Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

If you live in an area with a Kroger (or one of the Kroger family of grocers), they have an off-brand version of Grape Nuts that’s nearly half the price!

I'm familiar with Kroger but I don't have one here. If you look at the off-brand details you'll find they're made in the same place as the on brand, but less expensive. I like to look at the fine print.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, nokat said:

I'm laughing at you having to "steal back" your gel packs. I have the ones I used in my lunch bag. I have an Igloo too that I use for groceries.

I don't even know how it would have found its way there. I just know I had a pink one and a green one and I'm pretty sure I saw the green one in their freezer. Maybe I brought it there when I was housesitting and left it..? Who knows..

• Love 2
On 7/2/2020 at 11:50 PM, ams1001 said:

I don't even know how it would have found its way there. I just know I had a pink one and a green one and I'm pretty sure I saw the green one in their freezer. Maybe I brought it there when I was housesitting and left it..? Who knows..

Sooo...I took back my green ice pack and now I can't find the pink one...😑

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 6/26/2020 at 7:32 PM, Hana Chan said:

@ShoePrincess - so sorry to hear that you've been fighting with the dreaded Covid-beast. I know how hard it's been and just count myself lucky that my family have been able to avoid it up until now. Take care of yourself!

Hana, I'm fine. I didn't have the virus. I was referring to the extra pounds accumulated by staying home and eating more ice cream than I should.

• LOL 1

Taking this here from another poundticipant thread.   I have my measuring spoons on the ring, because the few times I've used them, I would inevitably have to hunt for the one I want.    I also have to dust them off first too.  

As one of my friends said when I was trying to decide between a smooth top electric stove, and the coil kind, she told me to get the smooth top.   They're easier to dust. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I wasn’t sure where to post this, but I thought this might be the best place. I had a colonoscopy yesterday. When I first arrived I waited in the lobby  at a major health care provider gastroenterology office.  Not a bariatric office. There were about 6 very basic chairs  available to sit that were spaced 6 feet apart.  I instantly noticed one sign hanging on the wall right below the tv. Nothing else was on the walls. It said this: 

Patients please be Aware That The Weight Capacity

On The Chairs In This Waiting Room Are:

350 POUNDS for single chair

500 POUNDS for double chairs

It cracked me up! I’ve never seen anything like that before.  I guess they have a big problem with broken chairs!  I actually took a picture of it. Lol 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They probably have a problem with potential lawsuits from someone suing when a chair collapses. 

I usually lose a few pounds when I drink that liquid that empties you out.  My last colonoscopy  I wanted to be knocked out, but I laughingly said I don't remember anything and the doctor said "good." Good for you or good for me? What happened? Neither one of us wants to look the other in the face.

• LOL 3
(edited)

Honestly, those chairs looked really spindly. They were all single chairs and I do not believe that they would support a person who weighs 350 pounds. 

Before the procedure, I recall commenting on Ed Sheeran song that was playing and being all silly about it. And then I thought it was odd how quiet they were. I thought it rude they weren’t friendlier. Next thing I was told to lay back on my back, it’s done.   What? When?  Lol I wasn’t sleepy at all.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Honestly, those chairs looked really spindly. They were all single chairs and I do not believe that they would support a person who weighs 350 pounds. 

Before the procedure, I recall commenting on Ed Sheeran song that was playing and being all silly about it. And then I thought it was odd how quiet they were. I thought it rude they weren’t friendlier. Next thing I was told to lay back on my back, it’s done.   What? When?  Lol I wasn’t sleepy at all.

600 lb doctor says let's get the spindly chairs that say only 200 lbs. I'm also embarrassed to say I've been gaining weight. The "I can't be over this weight" has gone up.

For some reason the doctors don't find it funny when you say things like we meet again. Not everyone likes snark.

• LOL 2
(edited)

My last internist's office had chairs like you see in Dr. Now's office.   They were metal frames, and really wide.    Another woman I knew that was a long term patient (she referred me to her office) said that's because the doctor's patient were often on the heavy side.    There were quite a few I saw that were at least 400 lbs., so the office furniture was bought with that in mind.     I need to lose weight, but walking in there with people that weight over 200 lbs more than I do made me feel so thin.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Yeah, I had been in denial on my weight. I lost 6 pounds in March due to the cold from hell. Still convinced it was covid. It kicked my asp and I was too sick to eat. So, I wanted to keep it off.  Well.....covid 19 quarantine sneaked up on me. I’ve gained that back plus some!   I have to get 10 pounds off pronto. I knew my shorts were rather snug. Lol 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I had been in denial on my weight. I lost 6 pounds in March due to the cold from hell. Still convinced it was covid. It kicked my asp and I was too sick to eat. So, I wanted to keep it off.  Well.....covid 19 quarantine sneaked up on me. I’ve gained that back plus some!   I have to get 10 pounds off pronto. I knew my shorts were rather snug. Lol

I need to get off the covid pounds too. It's more difficult to get healthy food delivered, and you are scared and just want comfort food.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't have TV per se, just my laptop, and so I miss live broadcasts. I'm always months late to the party at least; usually I'm years behind. That's why I keep posting on years-old threads. I want to get my snark on, too, about these people who are so snarktastic! The comments here make me crack up and are insightful.

I just had back surgery to try to correct some of the damage done from not being moved to a wheelchair properly a few years back; I fell on my ass while I was sky high on pain meds and so none of my muscles were firing. I damaged my lower back and pelvis pretty badly. It seems like nothing will get better. The surgery couldn't correct all the issues caused by that fall but it is trying. I'm two weeks out from surgery but any exertion makes the pain flare up and after years of dealing with severe chronic pain I just feel devoid of hope. I'm still young, for god's sake. I don't know why this happened to me, especially given the childhood and young adulthood that I had. I'm terrified of going outside because I'm terrified of being injured again; whether by an errant scooter rider (Janine, I'm looking at you), a drunk driver, or whatever. I used to travel and was very physically active. I'm a shell of the person I used to be.

Sorry for such a dark post but IRL there's just my husband, cats, and me. Friends all ran to the hills when I stopped being able to go out or even host them in my home; I couldn't even sit up, I had to lie down all the time.

Edited by Ralphster
(edited)
On 7/25/2020 at 7:02 PM, nokat said:

I need to get off the covid pounds too. It's more difficult to get healthy food delivered, and you are scared and just want comfort food.

I hear ya. I'm climbing out of the pit of comfort food eating, after falling into it for a few months this spring. Lately I've been able to get in a walk of at least a mile, usually more, at a nearby park, in the early morning three or four days a week. That really helps although TBH it's a pain to get all dressed etc. that early. (I'm happy to be WAH but that also controls my weekdays so I have to fit things in around regular "office" hours.) I swear, I'm a happy introvert, but dammit I'm not a hermit. Living alone in a condo is basically a fine situation for me, but I'm hitting a wall with the isolation. My walks and other outings plus contact with friends and family, and the hours I work with a nice team though it's online, have become crucial to save my alleged sanity. (And I'm masked to even leave my own condo; I have to go through shared hallways, elevator lobbies, garage, etc., just to get outdoors or to my car or to my mailbox.)

Early last Saturday morning, I hopped in my old minivan and just drove; visited a town north of here that I'd never been to in all my years living in this state. Just for the hell of it. By the time I got there it was mid-morning, I was hungry, and I found a coffee shop advertising that it served coffee with a side of snark. I HAD to go in! Glad I did. I got good coffee and a no carb breakfast, it wasn't deserted but not at all crowded, the tables were nicely distanced, people had masks on unless eating/drinking. And, to add some lulz to the experience, there was this fabulous message on the wall:

1coffeeopinion.thumb.jpg.cc2581c9d526e7519b9c779f724cc83d.jpg

And, @Ralphster, I'm sorry for your troubles. Welcome to the discussions. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Jeeves said:

And, @Ralphster, I'm sorry for your troubles. Welcome to the discussions.

Thank you, Jeeves. I'm happy to be here. It's an intelligent, funny community here and reading the posts usually has me forgetting about my troubles for a while. So thank you all from the bottom of my heart for that. 🙂

There is some good news. I met with my surgeon yesterday and I am actually doing better than he expected. I [figuratively] nearly fell off my chair (which would have been very bad, hehe). It's still a long uphill battle, but I'm nothing if not stubborn.

• Love 5

I'd like to see an episode where previous pounders "strike back" at their haters, but unfortunately most of the people we've seen on this show don't appear to be very witty.

Just checking in on my crew here. Hope everyone is staying safe! I live in a college town and the students came back last week. I'm expecting the COVID cases to spike because there's no such thing as social distancing at keg parties.

I'm off on Wednesday now because my hours got cut at work because of the pandemic. I actually love having Wednesdays off because there's always a marathon of this show on TLC.

• Love 4

I'm curious. What do y'all do when "watching" this show? I have canned peaches, caught up on laundry, made apple pies for the freezer, snapped beans....it usually takes me several viewings to see the whole show. 😊

• LOL 2
33 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I'm curious. What do y'all do when "watching" this show? I have canned peaches, caught up on laundry, made apple pies for the freezer, snapped beans....it usually takes me several viewings to see the whole show. 😊

For new episodes,  Live Chat where I miss a lot because I am too busy reading and laughing. Two hours is too long for my little brain to comprehend all the details.

During the VERY extended reruns this year,  because of one new show and countless unfinished WATN episodes unaired cutting off the Live Chats,  my viewing in prime time is during the endless commercials shown during Battlestar Galactica episodes on Comet. 

Clearly TLC is so lacking in new programming that an ancient rerun of Chuck! is the featured episode.  Hope to see some lively conversation on 

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

You must have a chest freezer, and I'm envious. While "watching" the show I wish I was canning peaches. The show does give me incentive to make big batches of healthier food and freeze or can it.

What kind of apples do you use for the pies? I'm on the west coast and we don't have the really good apples that the east coast has.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I wasn’t sure where to post this, but I thought this might be the best place. I had a colonoscopy yesterday. When I first arrived I waited in the lobby  at a major health care provider gastroenterology office.  Not a bariatric office. There were about 6 very basic chairs  available to sit that were spaced 6 feet apart.  I instantly noticed one sign hanging on the wall right below the tv. Nothing else was on the walls. It said this: 

It cracked me up! I’ve never seen anything like that before.  I guess they have a big problem with broken chairs!  I actually took a picture of it. Lol 

Man-breaking-chair-266299.jpg

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, nokat said:

You must have a chest freezer, and I'm envious. While "watching" the show I wish I was canning peaches. The show does give me incentive to make big batches of healthier food and freeze or can it.

What kind of apples do you use for the pies? I'm on the west coast and we don't have the really good apples that the east coast has.

Yes a chest freezer and 2 uprights. (And a big family-2 grown daughters that both have a litter of children). A good neighbor friend gives me boxes of granny smith from their trees. And sister in law gives us tons of golden delicious from their orchard. It makes a nice combination for pies. Plus we live in Washington state! Our apples are pretty darn good too. 😉

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Plus we live in Washington state! Our apples are pretty darn good too.

Plus your cherries are darn good. I especially like the Rainiers.  They try to pass off Queen Annes as Rainiers here, but there is no contest.

I love Granny Smiths for apple sauce.

• Love 2

So I went to the doctor yesterday. I have high blood pressure and my GP likes to check in with me every three months. This time it was more like six months because I was avoiding the health center during the pandemic until I absolutely had to go in (my prescriptions all needed refilling). I was amazed that even though I have been eating more than I usually do for the past six months, I'd only gained three pounds. But my I am still heavier than I want to be and evidently the doctor thinks I need to make some adjustments to my eating habits because he included information on obesity and healthy eating in my discharge papers.

I had given up fast food as a New Year's Resolution but when COVOD-19 reared its ugly head stateside, I just gave in to the cravings. I have been cooking a lot -- mostly casseroles and slow cooker meals that I can keep in the fridge for leftovers. I have heard that blueberries are good for lowering blood pressure so I think tomorrow night I'm going to make a salad with baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries, feta and grilled chicken.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

So I went to the doctor yesterday. I have high blood pressure and my GP likes to check in with me every three months. This time it was more like six months because I was avoiding the health center during the pandemic until I absolutely had to go in (my prescriptions all needed refilling). I was amazed that even though I have been eating more than I usually do for the past six months, I'd only gained three pounds. But my I am still heavier than I want to be and evidently the doctor thinks I need to make some adjustments to my eating habits because he included information on obesity and healthy eating in my discharge papers.

I had given up fast food as a New Year's Resolution but when COVOD-19 reared its ugly head stateside, I just gave in to the cravings. I have been cooking a lot -- mostly casseroles and slow cooker meals that I can keep in the fridge for leftovers. I have heard that blueberries are good for lowering blood pressure so I think tomorrow night I'm going to make a salad with baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries, feta and grilled chicken.

Also beets and raw almonds. ☺

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

How does the one you saw look to measure up against the fatty chair in Dr. Now's office?  Maybe it's a triple chair?  Because everyone has been over 500 lbs when they first come to him.

• Love 1

I haven't paid much attention to the chairs in Dr. Now's office lately, but, if seems like they are a little more sturdy than those in the colonoscopy office. 

I've gained a little over covid so far and I really want to address my core problem.  I know what to eat, how to eat, nutrition, etc.  but, for some reason, I just ignore it when I'm snacking at night. I eat healthy snacks, but, too many calories. I am familiar with Duke Integrative Medicine and that's how I discovered this book.  The reviews are pretty good.  I don't believe in diets, but, this is called The Mindful Diet.  It's more of changing your relationship with food, based on the summary. 

Grounded in scientific research, The Mindful Diet examines how what we choose to eat and drink affects our body on a biochemical level, and how we can become aware of our own internal signals through the practice of mindfulness. Instead of an all-or-nothing approach to eating, in which dieting becomes an exertion of willpower, The Mindful Diet focuses on the many variables that drive our habits—including stress, unhappiness, and even unconscious beliefs—and provides a roadmap for sustainable change. Loaded with concrete meditation exercises, behavioral techniques, nutrition advice, and meal-planning charts, this book provides the tools to avoid cravings, stop emotional overeating, and figure out when you are full. Lasting weight loss and healthy living begin in the mind: now you can learn how to re-program your body, make healthy choices, lose weight, and keep it off for life.

https://dukeintegrativemedicine.org/about/the-mindful-diet/#:~:text=Instead of an all-or,a roadmap for sustainable change.

I have no vested interest in the book.  Just thought I'd share.  

• Useful 2

Mindfulness is a big thing in many areas right now.  While the idea has existed for a long time, it has become a trend.  It is basically really stop and focus on what you are doing.  For diets, think before you eat, consider whether you are really hungry or grabbing food for another reason (bored, thirsty, habit, availability), and focus on the food while eating it (a.k.a. don't sit down with a bag of chips next to you and mindlessly keep munching while watching TV, instead place a serving in a bowl and focus on your sensations while eating).  The noom app focuses on mindfulness (along with meditation, goal setting, poorly written articles, bad research, self promotion masked as tasks for users, some things that can be psychologically harmful depending on your current mental health, . . . ).

In many counseling classes I have taken, business courses, and various products this has come up.  Funny thing is I am a type A person so people always think I will do poorly on the mindfulness exercises.  I always do really well.  Kind of annoys the more mellow folks in class who believe they are on spiritual paths that make them more centered than others.  (Not snarking everyone, just the self-righteous folks). 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/25/2020 at 11:56 PM, JunkFoodTV said:

Also beets and raw almonds. ☺

Thanks @JunkFoodTV, I have high blood pressure too and had no idea that those two foods were beneficial for HBP. Doesn't hurt that I really like both.😊

• Love 1

For High Blood Pressure, the DASH diet and Mediterranean diet are both supposed to be good.   The DASH diet was specifically designed to help with HBP.  

Of course, if a hurricane is coming through, all bets are off, all foods are legal, and if you beat the others in the house to anything, then you win.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

There is a grocery store I like where I get most of my veggies and lean meats. The problem is that there is a KFC right there, and you can smell that as you leave the store. I know I'm a warped individual, but I'll eat the coleslaw mixed in with the potatoes and gravy. Guess who had KFC yesterday?

I guess the good news is that I ate a bowl of blueberries as a snack later.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, nokat said:

There is a grocery store I like where I get most of my veggies and lean meats. The problem is that there is a KFC right there, and you can smell that as you leave the store. I know I'm a warped individual, but I'll eat the coleslaw mixed in with the potatoes and gravy. Guess who had KFC yesterday?

I guess the good news is that I ate a bowl of blueberries as a snack later.

THAT is exactly the correct way to eat KFC!.....and now I'm hungry. 😑

• Love 1

There was an indoor mall where I lived a long time ago.   There was a branch of a local gym, and right down the row from it was a Dairy Queen.    That didn't work out for a lot of gym customers, some would work out, and then have dinner at DQ.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

This popped into my FB newsfeed today. 😄

Demon grapes.jpg

Not the gateway fruit! I do love grapes.

And don't freeze them in this hot weather says the grape pusher.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 8/31/2020 at 3:38 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

There was an indoor mall where I lived a long time ago.   There was a branch of a local gym, and right down the row from it was a Dairy Queen.    That's didn't work out for a lot of gym customers, some would work out, and then have dinner at DQ.    

I'll do you one better.  In my town there was a long-time bakery located in a strip mall.  When it closed up years ago it became a Weight Watchers.

Can't make this up.

• LOL 4
17 hours ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

I'll do you one better.  In my town there was a long-time bakery located in a strip mall.  When it closed up years ago it became a Weight Watchers.

Probably the same owners for the bakery and WW.  They created their ultimate target audience!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

From the late 70's to about 1999 Heinz foods owned WW, and still produce a lot of their products.   So they sell you the food to fatten you up, and then the food to help you lose weight.    

Princess, I'm just glad that you didn't get mowed down by Pauline in her giant powered wheelchair of Doom.   There is no way I believe that she's not back in that again. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Princess, I'm just glad that you didn't get mowed down by Pauline in her giant powered wheelchair of Doom.   There is no way I believe that she's not back in that again. 

Hey, Pauline is on tonight at 7 EST!

Schnee is on right now, but I just can't because I believe in Jesus Christ 

• LOL 1

Just don't miss the two crucial Schenee scenes, the pizza at the hospital one, and the pants down while on potty chair asking Dr. Now that infamous question.    Don't miss the follow up episode where Pauline loses weight, but still keeps poor Dylan on a short leash, where he'll always stay.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have other things to watch, but am setting my DVR for the original Nicole episode.    The bathing on the back porch part, and the police raid at the rental house is must see TV, as well as the first hotel stay.    I think the hotel floor was laminate, not hard woods, but it certainly was in the right place at the right time to send that bed into orbit. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have other things to watch, but am setting my DVR for the original Nicole episode.    The bathing on the back porch part, and the police raid at the rental house is must see TV, as well as the first hotel stay.  

Yes, the hotel! 😅 Just such a lovely, gracious young lady. So sweet to her loved ones for giving up their lives, as pathetic as they may be, to haul 600+ lbs of loud mouth lard to Houston. If I was at that hotel I'd pull up a chair and bring popcorn to watch that exchange. 😆

• LOL 3