Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, auntjess said:

I do feel cheated that they're trying to make more money, over and above what I pay for them on cable.

Isn't that the truth! You can now only get restaurant impossible on discovery+.  We pay to get the Food Network on our cable subscription. That is not a new show that is an existing Food Network show.

• Love 1

I have a bag of grapes in my fridge!  But tonight my fruit of choice will be bartlett pears that finally reached that just right degree of ripeness.  And there is beef stew finishing up in the crockpot.  For some reason, I have a lot of trouble with stews, they never turn out just right for me...  but I keep trying and finally I will get there!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OoogleEyes said:

"Damn grapes" she said, while reaching for another one.

It's not faaaaiiiirrr! They are so cute and sweet and make the perfect little snack.

Refrigerator cold grapes are delicious. If you don't follow them with three pizzas and an entire brownie pan.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

I have a bag of grapes in my fridge!  But tonight my fruit of choice will be bartlett pears that finally reached that just right degree of ripeness.  And there is beef stew finishing up in the crockpot.  For some reason, I have a lot of trouble with stews, they never turn out just right for me...  but I keep trying and finally I will get there!

I'm more of a fan of concorde pears. The stew sounds delicious.

2 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

"Damn grapes" she said, while reaching for another one.

It's not faaaaiiiirrr! They are so cute and sweet and make the perfect little snack.

Okay, ya'll, I went to the grocery store today, and I'm proud to report that I was strong, and smart. I wasn't seduced by the allure of those cute round grapes all snuggled up in a handy bunch, attractively displayed in a tempting mound in the produce section.

A less well-informed shopper might have fallen for them, but thanks to M600PL and you Pounders? I'm on to their tricks. I smirked as I pushed my cart past those sneaky little bastards without even pausing to read the price card. Heh. They were foiled again!

I came home with cherries. In a sweet sauce, artistically adorning the top of a piece of high-class cheesecake. 

I showed those grapes who's boss! 😎

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 1/22/2021 at 5:37 PM, nokat said:

I'm not doing Discovery+. They have been so pushy and annoying.

Please indulge me.  I'm inundated by CONSTANT, almost UNINTERRUPTED promos for Discovery +.  Would someone explain to me what this "streaming service" is and what the point is of introducing this "pay for play" station?  I understand Discovery wants to make a lot of $$$; however, I'm not clear on whether the regular roster of shows we all know and enjoy will still be available as we're accustomed to seeing them???  Is the point that you don't need the cable to see these shows but only have to see them for a fee?  Would appreciate an explanation as if you were talking to a first grader...😄

• Love 3
4 hours ago, nokat said:

I'm more of a fan of concorde pears. The stew sounds delicious.

I like all pears except anjou.    I have read that there is an experimental orchard where they test breed new varieties of pears, and they have some 2,000 different kinds on premises.   I think it's somewhere in Oregon...  I would so volunteer to be a taste tester there!   But just for a day or two, I wouldn't want to lose taste for one of my favorite fruits through overdoing it.

Stew turned out with great texture (which is already a small victory) but taste is off again.  Still some unpleasant sour notes that just don't go with a stew for me (I don't mind them with ground beef dishes but I do with chunky stews!)  I will have to really think about what to modify spice-wise for the next time, but I am pretty sure I will skip tomato paste.  I also had to use chicken stock instead of beef stock because that's all I had on hand.  I just read a book about tastes, how we perceive them, and how they work together or against each other, over the holidays.  It had a page on how to fix the 'off' tastes but I forgot to take a picture of it before I returned the book to the library.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

I like all pears except anjou.    I have read that there is an experimental orchard where they test breed new varieties of pears, and they have some 2,000 different kinds on premises.   I think it's somewhere in Oregon...  I would so volunteer to be a taste tester there!   But just for a day or two, I wouldn't want to lose taste for one of my favorite fruits through overdoing it.

Stew turned out with great texture (which is already a small victory) but taste is off again.  Still some unpleasant sour notes that just don't go with a stew for me (I don't mind them with ground beef dishes but I do with chunky stews!)  I will have to really think about what to modify spice-wise for the next time, but I am pretty sure I will skip tomato paste.  I also had to use chicken stock instead of beef stock because that's all I had on hand.  I just read a book about tastes, how we perceive them, and how they work together or against each other, over the holidays.  It had a page on how to fix the 'off' tastes but I forgot to take a picture of it before I returned the book to the library.

I'm pretty basic with stew. Onion, garlic, celery, salt and pepper with carrots and potatoes and beef. Goulash I do with tomato.

Speaking of tastes, I was kind of a super smeller/taster before covid. I didn't like spicy food. Basic food tasted good to me without a lot of spice, but I knew how to use spices to improve the food. I'm also one of the people who hates cilantro. It tastes foul to me.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Please indulge me.  I'm inundated by CONSTANT, almost UNINTERRUPTED promos for Discovery +.  Would someone explain to me what this "streaming service" is and what the point is of introducing this "pay for play" station?  I understand Discovery wants to make a lot of $$$; however, I'm not clear on whether the regular roster of shows we all know and enjoy will still be available as we're accustomed to seeing them???  Is the point that you don't need the cable to see these shows but only have to see them for a fee?  Would appreciate an explanation as if you were talking to a first grader...😄

I have limited information and a little experience. A streaming service is something you subscribe to, which allows you to view video content over the internet. You can view it on your computer, or your smartphone, or a tablet (like an iPad or Android tablet). If you have a "smart TV" or a streaming device (Roku, Amazon fire stick, and others), you can view the content on your TV set. Netflix, AFAIK, is the streaming service that most people probably know about, but now there are MANY others. 

I subscribe to a handful of streaming services, more of them now than pre-pandemic.

As I mentioned in my post above, I recently got a free subscription to Discovery+ when I signed up for Verizon mobile phone service. As it happens, I also recently cut TV from my Xfinity package, and signed up for YouTube TV which gives me most of the cable channels I usually watch, at a savings of $70 a month.

I'm finding that Discovery+ gives me access to DIY Channel shows, which is good because YouTube TV doesn't include that channel. I haven't explored all the content on Discovery+, but it's a LOT.

Discovery+ has some content that isn't available on the various Discovery cable channels. I'm not sure how much there is of it. I don't pay attention to most of the TLC channel's "weird people living bizarre lives" shows except M600PL, so I don't know if Discovery+ is offering any exclusive content for any of those series that isn't available on the TLC cable channel.

I know that Discovery+ has a new series narrated by Joe Kenda about murder cases, which is not being offered on Discovery's ID channel. 

If I still had cable TV I would probably not pay the six bucks a month for Discovery+ as well. However, I may keep it when my free subscription ends if I haven't resumed cable TV. We'll see. I think Discovery+ is rubbing people the wrong way because when we're already paying for cable TV, which is supposed to include the Discovery channels, they are now poking at us to pay another six bucks a month to watch programs they are withholding from their cable channels. IMO that's irritating AF. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Okay, ya'll, I went to the grocery store today, and I'm proud to report that I was strong, and smart. I wasn't seduced by the allure of those cute round grapes all snuggled up in a handy bunch, attractively displayed in a tempting mound in the produce section.

A less well-informed shopper might have fallen for them, but thanks to M600PL and you Pounders? I'm on to their tricks. I smirked as I pushed my cart past those sneaky little bastards without even pausing to read the price card. Heh. They were foiled again!

I came home with cherries. In a sweet sauce, artistically adorning the top of a piece of high-class cheesecake. 

I showed those grapes who's boss! 😎

It is so nice to have you back!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I know several people who cut the cord, and then went to streaming services.    They found out that paying for ad free, and various streaming services for everyone's interests, that they actually are paying more than they were before.     I'm guessing that the streaming requires internet?  Some have recently been told by the cable company they get internet through, that they now have a monthly cap, and will have to pay a lot for going over that.   With remote work, and remote learning, combined with all of the streaming services, they're using a lot of band width. 

I'm wondering if some of the reruns will end up back on the regular channels eventually for Discovery/HGTV?     Magnolia stuff, including Joanna's cooking show, and the new season of 10 to 15 Fixer Uppers are supposed to end up on Magnolia Network (formerly DIY) this year.   So, I wonder if the network will launch, or if they'll stay streaming?   It will be interesting to find out.    

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I know several people who cut the cord, and then went to streaming services.    They found out that paying for ad free, and various streaming services for everyone's interests, that they actually are paying more than they were before.     I'm guessing that the streaming requires internet?  Some have recently been told by the cable company they get internet through, that they now have a monthly cap, and will have to pay a lot for going over that.   With remote work, and remote learning, combined with all of the streaming services, they're using a lot of band width. 

I'm wondering if some of the reruns will end up back on the regular channels eventually for Discovery/HGTV?     Magnolia stuff, including Joanna's cooking show, and the new season of 10 to 15 Fixer Uppers are supposed to end up on Magnolia Network (formerly DIY) this year.   So, I wonder if the network will launch, or if they'll stay streaming?   It will be interesting to find out.    

Yes, streaming requires an internet connection. When I called Xfinity (aka Comcast) to explore my options, I specifically discussed the internet situation. I had TV, phone, and internet service with them, and cut it back to internet and phone. (I keep my landline because it's hooked into our condo building entry system, AND as the phone number I routinely provide to businesses, etc., it draws the zillions of scam calls that would otherwise go to my mobile number.)

I have great internet speed and reliability with Xfinity, so no complaints. I can't remember the deets, but on that call I had the CSR look up my total data usage per month. That showed that even with all the streaming and working from home that I do (and I have been WFH since February with intensive online usage), my total monthly usage hasn't come anywhere near the level I'd have to hit to experience any slowdown in the connection. IIRC it's not a "cap," but once your monthly usage hits a certain level they may slow you down.  I was already getting a high speed deal from them but ended up bumping it up a bit - they said they no longer offer the precise speed I was at, and I could either bump it down a bit or up a bit, so I chose to go bigger, lol. 

About 8 years ago I also cut the cable TV cord, just keeping the internet (didn't have phone on the cable service then). There were fewer streaming services available at the time. In order to keep up with my handful of "must see" cable shows I often bought episodes or seasons, from either iTunes or Amazon Prime Video. I think I still came out ahead financially over just getting cable TV, but the nickel-and-diming did add up. I went back to cable when I got a good package which also let me move my landline number over to a TV/internet/cable package. I'm lucky that the Xfinity/Comcast service here has worked well for me. I remember when I was thinking about moving to a city in another state, I researched the internet/cable TV services available there, and was NOT impressed. They compared very unfavorably to what I have.

ETA: What's available now, that wasn't when I cut out cable TV years ago, are the streaming cable TV package alternatives. I'm now using YouTube TV, which costs half of the monthly cable TV package I used to have, and gives me most of the cable channels I usually watch. There's also Hulu Live, which I also considered (I know people who dropped cable TV for it and are happy).  I think there's also Sling. I decided to go with one of these services because I do like watching certain cable TV channels, but wanted a better price.

I also get great over-the-air reception of broadcast channels, and being in a big metro area there are a LOT of broadcast channels. And I watch quite a bit of OTA things, besides local news and weather. The sub-channels I get include the True Crime Network, Dabl, Court TV Mystery channel, and Court TV channel. [I have amplified indoor antennas on my TVs and great signals on most channels.  A matter of lucky location IMO.]

Edited by Jeeves
On 1/22/2021 at 5:42 PM, Jeeves said:

I saw several negative comments around here, I think mostly on episode threads, about Discovery+. I totally get that. I felt that way too, and the hard sell for it on every. dang, show, is annoying AF.

But then, I did two things. (1) I dumped cable TV and subscribed to YouTube TV instead, which saved me like $70 a month and gave me access to most of the channels I watched on cable TV (but not the DIY network, and not Discovery Life which although it's repeats often had shows I liked seeing again). (2) switched to Verizon for my mobile phone service, and that came with a complimentary year of Discovery+ and a complimentary year of DIsney+, Hulu and I think ESPN+. Yep. So I've got Discovery+ now. Free for a year, and it's helping to supplement some of the stuff I lost access to when I cut the cable TV cord.

I will say, it seems to have a deep bench of old shows, and it's got more to offer than just the TLC lineup of weirdness and icky people. There's a lot of DIY network stuff. I had a marvelous binge-watch of Salvage Dawgs the other night, and have added several DIY shows to. my watchlist. Along with Dr. Pimple Popper. I don't hate everything on TLC, lol. 

And I'll say, ya'll, I tried to start watching M600PL again this evening. Starting with Samantha's story, set right here in Denver. And - I just can't with this show anymore. Maybe another time, but I just can't bear watching - or listening to - another supermorbidly obese person. I've really enjoyed your witty and fabulous companionship during live chats, so maybe I'll show up for one of those. But for now I've noped out of watching any more episodes of this show unless I have adult supervision, i.e., my fellow Pounders during a live chat. 

Peace to all.

I've looked into doing internet only. I'm actually a heavy user of the internet, so the triple of landline, internet and cable is a better price. I watch for free weeks of streaming services, and make sure I cancel before the week ends.  I like that I can get streaming for a month at a time if I want to binge something.

• Love 1

I'm kind of doing the intermittent fasting. You have 16 hours of fasting and then an 8 hour window to eat. I'm pretty sure the pancake, bacon, and pasta I've eaten aren't supposed to be in those hours. I've actually dropped some of the covid-19 weight. Unlike poundicipants, I do know about colorful vegetables and how to make them tasty. I also practice portion control. Not having to fit in my work clothes hasn't helped.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, nokat said:

I'm kind of doing the intermittent fasting. You have 16 hours of fasting and then an 8 hour window to eat. I'm pretty sure the pancake, bacon, and pasta I've eaten aren't supposed to be in those hours. I've actually dropped some of the covid-19 weight. Unlike poundicipants, I do know about colorful vegetables and how to make them tasty. I also practice portion control. Not having to fit in my work clothes hasn't helped.

I started counting calories (no more than 1,200 per day) on January 8.  So far, I'm down 4.5 pounds.  I'd probably do better if I "upped" my veggies and cut out some carbs, but we do all our shopping via curbside pickup, so it's not easy to keep veggies fresh in the fridge for the entire time between grocery orders.  And exercise hasn't been happening much either.  No whining, no complaining . . . just admitting.

If I can do it at 74 without having 400 excess pounds to lose, the 600-pounders should show a lot more weight lost if they stick to the plan.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

A streaming service is something you subscribe to, which allows you to view video content over the internet. You can view it on your computer, or your smartphone, or a tablet (like an iPad or Android tablet). If you have a "smart TV" or a streaming device (Roku, Amazon fire stick, and others), you can view the content on your TV set. Netflix, AFAIK, is the streaming service that most people probably know about, but now there are MANY others. 

Do you have DVR ability on the streaming services?  I don't watch "live TV .I record all shows so I can FF through commercials.  

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Do you have DVR ability on the streaming services?  I don't watch "live TV .I record all shows so I can FF through commercials.  

Depends on the streaming service. Most of them offer pre-recorded programming, so you can watch it whenever you want after they release it. Discovery+ is that way.

The "cable alternative" services are all different. YouTube TV allows me to add shows to my "library" which means episodes are recorded as they are shown, and I can watch them later. So far the ones I've watched have allowed me to FF through commercials. Not sure if those settings apply to all shows. I don't know how Hulu Live or Sling operate in that respect.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The "cable alternative" services are all different. YouTube TV allows me to add shows to my "library" which means episodes are recorded as they are shown, and I can watch them later. So far the ones I've watched have allowed me to FF through commercials. Not sure if those settings apply to all shows. I don't know how Hulu Live or Sling operate in that respect.

Thanks for the info. 

I would say the most HORRENDOUS TV experience I have had is to miss recording an episode of a show I like, 600 LB LIFE, for example, and then going to On Demand to catch it and having to "endure" banks and banks and banks of commercials that destroy any integrity of the show per se.

As you mention, "sometimes" On Demand allows FF but sometimes they do not...sometimes they have fewer commercials, sometimes they allow FF for a portion of the show...on and on and on....it's like their programmers try to haphazardly (and intentionally) prioritize their advertisers over the viewer.  Add to that my cable bundle expense, and it is exasperating!!  I learned my lesson and automatically record ALL show series that I'm interested in watching.

I am inclined to "watch and wait" with this Discovery + HUGE rollout and see how viewers react (message boards).  I'm spending so much for my cable service (Cox) and have to re-negotiate my annual bundle shortly, so there's that....not fun!!

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I started counting calories (no more than 1,200 per day) on January 8.  So far, I'm down 4.5 pounds.  I'd probably do better if I "upped" my veggies and cut out some carbs, but we do all our shopping via curbside pickup, so it's not easy to keep veggies fresh in the fridge for the entire time between grocery orders.  And exercise hasn't been happening much either.  No whining, no complaining . . . just admitting.

If I can do it at 74 without having 400 excess pounds to lose, the 600-pounders should show a lot more weight lost if they stick to the plan.

Congratulations on the 4.5 pounds.  I try to limit my carbs but not eliminate them. Yes, the poundicipants could lose a lot of weight (more than we would) just sticking to the plan.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, nokat said:

Speaking of tastes, I was kind of a super smeller/taster before covid. I didn't like spicy food. Basic food tasted good to me without a lot of spice, but I knew how to use spices to improve the food. I'm also one of the people who hates cilantro. It tastes foul to me.

I love spices and blending them together to make something unique every time.  And I do like a moderate amount of heat - so long as it accentuates the taste and doesn't overpower it. 

I used to dislike cilantro when I was young, but after trying Mexican food I developed an appreciation for it - though only in Mexican dishes.  'Soapy' taste of cilantro is actually a genetic thing, separate from 'supertaster'/acuteness of taste perception.  So is tasting some greens as super-bitter...  but it is very hard to separate ability to perceive bitterness/heat from ability to tolerate bitterness/heat because it's so overlaid by the cultural beliefs in whether something is good or good for you...  like I can taste that something is bitter but enjoy it because it is bitter, not because I can't taste bitterness.   

4 minutes ago, nokat said:

Congratulations on the 4.5 pounds.  I try to limit my carbs but not eliminate them. Yes, the poundicipants could lose a lot of weight (more than we would) just sticking to the plan.

I think every single one who said that their goals were impossible, if they did actually gave it an honest try, lost a lot more than their goal amount.  Too many don't even try... maybe for some people who just give up rather than try anything remotely difficult would benefit from 'take it easy' approach of losing 10-20 pounds a month but at their weight it would be so long to get them anywhere that they may not survive it (their body is already strained to the brink) and also Dr. Now probably doesn't feel like babying them for years and it would make for horribly boring TV to boot...  so even if it does happen in real life we won't see it on the show.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I can taste that something is bitter but enjoy it because it is bitter, not because I can't taste bitterness.   

This is very true. I think that changes with age (as in children don't like the bitter taste). I can't change the genetic cilantro taste. I don't overdo it but I like cayenne and crushed red pepper. I have a lot of curry spices that aren't hot but very flavorful.  I use lots of garlic. I guess I just don't like heat for the sake of it. I ate a roast beef sandwich and wondered why it was hot. A little bit of horseradish I can deal with.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, nokat said:

This is very true. I think that changes with age (as in children don't like the bitter taste). I can't change the genetic cilantro taste. I don't overdo it but I like cayenne and crushed red pepper. I have a lot of curry spices that aren't hot but very flavorful.  I use lots of garlic. I guess I just don't like heat for the sake of it. I ate a roast beef sandwich and wondered why it was hot. A little bit of horseradish I can deal with.

Absolutely, liking for sweetness changes with age.  Studies show that children and elderly generally like everything significantly sweeter than adults.  And children do dislike bitter tastes, but I can't remember at what age that ability comes.    The vilest 'food' I have ever put in my mouth is an infant formula made with aminoacids instead of full proteins for children with severe digestive issues...  supposedly children cannot taste it so they are OK with it.  I have never observed a real, live infant's reaction to it so I can't say.    Although nutritional drinks like Ensure don't taste much better to me, I had to taste all of them (well, the ones available back in 2003), and not one was something I would ever willingly drink.   

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 2

I was listening to a webinar today on measuring behaviors, and one of the examples they were using is people who are struggling with losing weight.   What I remember is that these people tend to a) not believe that they can accomplish anything, so they do best with small goals and build up on those, b) tend to handle stress poorly, and c) run away from emotions or discussion of emotions, so any messages directed at them that are fear-based 'you are going to eat yourself to death' won't work on them, d) they are generally self-indulgent.  All the things I already figured out after watching this show for two (or is it three already?) seasons!  

If you are interested, this is the webinar.  They covered a few different topics, pretty interesting if you are into heuristics and how people think and make decisions...  www.kantar.com/campaigns/pf/measuring-behaviour-at-scale-registration 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I bought all the bad things, including grapes and clementines. A cauliflower crust pizza. Watermelon. I'm on the road to fat. All of the fruit sugar.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 1/23/2021 at 11:52 AM, nokat said:

t I wanted pancakes. I kept myself to one piece of bacon, one pancake (with too much maple syrup)

Because I am not at my usual Mardi Gras party due to its being cancelled, we honored my English heritage --as opposed to the Spanish/Portuguese--and had a Shrove Tuesday pancake dinner.  Pancakes with Steen's cane syrup from Abbeville, Louisiana, and bacon.  I actually ate 3 slices of bacon and a plateful of pancakes.  I do make very thin ones; they are more like crepes.   Dr. Now would be appalled, but I am sure most of the poundticipants would consider it a small snack. 

There were no grapes as the last time I was in the store they were more expensive than they have been for most of the winter.

If I don't make it to the Live Chat tomorrow, it is probably due to my still being in a food coma from tonight's dinner. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

If I don't make it to the Live Chat tomorrow, it is probably due to my still being in a food coma from tonight's dinner. 

I was kind of asking around about who does Shrove Tuesday. You eat so much you have to give something up for Lent.

I was never a big fan of pancakes, but yesterday's cold and snow (I live in SW PA, so no issues so far) and reading about the Shrove Tuesday tradition, I whipped up a batch. 

Sweet baby jeebus, they were so good! The butter and maple syrup didn't hurt, either. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Really, it's hard to think of something to give up this year for Lent.  What luxuries do any of us have?  

Well, I think we were in the beginnings of COVID this time last year. 

Mr TWoPper worked in a drugstore with a soda fountain after school, and one of the students came in looking all forlorn.  She was a regular purchaser of a chocolate cone most afternoons, but because it was Lent she gave up chocolate and had to get vanilla.   I swear he has told me this story every Ash Wednesday for 35 years.

I quit giving up years ago and replaced it with readings.  Last year I had a book of reflections by Bishop Robert Barron, but I only made it halfway through.  This year the reflections will come by email each day so I should do better.   I probably should give up snarking, but I am just not there yet.   https://www.lentreflections.com/

Grapes.  I got grapes today as the red seedless were back down to $1.99 per pound.   I am living dangerously as I also got halos.  I also got mint jelly, but it isn't sugar free.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

I probably should give up snarking, but I am just not there yet.  

Under no circumstances are you going to give snarking up.    That would take a unanimous vote by all of us, and we never totally agree on anything.   I'd miss you. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Really, it's hard to think of something to give up this year for Lent.  What luxuries do any of us have?  

For those of us of Orthodox persuasion, it's never a question.  if you want to be strict - all dairy and all meat and poultry and eggs.  If you want to be super strict like monastics - there is a whole calendar, which days you may have hot food and which days only cold food, and which days you may have luxuries like plant oils and wine and fish.   Of course, regular people don't go all crazy like that, usually.  I personally could never find it it me to give up dairy, but most years I do stop eating meat (the first week is super hard, then I get over it).  But for us this year Lent doesn't start until March 15th.  The last couple years our Easters have been only a week apart but this year it's again 5 weeks of separation.  At least, the weather will be nice in May, and hopefully COVID subsides enough that I can go attend service...  

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Hellga said:

For those of us of Orthodox persuasion, it's never a question.  if you want to be strict - all dairy and all meat and poultry and eggs.  If you want to be super strict like monastics - there is a whole calendar, which days you may have hot food and which days only cold food, and which days you may have luxuries like plant oils and wine and fish.   Of course, regular people don't go all crazy like that, usually.  I personally could never find it it me to give up dairy, but most years I do stop eating meat (the first week is super hard, then I get over it).  But for us this year Lent doesn't start until March 15th.  The last couple years our Easters have been only a week apart but this year it's again 5 weeks of separation.  At least, the weather will be nice in May, and hopefully COVID subsides enough that I can go attend service...  

I am Orthodox also. A friend says we are vegan half of the year.

2 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am Orthodox also. A friend says we are vegan half of the year.

Yeah...  I am not strict like that, but there is definitely a reason in my great-grandparents generation main food was bread and grains and everything else was merely an addition to those.  They lived in a climate where fresh vegetables were available for about five months a year (and fruit for about three), and winter was potatoes and root vegetables and grains and pickles and preserves... not the healthiest diet, actually.  I try to combine science and faith into a healthy (well, hopefully healthier) medium.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Hellga said:

Yeah...  I am not strict like that, but there is definitely a reason in my great-grandparents generation main food was bread and grains and everything else was merely an addition to those.  They lived in a climate where fresh vegetables were available for about five months a year (and fruit for about three), and winter was potatoes and root vegetables and grains and pickles and preserves... not the healthiest diet, actually.  I try to combine science and faith into a healthy (well, hopefully healthier) medium.

I haven't fasted for the past 3 years. I just don't have the emotional energy to figure it out with my dietary restrictions. I know I should because it is better for me spiritually but I just can't get the gumption to do it. Thankfully my Priest remains me God doesn't look in my refrigerator. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I haven't fasted for the past 3 years. I just don't have the emotional energy to figure it out with my dietary restrictions. I know I should because it is better for me spiritually but I just can't get the gumption to do it. Thankfully my Priest remains me God doesn't look in my refrigerator. 

I read somewhere that back in the early days of Christianity, it was the non-Christians who wanted to join the community and be baptized had to observe the 40-day fast as a remembrance of Christ's 40 days in the desert...  but later on it somehow transformed into current members of the Christian community having to observe it.   I like doing it because it makes me feel like I am making an effort and it's a daily reminder to do the things that actually have meaning - be grateful to God for what I have, try to be gentler, work harder, etc.  Although my personal image of God sounds just like my Dad, so he usually tells me 'Anna, just admit you are an ass." 🙂  That's what Dad always used to say when I would come saying 'Daaaaddy, could you pleeeease..." 🙂

Edited by Hellga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I have to complain somewhere.  I made roast duck yesterday, and it was absolutely delicious, but my apartment still smells of duck fat.  I hate the smell of duck fat as much as I love duck meat.   I also hate the smell of bacon grease even though I do like bacon.   Any fat smells, actually, even oil - any oil - getting heated - bother me, though I of course use them to cook all the time because the resulting meals are delicious.  An option would be to move to a warm climate and have an outdoor kitchen... but I can't tolerate warm climates.  I have never lived further south than New Jersey, and I don't ever want to.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Hellga said:

I have to complain somewhere.  I made roast duck yesterday, and it was absolutely delicious, but my apartment still smells of duck fat.  I hate the smell of duck fat as much as I love duck meat.   I also hate the smell of bacon grease even though I do like bacon.   Any fat smells, actually, even oil - any oil - getting heated - bother me, though I of course use them to cook all the time because the resulting meals are delicious.  An option would be to move to a warm climate and have an outdoor kitchen... but I can't tolerate warm climates.  I have never lived further south than New Jersey, and I don't ever want to.

I’m right there with you! I hate lingering smells. When I was in college, my roommate made steak and our apparent smelled like a butcher shop for an entire weekend. 

If you have to any citrus on hand, simmer it in water on the stove. Could also use ginger, cinnamon, clove, allspice, etc. I’ve done that in the past and it seems to work!

• Useful 1
On 2/16/2021 at 9:03 PM, Twopper said:

Because I am not at my usual Mardi Gras party due to its being cancelled, we honored my English heritage --as opposed to the Spanish/Portuguese--and had a Shrove Tuesday pancake dinner.  Pancakes with Steen's cane syrup from Abbeville, Louisiana, and bacon.  I actually ate 3 slices of bacon and a plateful of pancakes.  I do make very thin ones; they are more like crepes.   Dr. Now would be appalled, but I am sure most of the poundticipants would consider it a small snack. 

There were no grapes as the last time I was in the store they were more expensive than they have been for most of the winter.

Steen's cane syrup is the nectar of the gods. I use it instead of Karo syrup to make pecan pie. Whenever we're in New Orleans, I do a  lot of grocery shopping. The syrup, the cane vinegar, Camellia beans, andouille, tasso, really good head cheese, pickle meat, and crawfish tails. My dad was from Louisiana, and I love that food.

• Love 3

A long time ago, I worked with a woman (in New Mexico) who loved some of the cane syrup brands that they only sold in the South.   So one of the co-workers was from central Georgia, and volunteered to buy anything that someone craved, but they didn't sell in NM.   So she asked him for cane syrup, and he lugged some back for her.    Then we found out that our local, huge grocery store carried it, and almost everything else that anyone had asked for, that he had lugged back on the plane.  

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

A long time ago, I worked with a woman (in New Mexico) who loved some of the cane syrup brands that they only sold in the South.   So one of the co-workers was from central Georgia, and volunteered to buy anything that someone craved, but they didn't sell in NM.   So she asked him for cane syrup, and he lugged some back for her.    Then we found out that our local, huge grocery store carried it, and almost everything else that anyone had asked for, that he had lugged back on the plane.  

That's hilarious.  We used Steens or Alaga when I was growing up.  I picked up some Alaga the  other day only to recoil because it had fructose as an ingredient and I thought I recalled it as pure cane, but I found some pictures of old bottles and it says cane, corn and sugar on the label.  I guess I will continue to just use Steens.   I usually put honey on pancakes or waffles when I am away from home since most places use maple syrup, and I just can't develop a taste for it.

• Love 1