Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Thank you for setting this up SilverStormm.

I view this program as a cautionary tale, seeing these people scares me from going off the deep end with my weight. Anybody else feel that way too?

This coming year I really want to focus on losing weight and exercising, in the last few years my weight has really crept up and I can tell how much more sluggish I am feeling.

• Love 5

Count me in as using this show as motivation to put down the SmashBurgersand extra Guac at Chipotle. It's like I woke up one morning and the scale had jumped twenty pounds. So watching what happens when folks mindlessly eat for years will do me some good.

• Love 2

I saw a preview for a new show about a extremely obese woman who said that she loved her body. She said that she had posted a video of herself dancing and it got a lot of hits/positive comments.

I saw this too. What I couldn't quite tell was if the show was soley about her embracing being a fatty or if there were numbers of participants.

The show is called My Big Fat Fabulous Life. Not sure when it premieres. I do understand that no one should feel shame about their weight, but it does irritate me when the groups for overweight go on a campaign about how they are just as healthy as someone of normal weight. I am not a medical expert, but the medical literature is pretty much in agreement that people who are obese, particularly morbidly obese, suffer in greater numbers from many more health issues, like diabetes, high BP, etc. Not to mention that many have mobility problems, as  moving around a large amount of weight takes its toll on knees and joints. 

From what I saw in the previews for My Big Fat Fab Life, it sounds like the woman is trying to lose weight through diet and exercise and the show is chronicling it.. Just because she is fat, doesn't mean she doesn't have a right to be happy. But we shall see. If she goes to an exercise class, then hits the drive through, I'm out. 

• Love 4

The show is called My Big Fat Fabulous Life. Not sure when it premieres. I do understand that no one should feel shame about their weight, but it does irritate me when the groups for overweight go on a campaign about how they are just as healthy as someone of normal weight. I am not a medical expert, but the medical literature is pretty much in agreement that people who are obese, particularly morbidly obese, suffer in greater numbers from many more health issues, like diabetes, high BP, etc. Not to mention that many have mobility problems, as  moving around a large amount of weight takes its toll on knees and joints. 

From what I saw in the previews for My Big Fat Fab Life, it sounds like the woman is trying to lose weight through diet and exercise and the show is chronicling it.. Just because she is fat, doesn't mean she doesn't have a right to be happy. But we shall see. If she goes to an exercise class, then hits the drive through, I'm out. 

Well good luck to her and her attemt at losing weight.  I'm all for it as long as she doesnt turn into another Ruby.  I had about enough of her whining and aking excuses for why she couldnt work out and why she wasnt losing any weight.

• Love 3

I can start by counting how many relatives continue to bring these people McDonald's and 30 pizza pies and gallons of "diet" soda.

I'm always shocked by how almost none of the families actually COOK. There's no real food happening anywhere.

• Love 4

I think the title suggests that she's having the time of her life despite being "big & fat"

So why is she trying to change? She is extremely fat.

She was a professional level dancer and started gaining weight due to Severe PCOS. She is kind of a rare example of being relatively in shape in spite of her size. She is a full time dance instructor.

• Love 2

She was a professional level dancer and started gaining weight due to Severe PCOS. She is kind of a rare example of being relatively in shape in spite of her size. She is a full time dance instructor.

Thanks for the explanation.  The commercial just said she started gaining weight rapidly in college and no one could figure out why.  That's a shame.  If there's no cure (and I know nothing about PCOS), then good on her for accepting herself and getting out there.

• Love 2

Will there be another forum for My Big Fat Fab Life?

I hope so - I really want to watch and discuss that show, too. I am amazed at how nice her hair is if she has PCOS. The people I know with PCOS have terrible hair loss. 

I've been making a big effort to avoid fast food, eating out, packaged foods, frozen foods, etc. and this show really reinforces my motivation to stay away from eating bad food. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 3

I can't wait until this comes on. This show definitely serves as a warning that overeating and overall bad food choices can go bad very quickly. 

I am trying super hard to lose weight and hopefully this show can serve as some motivation.

• Love 1

I can start by counting how many relatives continue to bring these people McDonald's and 30 pizza pies and gallons of "diet" soda.

I'm always shocked by how almost none of the families actually COOK. There's no real food happening anywhere.

LOL I just said the same thing in the family member thread!!! I just discovered this show.

• Love 1

When is the first new episode of this show going to air?

There is another show that some of you may want to watch - its on Lifetime - I just listed it in the New Show Forum Requests  so hopefully there will be a forum soon- its called Big Women: Big Love. I watched the first episode last week and found myself intrigued by one of the women on there - the Caucasian woman from Texas. The previews looked pretty good too.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/big-women-big-love

Edited by ChristmasJones

Is it me or does anyone else notice that most of these peeps have such nasty beds? Or homes for that matter?

I notice, too! it reflects the lack of care they have for themselves. Maybe? Just a theory.
  • Love 1

There is something that is known as the "Depression Messy House Cycle." The idea is that when you are in a major depressive episode, you struggle to do basic things, and your house becomes a mess. Then you see the mess and that only makes you more depressed.

Now, take two backpacks and fill them with books. Put one on the front of yourself, and one on the back - now clean the house. 

• Love 4
There is something that is known as the "Depression Messy House Cycle."

I am half joking, but I think I have a touch of this. My goals this year are to get in better shape and keep my house cleaner. I have a young daughter and I want to be a better example to her.

• Love 2

I know from having bouts of severe depression that there's a big difference between not feeling like putting out the garbage (a 30 second walk down the driveway for me), and having the thought of having to take out the garbage be overwhelming and full of anxiety. One's a normal thought we all have at times, and the other is a sign of mental illness and a real struggle to manage. When you're in that second category, it's not at all about laziness.

• Love 7

Oh, I thought there was something more than just eating too many pizzas in college. That explains some of it, though I bet she didn't need to gain as much as she did. She reminded me of a woman who had a pituitary tumor. Gained weight and couldn't lose it, they did a brain scan thingy and found the tumor. Once it was removed, she went back to her regular weight. I've seen people gain weight in college, but not like the woman on the commercial, so yeah, I'm not surprised it's due to a deeper health issue.

• Love 1

I am half joking, but I think I have a touch of this. My goals this year are to get in better shape and keep my house cleaner. I have a young daughter and I want to be a better example to her.

I say this with love (also I dont know the depths of "keep house cleaner") :) I grew up in a semi messy (not filthy)- though very cluttered house. It fucked with my head for years...well into adulthood. Please do it for your daughter if nothing else. 

Edited by BostonBlonde
  • Love 3

I have dealt with depression my whole life (now successfully managed with meds and self care). If I am getting depressed, I tend to groom less and/or let my house get messy. That's my signal to nip the depression in the bud with a doc visit or better habits (like making sure I get good sleep, drink water, eat well, reduce stress, etc.). So, I do understand this cycle and how people can get caught up in it. I have often thought that mental health treatment services for depression should include light housekeeping.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 2

I was more mentioning the overall conditions of the home. Not necessarily cleaning...I mean run down really, old, stained, etc. 

Depression non cleaning is something else all together. 

I'm sure people are selected based on their inability to psy for GBP on this show but you never see someone going home to recuperate in their single family with the white picket fence.

And yes, Im sure some of it goes hand in hand...

Edited by BostonBlonde
  • Love 1
I grew up in a semi messy (not filthy)- though very cluttered house. It fucked with my head for years...well into adulthood. Please do it for your daughter if nothing else.

My husband grew up in a house that was extremely cluttered. His parents literally never threw ANYTHING away and loved to buy mass quantities of food, household goods etc. After 30+ I have finally broken my husband of most of the cluttering tendencies, mainly because I won't have that in my house, but i see that tendency with him still, wanting to buy 20 boxes of something because it's on sale for 50 cents less or getting upset when he sees me start cleaning out a closet with a garbage bag in hand. Those impressions that children take in when they are young last a lifetime.

• Love 1

My husband grew up in a house that was extremely cluttered. His parents literally never threw ANYTHING away and loved to buy mass quantities of food, household goods etc. After 30+ I have finally broken my husband of most of the cluttering tendencies, mainly because I won't have that in my house, but i see that tendency with him still, wanting to buy 20 boxes of something because it's on sale for 50 cents less or getting upset when he sees me start cleaning out a closet with a garbage bag in hand. Those impressions that children take in when they are young last a lifetime.

Yes, absolutely!  It can produce itself in other ways too...addiction, alcoholism. Growing up is hard enough as it is...living in chaos whether is be clutter, filth, abuse it just makes things worse. 

Our house isn't run down and I'm not a hoarder, just messy. Ironically I was raised in a spotless house, my parents were both very fussy so I didn't get it from them. That's why I said I want to set a better example to my daughter, somewhere between my perfectionist parents and my slobby self. :)

Also my whole family was thin, I was the only one who had a weight problem. I am thankful my daughter seems to have the "skinny gene" but I still don't want her to have the food issues that I do. I realize that I use food as comfort and a treat more than I should.

• Love 2
Is it me or does anyone else notice that most of these peeps have such nasty beds? Or homes for that matter?

I'd agree with the depression theories except for the fact that none of these people lived alone. Their families were perfectly happy to take on the role of enabling caretakers and quite capable of using a vacuum cleaner, washing machine, or dust rag.

Have any of these patients ever been at a normal weight?  If so, how could they stand to see their legs get so distorted?  That's one of my better body parts and I would definitely hate to lose that.

Also, can surgery be done on the legs to make them look normal when one gets to a lower weight?

I have a question. Is it better to:

- have ice cream, etc. be a treat for kids so it's not forbidden or a daily thing

-never allow kids to eat unhealthy food or

-let them learn to listen to their body and what they're hungry for?

Or, something else? Does the approach change if the child is becoming over or underweight? What if two siblings are different in weight category?

I think maybe there's a way to teach kids that food should serve them and that it has to earn the right to be eaten. Will this food help them feel energized and strong, or will it make them cranky and sleepy?

That attitude and teaching them what a sane portion of food looks like, not what a restaurant wants to give you, might help them make better choices than making some foods forbidden?

Well good luck to her and her attemt at losing weight.  I'm all for it as long as she doesnt turn into another Ruby.  I had about enough of her whining and aking excuses for why she couldnt work out and why she wasnt losing any weight.

OMG Yes. Especially in her last season, Ruby drove me bonkers. Loved her, loved her show but saw through the lies of weight loss. The camera doesn't lie, we can see that you're not losing anything. I was glad production finally figured it out and pulled the plug. She apologized to them in an attempt to get another show but they said no thank you.

• Love 2
I am addicted to these TLC weight shows, anybody else watching 'Fat And Back'? I couldn't find a forum for it.

Me too! I haven't started watching Fat and Back, but did some binge watching on YouTube of 'Fat Doctor'.  It's a UK show with a younger, more progressive version of Dr. Now.  He's so incredibly supportive and empathetic with these people, and they seem to do extremely well.  

I can't figure out why I'm so mesmerized by these shows.

• Love 3

I am addicted to these TLC weight shows, anybody else watching 'Fat And Back'? I couldn't find a forum for it.

I commented on it in the topic, Hospital series & documentaries, since I figured that was a catchall for medical shows.

I hated Kate Hopkins, and was hoping she'd come to grief.

Are you watching the My Weight is Killing Me?  Father and son doctors, also in Texas, who do weight loss surgery too.

• Love 2

I commented on it in the topic, Hospital series & documentaries, since I figured that was a catchall for medical shows.

I hated Kate Hopkins, and was hoping she'd come to grief.

Are you watching the My Weight is Killing Me?  Father and son doctors, also in Texas, who do weight loss surgery too.

That is an old show, Big Medicine, just repackaged with a new name. If you google the show you'll find one of the Dr's Facebook pages.