Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

Recommended Posts

On 3/24/2018 at 11:34 AM, aliya said:

Did anybody else see that our lovely Nikki has gotten married!  I don't know this site (was looking up some mess about Twit's weight gain), but the pictures look real.  I'm happy for her.

She looks fabulous! Its so nice to hear about a success story. 

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, Kid said:

I just saw this and I’m so sorry for your loss. I was wondering why Sophia Petrillo the second was not commenting.

sorry for your loss :(

Share this post


Link to post

FYI:  Buying Naked, a House Hunters show without clothes, has 2 episodes showing tomorrow/Friday at 3 & 3:30 AM, on TLC.
NOT salacious at all, but can be pretty funny.
Features the most carefully posed shots I've ever seen on TV.
It has a forum, but I'm the only one who ever posted, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, auntjess said:

FYI:  Buying Naked, a House Hunters show without clothes, has 2 episodes showing tomorrow/Friday at 3 & 3:30 AM, on TLC.
NOT salacious at all, but can be pretty funny.
Features the most carefully posed shots I've ever seen on TV.
It has a forum, but I'm the only one who ever posted, I think.

One of the funniest  shows I have seen in a long time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Today, for a moment I felt like I was at a gathering on My 600 Pound LIfe.  While at a family gathering for a meal, my mom makes an announcement that everyone must have second helpings.  She says this with a smile as another family member who is morbidly obese gets seconds!  I cannot believe how clueless she is.  She actually watches My 600 Pound Life and criticizes those who cater to the whims of the obese.  THEN, she has the nerve to make such a comment.  What a sabotager. Why can't people just leave you alone and let you eat what you want?  So frustrating. I was happy to make my plate getting one serving of most things on table with very small portions.  And, I was plenty full. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Here's something that makes me feel really old.  REALLY.
Dorothy Hamill, the the young skater with the cute haircut, is now on TV doing a commercial for something to fix crepey skin.
hamillskates-58bf067a5f9b58af5cb277fe.jp

Edited by auntjess
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I adopted a rescue kitty from the SPCA yesterday.  He's a 22-pound purring machine!  He was listed as a humanitarian adoption because of his obesity, although his "fighting weight" will probably be around 16 pounds.  My other cat, Max, is about 15 pounds and can cheerfully lose a few as well.  My vet (who hasn't met the new cat yet - his name is Diesel because he's the size of a freakin' locomotive!) will probably put them on a weight loss program.  They have one, like Weight Watchers for cats.  I can see it now, the entire household counting points.....  But there's got to be a better way!

Can Dr. Meow come to my house to talk to my cats about their eating habit?   Can we have a show called My Nine 22-Pound Lives?  Does poor Diesel have to have closed captioning for his meows that say "Oww my paws?"

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, IOU Payne said:

I adopted a rescue kitty from the SPCA yesterday.  He's a 22-pound purring machine!  He was listed as a humanitarian adoption because of his obesity, although his "fighting weight" will probably be around 16 pounds.  My other cat, Max, is about 15 pounds and can cheerfully lose a few as well.  My vet (who hasn't met the new cat yet - his name is Diesel because he's the size of a freakin' locomotive!) will probably put them on a weight loss program.  They have one, like Weight Watchers for cats.  I can see it now, the entire household counting points.....  But there's got to be a better way!

Can Dr. Meow come to my house to talk to my cats about their eating habit?   Can we have a show called My Nine 22-Pound Lives?  Does poor Diesel have to have closed captioning for his meows that say "Oww my paws?"

Can he lick his own butt?

I love cats and I especially love a nice sturdy one. Best wishes that you get his eating habit back to normal!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

What inspired you to adopt now? 

Glad you asked!  My cat Iggy passed away in January from kidney failure at the age of 18.  I'd had him since he was a kitten.  It took all this time to be ready to welcome a second cat into my house.  We'll see what my other cat Max says.  As much of a doofus kitty as Max is, he apparently is very territorial, because he can intimidate a cat that could crush him like a bug by sitting on him. More kissing, less hissing, please! 

And it looks like Diesel is okay with licking himself.  Also with eating.  He trotted over to get the liquid from the can of salmon I took for lunch.  

Cats like Diesel are not considered very adoptable.  I think the volunteers at the SPCA were surprised when I kept calling every four hours to make sure nobody else had snapped him up.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, IOU Payne said:

[H]is name is Diesel because he's the size of a freakin' locomotive!

Now I’m picturing some sort of weird Andrew Lloyd Webber crossover where the largest cat from Cats (whose name I’ve forgotten) is dressed up as Greaseball the diesel engine from Starlight Express.  And still on roller skates. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Did anybody else see that our lovely Nikki has gotten married!  I don't know this site (was looking up some mess about Twit's weight gain), but the pictures look real.  I'm happy for her.

How about that? Good for her. Did we know Nikki was LDS?

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/4/2018 at 2:08 PM, IOU Payne said:

Glad you asked!  My cat Iggy passed away in January from kidney failure at the age of 18.  I'd had him since he was a kitten.  It took all this time to be ready to welcome a second cat into my house.  We'll see what my other cat Max says.  As much of a doofus kitty as Max is, he apparently is very territorial, because he can intimidate a cat that could crush him like a bug by sitting on him. More kissing, less hissing, please! 

And it looks like Diesel is okay with licking himself.  Also with eating.  He trotted over to get the liquid from the can of salmon I took for lunch.  

Cats like Diesel are not considered very adoptable.  I think the volunteers at the SPCA were surprised when I kept calling every four hours to make sure nobody else had snapped him up.  

Congratulations!  My daughter adopted a 20-pound cat from a shelter.  His ideal weight is 15, but he was waiting in the shelter for 6 months and he put on all that excess.

So, she had a health problem last summer and had to move home with this big chunk of sassy cat (and her dog).  At the time, I had 2 kittens, ages 8 months.  He stomped into my room, trying to own the place, and the little female kitten chased him down the hall!  

Fast forward to last winter - big kitty developed a serious constipation problem. Had to be hospitalized and even 4 enemas could not completely clear it up.  I learned that the extreme obesity damages their intestines.  We've been getting him through, though. He's down to 13.5 pounds and still struggles but he's such a character, we give him our all.

Edited by Trees
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I made chicken parmesan with Angel hair pasta for our Sunday dinner.  Despite all I learned this week, I fully cooked the pasta and did not add any extra sugar to the sauce!  It was delicious.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:34 AM, aliya said:

Did anybody else see that our lovely Nikki has gotten married!  I don't know this site (was looking up some mess about Twit's weight gain), but the pictures look real.  I'm happy for her.

Thank you for posting this.  She is finally away from her mother from hell and looks happy, healthy and finally, loved.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/4/2018 at 5:50 PM, IvySpice said:

How about that? Good for her. Did we know Nikki was LDS?

Yes.  It was a random pop up in her supersized episode.

Edited by fonfereksglen

Share this post


Link to post

35 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Thank you for posting this.  She is finally away from her mother from hell and looks happy, healthy and finally, loved.

I liked her a lot and am so happy for her. I don’t recall her mother being especially horrible, but I haven’t rewatched it since the initial episode. I’ll look for it to cycle around on the dvr and watch it again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

Yes.  It was a random pop up in her supersized episode.

Really?! I didn't know that. I hate to go all LDS stereotypes, but maybe that's why her family was nice and generally supportive. We believe that families are together forever - as a unit. It's one of the reasons I converted - when you're going to be with the same people forever, you make more of an effort to be nice to them and learn to deal with them in the right way while you're here.  We're not perfect (Nikki's mom), but they sure were a much better example of a family than other people we've seen on this show (Nicole, I'm talking to you).

Wait, I must be dumb as heck - how could I have missed the temple behind the two of them and her modest wedding gown?  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I posted about being landlord on Schenee's thread and decided to continue the discussion over here :)

I'm in a great position to have a rental because I live next door.  The rental was my Dad's place and is on five acres. Our house is on the five acres next door, so it's not like we're right next to each other. The renters from hell lied about how many animals they had and I was stupid to trust them in the first place and I was a rookie and made stupid rookie mistakes. Like not doing a walk through at least once a year. I got sick of her lies about why the rent was late and the final straw was when they called after they let the toilet overflow into the hallway. Thankfully, it was only water! I gave them 90 days to move and she waited until the last minute (of course) and wound up leaving a bunch of ramshackle sheds they'd built for chickens and pigeons behind the garage for me to deal with. They had way too many birds and because there was a constant food source, there were huge rats everywhere in the pasture behind the garage and under the garage. When my son used the excavator to pick up one of the sheds, rats the size of small cats poured out of the ground under it. It was so gross. Thankfully, the rats didn't decide to investigate the house! The house...........

The house and yard was pristine when they moved in. I told them if they didn't want to take care of the yard (which is pretty small), I'd hire a landscaping company to do it and add it to the rent. They both said they loved to work in the yard and would take care of it. They did for a little while. I have no idea how many cats were in the house. But, it looked like cats were locked in all three bedrooms. There was cat pee in the window frames, all the carpet, cat poop on the walls of one bedroom and everything was scratched up.  The master bedroom was the prime litter box and we had to hire a company that cleans biohazard messes to work on it and one other bedroom. Sheetrock was removed, subfloor was removed and it was treated with an enzymatic protein digester. It took three treatments (only two for the second bedroom) and the cost was $2700. All of the molding had to be thrown away and the doors and casings to the bedroom and the master bath had to be thrown away and replaced. Cat pee had soaked both about 6 inches up from the floor. The carpet in the master was brand new when they moved in and along with pee, the entire floor had cat poop stains all over it. The only place free of poop stains was where the bed was. It was so disgusting. And, they were sleeping in there-yuck! The toilet in the master bath was so scary, I had the handy man I hired replace it. The thought of cleaning it was nightmare inducing.

The hardwood floor in the living room and dining room was urine stained and all scratched and gouged up. $2200 to refinish it. The house was filthy and I spent weeks cleaning and painting the entire thing. We replaced all the carpet with high quality laminate flooring and I spent three days sealing all the subfloor with original Kilz before the flooring guys installed the new floors.

The screen doors were trashed from their dogs, all of the walls were filthy and covered in small holes, they left the stovepipe from their wood stove hanging in the middle of the living room so the ceiling and roof had to be patched, the very nice window shades were all ruined, etc. I told myself to be grateful that none of the windows were broken and the cabinets were dirty but not damaged. For reasons unknown to me, every window  and the sliding glass door had duct tape residue covering their frames. It took me days and 8 ounces a orange essential oil to get that shit off of everything!

The slovenly renters left without letting me know for a walk through and she left me a voicemail telling me the keys and a note was on the kitchen counter. They left a cashier's check for $3k 'to help with cleaning and getting the yard back in shape'. After I'd had time to assess all the damage, I called her. I was so pissed, I was shaking so hard I had to sit down. I'd written a sort of script to help me not get sidetracked when she went off (like I knew she would). I took a gamble on threatening her with going to court and having to pay my court costs when she lost and she agreed to pay me a total of $10k. They'd been sued and garnished before and didn't want another judgement against them. He dipped into his retirement to pay me. I came up with the amount before I knew how bad things were and how much it was going to cost. But, I'm glad I was about to offset a decent chunk of what we had to spend to get it fit for habitation again. 

ALWAYS use a rental management company with a good reputation to vet tenants! It usually costs one month rent if you don't have them do all the managing and it's worth every penny :) 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This was posted to a 600 Lb Facebook page.
A UK woman wants to be world's fattest, and has married a chef.

Hell, go to the TV channel's page.  They make TLC look like PBS.
ETA: I hadn't listened earlier.  The channel is UK, but the couple seem to be American.


http://www.barcroft.tv/

Edited by auntjess
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

This was posted to a 600 Lb Facebook page.
A UK woman wants to be world's fattest, and has married a chef.

Hell, go to the TV channel's page.  They make TLC look like PBS.
ETA: I hadn't listened earlier.  The channel is UK, but the couple seem to be American.


http://www.barcroft.tv/

This little darling has been around for many years.  She lives in Arizona . . . here's a link to a Phoenix article about her.  She was on at least one talk show (Dr. Phil?  Dr. WhatsHisName?).  Once she realized they weren't going to talk to her about her wonderful goal to be the world's fattest bride, but instead were offering help and information on losing weight, she lost interest quickly.  Never lost an ounce.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I hate to go all LDS stereotypes

I have a different angle on this context...being an unmarried and childless woman at age 32 puts you in great company in some communities. In an LDS community, you're an old maid everybody takes pity on. Yeah, families are forever, and you didn't build one! You get to sit at your mom's table through all eternity (an especially exciting prospect for Nikki). No temple photo for you. You fail.

This information makes me feel for Nikki more. It's no picnic for anyone to be single if they would rather be married. But for an LDS woman, as for women in some other religious communities like Orthodox Jews, a life as a single professional woman is NOT equal to a life with marriage and children. The marriage and children path is understood as the right path for everyone. People who are left out feel it hard.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, Showthyme said:

My family is obese - 300+ pounds and I have worked to maintain a reasonable weight because I never wanted it to happen to me. I too, am a sexual abuse victim. With support, the cycle can be broken. 

The problem with sexual abuse and trauma, in general, is that it tells you that you must be less than you are because you somehow deserve the abuse. Sexual abuse victims use weight to make them less desirable so they can avoid sex. There is learned helplessness that comes with victimization. Being 600 pounds puts you in a helpless state so you live what you know. 

Today, sexual abuse victims can tell their story and get help. Our mother's generation was expected to keep quiet about abuse so some of them are talking for the first time.

My therapist said that my obese mother was busy feeding herself instead of me. 

But, turning to food doesn't really work. Most went on to have children and I think a few were even raped after their weight gain so, it doesn't seem to make things better or keep sex away. Apologies if this sounds abrupt or lacking empathy, just can't wrap my mind around it. In fact, before watching this series I had no idea people coped with abuse this way.

I agree that changing times are making it better for victims. I am also the victim of abuse, but went down the MMA route which helped with the feelings of helplessness. That wouldn't have happened a generation or two ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

But, turning to food doesn't really work. Most went on to have children and I think a few were even raped after their weight gain so, it doesn't seem to make things better or keep sex away. Apologies if this sounds abrupt or lacking empathy, just can't wrap my mind around it. In fact, before watching this series I had no idea people coped with abuse this way.

I agree that changing times are making it better for victims. I am also the victim of abuse, but went down the MMA route which helped with the feelings of helplessness. That wouldn't have happened a generation or two ago.

You beat me to it, because I was just pondering this yesterday and was going to mention it here. Although the majority of the women featured on this program report childhood (or teenage) sexual abuse and/or rape, most of them go on to have boyfriends/husbands with whom they presumably have sex (those that have children most certainly did - at least once for each child).

It's really a question for me, because it does make sense, even if it were subconsciously, for someone who was sexually abused to want to make themselves as sexually undesirable as possible (even though we know sexual abuse/rape aren't sexually motivated). But if someone believed that to be true, why would they then engage in presumably consensual relationships involving sex?

I'm truly just wanting a better understanding of the dynamic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Addressing some thoughts that came up in the Jennifer and Marissa thread about obesity being a result of sexual abuse.

I can only speak for myself.  I was sexually abused for 12 years (4-16) by my female birth vessel's live-in boyfriend.  (You can tell from how I refer to them that there's not a lot of "mother" talk coming from me.)  I did not become obese because of it.  I was fairly thin until I was in my 40s and a doctor put me on Paxil for depression.  I then gained well over 100 pounds (the medication killed my desire to do much other than lying on the couch, and giving into my desire to eat).  As soon as I went off the Paxil, I lost 140 pounds, but now that I'm in my 70s, I struggle every day to balance eating and exercise to keep my weight under control.  

While I did not gain weight, I think I turned to religion to "protect" myself from the abuse.  I was hyper-religious for many years.  Now, I'm still a Christian, but we don't go to church.  Learning to enjoy the intimate part of marriage was difficult, but with a loving husband we got past that hurdle.

We all have our ways of dealing with abuse.  But to abuse yourself is not a wise choice.  Eating to the 600+ pound range is self-abuse.  We need to love ourselves more than that.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

I always feel bad when sexual assault is involved, I knew a girl who was raped in university....it was like the light went out of her eyes. She ended up dropping out and we lost touch but I will never forget how altered she was, it was like speaking to a completely different person.

God I hate hearing this.  My niece was kidnapped, beaten and raped and held for 12 hours at knife point, before she escaped,last summer(while at college) and although she is getting therapy, I am so scared for her future.  She seems to be doing ok but my sister says that she has been having anxiety attacks and very bad dreams.  This was a total stranger(gang member broke into her apt complex) and it took the police three days to catch the piece of shit. I wish they would have killed him or someone else would have killed him before the cops caught him...there were folks out there trying, too.  Sorry to go off topic here but this breaks my heart to hear of sexual assaults. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Addressing some thoughts that came up in the Jennifer and Marissa thread about obesity being a result of sexual abuse.

I can only speak for myself.  I was sexually abused for 12 years (4-16) by my female birth vessel's live-in boyfriend.  (You can tell from how I refer to them that there's not a lot of "mother" talk coming from me.)  I did not become obese because of it.  I was fairly thin until I was in my 40s and a doctor put me on Paxil for depression.  I then gained well over 100 pounds (the medication killed my desire to do much other than lying on the couch, and giving into my desire to eat).  As soon as I went off the Paxil, I lost 140 pounds, but now that I'm in my 70s, I struggle every day to balance eating and exercise to keep my weight under control.  

While I did not gain weight, I think I turned to religion to "protect" myself from the abuse.  I was hyper-religious for many years.  Now, I'm still a Christian, but we don't go to church.  Learning to enjoy the intimate part of marriage was difficult, but with a loving husband we got past that hurdle.

We all have our ways of dealing with abuse.  But to abuse yourself is not a wise choice.  Eating to the 600+ pound range is self-abuse.  We need to love ourselves more than that.

I’m so very sorry that happened to you @AZChristian, many (((Hugs))) to you. 

 

I am not going to pretend that I know what these women & men have been through, I thankfully have never been a victim of abuse or sexual assault. (I’m finding at 32 that kind of makes me rare which pisses me off!) 

But to respond to @TwirlyGirly‘s question as to why someone would want to shield themselves with weight yet want to have consensual sexual/romantic relationships- well human beings are complex. Being a victim of abuse and not wanting that to happen again (or that effecting your self esteem and well being) doesn’t change your basic human needs. MOST (not all) adults have an innate need for partnered sex and emotional intimacy- in our culture people get that through romantic relationships. They may go about finding it in unhealthy ways but the need/drive etc (whatever you want to call it) doesn’t change. Also- feelings aren’t always logical. You may know intellectually XYZ is bad for you but you keep doing it. The same reason people get addicted to drugs and alcohol (also gambling). Human beings are complex. 

Well most of them, some are just foul- like Lisa (hated her guts) and Schenee (hated her too) also Steve Ashanti. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Hi there. I'm new here.

It's fascinating to watch this show. I'm only on the overweight/obese line, but I understand food addiction fully. All I've ever thought about was food - mostly bad food. I can see parallels to my own life in some of these cases, although my family was normal and decent compared to a lot of these families.

My family has morbid obesity. My mom at one point was morbidly obese (she's normal weight now), and my gram was huge as were a few aunts and some of my cousins. I've always been careful to avoid that because I see what it brings. Plus - diabetes runs in my family and I do NOT want that.

It's hard and I do have sympathy for them except when they act like babies or screech. If you're an alcoholic, you can avoid booze. If you are addicted to cigs, once off them you can keep them out of the house. Food - and bad food - is EVERYWHERE.

 

Anyhow - nice to have found this place. I like this and the Call the Midwife forums.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

It's really a question for me, because it does make sense, even if it were subconsciously, for someone who was sexually abused to want to make themselves as sexually undesirable as possible (even though we know sexual abuse/rape aren't sexually motivated)

I had a co-worker many years ago that responded to a rape that way.  She lived in a rural state where counseling services were few and far between.  However, she didn't become morbidly obese--she became extremely anorexic.

Quote

My family has morbid obesity. My mom at one point was morbidly obese (she's normal weight now), and my gram was huge as were a few aunts and some of my cousins. I've always been careful to avoid that because I see what it brings. Plus - diabetes runs in my family and I do NOT want that.

My family is the exact opposite--the only two people who are morbidly obese are my cousin and I.  My siblings, parents, other cousins, etc. are/were all normal weight.  Neither my cousin nor I are anywhere near the weight of the patients on this show, but we are still far overweight for our heights (5 foot tall and 4 foot eleven).  I am trying to get motivated as it is hurting my quality of life and I want to be close to a normal weight before I turn 60 in a few years.

Kudos to you, Bonzie, for bucking the trend in your family.  I have a close friend whose entire family are whale sized (to be unkind), but she buckled down in her 40s, went on a diet, changed her lifestyle, and now, over 15 years later, has kept the weight off.  So, it is possible and you can certainly buck the trend.  I'm trying to use my friend as inspiration--it's no mean feat to make such a change in your 40s and then, stick with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2018 at 12:41 PM, IvySpice said:

I have a different angle on this context...being an unmarried and childless woman at age 32 puts you in great company in some communities. In an LDS community, you're an old maid everybody takes pity on. Yeah, families are forever, and you didn't build one! You get to sit at your mom's table through all eternity (an especially exciting prospect for Nikki). No temple photo for you. You fail.

This information makes me feel for Nikki more. It's no picnic for anyone to be single if they would rather be married. But for an LDS woman, as for women in some other religious communities like Orthodox Jews, a life as a single professional woman is NOT equal to a life with marriage and children. The marriage and children path is understood as the right path for everyone. People who are left out feel it hard.

Didn't see this earlier. I converted as an older adult.  You are absolutely right about the marriage culture. It can be very hard on what I call 'born Mormons.'  It's also difficult if you're a widow like myself and have been married, but aren't currently, because almost every friggin' thing is about married couples (or how to get people to be a married couple). On the other hand, as an older single sister, I get a lot of treats delivered to my door at holidays. So there's that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So, this afternoon I was playing my favorite game: Gin Rummy Plus on my phone. And you never know who you’re going to be playing with, Just how many coins you’re willing to play for. Anyway, who should pop up but, wait for it.......

OW Mah Leg! James K!!!!   I saw his name first , then looked at his picture, and sure enough!  It was him! It was very surreal. I thought you guys would get a kick out of this, and I figured this would be the thread to post it on.  Btw, I won. Ha!

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

About Bettie Jo and her "cancer":  a lot of folks are really pissed at her for lying about cancer because they've had it in themselves or their families and (rightly) don't think it's anything to lie about.  I suggested she might have wanted to have cancer so chemotherapy would make her lose weight.

I've had cancer twice (breast and kidney), and when I was having chemo I really did think I'd become gaunt from nausea and disinterest in food.  So I stocked up on goodies and managed to gain 40 lbs!  Then, when I sobered up and stopped having cheesecake for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, and went into radiation, well, damned if the lovely folks at the hospital didn't keep the radiation waiting room stocked with bowls of candy--and I mean *good* candy, like little Snickers bars.  I was totally fucked.  After treatment, I gradually lost the weight I'd gained from cancer treatment.  The only benefits (besides being rid of my breast cancer--it's been five years now) are that a) I learned that I rocked the bald head (for some reason my eyebrows didn't fall out, which was cool) and 2) my hair, always flat and straight, grew back curly.  That went away though.

Anyway, I'm not as offended as others by Bettie Jo's lying about having cancer.  Her lies didn't devalue the experience I had with the disease; it didn't disrespect the horrible deaths of my father and my mother-in-law from cancer.  Bettie Jo is crazy, and you can't let the lies crazy people tell upset you.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Is this a clue to Bettie Jo's "cancer"?

The owners of eight-year-old St. Bernard Maisy were concerned for her health when they took her to the vet.... A CT scan performed on Maisy showed that she had an abnormally full stomach and a mass on her spleen...  Maisy's vet diagnosed her with cancer, she was immediately rushed into surgery to have her spleen taken out. While she was under, vets discovered .. four teddy bears... in her stomach.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/225788/20180420/st-bernard-diagnosed-with-cancer-but-closer-inspection-revealed-it-was-four-teddy-bears.htm

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Mothra said:

Is this a clue to Bettie Jo's "cancer"?

The owners of eight-year-old St. Bernard Maisy were concerned for her health when they took her to the vet.... A CT scan performed on Maisy showed that she had an abnormally full stomach and a mass on her spleen...  Maisy's vet diagnosed her with cancer, she was immediately rushed into surgery to have her spleen taken out. While she was under, vets discovered .. four teddy bears... in her stomach.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/225788/20180420/st-bernard-diagnosed-with-cancer-but-closer-inspection-revealed-it-was-four-teddy-bears.htm

You are TERRIBLE! I love that about you. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Mothra said:

Is this a clue to Bettie Jo's "cancer"?

The owners of eight-year-old St. Bernard Maisy were concerned for her health when they took her to the vet.... A CT scan performed on Maisy showed that she had an abnormally full stomach and a mass on her spleen...  Maisy's vet diagnosed her with cancer, she was immediately rushed into surgery to have her spleen taken out. While she was under, vets discovered .. four teddy bears... in her stomach.

Only if they were gummy.

On 4/20/2018 at 3:30 AM, Bunnygirl said:

So, this afternoon I was playing my favorite game: Gin Rummy Plus on my phone. And you never know who you’re going to be playing with, Just how many coins you’re willing to play for. Anyway, who should pop up but, wait for it.......

OW Mah Leg! James K!!!!   I saw his name first , then looked at his picture, and sure enough!  It was him! It was very surreal. I thought you guys would get a kick out of this, and I figured this would be the thread to post it on.  Btw, I won. Ha!

Some nightclub entertainer did an ice breaker bit, but asking everyone to write down their celebrity connection.  It was things like "my sister baby-sat for Janis Joplin's cousin," or "my co-worker used to live next door to John Travolta's aunt."
YOU now have a celebrity connection!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The idea that Munchhausen's Syndrome might be used as a legal defense--say, in a case of insurance fraud, as another poster suggested--has sent me down the rabbit hole of trying to learn more about this disorder.  On the Bettie Jo and Susan part of the board, I said that Munchausen by Proxy, where a child is made to seem ill by an adult actually doing something to create symptoms, seems to me to be a prosecutable offense because the adult must know that she is doing something intentionally to harm the child.  This, from Wikipedia, about M. by proxy:

There is growing consensus in the pediatric community that this disorder should be renamed "medical abuse" to highlight the harm caused by the deception and to make it less likely that a perpetrator can use a psychiatric defense when harm is done.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factitious_disorder_imposed_on_self

What this seems to suggest is that Munchhausen's is indeed used as a psychiatric defense.

So that's one question answered.

(I hope I'm not the only person obsessed by this disorder)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I pulled a calf muscle last week and after a weekend of staying off my feet and icing it down, I am able to get around much easier today. During the healing process, I found myself saying several times "Ow, my leg!" and thought, "Stupid poetic justice!"

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

20 hours ago, CatherineM said:

HOW the heck did she snatch a purse?  In a getaway mobility scooter?

I picture a Benny Hill style wacky scooter snatch

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2018 at 1:07 AM, CatherineM said:

HOW the heck did she snatch a purse?  In a getaway mobility scooter?

Perhaps she tucked it in a roll of fat? Under a titty perhaps?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Something unfair is going on.
ID Channel has a wine club, http://wineclubid.com/, with My,My, Merlot, for Kenda, and other crime-show named wines.
Is there a reason that TLC can't do this.  Maybe something a bit more downscale, but how about Ow, Mah Leg Lager, for the first offering?
I leave it to you folks to join in here.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Something unfair is going on.
ID Channel has a wine club, http://wineclubid.com/, with My,My, Merlot, for Kenda, and other crime-show named wines.
Is there a reason that TLC can't do this.  Maybe something a bit more downscale, but how about Ow, Mah Leg Lager, for the first offering?
I leave it to you folks to join in here.

I think it would have to be a “frahd chicken of the day” club. 

This just popped into my head: John Belushi as a very heavy Liz Taylor choking on a chicken bone. Why don’t any of these chicken inhalers ever choke?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I think it would have to be a “frahd chicken of the day” club. 

This just popped into my head: John Belushi as a very heavy Liz Taylor choking on a chicken bone. Why don’t any of these chicken inhalers ever choke?

Classic!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Why don’t any of these chicken inhalers ever choke?

For that matter, how can people eat, when they're lying flat, or almost flat, in bed?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/26/2018 at 8:53 PM, AntAnn said:

I can believe Dr. Now’s patients are very scared to step out of their comfort zone and talk to someone. Most of them seem so isolated in their food habit. Some haven’t left their house for years or even meeting new people. Add to that a fear of being judged and maybe even chastised for their behavior. Scary stuff. 

I'm bringing this over from the "Where are they now" topic.

This reminded me of a documentary I watched last week on Netflix: Shut Ins: Britain's Fattest People. The image that came up on the screen when I clicked that link, shows the woman who is one of the two morbidly obese people featured on the show (the guy next to her is her hubs, and he's not the other featured person).

I admit, I fell asleep and missed quite a bit of it, but both the super obese "shut-ins" featured had psychological issues and had counseling. They were shut-ins because of their enormous weight (600+ pounders) but IMO the show presented their psychology and marital dynamics pretty well. The woman who was featured was married to a guy who likes "big women" but we learn he also is beyond introverted - has social anxiety - while his wife, who gained 100+ pounds after they married, enjoys getting out and about. My takeaway was that while he was feeding and caring for her, and thus allowing her to live in her food addiction, it served his needs that she was too big to get out of the house. It was creepy, people. He was shown on the show building himself a shed in the back garden, with no windows, where he could go and essentially hide from the world. While his wife, who was trying to lose weight, would have liked to get out of the damn house now and then. 

The other "shut in" was a youngish guy with an even younger wife, who wasn't very pleasant to her. On camera. I FF'd or slept through most of his scenes but I did catch a therapist talking about depression, and I can see his outbursts as not untypical of someone who's depressed. At the end he and his wife were shown going out and she said it was nice that at age 21 she could go out and have a little fun like normal people. She was really sweet and I hope things continue to go well for them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size