Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

A co-worker did WW and lost a lot of weight, but she was absolutely obsessive about points - talking constantly about what she ate and how much she exercised.  One morning, she came in crying because a guy had dumped her because she had a "weight issue."   A co-worker later said "Isn't it awful he dumped her because he thought she was fat?"  I said "He said he dumped her because of a weight issue. She does have a weight issue; she is obsessed with her weight."  It was annoying to listen to her talk about it through the workday. I can only imagine what it would be like on a date. 

A co-worker did WW and lost a lot of weight, but she was absolutely obsessive about points - talking constantly about what she ate and how much she exercised.  One morning, she came in crying because a guy had dumped her because she had a "weight issue."   A co-worker later said "Isn't it awful he dumped her because he thought she was fat?"  I said "He said he dumped her because of a weight issue. She does have a weight issue; she is obsessed with her weight."  It was annoying to listen to her talk about it through the workday. I can only imagine what it would be like on a date. 

I can't imagine telling all my co-workers and especially a potential boyfriend if I was doing WW or a diet.  It's just better if no one knows.

Sadly, the Windex and comet thing seems normal to me.  While growing up, any dessert type thing in the house would eventually be sprayed or covered in detergent.  

Edited by non sequitur

I can't imagine telling all my co-workers and especially a potential boyfriend if I was doing WW or a diet.  It's just better if no one knows.

Sadly, the Windex and comet thing seems normal to me.  While growing up, any dessert type thing in the house would eventually be sprayed or covered in detergent.  

I wouldn't have a problem sharing that information, especially if I thought the coworker or potential mate could/would be supportive. Talking about it to death though is something I wouldn't do.

• Love 2

People that share too much or constantly obsess about their diet are very tiresome. It makes the listeners who are fatter feel guilty and ones who are thinner self conscious. Either way they just wish the person would shut up already!

• Love 4

People that share too much or constantly obsess about their diet are very tiresome. It makes the listeners who are fatter feel guilty and ones who are thinner self conscious. Either way they just wish the person would shut up already!

Yes! Shut up, eat your salad and be sad. Just don't make me listen to it all day everyday. I had a friend who was exhausting with this shit. She'd say "Let's go to the Burger Palace for lunch" and then she would spend the entire time moaning about how bad the burger was for us. How many calories were in the burger. How fat she felt after the burger. You just wanted to punch her in the gut to help her upchuck the spdamn burger.

There has to be some sort of balance. Count me in as one who wasn't a fan of WW. After going to a number of meetings, you started to see the same faces and stories over and over. It was as if some exchanged the food addiction for a meeting addiction. The hard core would talk about how many different meeting groups they belonged toand how many stickers they earned. No thanks.

I do think some can really benefit from the program and learn how to scale back on meals. I always thought of myself as a pretty healthy eater but even I was surprised by what a "serving" of cereal looks like. Serving for who? My gerbil??

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 5

Those recipe cards are truly hilarious. I know my mom did WW back in the early 80/s but she never made anything weird that I recall. 

The hardest part that I recall for her was not being allowed to eat any bread (maybe one slice a day, or half slice) and being very grumpy

from semi-starvation..the program was extremely restrictive back then. You had to drink 2 glasses of skim milk a day, it was part of the program, like it or not and her leader would tell people to hold their nose while drinking it if they couldn't stand it. 

One of the hardest parts about losing so much weight, in my experience, was people asking me about it so often. Going from a size 22 to a size 10 can kind of mess with your head a bit, especially since in the time I've lived in my town and my kids were little, I was pretty much size 18-22 that entire time. Sometimes I just didn't feel like talking about it and answering people's questions...and having to reassure people I didn't have cancer or was sick, I didn't have an eating disorder, etc. It was very weird, because it's not something you can hide from others..if you're suffering from depression or an anxiety disorder, you might very well be able to hide that, but weight is very visible, and people are extremely judgmental about it, both positive and negative. I had some of my friends' husbands check me out and make joking comments sometimes, and that was also extremely uncomfortable as well. 

• Love 4

In April of 2007,  I was 120 lbs heavier then I am now. I was tired of being FAT so I went on the 'stop eating crap diet'

No more Wendy's, Burger King, McDonald's, beer, wine, soda. I became a vegetarian, and started drinking 1 gallon of water a day,  I walked everywhere that I went. (if possible)  When the weather wasn't nice, I walked on a treadmill.

It took me 8 months to lose 120 lbs and I have keep it off to this day.

Starting weight:  April 2007258.3

Weight now:        March 2015  138.6

I am 5'7"

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 16

Is it just me or what. Ever since I starting watching this show a few months ago, I've been noticing more really obese people. 

Before this show I think I tried not to notice them since staring is impolite. Now I can't help but wonder about them.

My running group regularly goes past one or two obese people jogging along the waterfront. They run for a while and rest and run a little more and rest. They're doing something that is more challenging than anything I've ever done. 

• Love 5

One concept I'm not familiar with is "feeling full". I'm maintaining my ideal weight(by eating less and exercising but I have never ever felt "full". On occasions I have eaten a huge amount of food and could have easily eaten more, so I've never used "feeling full" as a message that I've eaten enough. I've always eaten quantities that I thought my body needed and no more.

Is there something wrong with me?

• Love 1

One concept I'm not familiar with is "feeling full". I'm maintaining my ideal weight(by eating less and exercising but I have never ever felt "full". On occasions I have eaten a huge amount of food and could have easily eaten more, so I've never used "feeling full" as a message that I've eaten enough. I've always eaten quantities that I thought my body needed and no more.

Is there something wrong with me?

We have a food industry that never wants people to feel full. The best I did with managing it was drinking a lot of water and eating slower.

• Love 1

I was once prescribed a medication for my chronic insomnia.  It didn't work, so my doctor couldn't justify prescribing it any longer.  But while I took it, I was never hungry.   I wasn't nauseated.  Food tasted perfectly fine when I ate it. I just never felt the need to eat.  Mid-afternoon, I would realize I hadn't eaten a bite since getting up, so ate something just because I thought I should.  I also realized I never felt full; I went to a small dinner party, where all the guests ate all of the same courses.  By the end  of the evening, everyone was moaning "I'm stuffed, I couldn't eat another bite."  I could have eaten the entire meal over again.  I lost 15 pounds in about 5 weeks without even thinking about it.  I'm sure there's a scientific study there somewhere!

• Love 3

I was once prescribed a medication for my chronic insomnia.  It didn't work, so my doctor couldn't justify prescribing it any longer.  But while I took it, I was never hungry.   I wasn't nauseated.  Food tasted perfectly fine when I ate it. I just never felt the need to eat.  Mid-afternoon, I would realize I hadn't eaten a bite since getting up, so ate something just because I thought I should.  I also realized I never felt full; I went to a small dinner party, where all the guests ate all of the same courses.  By the end  of the evening, everyone was moaning "I'm stuffed, I couldn't eat another bite."  I could have eaten the entire meal over again.  I lost 15 pounds in about 5 weeks without even thinking about it.  I'm sure there's a scientific study there somewhere!

I haven't been sleeping well lately. Do you remember the name of that med?

• Love 5

That happened to me with a med for depression. I just never wanted to eat, it felt like a chore. And this is completely thr opposite of my normal. Alas, it didn't work for depression either so I went off of it and my appetite and obsession with food came roaring back. Sigh.

• Love 3

In April of 2007,  I was 120 lbs heavier then I am now. I was tired of being FAT so I went on the 'stop eating crap diet'

No more Wendy's, Burger King, McDonald's, beer, wine, soda. I became a vegetarian, and started drinking 1 gallon of water a day,  I walked everywhere that I went. (if possible)  When the weather wasn't nice, I walked on a treadmill.

I am 5'7"

Good for you !      You are proof it can be done.    

• Love 1

We have a food industry that never wants people to feel full. The best I did with managing it was drinking a lot of water and eating slower.

So they have brainwashed me, you say?

My dh was watching a little of this show with me and he said  " Dude, you know that I love you, we have been married 23 years but if you let yourself get to 600 + lbs. I'm going to put you in a HOME and get on with my life" 

lol

• Love 5

I eat at McDonalds once a week (no more) and I can easily fit it into a 2,000 calorie day. Their salads are very good. Unlike many places these days, you can get a small amount of food there without ordering off the children's menu. A hamburger is 400 calories. 

• Love 1

I got a lot out of the weight watchers meetings, but mainly having someone weigh you each week and record it in a booklet was very helpful. You could look back and see that you were actually chipping away and if you had a bad week, you would see how it really slowed you down and wasted 2 weeks - by not making progress in the present week. I have done it multiple times, even in high school in 1976! That was hard- 2 bread per day back then and I loved my bagels and bread!

I learned a of tips at the meetings. The last time I went was 2008 and I lost 30 pounds and have kept it off. However, I ride my bike 200 miles a week now. However I cannot eat whatever I want. If I do the weight starts creeping back on. When I get up ten pounds I watch for several months to get back to where I need to be. It's a constant struggle. As a 54 year old athlete, who was born fat and with weight issues, it is something that never goes away no matter how much you exercise.

• Love 1

A couple of times I tried to do WW on my own (and without paying - you can find the info online) but I only really did it for lunches/snacks during the work week and dinners/weekends I kinda let myself to whatever. It worked pretty well.  The point system really help me a lot in terms of snacks and lunches. 

I also started to exercise around the same time so both of those combined I managed to lose 15 pounds in a few months I think. 

I maintained a 10 pound weightloss for the past 3-4 years and suddenly put on another 5 within a few months which kinda freaked me out lol

so now i'm just trying to get back into exercising and not pig out.  I do not like restricting myself with food.  But I have a system where I try to eat pretty ok during the week (drink lots of water, no pop) and only eat out day for lunch (usually friday). 

I got really tired of my treadmill so I decided to join one of those online fitness things where you pay a monthly fee and get to choose from hundreds of exercise videos to do. I really REALLY like it.  Only been a couple of weeks with that so sadly no results yet lol

I am 5'7"

WTG! Keep up the good/hard work.

• Love 1

Thank you. I will never be FAT again. Yesterday, I went online to see the 'suggested' weight for a person my size.

it says that my ideal weight for a female, 5'7" with a medium 'frame type  is  133-147

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 1

I am 5'7"

Curious if you are familiar with the Weight Control Registry - http://www.nwcr.ws/ - sounds like you would be an ideal candidate for their research (if you're into that type of thing)

The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR), established in 1994 by

Rena Wing, Ph.D. from Brown Medical School, and James O. Hill, Ph.D. from the University of Colorado, is the largest prospective investigation of long-term successful weight loss maintenance. Given the prevailing belief that few individuals succeed at long-term weight loss, the NWCR was developed to identify and investigate the characteristics of individuals who have succeeded at long-term weight loss. The NWCR is tracking over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time. Detailed questionnaires and annual follow-up surveys are used to examine the behavioral and psychological characteristics of weight maintainers, as well as the strategies they use to maintaining their weight losses.

I was in the hospital last year for a month, and had many roommates.  One was for sure a My 600 lb wannabe.  I never got a really good look at her since she never got up and when they did anything to her, they drew the curtain.  But she sat there and ate all damn day and night.  She had the kitchen on speed dial, I'll bet.  I bet she reads here so I won't say much.  Nothing much wrong with her though, and the hospital tried to get rid of her, finally degrading accommodations in an effort to move her on out.  Apparently if you make a big stink hospitals are wary about bouncing your butt out.  Afraid of lawsuits I guess.

Since we are on the topic of WW, have you all seen the vintage WW recipe cards that someone posted a while back? http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html Shows just how much the program has changed in the past 40 years!

That's awesome. "Shit on a shingle." Hee. Love the background decorations for the pictures. I'm all for being supportive for weight struggles. These meals would never be something I'd encourage. This diet truly must have been horrible. Someone needs to make a buzzfeed with each picture and then a better recipe under it-something people would actually want to eat. No jellied mushrooms with a side of frozen black coffee.

• Love 1

I've been reading online and watching episodes of this show over the past week.  One thing that I keep reading is that "healthy food costs more than cheap stuff.  That's why so many poor people are overweight."

To a large degree - that's poppycock.

We went to Sam's Club yesterday.  A package of shredded lettuce/carrot/red onion salad mix is $1.98  For TEN servings.  Add in some chopped hard-boiled eggs (also not expensive), and even if a large person eats double portions, that's less than $.50 per serving. 

We also bought (as we do every week) a tray of their raw mixed veggies - carrots, peppers, green beans, cauliflower, and broccoli; I think it's about $10 - and lasts these two people a full week.  We can't even eat all the carrots in that timeframe.  I spent about 15 minutes chopping up the leftovers from last week's tray and mixed them with some pre-packaged vegetable and chicken broth.  This morning, I'll chop up a couple of frozen chicken filets, season everything, and let it cook in the crockpot all day.  This will last us AT LEAST for 3 evening meals for 2.  For PENNIES.

What people don't seem to take into consideration with the "fattening food is cheaper" argument is that people eat TOO MUCH.  It's smarter to eat smaller portions of NOURISHING food - rather than large portions of empty calories.

Trust me - I came to this knowledge really late in life.  In my late 50s, I went through a horrible depression, and one of the side effects of the medication I had to take was hunger.  I know what it's like to just stuff your face with anything that's edible, and then to lay around doing nothing all day.  I am just under 5 feet tall, and ended up at almost 300 pounds.  My knees hurt constantly, but I kept holding onto the hope that things would get better.  Literally on the day I started cutting and weaning off the medication, my appetite became controllable.  I continued to eat what I wanted, but my brain would send a message of "You're full.  You don't want the rest of that.  Choose to leave it on the plate."  And I stopped!

I am now in my late 60s.  Due to metabolic changes, it is harder to maintain and/or lose weight.  I weigh half of what I used to weigh, but still about 20 pounds more than I'd like.  Every day, I walk a minimum of 6 miles, and I CHOOSE to eat and be healthier than I was back then.

It's all a matter of choice.  I wish some of these people on My 600-pound Life would "get" that. 

• Do I choose to drink a liter of sugar-laden soda for $.99, or water (free or maybe $.25 for bottled)?
  • Do I choose to eat raw vegetables or a super-sized order of fries?
  • Do I choose to walk to the bathroom or have some poor sucker wipe my butt?
  • Do I choose to go out to a nice restaurant for a meal, or do I eat in this bed that doubles as my toilet?

I saw a sign taped to a checkout stand at Sam's Club yesterday that sums it up:  "If it's important to you, you will find a way.  If not, you'll find an excuse."  Sadly, this show seems full of people who are full of excuses.  My childhood was as bad or worse than what I've heard about on this show.  I CHOSE to move forward.  I wish some of these folks would.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 13

Has anyone else watched a show called "Fat Doctor?"  The episodes are on YouTube and the show is very interesting. The doctor is so different than Dr. Now. He has way better bedside manner and he is super cute.

But, the way he does the gastric bypass surgery is odd. He literally takes out the insides and makes sure everything is in its place. He then staples the stomach. When Dr. Now does it, his incision is way smaller and he uses an apparatus to do everything.  

Thanks for the link. That dr is seriously cute. I am watching an episode now where he isn't using the small incisions and I think it may be because he doesn't have the extra long tools. Pretty sure since Dr. Now works on extremely obese people that he has extra long ones. I know I've heard that is why most Drs won't do the surgery on super morbidly obese patients, because the tools are expensive and they wouldn't do enough of them to justify the cost.

• Love 1
We went to Sam's Club yesterday.  A package of shredded lettuce/carrot/red onion salad mix is $1.98  For TEN servings.  Add in some chopped hard-boiled eggs (also not expensive), and even if a large person eats double portions, that's less than $.50 per serving.

You are right - to a degree. That's definitely the case with those who claim organics are the best. Organic food is mostly a BS marketing term and inflated prices. Half the food you get is not really organic (pesticide free). A large farm cannot do that, without major risk of bacterial contamination. They all use pesticides, they just use certain ones so that legally they can call them organics.

But first you have to look at biggest bang for the buck, and also what type of grocery stores are closer to the person to shop at. For example, I have a slightly more expensive grocery store really close to me, then the "discount" No Frills much farther away. Burn gas drive longer, or go closer pay a bit more? Depends.

Also, lettuce is not really a nutritional food. It's mostly water. Lots of Vitamin A, but It will not fill you up at all, which then makes the person hungry and eat other things, thus adding to the calories. And as everyone knows, to make lettuce taste better, they slather on the dressing, which is where the calories are. A potato is supposed to be one of the best foods to eat, in terms of nutrition, but it's how people eat it, like the lettuce, that's the problem. Bake a potato, add salt and you have an nutritionall dense, filling food. Add butter, sour cream or bacon....well, not so much.

Unfortunately due to factory production, frozen prepared food is usually cheaper. If I read today's grocery store flyer, a bunch of asparagus is $4.99. Kale is $3.99. a fresh rib roast is $15.39/kg, fresh salmon fillet $17.49/kg. Whole grain bread is between $2.99 to $3.79 a loaf. Red/yellow/orange Peppers are $4.99/lb, big block of cheese is $6.99. A tray of 6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts is going for around $17 dollars. A large tray of lean stewing beef about $14 dollars. BTW, these are in Canadian prices.

Now compare that to some of the frozen prepared foods. A tray of lasagna is $6.99 (serves 4). It would cost me more to MAKE the lasagna from scratch. A 1lb box of chicken tenders is $8.99. Breaded frozen fish fillets 1 lb range from $4.99 to $7.99, depending on fish. Certain brands of frozen prepared pastas are like $1.99 each. White bread is $1.99 loaf. A box of meatballs is $8.99. An 8-pack of frozen hamburger patties is $9.99. A box of frozen chicken breasts (1 lb) is usually $9.99.

I'm not saying it's always the case. I love to cook and trying out new things, but there are many times that baking and cooking a meal costs more than the frozen equivalent. (but homemade tastes 10X better). Also, with our high cost of meat (a filling protein) and vegetables (again, filling nutrious ones), many people opt for frozen. That's why there is so much frozen food out there. It's convenient, but also cheaper. Same with fast food. For the same price, I can get a bunch of asparagus or I can get a Big Mac with a Medium fries and a drink. No wonder people go the bang for the buck route. Also, veggies and meat are highly perishable - frozen is not.

Here is another example. I would love to be able to buy into a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). There are many farms that are within a 30 minute or so drive from me. Here are the deets for one.

Throughout the season (18 weeks), members will receive weekly food boxes filled with delicious seasonal vegetables straight from the farm. Members can pick up their food boxes at 4 locations throughout the greater Hamilton area each week. 20 Large Shares - A box big enough for a family of four, or two veggie lovers; approximately 10-12 items per week.

They only do pickup. I would have to drive 30 minutes to get there. Cost? $450 bucks. That's 25 dollars a week. Think about what you could buy for 25 bucks a week.

It's sad, but it's the reality with factory farming. Small farms cost lots. Vegetables cost a lot. My apologies for rambling so much. *sigh*

ETA: I should add, I am not excusing poor food buying/eating decisions. But it's not so cut and dry. Cost plays a huge role for most people. That's why I'm not buying Tenderloin, ot boneless/skinless chicken breast, or shittake mushrooms, or organic peppers or Valencia oranges or wild caught fresh salmon every day or sustainably caught seafood. I would LIKE to, if I had the cash. But reality is much different.

• Love 5

There is nothing wrong with frozen veggies.  Actually, they may be better for you because they are frozen at the peak of freshness, plus they last a long time in your freezer thus you save on waste.

• Love 3
(edited)

There is nothing wrong with frozen veggies.  Actually, they may be better for you because they are frozen at the peak of freshness, plus they last a long time in your freezer thus you save on waste.

I think that is also true of canned veggies.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

Almost all my veggies now are frozen. Since my surgery, there is no way I can get through most of them before they spoil (I live alone). The only real exception is spinach, which keeps well. I also get fresh avocadoes but I guess they are technically fruit ;)

Even canned veggies would be tough for me because they only last so long after you open the can.

And yeah, lettuce is something that is rarely in my eating plan. Little nutritional value and won't fill me up. I use baby spinach for leafy greens for my salads.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a question. Is it better to:

- have ice cream, etc. be a treat for kids so it's not forbidden or a daily thing

-never allow kids to eat unhealthy food or

-let them learn to listen to their body and what they're hungry for?

Or, something else? Does the approach change if the child is becoming over or underweight? What if two siblings are different in weight category?

My son is 13yo & a much better eater than I am.

From an early age (toddler) we fed him lots of vegies, fruits, lean protein and now he actually prefers them. He does occasionally have fast food, ice cream, etc but he complains of feeling 'crappy' when he overdoes it & self moderates.

My opinion is introduce healthy foods early on and give the child the chance to develop a taste for them. Don't restrict the ice cream & stuff but make it an occasional thing. Moderation.

Edited by lulu69
  • Love 5
(edited)

I was once prescribed a medication for my chronic insomnia. It didn't work, so my doctor couldn't justify prescribing it any longer. But while I took it, I was never hungry. I wasn't nauseated. Food tasted perfectly fine when I ate it. I just never felt the need to eat. Mid-afternoon, I would realize I hadn't eaten a bite since getting up, so ate something just because I thought I should. I also realized I never felt full; I went to a small dinner party, where all the guests ate all of the same courses. By the end of the evening, everyone was moaning "I'm stuffed, I couldn't eat another bite." I could have eaten the entire meal over again. I lost 15 pounds in about 5 weeks without even thinking about it. I'm sure there's a scientific study there somewhere!

This was me after being diagnosed with ADD. I'm an emotional eater who swears by WW. But I do become OCD about it. You don't have to tell someone your dating about a diet. They can tell from other behaviors. For example, I drink vodka and water with lime when I go out. Who does that unless they're dieting?

Regarding stress, I can go either way. I haven't been able to pinpoint the difference between when I overeat and when I stop eating. It truly baffles me. I think the main factor is how busy and stressed I am. Death of a parent type stress = no interest in food. New job type stress = I don't miss a meal or snack.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 1
I am watching an episode now where he isn't using the small incisions and I think it may be because he doesn't have the extra long tools.

I love The Fat Doctor and am through almost all the episodes.  Shaw Somers is definitely good looking and so incredibly kind to these people.  The reason the surgery is different is that the earlier ones were done via regular surgery. In later episodes he does them laparoscopically.  My guess is that he learned the newer technique and changed to the less risky procedure.  There's a disclaimer that states something like, everything you see in the show were current medical recommendations at the time of filming.

I love The Fat Doctor and am through almost all the episodes. Shaw Somers is definitely good looking and so incredibly kind to these people. The reason the surgery is different is that the earlier ones were done via regular surgery. In later episodes he does them laparoscopically. My guess is that he learned the newer technique and changed to the less risky procedure. There's a disclaimer that states something like, everything you see in the show were current medical recommendations at the time of filming.

That definitely makes sense. I'm almost through the second season and he is using his hands. I love how kind he is to them.

• Love 1