had to finish some stuff for work... so I risk falling asleep during the episode.  I also have a major presentation tomorrow morning...  depending on when I get revised slides, I am risking another late nighter but work shalt not stand between me and my chat friends! 

I am just not having a good day in any case.  I saw a mouse scurry across the floor this morning, and the cheese tray that was supposed to come for a work event tomorrow is MIA - either stolen from the lobby by a stranger or from the mail room by another building resident.  Meh.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 2

A hint about mice capturing.   I get the mouse traps with the picture of the mouse on it (Tom's maybe?), and bait with chunky peanut butter.  The mice really have to struggle to get to the bait, and trigger the trap.   I also put the traps along the bottom of the cabinets, or wall, and I put two together, so if one misses, the other nails them.    

18 hours ago, Hellga said:

I am just not having a good day in any case.  I saw a mouse scurry across the floor this morning, and the cheese tray that was supposed to come for a work event tomorrow is MIA - either stolen from the lobby by a stranger or from the mail room by another building resident.  Meh.

Also, if you have any visible holes, or can find any, fill them with steel wool!

On 3/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I had to check that we were talking about mice here and not poundticipants! 😳

Well, we did get to see a blurred hole. A good tip though about steel wool.

• LOL 2

Hey you buncha bastards.

I've been binge watching this on Hulu non-stop--how have I missed this glorious trash for so many years? I think I was worried it was just going to be laughing at fat people.

I rarely laugh, though I do a lot of yelling.

I think what surprises me the most is what appears to be a shared delusion that you need to slowly taper off junk food in order not to risk "shocking" the body. Like, THIS is the health concern. Not the congestive heart failure, not the elephant leg syndrome, not the horrific skin infections, but the trauma of removing big macs too fast.

"I'm trying soooo hard, I just made a few moderations because I felt the shock to my system would be too much." *camera pans to two empty buckets of blurry kfc*

Other favorites:

Or, "I think I don't eat that much, I just don't know what to eat. Dr. Now didn't give me any tools." *see detailed grocery list, meal plan, nutritionist, therapist, PT*

*Or "I have no idea why I stopped losing weight after I left the hospital...the program doesn't work...I followed it to a T just a few moderations since 800 calories seemed extreme...*moderates from 800 calories to 20,800*

"The scale is broken"

"The nurse is reading the scale wrong"

"I know I lost weight because I can reach my vagina"

"I know I lost at least 100 pounds, my clothes are looser" *clothes = a bedsheet*

"Dr. Now's diet doesn't work, the program failed me*

"I'm just putting on muscle...the rest is water weight...my slightly less morbidly obese care taker says she can tell I lost weight so I think Dr. Now is being really unfair."

I truly applaud those who were willing to say they fucked up and then gave it another, real shot. Or I would if anyone would ever admit it.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Saw an ad this morning about an open MRI, saying they were able to accommodate “the most difficult patients”.  My brain immediately translated this to “super-morbidly-obese”.  I watch too much of this show.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

Saw an ad this morning about an open MRI, saying they were able to accommodate “the most difficult patients”.  My brain immediately translated this to “super-morbidly-obese”.  I watch too much of this show.

They are aimed more at people who are claustrophobic.  They still have weight restrictions.  Some of the poundticipants would never be able to slide in unless they were stripped naked and greased up.  They would be flattened.  😳 😬

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

They are aimed more at people who are claustrophobic.  They still have weight restrictions.  Some of the poundticipants would never be able to slide in unless they were stripped naked and greased up.  They would be flattened.  😳 😬

According to "Dr. Google":  Outpatient open MRI scanners typically accommodate larger weight limits, but produce lower-quality images. However, manufacturers have now developed high-quality MRI scanners that can accommodate patients up to 550 pounds.

So they're still no good for Dr. Now's pre-diet-to-allow-surgery patients.

• Love 1

Some open MRIs accommodate up to 650 lbs.  Wide bore MRIs typically accommodate up to 550 lbs.  They have a 70 cm diameter.  Old closed MRIs have a 50-60 cm diameter.  Traditional open MRIs have what look like two large plates that the person slides between (the newer versions are more open but still have that general design). For these folks, they might still be challenged to fit between the plates. I have trouble fitting my shoulders into a traditional MRI.  Poundticipants are often so large that regardless of the weight limit they won't fit.  Heck, some of them couldn't fit a leg in. 

• Love 2

Then Dr. Now has had to send some to the hospital for procedures (the stomach balloon placement), I think it was Janine from Seattle, because his office Xray couldn't see through her abdomen.     Then, Erica couldn't fit in the hospital CAT scan machine on the follow up, or actually it was her second followup, episode.   

On 3/27/2021 at 2:37 PM, snarkish said:

As I mentioned in live chat, I am the same height as Chrystal. I weigh 180 pounds (NOT happy with that, as I regained 16 that I lost during the early lockdown last year). Let me explain how hard it is to find pants in size 14/16 when you have a 25 inch inseam...basically non-existent and capri pants are your best friend, unless you feel like spending a lot on alterations for every pair of pants you buy. Today I went to three stores to find myself a pair of active capri leggings in size XL that were short enough for me. How the Hell she finds any "pants" is a miracle. I wish they would make petite/women's sizes. There's a lot of us little meatballs rolling around!

This!  I weight about 10 lbs less than you and am the same height, with maybe a slightly longer inseam.  It is so hard to find things that fit the way they are supposed to.  I can hem pants, but I'm bad about making them shorter than I intend to.  Most of my XL workout pants are several inches too long, which actually doesn't matter in a barre class.  Why do inseams get longer as the size gets bigger?  Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I'm miraculously taller.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I've allowed myself to put back on the ten pounds I lost while being sick. Why? Because I lost ten pounds in four days. That extra ten pounds keeps me from getting dangerously underweight. 

• Love 3

All this fruit talk is making me crave watermelons and cherries and peaches and berries. Oh my! I don't mind picking berries. My worst summer job was detasseling corn. I still have nightmares about it. Mucking stalls at the local racetrack was a much,  much better job.

I hope to be on time for tonight's snarkfest. DH has a friend who loves to cook and hosts a guys' dinner about once a munt. So I'll be home alone. My eating habit will be Popeye's fried chicken -- dark meat, spicy, with a side of red beans and rice. I'll also be having the demon grapes. In liquid form. Fermented.

See you soon!

• Love 3