Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Dis a bad sitshuashun--   I just brought figs home from the farmer's market.   They are another gateway fruit---actually I think they are worse than grapes.   Help!!!!

You poor kid. Perhaps this will help you to Just Say No:

  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

Dis a bad sitshuashun--   I just brought figs home from the farmer's market.   They are another gateway fruit---actually I think they are worse than grapes.   Help!!!!

The green/white ones are even better than the black.  Fresno Armenian speaking here....so sorry,  fruit addiction is really tough..... hate to say that fig trees can be grown inside for wintery climates.  Still waiting to hear about my blind prospective kitties;  will visit Sunday!

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

The fig trees need to be placed by a sunny window.  They may or nor fruit, but if they do.....it's thrilling.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Prayers (no snark intended) to any Pounders and families in path of flooding...😟

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Carboncat said:

The green/white ones are even better than the black. 

These figs are light brownish.   A friend has a tree and has had a cage built around it to keep the birds out.  We had a tree in Florida, but my dad never thought to cage it.   Someone else I know put a cage around her tomato plants.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

These figs are light brownish.   A friend has a tree and has had a cage built around it to keep the birds out.  We had a tree in Florida, but my dad never thought to cage it.   Someone else I know put a cage around her tomato plants.

I remembered the name of those luscious figs--Calimyrna.  Caging is good, it's so disappointing when your long-awaited produce is made off with before harvest.  It happened to our solo watermelon a couple of years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Twopper said:

Dis a bad sitshuashun--   I just brought figs home from the farmer's market.   They are another gateway fruit---actually I think they are worse than grapes.   Help!!!!

The ultimate gateway fruit is probably strawberries.  And they are used to make the dreaded sugar-free strawberry jam, too!

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Twopper said:

Dis a bad sitshuashun--   

I read this as "shituashon" which is probably correct. 

Yay! Fresh figs!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Yay! Fresh figs!

No one is concerned about the dead wasps inside those figs ??

[See video posted above.]

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

No one is concerned about the dead wasps inside those figs ??

Well, I am NOW!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

When I was a little girl, I bit into an apricot only to realize that a) something else was eating it first and b) I have eaten half that something.  Ever since I prefer to cut up my fruit rather than bite into it (with some exceptions). 

Though apricot worms are big... in raspberries, they are teeny, so we ate raspberries in the garden as kids, if you happened to eat one inadvertently, you told yourself "oh well, extra protein". 

  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/5/2019 at 10:13 AM, nokat said:

I know who to call if I need to hide a body. 
 

Except for one thing nokat. One must have actual bodies to be buried and I'm still working on that. Will get back to you when I'm ready, LOL! 😊

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/1/2019 at 1:17 PM, fonfereksglen said:

It was illegal to sell yellow margarine in stores when I a kid.   

I remember my mother using the dye pack that was included, and mashing it up so that it was yellow.  That was a VERY long time ago.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I remember my mother using the dye pack that was included, and mashing it up so that it was yellow.  That was a VERY long time ago.

So glad you remember that....after a while you think you make this stuff up!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

So glad you remember that....after a while you think you make this stuff up!

Even my husband now... he'll wax nostalgic about the tastiness of possum or squirell in gravy (total AAcckk!)  but can't remember mixing the oleo with the yellow.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think squirrels are cute and I would rather feed them (where they will eat out of your hand, like some parts of the Battery Park) than eat them, but I would imagine they taste just like rabbits.  Which are also very cute, but very tasty (my Grandma kept angora rabbits for their soft wool, which she would spin and add generously to sheep wool when knitting socks and mittens, but every now and when a rabbit would end up roasted or stewed).  I have cooked rabbit a few times as an adult, but you can't replicate the old wood-burning oven taste in an electric oven.  Still yummy, but not the same.  Just like my crepes are never anywhere close to the amazing ones Grandma made.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, Hellga said:

When I was a little girl, I bit into an apricot only to realize that a) something else was eating it first and b) I have eaten half that something.  Ever since I prefer to cut up my fruit rather than bite into it (with some exceptions). 

Though apricot worms are big... in raspberries, they are teeny, so we ate raspberries in the garden as kids, if you happened to eat one inadvertently, you told yourself "oh well, extra protein". 

Same thing with artichokes--I love them, but it pays to carefully cut up the heart and check for that "extra protein".

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/10/2019 at 11:18 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

I'm at work so my eating habit is always the same: two hard boiled eggs and a home baked naan, with a cup of tea, for breakfast. A banana at about 11. Yogurt at about 12:30, and a granola bar sometime in the afternoon. Tonight I will probably have a lean cuisine since I am out of salad greens. And the yummy tuna/chickpea salad I made a coupe of days ago. I baked this past weekend, white chocolate chip and cranberry cookies, and a lemon bundt cake, but I gave most of it to my brother, who is accepting payment in the form of baked goods for his help with a plumbing problem I had a few weeks back.

Sigh. I'm going to miss live chat!

A healthy diet is best with cooked foods or whole vegetables, both in terms of health and diet, and it's easy to prepare them, and you can get help with plumbing problems online, not waiting for your brother.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2019 at 12:31 PM, OoogleEyes said:

Ok, I've watched a couple of episodes. They are absolutely lovely! Thanks for the tip!

I have Acorn and have been obsessed with the Aussie and NZ shows, and this is perfect!

Have you watched “A Place to Call Home”? It reminds me of an Australian “Dynasty” or something, but with much better acting!

i picked approximately one zillion pounds (or “pound”) of blueberries today. I don’t recall where they fall on the Fruit of Doom scale so wish me luck that I won’t end up gaining 400 lbs. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/15/2019 at 7:55 AM, Hellga said:

I think squirrels are cute and I would rather feed them (where they will eat out of your hand, like some parts of the Battery Park) than eat them, but I would imagine they taste just like rabbits.  Which are also very cute, but very tasty (my Grandma kept angora rabbits for their soft wool, which she would spin and add generously to sheep wool when knitting socks and mittens, but every now and when a rabbit would end up roasted or stewed).  I have cooked rabbit a few times as an adult, but you can't replicate the old wood-burning oven taste in an electric oven.  Still yummy, but not the same.  Just like my crepes are never anywhere close to the amazing ones Grandma made.  

I can imagine the skill involved in getting a wood-burning oven's temperature just right.  My husband grew up in Morristown, NJ in a family of 10 kids (!);  apparently they supplemented with hunting.  Safeway here in California used to sell rabbit, but I haven't seen it in years.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Have you watched “A Place to Call Home”? It reminds me of an Australian “Dynasty” or something, but with much better acting!

i picked approximately one zillion pounds (or “pound”) of blueberries today. I don’t recall where they fall on the Fruit of Doom scale so wish me luck that I won’t end up gaining 400 lbs. 

I have watched "A Place to Call Home" but then I became aggravated with the Sarah Adams character because she became more Judgy McJudgerson than her mother in law.  Maybe I'll revisit it. 

Good luck with those blueberries! I just  bought some Rainier  cherries. Holy moly,  talk about a gateway fruit...

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

I have watched "A Place to Call Home" but then I became aggravated with the Sarah Adams character because she became more Judgy McJudgerson than her mother in law.  Maybe I'll revisit it. 

Good luck with those blueberries! I just  bought some Rainier  cherries. Holy moly,  talk about a gateway fruit...

Sarah got on my nerves too, no matter how much I tried to like her. That whispery voice...

The evil SIL was my favorite. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Carboncat said:

 Safeway here in California used to sell rabbit, but I haven't seen it in years.  

Here in NY I sometimes see it in my regular ShopRite, but there is also an Italian butcher shop not too far off my way from work which can order just about any meat as long as you give them a couple days to source it.  

I wanted to go pick gooseberries this weekend (despite the godawful heatwave) but when I called the farm, they said someone came and picked their entire stock.  Next year they should have more as new plantings start to fruit, but boy am I disappointed.  Berries are absolutely my fruit of doom.  I guess storebought cherries and blueberries it is...

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Is watching My Giant Life on TLC. How did I miss this? I feel closer to these people than the 600 pounders. Is short comparatively, but still got called stretch, big bird, string bean, etc.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Hellga said:

Berries are absolutely my fruit of doom.

I've eaten so many cherries this season, I could look like Willy Wonka's Violet, but I'd be sweet cherry red. Strawberries I eat only as sugar free jam on crackers./snark
 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

I have watched "A Place to Call Home" but then I became aggravated with the Sarah Adams character because she became more Judgy McJudgerson than her mother in law.  Maybe I'll revisit it. 

Good luck with those blueberries! I just  bought some Rainier  cherries. Holy moly,  talk about a gateway fruit...

I haz ranier cherries!!   

I was going to mention that my dad's family has been in Pensacola for ages, and he used to talk about gopher stew.  My mother moved there as an adult, and she claimed she never had it.  Until about 12 years ago, I thought my dad meant gophers as in prairie dog type animals, but I found the recipe in an old Pensacola cookbook, and it turns out a gopher is a gopher tortoise.    http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/escambiaco/2018/06/19/our-magnificent-miner-the-gopher-tortoise/

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Hellga said:

I wanted to go pick gooseberries this weekend (despite the godawful heatwave) but when I called the farm, they said someone came and picked their entire stock.  Next year they should have more as new plantings start to fruit, but boy am I disappointed.  Berries are absolutely my fruit of doom.  I guess storebought cherries and blueberries it is...

I have blueberry bushes, three of which are now wrapped in netting to protect them.  Luckily for me though my husband will eat everything I pick so there won’t be much left to tempt me!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, OoogleEyes said:

I have watched "A Place to Call Home" but then I became aggravated with the Sarah Adams character because she became more Judgy McJudgerson than her mother in law.  Maybe I'll revisit it. 

Good luck with those blueberries! I just  bought some Rainier  cherries. Holy moly,  talk about a gateway fruit...

Yeah, it starts with cherries....next thing you know it's grapes, then figs...(just to try them, you know)...then before you know it you're strung out on DATES!

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Yeah, it starts with cherries....next thing you know it's grapes, then figs...(just to try them, you know)...then before you know it you're strung out on DATES!

I went from grapes to cherries.  Figs are calling my name. I go into a date coma once a year.  So much good fruit this time of year. Snorts powdered figs.
 

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Yeah, it starts with cherries....next thing you know it's grapes, then figs...(just to try them, you know)...then before you know it you're strung out on DATES!

There is a container of dates across from me now.   I am a bit stuffed from just finishing dinner.  My eating habit tonight---- spaghetti sauce plus portabello mushrooms  over zucchini swirls. Then fresh peaches with sprinkles of grapenuts for crunchiness for dessert.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

There is a container of dates across from me now.   I am a bit stuffed from just finishing dinner.  My eating habit tonight---- spaghetti sauce plus portabello mushrooms  over zucchini swirls. Then fresh peaches with sprinkles of grapenuts for crunchiness for dessert.   

OOh!  Sounds delicious!  I used to try the hot grapenuts cereal from the recipe on the box.  Was great, but my teeth aren't quite up to it now.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

There is a container of dates across from me now.   I am a bit stuffed from just finishing dinner.  My eating habit tonight---- spaghetti sauce plus portabello mushrooms  over zucchini swirls. Then fresh peaches with sprinkles of grapenuts for crunchiness for dessert.  

That dinner though, no boxes needed. Well, except for the grapenuts, and how about the recipe?
 

Share this post


Link to post

My husband mentioned today that he is getting frequent weight loss product and large-size ads on his phone.  I myself have noted that a lot of the pop-up swimsuit and fashion ads I get have suddenly featured large-size models since I've started chatting on this forum.  I get stuff like "Skin Reduction Surgery--Cheap!"  He's mildly annoyed;  I find it hilarious.  I suggested he start watching the show too  (truth be told he already does, but won't fully admit it.  He'll set up the laptop for me for Live Chat).

At least I don't have Alexa or "smart" appliances; certainly not the Wedgewood stove!  As for the fridge, it may not make ice cubes,  but it's not spying on me.  Alas the internet, what can you really do!

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

My husband mentioned today that he is getting frequent weight loss product and large-size ads on his phone.  I myself have noted that a lot of the pop-up swimsuit and fashion ads I get have suddenly featured large-size models since I've started chatting on this forum.  I get stuff like "Skin Reduction Surgery--Cheap!"  He's mildly annoyed;  I find it hilarious.  I suggested he start watching the show too  (truth be told he already does, but won't fully admit it.  He'll set up the laptop for me for Live Chat).

At least I don't have Alexa or "smart" appliances; certainly not the Wedgewood stove!  As for the fridge, it may not make ice cubes,  but it's not spying on me.  Alas the internet, what can you really do!

Laughing. I don't need my fridge making noises at my choices. Second bowl of cherries, and I'm yelling at the fridge "don't judge me! "

Nope, stay out of my life, fridge.
 

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, nokat said:

That dinner though, no boxes needed. Well, except for the grapenuts, and how about the recipe?
 

Original recipe:

1/4 cup Grapenuts

1/3 cup milk

1 tsp butter (optional)

1 tbs brown sugar (optional)

combine in saucepan, bring to boil briefly, remove from heat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Carboncat said:

Original recipe:

1/4 cup Grapenuts

1/3 cup milk

1 tsp butter (optional)

1 tbs brown sugar (optional)

combine in saucepan, bring to boil briefly, remove from heat.

Thank you!
 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, nokat said:

Laughing. I don't need my fridge making noises at my choices. Second bowl of cherries, and I'm yelling at the fridge "don't judge me! "

Nope, stay out of my life, fridge.
 

Only the cats know...and they're not talkin'!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Carboncat said:

Only the cats know...and they're not talkin'!

Who are you kidding? Cats will talk and gossip. :D
 

  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2019 at 8:41 PM, dreadfulLeigh said:

Has anyone watched 800 Words, I believe it was called? I saw it on demand, watched the first episode then realized that was the only one for free 😑😒

I know it's kind of late in the week, but if any of you old folks (like me!) still have cable (like me!) Comcast/Xfinity has free Acorn through the 21st and all 3 seasons of "800 Words" is on there. A fun little show!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, nokat said:

That dinner though, no boxes needed. Well, except for the grapenuts, and how about the recipe?

This is one of those easy to assemble meals I use after a busy day (I had spent what seems like forever making a shrimp and bacon pizza for lunch and then did eleven hundred loads of laundry after going to the gym).   I had used part of a bottle of the Bertoli spaghetti sauce for the pizza so I used the other half for dinner, added a package of portabellos from the produce section and served it over the swirls.  The swirls are from the frozen section and come in a bag (instead of a box).  I think I may try the butternut squash swirls next time.   So it was actually more of a packaged dinner than you might have thought.    The zucchini swirls are actually called spirals, but we call them swirls for some reason.   Green giant veggie spirals.

10 hours ago, Carboncat said:

OOh!  Sounds delicious!  I used to try the hot grapenuts cereal from the recipe on the box.  Was great, but my teeth aren't quite up to it now. 

We tried it once of twice, but decided we preferred to have regular oatmeal;  sometimes I add a tbsp or two of the grapenuts to the oatmeal for a little crunch.   My fav way to eat grapenuts is with fresh peaches and vanilla yogurt.   Yummy, just yummy!!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have cherries, grapes AND oranges in my kitchen right now.  I shall gleefully succumb to temptation when I get back home from work. 🙂 

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Only the cats know...and they're not talkin'!

Cat  PurrsALot may not have anyone to talk to about it, but he is always silently judging.  Or at least he looks like he is. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

I know it's kind of late in the week, but if any of you old folks (like me!) still have cable (like me!) Comcast/Xfinity has free Acorn through the 21st and all 3 seasons of "800 Words" is on there. A fun little show!

I saw that! After this convo, is went to look and saw they were on demand! I watched the first season. I didn’t realize it ends on the 21st. Guess I’ll need to settle in for some serious tv watching 😆 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Hellga said:

I have cherries, grapes AND oranges in my kitchen right now.  I shall gleefully succumb to temptation when I get back home from work. 🙂 

And now it's PEACH SEASON!

We're going to have to develop a "Fruit of Doom" scale....from 1 to 10...with 1 being the worst (best)?

So far, we have grapes, strawberries, cherries, figs, dates, blueberries,  oranges and PEACHES. Will watermelon and cantaloupe be far behind?

Edited by OoogleEyes

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, nokat said:

Who are you kidding? Cats will talk and gossip. :D
 

Not if they want that new cat tree!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Carboncat said:

Not if they want that new cat tree!

Cat tree? They only want the box it came in. :D
 

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

And now it's PEACH SEASON!

Not here... here some early varieties have started ripening, but peaches really won't be really in season for another couple weeks.  And then YES, I will eat them.  Last year, I empirically determined that the most peaches I can eat in one sitting is eight.  I could probably push myself some more, but then it would be a while before I could eat another peach without disgust, and at eight I can eat them every day, pretty much.  I went to an orchard and gathered some 15 pounds of peaches so I needed to eat a lot of them every day. 🙂   This year I will try to control my peach-picking better, but it's so hard to resist when there are delicious peaches everywhere around, and so many different varieties, so I have to get a few of each... 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Hellga said:

This year I will try to control my peach-picking better, but it's so hard to resist when there are delicious peaches everywhere around

Good luck with your peach eating control. Fresh peaches though.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Hellga said:

Not here... here some early varieties have started ripening, but peaches really won't be really in season for another couple weeks.  And then YES, I will eat them.  Last year, I empirically determined that the most peaches I can eat in one sitting is eight.  I could probably push myself some more, but then it would be a while before I could eat another peach without disgust, and at eight I can eat them every day, pretty much.  I went to an orchard and gathered some 15 pounds of peaches so I needed to eat a lot of them every day. 🙂   This year I will try to control my peach-picking better, but it's so hard to resist when there are delicious peaches everywhere around, and so many different varieties, so I have to get a few of each... 

Maybe fresh, in season peaches should be #1 on the "Fruit of Doom" scale 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...