Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, nokat said:

:D My favorite sentence there involved "older cats unperturbed in bedroom." You lived through chemicals, what's a bit of wine and cigarettes.

I am in southern California too. Waves.
 

Carbon and Poppy are tolerant, but need respite from middle-of-the-night "kitten crazies".  As do I.  Yes we put a litterbox in there, oh well!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

39 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

Chicken fried steak is the state food of Oklahoma. It had to be responsible for a 100 of my 600 lbs.

Is pretty sure I am 50% chili dog and potato chip.
 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, nokat said:

Had to look this up, and they are still available. England is known for its meat pies. 🙂
Sorry, UK, they're based in Scotland.
 

Yes they have just started doing a vegetable one😀, might give it ago when I have lost another couple of stone 😂

1 hour ago, CatherineM said:

Chicken fried steak is the state food of Oklahoma. It had to be responsible for a 100 of my 600 lbs. 

That made me laugh really loudly 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Regarding grits:  I think less is more.  A little butter and salt does it.  Like most comfort foods, noodles, cereals, rice, popcorn etc. they are basically vehicles for butter and salt.  The trick is knowing what "moderation" is.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, nokat said:

Is pretty sure I am 50% chili dog and potato chip.
 

I am 60% chocolate, 20% croissants and the rest is other baked goods.   In fact, I am going to a big chocolate show in NYC in two weeks!  And there go my plans to reduce the amount of chocolate in my dedicated chocolate cupboard...

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

33 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I am 60% chocolate, 20% croissants and the rest is other baked goods.   In fact, I am going to a big chocolate show in NYC in two weeks!  And there go my plans to reduce the amount of chocolate in my dedicated chocolate cupboard...

My biggest weaknesses are crackers and cheeses.  Croissants, I just don't buy them.  I'd send Antapallooza to your chocolate cupboard, but I wouldn't wish this on anybody.  They are everywhere, suddenly, out of nowhere.  This usually happens at the first rain, but it certainly isn't raining now.  You know:  it never rains in California, except when it does, usually November to March.  Makes having a corner-lot lawn a dedication.  Looking forward to "Cactus" themed front yard in Las Vegas.  They don't pretend there.  There are ants on the laptop.  Cats are useless for this.  Have fun in NYC and enjoy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, nokat said:

Happy that you found your fur babies.

Edited to add: I was doing the casual talk to a stranger while waiting in line, and the subject of pets came up. He asks, "do you like dogs" and I said I like cats. He then tells me I look like a cat person. I wasn't wearing my space cat t-shirt and I wasn't covered in cat hair. So I'm then pondering what a cat person looks like. :)

 

A cat person speaks in a high-pitched voice saying stuff like "can I get cheekses and chinsees, and rollies  good girl!/boy!" And makes weird kissing noises to unresponsive cats.

It's all worth it when they commandeer your lap with head-butts , purrs and kneading.  Except for Carbon, he "chews" fingers and drools all over.  I think it's a kind of sucking, but feline teeth get in the way.  He's done it since a kitten, and now he's 20. All for the love of cats!

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Carboncat said:

My biggest weaknesses are crackers and cheeses.  Croissants, I just don't buy them.  I'd send Antapallooza to your chocolate cupboard, but I wouldn't wish this on anybody.  They are everywhere, suddenly, out of nowhere.  This usually happens at the first rain, but it certainly isn't raining now.  You know:  it never rains in California, except when it does, usually November to March.  Makes having a corner-lot lawn a dedication.  Looking forward to "Cactus" themed front yard in Las Vegas.  They don't pretend there.  There are ants on the laptop.  Cats are useless for this.  Have fun in NYC and enjoy!

I discovered that the Acme supermarket - not the small one in my town but the big one 20 minutes away - bakes awesome croissants.  And they are just a $1 a pop, which is a lot less than the croissants at freestanding bakeries around here.  And my Mom discovered that Fresh Thyme by her house sells croissants for just 50 cents a piece after 5pm.  It's a gateway addiction food made easy!  

Thank you for not sending the ants!  One time, when I was a kid, I was at a camp and one of my roommates picked up some shells at the beach and put on them on the windowsill to dry.  Being naïve inland kids we didn't think to check whether those shells were empty... so that evening, the windowsill was FULL of ants, and of course, our little bed stands where we all had some snacks were invaded too.  I will never forget!    

Cacti are beautiful (especially the ones that look deceptively fuzzy!).  I think it makes total sense to not have lawns in the climate not meant for lawns.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I discovered that the Acme supermarket - not the small one in my town but the big one 20 minutes away - bakes awesome croissants.  And they are just a $1 a pop, which is a lot less than the croissants at freestanding bakeries around here.  And my Mom discovered that Fresh Thyme by her house sells croissants for just 50 cents a piece after 5pm.  It's a gateway addiction food made easy!  

Thank you for not sending the ants!  One time, when I was a kid, I was at a camp and one of my roommates picked up some shells at the beach and put on them on the windowsill to dry.  Being naïve inland kids we didn't think to check whether those shells were empty... so that evening, the windowsill was FULL of ants, and of course, our little bed stands where we all had some snacks were invaded too.  I will never forget!    

Cacti are beautiful (especially the ones that look deceptively fuzzy!).  I think it makes total sense to not have lawns in the climate not meant for lawns.

Yes, you are right that cacti and succulents make attractive sense in the west.  It does require work and money to dig up a lawn this big.  We are far enough from the beach that we don't have sandy soil, but clay-pan.  It forms a hard shell water-resistant shell in summer.  We refer to weeding "in the Zone" that time in the spring when the soil is rain-softened and you can pull weeds and not hack them out with hammer and chisel.  Am waiting for winter to reconsider and re-plant.  Mea Culpa with the garden this year.

I will share this since "Small Talk" is the place for digression and what you get from living so long is more experiences to share:

When we bought this current house in 2001 there was a large "prickly pear" cactus in the corner of the back yard. I would whack off paddles with a hammer to prune.  I know Mexicans like the red fruits they produce, but they were just threatening to me.  I rebuilt the whole yard fence except for that corner.

One day when the outside temp was 105 I heard a weird noise outside. The cactus collapsed, taking 50 feet of Bouganvillia vine with it. Yard waste disaster, with thorns!

Had to ferry cactus out to street pickup on a 4-wheel furniture dolly.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Regarding grits:  I think less is more.  A little butter and salt does it.  Like most comfort foods, noodles, cereals, rice, popcorn etc. they are basically vehicles for butter and salt.  The trick is knowing what "moderation" is.

Good way to eat grits! I never had them until I met my husband. His mother’s family is Southern, and they like to add sausage or cheese, both are delicious additions. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2019 at 12:40 PM, AZChristian said:

Game plan:  If you decide to not board that elevator, dig in your purse or pockets and grumble, "Oh NO . . . I left my phone in the doctor's office" as you turn and walk away.

I'd be more inclined to mutter "oh no, not today Satan...."

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know if there will be a new season???  I keep searching and searching but find nothing definitive.  Am unsure WHY TLC chooses to be so mysterious and/or secretive regarding this matter.  However, find it rather annoying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

There is; the new seasons usually premiere in January.

That's GREAT!!  I hope they focus on "Where Are They Now" from past seasons.  The episodes with new participants (with few exceptions) last year didn't really didn't really interest me as much as our "oldies but goodies" success stories from  years gone by.  I'd love to see progress from Janine, Erica, Doug, Gideon, Randy and many others who really stick in my memory.  

Of course, that would pre-suppose that these favorites actually KEPT their weight off and qualified for skin removal surgery.

With Dr. Now getting up in years, and what he describes as grueling surgical feats to tie off those blood vessels in the skin removal surgeries, it's truly amazing that he's still "in the game."

I think the gastric bypass or sleeve is more routine for him and likely he could do those surgeries in his (figurative) sleep!

Thanks for the update.  I'll look forward to the new season!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/11/2019 at 7:29 PM, pdlinda said:

That's GREAT!!  I hope they focus on "Where Are They Now" from past seasons.  The episodes with new participants (with few exceptions) last year didn't really didn't really interest me as much as our "oldies but goodies" success stories from  years gone by.  I'd love to see progress from Janine, Erica, Doug, Gideon, Randy and many others who really stick in my memory.  

Of course, that would pre-suppose that these favorites actually KEPT their weight off and qualified for skin removal surgery.

With Dr. Now getting up in years, and what he describes as grueling surgical feats to tie off those blood vessels in the skin removal surgeries, it's truly amazing that he's still "in the game."

I think the gastric bypass or sleeve is more routine for him and likely he could do those surgeries in his (figurative) sleep!

Thanks for the update.  I'll look forward to the new season!

I'm sure looking forward too... although I was "lurking" for a few months because I was off for spin surgery Dec.27th and had plenty of laptop time, I didn't "join" until May.  I've loved my give-and take with everybody.  Yes we are fans of the show, and Dr. Now, but it speaks to something deeper, whether it's a weight-loss struggle, or other struggles to which we relate.  I never thought a late-night cable program I watched bale-eyed from the couch when I couldn't sleep would lead to such an exchange with fellow persons.

I was initially attracted by the success stories....gosh you're 600 lbs and turn your life around!  Yay!  Makes my stuff look trivial...Yay for you, my heart goes out.

Then come the trainwreaks.   Yes I'm not a mental health professional, but we lay viewers can recognize patterns from our selves or folks in our own lives.  We have opinions, and we can sound out!  I am so glad the mods on this subject created this 2 oz thread!  It allows us to share on the long hiatus between actual shows.

For me here, I'm not even getting repeats, I'm even getting the Red Screen of Death.  Direct TV has erased all my recorded programs, and I get the "chevron" and no signal message,

Oh well, I'll let my husband deal with it.  I have to work in the morning.

My husband is taking night classes 4 days a week.  I take him and pick him up.  Keeps me totally sober--good thing--but he can't see at night--bad thing.  Seems like yesterday I was at the toddler park with the stroller, now my toddler is 27.  Where'd it go?

Thanks for being there, folks.  REALLY looking forward to new season, or teased follow-ups on fall.

Is 100 degrees now as Dem debate wraps up.  New kittens Sputnik (Russian Blue-like) and Amber (should probably name her "Ocicat" because she's spotted ) are bouncing off walls, and our bed.  I realize littermates can have different dads.

Thumpety thumpity thump at 3:00 am.  They've learned to operate the "cat dancer" wire toy with each other, flicking it all over the house.  Should vacuum, but it's too damn hot!

Love!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/5/2019 at 10:09 PM, ProTourist said:

Problem is I'm not quite old enough to retire and receive social security and medicare, so in another few months I'll be stuck -- unless someone decides to hire me before then. Well, I do have an interview coming up on Monday. And the third of my three IT classes coming up on Saturday. The classes are good, they get me out of the house and around technicians again; and the additional knowledge doesn't hurt.

Can AARP put in touch with anyone who can help with senior hiring?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/8/2019 at 2:30 PM, Hellga said:

I discovered that the Acme supermarket - not the small one in my town but the big one 20 minutes away - bakes awesome croissants.  And they are just a $1 a pop, which is a lot less than the croissants at freestanding bakeries around here.  And my Mom discovered that Fresh Thyme by her house sells croissants for just 50 cents a piece after 5pm.  It's a gateway addiction food made easy!  

Thank you for not sending the ants!  One time, when I was a kid, I was at a camp and one of my roommates picked up some shells at the beach and put on them on the windowsill to dry.  Being naïve inland kids we didn't think to check whether those shells were empty... so that evening, the windowsill was FULL of ants, and of course, our little bed stands where we all had some snacks were invaded too.  I will never forget!    

Cacti are beautiful (especially the ones that look deceptively fuzzy!).  I think it makes total sense to not have lawns in the climate not meant for lawns.

Yes, here in California I have seen really beautiful "native" landscape alternatives to lawn.  They are beautiful, with rocks, lavenders and other Mediterranean plants.

Reality is:  you have to "kill" your lawn with cardboard and/or black plastic and rip out the roots.  Here we have "clay" soil; after the last March rain you have to chisel out weeds, let alone tenacious Burmuda Grass.  It's cheaper to keep her, the lawn, that is.  And unless you have the means to hire a contractor, it's grass by default.  Its a welcome green patch in a dry landscape.

Mowing in summer here means watering lightly beforehand and wear a dust mask.  Yes, it doesn't rain (mostly) between April and October, but it is hot and dry.  Hence the wildfires.

Now my husband wants to move to a place (Las Vegas) with 2" rain a year.  😶

When we toured Hoover Dam (it's fantastic!) in July 2013 it was an unreal 125 degrees.  It really was.

  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM, Carboncat said:

Yes, here in California I have seen really beautiful "native" landscape alternatives to lawn.

I have a neighbor with a very beautiful native lawn, so much so I've been tempted to knock on his door and ask how. I ripped up my little bit of lawn years ago, and now have native drought tolerant plants. Very happy with a few plants, but still has a bare corner. Tried to plant a bare root crape myrtle there but it didn't take. Might try again.

Is looking forward to rain and cooler weather.

My latest obsession is frozen fruit. Hot weather, frozen cherries. 
 

Share this post


Link to post

Hmmm cheesy tater tot casserole from Sarah’s story.  ... not something we have over here .. but a quick google shows it as quite a staple over there .. it sounds rather nice 😳

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Hmmm cheesy tater tot casserole from Sarah’s story.  ... not something we have over here .. but a quick google shows it as quite a staple over there .. it sounds rather nice 😳

Well, I can say that I had never heard of it (in NYC) prior to Sarah's story. I'd heard of Tater Tots, and ate them as a child, but did not know of the casserole. It might be a regional specialty. 😊

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

TLC's current schedule is showing another rerun for Wednesday October 2 -- Brandon's Story from Season 7. But I won't get my hopes up that this might be a harbinger for an early return of the series. . . .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, ProTourist said:

Well, I can say that I had never heard of it (in NYC) prior to Sarah's story. I'd heard of Tater Tots, and ate them as a child, but did not know of the casserole. It might be a regional specialty. 😊

It actually sounds quite nice 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/8/2019 at 9:40 PM, ilovebeaarthur said:

Good way to eat grits! I never had them until I met my husband. His mother’s family is Southern, and they like to add sausage or cheese, both are delicious additions. 

I am not fond of them for breakfast, but I love shrimp and grits for supper as well as grillades and grits.  Yum. 

On 9/8/2019 at 1:19 PM, Hellga said:

I am 60% chocolate, 20% croissants and the rest is other baked goods.

Are you me?  maybe not, as I  have a percentage of gelato as well.   

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I actually love meat, fruit and dairy at least as much as I love sweets and baked goods. 🙂   During Lent, I have no problem not eating sweets, I have a lot of trouble giving up meat but I can do it, but dairy is something I never even attempt to go without.   When I was a child, I would drink something like three pints of goat's milk per day.  As an adult I don't drink a lot of milk plain, but between milk, yogurt, sour cream and cheese it us a major part of my diet still. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/22/2019 at 5:16 AM, nokat said:

I have a neighbor with a very beautiful native lawn, so much so I've been tempted to knock on his door and ask how. I ripped up my little bit of lawn years ago, and now have native drought tolerant plants. Very happy with a few plants, but still has a bare corner. Tried to plant a bare root crape myrtle there but it didn't take. Might try again.

Is looking forward to rain and cooler weather.

My latest obsession is frozen fruit. Hot weather, frozen cherries. 
 

Yes, native plants and rock gardens are beautiful.  Nothing like the grays and purples of salvias and lamb's ears etc..

I have always been a passionate gardener, and now I find I can't really do it anymore.  Perhaps that's where the snark comes in....don't really mean it. It is so much back-breaking work to change it,

We have Bermuda grass, a runner-like grass that grows all into your flowerbeds, but refuses to grow in bald spots.  It is impossible to hack from clay soil in summer.  It's cheaper to keep her like said..  Even when it's not appropriate.  I so want to move, but my job is here.  What's new?

Checking in: miss you guys!  The FIRST re-run I'm seeing is "Brandon's story" next Wednesday.

Brandon was sweet and so honest..  We haven't had any TLC re-runs here, and my husband unintendedly pressed something that erased all our recordings.  Gosh!  All those "Gunsmoke" episodes gone!  Darn!

Weather is so strange, after weeks of 90's and yesterday 103, we are graced with 68 high and fog.  So grateful.  Nights when pillows radiate heat, not coolth, are trouble.  Here in my California Rite-Aid , when it's 103 outside, they not only have harvest  stuff in the aisles, but I see snow-globes and holiday popcorn tins as well.

Maybe I'll open on for the next Live Chat. Love!

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, ProTourist said:

TLC's current schedule is showing another rerun for Wednesday October 2 -- Brandon's Story from Season 7. But I won't get my hopes up that this might be a harbinger for an early return of the series. . . .

I saw that! Maybe we can live chat the re-runs 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, ProTourist said:

TLC's current schedule is showing another rerun for Wednesday October 2 -- Brandon's Story from Season 7. But I won't get my hopes up that this might be a harbinger for an early return of the series. . . .

On 10/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, OoogleEyes said:

I saw that! Maybe we can live chat the re-runs 

According to TLC's currently-posted schedule, they will be re-running Holly's episode (season 7 episode 5) on Wednesday October 16. Anyone want to do a new live-chat on Holly?

[At this point, I doubt there will be any new episodes before January.]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

IIRC, Holly was pretty snarkable... but chat is not nearly as much fun when you know what happens next...  not sure I will join, but if people are there, i will come, because I miss live chats too.

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Hellga said:

IIRC, Holly was pretty snarkable... but chat is not nearly as much fun when you know what happens next...  not sure I will join, but if people are there, i will come, because I miss live chats too.

I'm game for a chat 😻 if others want too.  I'll be watching, since all my recorded episodes were deleted I love my 600lb life fix.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

21 hours ago, ProTourist said:

[At this point, I doubt there will be any new episodes before January.]

Just in time for my (continuation of) comfort food eating habit!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I visit the live chat for the people here, not the show. The snark is fun, and I have gasoline soaked drawers waiting.

Is going down the rabbit hole. I bought grapes and they are going in the freezer.
 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Just in time for my (continuation of) comfort food eating habit!

This time of year I want soups and stews, warm bread, and cookies. It's easier in the summer, when the heat means I eat salad and fruit.
 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, fellow Pounders.  I know it's hiatus time, and I'm looking forward to a viewing possibly live with you all next Wednesday.

I really come to this site for the folks;  I love the show, that's our common denominator, and I love sharing with people around our country!

I love the personal stories of weight loss, support, snarkiness, and common humanity.

I'm in a tough spot tonight.  Pacific Gas & Electric has announced it will turn of 800,000 customers in Bay Area for 5-7 days.  Of course their website is down, I think my house is "no impact"  we are in the "flat" area of San Leandro, but are included on some closure maps.  It's insane.  May go out at  midnight, or not.  Ice is out, gas is out, batteries are out, schools and critical tunnels are closed, and not a breath on the clothesline about these hellish fire-breathing winds.

I totally feel for fellow pounders impacted by floods, tornadoes and hurricanes.  If PG&E can't handle a PLANNED outage, what are they going to do in a major earthquake?  I escaped being crushed on the I 880 collapse on 10/18/89 because I happened to quit my job that day and was at home to dive under my kitchen table while the World Series browned-out on TV at 5:04 pm. My 3 story wood Victorian gave me a ride where I really don't like rollercoasters anymore.

Otherwise I would have been crushed on the freeway.  So, now's I have batteries in the flashlight and lanterns and don't really know.

Cats are comfortable, am trying a new pine litter.  It's cooler now, I really don't believe this "wind event".

Don't mean to make anyone uncomfortable but I feel good sharing with my Peeps and look forward to more LIVE CHATS!

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

Hi, fellow Pounders.  I know it's hiatus time, and I'm looking forward to a viewing possibly live with you all next Wednesday.

I really come to this site for the folks;  I love the show, that's our common denominator, and I love sharing with people around our country!

I love the personal stories of weight loss, support, snarkiness, and common humanity.

I'm in a tough spot tonight.  Pacific Gas & Electric has announced it will turn of 800,000 customers in Bay Area for 5-7 days.  Of course their website is down, I think my house is "no impact"  we are in the "flat" area of San Leandro, but are included on some closure maps.  It's insane.  May go out at  midnight, or not.  Ice is out, gas is out, batteries are out, schools and critical tunnels are closed, and not a breath on the clothesline about these hellish fire-breathing winds.

I totally feel for fellow pounders impacted by floods, tornadoes and hurricanes.  If PG&E can't handle a PLANNED outage, what are they going to do in a major earthquake?  I escaped being crushed on the I 880 collapse on 10/18/89 because I happened to quit my job that day and was at home to dive under my kitchen table while the World Series browned-out on TV at 5:04 pm. My 3 story wood Victorian gave me a ride where I really don't like rollercoasters anymore.

Otherwise I would have been crushed on the freeway.  So, now's I have batteries in the flashlight and lanterns and don't really know.

Cats are comfortable, am trying a new pine litter.  It's cooler now, I really don't believe this "wind event".

Don't mean to make anyone uncomfortable but I feel good sharing with my Peeps and look forward to more LIVE CHATS!

I heard about the closures on the weather channel and I cannot wrap my head around that.  Do they close everything? I live outside of Houston and a few times after a hurricane a lot of people will be out of electrical power for a week or two but we sit outside and cook on the BBQ grill with the fire danger can you do that?

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I heard about the closures on the weather channel and I cannot wrap my head around that.  Do they close everything? I live outside of Houston and a few times after a hurricane a lot of people will be out of electrical power for a week or two but we sit outside and cook on the BBQ grill with the fire danger can you do that?

Apparently we can, but we had so little notification.  It's getting light later and dark sooner.

If I go to work when am I going to BBQ?  Where am I going to stuff ice if this doesn't happen?.  The lack of information is frustrating; one website says my address isn't affected, but the "map" such as it it is envelopes my home.  All San Leandro school are closed tomorrow, gee, that's comforting.

Yes of course we can adapt like you Texans after hurricanes to inconveniences, but this is a planned 5-7 day power outage at whim of power company.  They don't want to be blamed for another wildfire, and can't even really tell us who they're going to  shut off for a week.

It's so disfunctional, and really scary. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Apparently we can, but we had so little notification.  It's getting light later and dark sooner.

If I go to work when am I going to BBQ?  Where am I going to stuff ice if this doesn't happen?.  The lack of information is frustrating; one website says my address isn't affected, but the "map" such as it it is envelopes my home.  All San Leandro school are closed tomorrow, gee, that's comforting.

Yes of course we can adapt like you Texans after hurricanes to inconveniences, but this is a planned 5-7 day power outage at whim of power company.  They don't want to be blamed for another wildfire, and can't even really tell us who they're going to  shut off for a week.

It's so disfunctional, and really scary. 

I can imagine how frustrated you must be. I do not understand why they need to cut of the electricity is it because they are afraid a line will snap in the wind and start a fire? I know you can adapt but it just seems so random , no way to prepare because you don't know what's happening. My thoughts are with you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Fellow Pounders, I have had an epiphany!

I am watching Schenee's episode again. Dr. Now just called her out on the fast food wrappers found in/near her hospital room. Of COURSE it's not her food! Oh, it's Freddy-The-Enabler's food...HE ate it! He even says so.

My idea? Start weighing the enablers along with the poundtestants. If Schenee is only dining on parsley sprigs and good intentions, and that extra-large pizza box is empty, and Freddy is claiming he's full...then weigh Freddie. He MUST be picking up some extra poundage

Keep calling their bluff, Doc Now! You rock!!

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello Pounders! I hope you all in the Bay area are ok. I can't even imagine what life would be like with no electricity for an entire week. What do businesses do? I work from home and would be SOL, I guess. 

It's drizzling and cool here. I needed something comforting to eat, so I made......A TATERTOT CASSEROLE! 

Thinking of yinz guys, and looking forward to our live chats once again 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, OoogleEyes said:

Hello Pounders! I hope you all in the Bay area are ok. I can't even imagine what life would be like with no electricity for an entire week. What do businesses do? I work from home and would be SOL, I guess. 

It's drizzling and cool here. I needed something comforting to eat, so I made......A TATERTOT CASSEROLE! 

Thinking of yinz guys, and looking forward to our live chats once again 

My retired husband has discovered "beyond" burgers and sausage.  He fries them every day, with peppers and onions.  I wish he wouldn't, but it's tasty.  Cats won't leave me in peace when I eat, but I don't think veggie burgers are good for them.

Mac and cheese is my comfort food and I'm making it now. Don't want to touch tater tot casserole right now.  Have lost pesky pounds that made my jeans uncomfortable and want  to leave room for beer and wine, my weekend essentials.

Thanks for the kind thoughts about our dysfunctional planned power outage here.  So much unclarity and stress.  We Americans endure hurricanes, blizzards, floods, earthquakes, etc...

I feel for you all fellow Pounders (Americans) with this.

We just past the 30'th anniversary of Loma Prieta Earthquake in northern Californina.  It is one of those things where people ask "Where were you?" like when JFK was shot.

BTW when Kennedy was shot I was in Ohlbergs Market in Fresno with my mom in Fresno, CA.

The day of the earthquake in 1989 I resigned frim my job (had another lined up) and left work at 2;00.  Was a weird, hot, dusty day with tension in the air.  Otherwise at 5:04 I would have been on 880 freeway leaving Berkeley.  Later spoke to a colleague driving a box truck who was literally the last one off as the freeway collapsed in his rearview mirror.

I dove under a table as the World Series browned out on the 3rd floor of a wood Victorian.  It swung and swayed, but held up just fine except for the  brick chimney.

We were without electric, gas, or water for 4 days.

They had a shaking re-enactment exibit at the DeYoung museum in SF.  I used to take my young son to this science museum a lot when he was young, but I never wanted to go on the "re-experience Loma Prieta"ride,  No thanks, once is enough.

I feel like I can share some of this local color with you because I feel I have internet friends across the country with a common interest as Pounders. Thanks for the fellowship in these hiatus times.

Looking forward to Live chats!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Amazing tales of near-misses (or as my father never tired of pointing out "near hits") but I wondered if anyone else is watching Fat City?  I watch in hopes of getting to see the plastic surgeon's wife's WIDE OPEN EYES.  It's a shit show imo.  Dr. Now has no competition.

Share this post


Link to post

I was in New Jersey for a training session today and stopped by a Wegmans on my way home.  On one hand, I miss them a lot.  On the other, if I had one near my house all these years, I would weigh 400 pounds and never learn to cook from scratch...   It's amazing what one can buy in terms of meals just ready to pop in the oven or mix up and serve...  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Some of the big grocery stores in Texas have cooking demonstrations, delivery options, ready to cook food already prepped.   The Poundticipants who claim there are no health options are lying.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Some of the big grocery stores in Texas have cooking demonstrations, delivery options, ready to cook food already prepped.   The Poundticipants who claim there are no health options are lying.   

Even 7-Elevens offer salads ,so I totally get you. And it's always possible to order the simple hamburger from fast food places instead of the triple-patty glop-burger (or two).

And no thanks I don't want fries with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi to everyone!  My heart goes out to anyone in the Dallas area impacted by the tornadoes.  I can't imagine how frightening a screaming tornado is in the middle of the night, and how devastating the destruction.

My husband is going on a business trip to Las Vegas tomorrow and is taking the laptop.  So no live (rerun) chat for me Wednesday, but I look forward to unfettered housecleaning, and no Thursday Night Football.

Thursday is supposed to be in the mid-90's.  Whatever happened to the "nip" of fall?  Why is Christmas stuff in the aisles at Walmart? When can I wear long sleeves, or even (gasp!) a sweater?  Why do I have to be tan and do my feet for sandals into Thanksgiving?

No politics intended at all folks, but I think the climate is changing, regardless why.

Just on the riff of road hazards dating back to Vianey's mattress flying off their pickup:

Today on commute radio I was warned of a "medium sized" propane tank on the freeway, 

A small tank would be better if you hit it?

Driving back to work from Hayward at 3:00 traffic was delayed by a violent overturn for no apparent reason but driving too fast. WTH? How the heck do you DO that?

And 680 freeway was delayed not only by major grassfire, but also overturned boxtruck that spewed nails and screws all over 4 lanes, AND a motorcycle accident.

This is the 3rd nails accident in 3 months.  What gives?

In 1998 I was caught in a nails spill on the way to Carpenter Apprentice school;  flat tires all around, cars running out of gas, flat tires all around.  I turned off my engine and busted out the cinnamon Pop-Tarts. Everyone else was going to be late, including the instructors.

You've just got to love it or you'll go crazy.

I can't wait to retire!  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have joined the ranks of unemployed and looking today.  My company had a 25% reduction in force, effective immediately, since the sales have failed to pick up for three quarters...

My big issue is whether I am going to be able to stay in my current home.  There are only a couple companies in my industry within a comfortable driving distance...  crossing to a different role or a different industry is a possibility, but I am not sure that is something I would prefer over moving.   Moving back to Jersey may be an option.  Not that I regret having bought my townhouse nearly four years ago, but moving was way easier when I was a renter!  I didn't have to worry about selling, I cast a wider geographic net from the very beginning... 

I keep reminding myself that I have good savings and I am getting severance for a few months, but my instinct is to cut all expenses to bare bones and frantically start applying.  I went for a walk at a nature preserve to clear my head and avoid rushing through things... I have to update my resume, for example, before I can even apply!   

Please wish me luck, my fellow pounders. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Hellga said:

I have joined the ranks of unemployed and looking today.  My company had a 25% reduction in force, effective immediately, since the sales have failed to pick up for three quarters...

My big issue is whether I am going to be able to stay in my current home.  There are only a couple companies in my industry within a comfortable driving distance...  crossing to a different role or a different industry is a possibility, but I am not sure that is something I would prefer over moving.   Moving back to Jersey may be an option.  Not that I regret having bought my townhouse nearly four years ago, but moving was way easier when I was a renter!  I didn't have to worry about selling, I cast a wider geographic net from the very beginning... 

I keep reminding myself that I have good savings and I am getting severance for a few months, but my instinct is to cut all expenses to bare bones and frantically start applying.  I went for a walk at a nature preserve to clear my head and avoid rushing through things... I have to update my resume, for example, before I can even apply!   

Please wish me luck, my fellow pounders. 

I’ve been in this position before, and it’s no fun. Give yourself some time to process what’s happened, and be easy on yourself! Fingers crossed for you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/23/2019 at 5:26 PM, Hellga said:

I have joined the ranks of unemployed and looking today.  My company had a 25% reduction in force, effective immediately, since the sales have failed to pick up for three quarters...

My big issue is whether I am going to be able to stay in my current home.  There are only a couple companies in my industry within a comfortable driving distance...  crossing to a different role or a different industry is a possibility, but I am not sure that is something I would prefer over moving.   Moving back to Jersey may be an option.  Not that I regret having bought my townhouse nearly four years ago, but moving was way easier when I was a renter!  I didn't have to worry about selling, I cast a wider geographic net from the very beginning... 

I keep reminding myself that I have good savings and I am getting severance for a few months, but my instinct is to cut all expenses to bare bones and frantically start applying.  I went for a walk at a nature preserve to clear my head and avoid rushing through things... I have to update my resume, for example, before I can even apply!   

Please wish me luck, my fellow pounders. 

So sorry this has happened to you Hellga, and I do wish you the best of luck. Your severance pay will prevent you from receiving unemployment benefits for a while (in New York) but you can go ahead and apply and the state will figure out your eligibility date. If you're lucky, you may even be back to work before then. 😊

I'm still unemployed, sixteen months now. Have applied for over six hundred jobs so far, no offers as yet.

If I can help with any info, such as good job boards to use for your search, just private message me. Hang in there, kiddo, and I hope you won't have to relocate. 🙏

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size