Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Hellga said:

This season we learned the dangers of grapes and oranges.  We get fresh fruit bowls at work once a week, courtesy of my employer, and I noticed that every time grapes are gone first, then oranges, peaches when in season are gone quickly too, but pears and apples tend to stick around for a couple days, especially the pears.  Are pears poor innocent fruit that lacks addictive properties of grapes and oranges, or are they the most devious and dangerous so most people avoid them instinctively (and I am the only sucker who eats them because I can't bear seeing produce go to waste)?  

Grapes, oranges, and peaches are higher in sugar, also juicier. Pears and apples are lower in sugar, also are harder to chew. Bananas tend to be very popular in offices also, as they are soft and high in sugar. My favorite apple is the honey crisp, and favorite pear is the anjou as it is soft, sweet, and juicy. 😍

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, ProTourist said:

Grapes, oranges, and peaches are higher in sugar, also juicier. Pears and apples are lower in sugar, also are harder to chew. Bananas tend to be very popular in offices also, as they are soft and high in sugar. My favorite apple is the honey crisp, and favorite pear is the anjou as it is soft, sweet, and juicy. 😍

I think grapes and bananas would be the easiest to eat at work.  When I buy grapes and other fruit from the grocery, we always eat the grapes first or else the grapes will try to convert themselves into raisins (too bad they don't change themselves into wine).

Don't tell Dr. Now but we also eat  a lot of fresh pineapple.  My eating habit today at breakfast was steel cut oats with raisins and cinnamon, pineapple and a cup of Lemon Lift tea.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

we always eat the grapes first or else the grapes will try to convert themselves into raisins 

I have no problems with grapes for at least a week - but I keep them in the produce drawer in the fridge.

My favorite fruit are peaches (only local when in season!), pears (I like Bartlett and Bosc more than Anjou, and some less common varieties), tangerines, kumquats, watermelons, cherries and raspberries.  I will eat any and all kinds of fruit, though - I joke that I must have been a fruit bat in a past life, I can literally eat several pounds of fruit in one sitting (and not suffer any ill effects).  I like tropical fruit less than the more temperate one, though I caveat it with the fact that I have not really had an opportunity to taste many tropical fruit where they are grown, and I am sure they are very different there vs. in our supermarkets.  I used to think peaches were tasteless until I moved to New Jersey and tried fresh peaches from a farmstand for the first time...

I am looking forward to summer and going to local pick your own farms and orchards!  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Olivia, Tara, Paula and Nikki are my 600 lbers who I often put on while reading. 

Nicole (Jugaloo) and Erica are ones I rewatch the most, and sometimes June (because I like her) or Lupe (because of the toilet seat).
I'll ff through Dr. Pimple Poppers, skipping the stories, and only watching the pops.

• LOL 2
20 hours ago, auntjess said:

again have Hannah Kritzek(?), the  primoidal dwarf woman,  Little and Looking for Love, the high school graduation one, not the later one when surly and spoiled and job hunting.

That’s one of my favorites, @auntjess! (The latest update show, that is.) I love it because Hannah turned out to be a spoiled, entitled, miserable jerk and it didn’t make me feel so awful for laughing at her. What a nasty woman. 

5 hours ago, Hellga said:

My favorite fruit are peaches (only local when in season!), pears (I like Bartlett and Bosc more than Anjou, and some less common varieties), tangerines, kumquats, watermelons, cherries and raspberries.  I will eat any and all kinds of fruit, though - I joke that I must have been a fruit bat in a past life, I can literally eat several pounds of fruit in one sitting (and not suffer any ill effects). 

I love peaches, my mother used to make a deep dish peach pie with double crusts; it was so much better than the traditional cobblers that restaurants tend to serve.  I also eat them by themselves or with mixed with yogurt and Grapenuts cereal.

When I was much younger. I would come home from work, go for a run then come home and swim laps before eating half of a watermelon for dinner

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Did anyone else have this issue? When I went to the new PTV Primetimer thingy, I got access as, I guess, an anonymous visitor to the site and had to re-set my password TWICE!

I thought it was just my problem.  I just typed in my "name" and password.  I think I am in.  Let's see if I can post this.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Did anyone else have this issue? When I went to the new PTV Primetimer thingy, I got access as, I guess, an anonymous visitor to the site and had to re-set my password TWICE!

Yes, I got knocked out of my account and had to sign back in.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I thought it was just my problem.  I just typed in my "name" and password.  I think I am in.  Let's see if I can post this.

Yep, you're here, got it. Please, please, please slow down on the changes PTV, at least for a while? Thanks. 😊

Edited to add: Not that anyone cares but I liked the "old" PTV format just fine. But I'm an old gal so whatever............. 😆

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Yep, you're here, got it. Please, please, please slow down on the changes PTV, at least for a while? Thanks. 😊

Edited to add: Not that anyone cares but I liked the "old" PTV format just fine. But I'm an old gal so whatever............. 😆

Yes and if you cannot slow the changes please let us know what to expect. I am another old gal and need a little advance warning when things change.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Not me. I did have to log back in, but did not need to reset my password. I then updated my password manager for the new URL for the login page, and think I'm all set.

1 hour ago, ProTourist said:

There was an announcement about the domain change, posted on Monday and still present, via the red banner toward top of page:

https://forums.primetimer.com/announcement/64-previouslytv-is-now-primetimer/

Yes, but it says........

"Previously.TV has teamed up with TV Tattle and some other familiar faces to form Primetimer. What's this mean for the forums? Beyond the new header and a move to the primetimer.com domain later this week, nothing! Same great forums, new name. Thanks in advance for your patience while we work out any kinks along the way. Onward!"

That's all I saw unless there is something else I missed, I didn't see anything about getting kicked out the Forum and having to reset my password.

But, all is well, I'm back so let's keep rockin'! 😊

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Clarification.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Twopper said:

Yes, I had to reset my password since I couldn't find it on my password list. 

6 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Yes, but it says........

"Previously.TV has teamed up with TV Tattle and some other familiar faces to form Primetimer. What's this mean for the forums? Beyond the new header and a move to the primetimer.com domain later this week, nothing! Same great forums, new name. Thanks in advance for your patience while we work out any kinks along the way. Onward!"

That's all I saw unless there is something else I missed, I didn't see anything about getting kicked out the Forum and having to reset my password.

But, all is well, I'm back so let's keep rockin'! 😊

The domain name changed which would necessitate logging in. If you look at your address bar, the website name is different. It says forums.primetimer instead of forums.ptv. I was on the lookout for that change since it was mentioned as I assumed I would have to change my favorite.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was able to sign in without changing my password.

Hate the new name. It's so - 1980's and lame. I assume it's ironic.

Also, likely to be confused as a venue intended for "older gay or bisexual men (and younger men who admire mature men) who enrich their social lives, engage in diverse activities, and enjoy opportunities and friendships with other Prime Timers throughout the world." That's part of the mission statement of Prime Timers International, from their website, http://www.primetimersww.com/. Sounds like a nice organization and some of my older gay male friends may belong to it for all it know. But as I am, you know, old but not male of any kind, it's not really my thing.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I was able to sign in without changing my password.

Hate the new name. It's so - 1980's and lame. I assume it's ironic.

Also, likely to be confused as a venue intended for "older gay or bisexual men (and younger men who admire mature men) who enrich their social lives, engage in diverse activities, and enjoy opportunities and friendships with other Prime Timers throughout the world." That's part of the mission statement of Prime Timers International, from their website, http://www.primetimersww.com/. Sounds like a nice organization and some of my older gay male friends may belong to it for all it know. But as I am, you know, old but not male of any kind, it's not really my thing.

I'm neither male nor gay, but like Jeeves and Wooster, what does that say about me?

Edited by nokat
Had to say nor rather than or.
  • Love 1
On 4/12/2019 at 3:30 PM, Twopper said:

I love peaches, my mother used to make a deep dish peach pie with double crusts; it was so much better than the traditional cobblers that restaurants tend to serve.  I also eat them by themselves or with mixed with yogurt and Grapenuts cereal.

When I was much younger. I would come home from work, go for a run then come home and swim laps before eating half of a watermelon for dinner

We had a watermelon patch when I was a kid and I'd do the same thing! Now we have peach trees in the yard and I look forward to those this season. Fresh peaches right off the tree--the best (which leads me to my next thought)! 

"Fresh" produce isn't what it used to be. Problem with produce nowadays is that, in general, it doesn't taste good--it only looks good. Bigger, redder, prettier--all a show.  Even organic apples lack taste and texture, completely different from the ones I remember picking from our orchard as a child. 

I suspect the food is selected to survive a long journey on a semi trailer versus being selected for flavor. While this makes these foods more available, it makes them less enjoyable. From mealy tomatoes, bland grapes, boring apples and so-so peaches, it's kind of sad. This is what people think these foods are supposed to taste like. It's no wonder some folks don't like vegetables--it's not the same anymore, unless you grown your own or have a farmer's market nearby. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 4/12/2019 at 6:14 PM, Giant Misfit said:

That’s one of my favorites, @auntjess! (The latest update show, that is.) I love it because Hannah turned out to be a spoiled, entitled, miserable jerk and it didn’t make me feel so awful for laughing at her. What a nasty woman. 

I just watched it this afternoon, and am debating doing Tiny at 20 on the same day.
I can't see a happy future for her, and wish she'd not been spoiled so much, but I can't see who she'd find as a partner, with her attitude and her size.  She is very tiny.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:39 PM, Hellga said:

I have no problems with grapes for at least a week - but I keep them in the produce drawer in the fridge.

My favorite fruit are peaches (only local when in season!), pears (I like Bartlett and Bosc more than Anjou, and some less common varieties), tangerines, kumquats, watermelons, cherries and raspberries.  I will eat any and all kinds of fruit, though - I joke that I must have been a fruit bat in a past life, I can literally eat several pounds of fruit in one sitting (and not suffer any ill effects).  I like tropical fruit less than the more temperate one, though I caveat it with the fact that I have not really had an opportunity to taste many tropical fruit where they are grown, and I am sure they are very different there vs. in our supermarkets.  I used to think peaches were tasteless until I moved to New Jersey and tried fresh peaches from a farmstand for the first time...

I am looking forward to summer and going to local pick your own farms and orchards!  

I live in New Jersey and I can't wait to get fresh local peaches from our farmer's market...which doesn't open until June 21st or something...damn you short growing season! All my favorite fruits are summer fruits...various berries, peaches, plums, and apricots. The fruit I most want to try is black sapote, which is a fruit that has an interior that supposedly looks and tastes like chocolate pudding, but I don't know where to find it around here. If I ever go to south Florida though....

Anyway I came here to say that one thing I like about M600PL is that Dr. Now's eating plan inspires me to make more meals that incorporate fresh vegetables. Sometimes it's easy to fall into the processed food habit even for someone who enjoys produce because it's so ubiquitous.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

We had a watermelon patch when I was a kid and I'd do the same thing! Now we have peach trees in the yard and I look forward to those this season. Fresh peaches right off the tree--the best (which leads me to my next thought)! 

"Fresh" produce isn't what it used to be. Problem with produce nowadays is that, in general, it doesn't taste good--it only looks good. Bigger, redder, prettier--all a show.  Even organic apples lack taste and texture, completely different from the ones I remember picking from our orchard as a child. 

I suspect the food is selected to survive a long journey on a semi trailer versus being selected for flavor. While this makes these foods more available, it makes them less enjoyable. From mealy tomatoes, bland grapes, boring apples and so-so peaches, it's kind of sad. This is what people think these foods are supposed to taste like. It's no wonder some folks don't like vegetables--it's not the same anymore, unless you grown your own or have a farmer's market nearby. 

WE have several restaurants that get their produce from local growers. It is amazing how much better it tastes from what you buy at the grocery store. I always say I want to go to our local farmer's market but due to personal circumstances, I haven't had a chance. I want to make it a point to go this year. 

Growing up, we had a cornfield behind our house. Granted it was feed corn, but if you picked it at the right time, it was delicious. 

• Love 5

My Grandma had a small farm so I grew up with food as real as it gets, from milk and meat to vegetables and berries.   I know exactly what food is supposed to taste like... and I will actually sniff produce at the store before buying it.  Some is good, some is acceptable, some is plain inedible (I have bought cucumbers maybe three times in the past 20 years, only to be sorely disappointed every single time.  Farmers markets are not much better.  My Mom grows awesome cucumbers, but she lives 1300 miles away).  It is sad that great many people nowadays have lived their entire life on plastic supermarket food and have no idea of what food is supposed to taste like.  I like spices and I use them in soups and stews and such, but I also do a lot of minimalist cooking where all I do is add a teeny amount of salt to meat/fish/vegetables because they are delicious just the way they are naturally.   I can't help but remember the phrase from some book I had read years ago - all the fabulous spices of the Indies were originally used to disguise the smell and taste of food that was rapidly spoiling in the tropical climate. 

We have also lost the seasonal change in diets...  while I don't necessarily buy into "eat like our ancestors" hype, I just naturally want to eat more salads and greens when it is warm and less meat, while in the winter I gravitate towards hearty soups and stews.   And I try to buy fruit in season as much as possible.  Winter strawberries are generally not worth eating anyway.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

WE have several restaurants that get their produce from local growers. It is amazing how much better it tastes from what you buy at the grocery store. I always say I want to go to our local farmer's market but due to personal circumstances, I haven't had a chance. I want to make it a point to go this year. 

Growing up, we had a cornfield behind our house. Granted it was feed corn, but if you picked it at the right time, it was delicious. 

Locally, in season, we have Wed evening and Saturday morning markets.  The Wed has turned into an event, with non food vendors, food trucks and fresh food, while the Saturday is somewhat more traditional.  Both are very well attended.  Right around July 4th, the farm stands show up all around the area.  That is where I buy my summer veggies.

If you decide to start doing farmer's markets, do your homework, to make sure you know what is seasonal and local.  Unfortunately, fruits and veggies are often imported from outside the area in order to jumpstart or extend a season.  

I have been thinking hard about buying a half share in a CSA from a farm about 15 minutes away.  This farm uses hydroponics and in ground growing methods.  I would receive a box for two, once a week, from the end of May until early November.  My big concern is waste.  Can we eat that much fresh food?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Hellga said:

My Grandma had a small farm so I grew up with food as real as it gets, from milk and meat to vegetables and berries.   I know exactly what food is supposed to taste like... and I will actually sniff produce at the store before buying it.  Some is good, some is acceptable, some is plain inedible (I have bought cucumbers maybe three times in the past 20 years, only to be sorely disappointed every single time.  Farmers markets are not much better.  My Mom grows awesome cucumbers, but she lives 1300 miles away).  It is sad that great many people nowadays have lived their entire life on plastic supermarket food and have no idea of what food is supposed to taste like.  I like spices and I use them in soups and stews and such, but I also do a lot of minimalist cooking where all I do is add a teeny amount of salt to meat/fish/vegetables because they are delicious just the way they are naturally.   I can't help but remember the phrase from some book I had read years ago - all the fabulous spices of the Indies were originally used to disguise the smell and taste of food that was rapidly spoiling in the tropical climate. 

We have also lost the seasonal change in diets...  while I don't necessarily buy into "eat like our ancestors" hype, I just naturally want to eat more salads and greens when it is warm and less meat, while in the winter I gravitate towards hearty soups and stews.   And I try to buy fruit in season as much as possible.  Winter strawberries are generally not worth eating anyway.

I tend to cook the way you describe.  Just makes sense.

Last fall, I finally splurged and bought an Aero hydroponic herb garden.  During the worst of winter, it was thrilling to pick fresh basil and other herbs to add to our meals.  Even picking a mint leaf and smelling fresh mint during a snowstorm was a treat!

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Locally, in season, we have Wed evening and Saturday morning markets.  The Wed has turned into an event, with non food vendors, food trucks and fresh food, while the Saturday is somewhat more traditional.  Both are very well attended.  Right around July 4th, the farm stands show up all around the area.  That is where I buy my summer veggies.

If you decide to start doing farmer's markets, do your homework, to make sure you know what is seasonal and local.  Unfortunately, fruits and veggies are often imported from outside the area in order to jumpstart or extend a season.  

I have been thinking hard about buying a half share in a CSA from a farm about 15 minutes away.  This farm uses hydroponics and in ground growing methods.  I would receive a box for two, once a week, from the end of May until early November.  My big concern is waste.  Can we eat that much fresh food?  

Thanks for the advice. The one near me is on Saturdays from June to September. There is also a farmstand open from July to October. I'll do a bit of research. 

• Love 1

I am lucky that we have a number of farmers' markets; several are open year round,  although in winter they mostly sell items that were canned over the summer.  The main one I go to is open 3 days a week, with the most vendors on Saturday.  Several booths are organic farming only and are very local;  there is a bread lady and several cake ladies.  And there are always people selling eggs.  There are about 4 vendors that I buy from as I have had good experience with them over the years.  Several also sell homemade ice cream in summer--usually peach.   The family of the dental hygienist we see at our dentist's office has a family farm where we can also get produce in season.   We eat very well.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Can you maybe can some of it and sell it that way?

I should add that I was farm raised, freezing and canning what we couldn't eat fresh. Or putting it in a cellar.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, nokat said:

I should add that I was farm raised, freezing and canning what we couldn't eat fresh. Or putting it in a cellar.

That's the story of my childhood too...  everything that can possibly be preserved was preserved.  While I loved or at least tolerated most of it, it did include such joys as pickled zucchini (yuck) and canned pork (yuck).   At least there was always a "get out of eating what you are served free" card in terms of the pigs being willing to eat whatever I weren't going to finish!

• LOL 2
18 hours ago, Hellga said:

I can't help but wonder, why does produce suck nowadays? Is it the almighty dollar? How are people going to want to eat things that don't taste good? 

So, I'm ok with eating the best tomatoes ever, from my own garden,  even if only for a short time in summer. That's how it used to be and it was like that for a reason. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I can't help but wonder, why does produce suck nowadays?

Because of the distances it's shipped and to make it look pretty. A pretty tomato that can survive getting trucked doesn't taste that good. I don't bother going to farmer's markets out of season either. But, if you know what is IN season in your local area, it can be very good.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Because of the distances it's shipped and to make it look pretty. A pretty tomato that can survive getting trucked doesn't taste that good. I don't bother going to farmer's markets out of season either. But, if you know what is IN season in your local area, it can be very good.

When I spend time visiting family in the Dominican Republic, I have noticed that the fruits are so much better tasting then they are here. The mangoes, papayas and the pineapple. I remember driving home with my cousin from somewhere and we stopped at the side of the road where someone had a cart selling fruit just picked. Yes, you had to make sure some stuff wasn't over ripe, but on the whole it was all good.  

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4

Yep, today it's all about shelf life and visual appeal, not taste.  Also, disease resistance and harvest per plant/acre/whatever.  Not only does it mean that produce at the supermarket is often picked unripe and stored for months and then ripened artificially with ethylene gas, It affects the choice of the varietals grown, so even if picked fresh at the peak of ripeness it will not taste as good as other varietals.  Us home gardeners can pick varieties we enjoy eating, commercial growers have to go with whatever will give them the best return on their investment.  And it won't change unless there are more people willing to pay extra for taste.  With so many people's budgets already stretched thin, I am not holding my breath.  The fact that many don't know what's possible or cook their food in such a way that it' doesn't matter what you throw into the pot, it will end up tasting the same, doesn't help either.

Similar thing happens with bread, too... compare really good loaf from the bakery to the sliced bagged stuff with weird soft texture!   But a fresh baked loaf has to be sold that same day, and the bagged stuff lasts for weeks. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5

I remember food tasting better. I now have a garden the size of a postage stamp, but I can still have an herb garden on my windowsill.  I miss getting the best tomatoes every summer from the woman whose horse I rode. She'd give me a bag full.

• Love 3
On 4/12/2019 at 12:03 PM, auntjess said:

I'll ff through Dr. Pimple Poppers, skipping the stories, and only watching the pops.

I do that, too.  I am about to start skipping the back stories on this show because I figure I'll pick up enough of it when they go to therapy. 

I went with Mr. Twopper this morning to get his lab work done for his dr. appt this afternoon.  He couldn't eat before the lab, so we were going to breakfast afterward.  He was busy updating his info when I noticed one of those electric scooters nosing thru the door.  I expected to see a very overweight person on it, but it was a youngish (early 30's) woman who was maybe 30-40 pounds overweight.   Unfortunately, she must have chosen to wear low rider jeans to the office because she was mooning everyone with a very bad case of plumber's butt.    I cannot believe she couldn't feel the cool air on her ass.  Every woman in the room raised their eyebrows and the men started staring at the floor after taking a quick peak.

Not sure why I wanted to share this.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Stiggs said:

At one point while watching this, I did have to laugh at myself, because I, too, travel with my makeup in a freezer bag. Nothing but class, lol. 

I put anything with potential to spill/leak in a ziplock bag when I travel anywhere. I used to have a big duffel bag (the zipper finally gave out; I miss that bag) that had a big pocket at each end that were perfect for bottles that needed to stand up. Still put them in a plastic bag just in case.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I put anything with potential to spill/leak in a ziplock bag when I travel anywhere. I used to have a big duffel bag (the zipper finally gave out; I miss that bag) that had a big pocket at each end that were perfect for bottles that needed to stand up. Still put them in a plastic bag just in case.

For future reference - many seamstresses and shoe repair shops can replace zippers on cloth luggage.  I have a fold-up tote bag whose zipper gave out, and I spent $10 to have it replaced.  Worth every penny!

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

For future reference - many seamstresses and shoe repair shops can replace zippers on cloth luggage.  I have a fold-up tote bag whose zipper gave out, and I spent $10 to have it replaced.  Worth every penny!

It was nylon(? I'm guessing) and where the bag was attached to the zipper was basically shredded. That bag lasted me almost 20 years so I'd say it had a pretty good run.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't know where you started but 16 pounds in ~6 weeks is a little under 3 pounds a week. That's actually slightly more than I usually see recommended for sustainable weight loss, at least for "normally" overweight people. I'd say you did pretty well. (If that helps at all.)

That helps, actually.  Thank you.  I've never truly attempted to seriously lose weight.  But I seem to have gotten sluggish over the last few years -- late 40s into now 51.  And I'm at the point now I would love to drop 40 and I find that I was a bit lost because I surely cannot put myself into the category of these folks -- but their success is exciting.  So I guess it's kind of a sliding scale by size.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I must look this up.  I have heard of pizza pie, but pizza cake?

I googled. The first thing that came up was a video by "Hellthy Junk Food" on YouTube. This looks like something I would never eat.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Mswldflwr said:

That helps, actually.  Thank you.  I've never truly attempted to seriously lose weight.  But I seem to have gotten sluggish over the last few years -- late 40s into now 51.  And I'm at the point now I would love to drop 40 and I find that I was a bit lost because I surely cannot put myself into the category of these folks -- but their success is exciting.  So I guess it's kind of a sliding scale by size.

I'm glad it helps. It is a sliding scale. There's a reason people are always trying to lose "those last ten pounds" (well, aside from, "maybe you don't actually need to lose those ten pounds...") - the more you lose the fewer calories you need to maintain your weight at a lower level, so it gets harder to stay within the right range. When you're multi-hundreds of pounds overweight and used to eating 10,000-20,000 extra calories a day and then go to a 1,200-calorie diet, you have a lot more leeway for going over than when you're carrying an extra 10 or 20 or 50 pounds and maybe eating 1,000-2,000 extra calories a day. A 600-pounder who eats those extra 1,000 calories a day is still going to lose weight for quite a while (which I suspect is at least partly why the diet is so low; Dr. Now knows even the most motivated/cooperative patient is bound to go over sometimes, especially in the beginning when they're learning to eat differently, so if they're aiming for a lower number, they still have that margin for error). And unless you cook everything for yourself and measure carefully, it's really easy to go over in today's food landscape.

(And I know how you feel; I'm 43 and I really don't like the number I saw the last time I was at the doctor, or how my clothes fit lately. I've never really tried, either; I was one of those tiny kids (small for my age; didn't catch up to my peers until around middle school) who could eat whatever, and my not-so-great habits are definitely catching up with me. I'm not religious and we never did Lent when I was a kid, anyway, but maybe I should make my own "Lent" and see if I can give myself a jump start. I would not be disappointed if I was 16 pounds lighter after 40 days. Maybe after jellybean day. 😉 At least the fact that it's getting warmer and it's still daylight when I leave work will get me to the park more often. Park closes at dusk so even if I didn't mind the cold, I can't go in the winter, anyway. We had one really nice day last week (before it got cold again) and I took a nice long walk and reminded myself that it actually feels good to move.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mswldflwr said:

I am 50 and in the last year I lost 40lbs.  Don't let anyone tell you it cannot be done at our age!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I googled. The first thing that came up was a video by "Hellthy Junk Food" on YouTube. This looks like something I would never eat.

This looks like a re-branding of a classic Italian torta like this one below:

i.3.mLfddLzFjATnWbPPjyddQmJC7Fb0HRZmDZMEEdUDVos..thumb.jpg.c2054f01c4eefe1062808b2035635982.jpg

Assorted cheeses, meats, and vegetables baked in a pastry like crust. This one looks yummy to me.😊

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

This looks like a re-branding of a classic Italian torta like this one below:

i.3.mLfddLzFjATnWbPPjyddQmJC7Fb0HRZmDZMEEdUDVos..thumb.jpg.c2054f01c4eefe1062808b2035635982.jpg

Assorted cheeses, meats, and vegetables baked in a pastry like crust. This one looks yummy to me.😊

This dish is the star of the movie Big Night, which I highly recommend.  Stanley Tucci and Tony Shaloub are in it, too.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'd love to see Kalen react to this one.  Kalen reacts to weird recipes.  He's on Facebook, and Ellen.

I don’t make a habit of clicking obvious spam email, but my finger accidentally grazed my iPhone screen, bringing up the following image. When I saw it I was so confused. Dottie? What are you doing here in my junk mail?

Now she’s “Don’s Wife”. 😂

458F05EC-0D5E-4D12-8734-5F323E383BCA.jpeg

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, dahling said:

I don’t make a habit of clicking obvious spam email, but my finger accidentally grazed my iPhone screen, bringing up the following image. When I saw it I was so confused. Dottie? What are you doing here in my junk mail?

Now she’s “Don’s Wife”. 😂

458F05EC-0D5E-4D12-8734-5F323E383BCA.jpeg

I’ve gotten those emails and never opened them, maybe the entire female cast of M600PL has been featured...

• LOL 1