Type keyword(s) to search

A Chef's Life - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/a-chefs-life-episodes/

Here is a listing of the season 4 episodes. They aired back last fall. I am getting repeats on Sunday's at 1:00 pm and also earlier season's on Monday nights. If you go to the PBS site, and put in your local channel, you can find out when it is airing in your area. It was weird this season because on my guide (StarTV cable, I don't recommend it to anyone) the new episodes were on Thursdays but they weren't designated as such. I usually taped the Sunday repeat episode anyway because Top Chef/The Blacklist/Mom take up my Thursday lineups and I didn't want to chance it not recording any of those shows (because of the stupid way they go over a minute to mess with recording stuff).  

Hmm maybe I'm thinking of season 5. At some point it seemed like my local PBS station stopped airing the episodes, but they showed up on OnDemand, so I was always confused as to what was new & what was a repeat.

I don't think it's a very good look for her.  It's not the hair so much as the outfit she's wearing.   

Glad to hear she and her family are doing well though.  I'd love to see the twins.   

• Love 1

I think she looks pretty good, especially the hair.  I'd like to see more photos.

Now, her house......man....she just can't stand much of what we consider southern.  That's what I get from her home featured upthread.. I was born and raised in NC and her house is as close to what is NOT southern as you can get.  And she calls it a farmhouse.....lol..Okay.  To me, it's more of a NYC loft feel.   Still, I hope she enjoys it. 

(edited)
On 4/24/2017 at 7:22 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I think she looks pretty good, especially the hair.  I'd like to see more photos.

Now, her house......man....she just can't stand much of what we consider southern.  That's what I get from her home featured upthread.. I was born and raised in NC and her house is as close to what is NOT southern as you can get.  And she calls it a farmhouse.....lol..Okay.  To me, it's more of a NYC loft feel.   Still, I hope she enjoys it. 

I agree. And because it's such a different style than anything you'll generally see in NC, it's kind of an eyesore. Maybe if it wasn't so close to her parents' home that has a more typical Southern style, it would be okay.

I think maybe it's because she had previously tried to distance herself from NC and being Southern. She says it herself in the show's intro that she left NC and swore to never return. As of now, her Southern roots and cooking have made her good money and a decent amount of fame, so she's okay with it up to that point, but she's still trying to hold herself away from fully reintegrating herself.  

Edited by Automne
  • Love 1

The new season officially starts the first week of October.

Eater.com:

The last season of A Chef’s Life showed North Carolina chef Vivian Howard writing her book, Deep Run Roots, and now audiences will get to see her touring the country in support of that release. The recipes this season will be partially inspired by the destinations on her book tour through the southeast. Howard recently told Eater that this might, however, be the last season to follow that one ingredient/recipe per episode format. “I’ve done every ingredient that makes sense in this particular framework,” Vivian says, “and I know how to stew collard greens and make pickles and preserve, so I think it’s time to do something else.”

Edited to add: I found a description of the first episode, Two-Mato:

As Chef & the Farmer turns 10, Vivian searches for ripe tomatoes to serve at the restaurant's birthday party. She seeks the wisdom of Ms. Mary and Ms. Lillie to prepare an old-school tomato dish that 'kills hungry.'

Edited by halopub
added episode description

I love that Vivian will frequently go to Ms. Mary and Ms. Lillie for Southern cooking wisdom. It's a tacit acknowledgement of the true roots of Southern cuisine.

Speaking of, I need to get on reading The Cooking Gene by Michael W. Twitty. 

• Love 2

Caught the first episode of season 5. On a completely shallow note I really like Vivian's hair in the TH.

I know she said she was embarrassed by it but I would eat the hell out of that pesto cheesecake with tomato "frosting".

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

This season does not seem as interesting to me. Has this show run its course?

I don't think Vivian is as interested in it, she's moved on from the restaurant, & the show was originally built around that.

• Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 10:52 AM, GaT said:

I don't think Vivian is as interested in it, she's moved on from the restaurant, & the show was originally built around that.

I don' think she has really checked out of the restaurant it' just the last few seasons has focused on the cookbook and promoting it which takes a tremendous amount of time. 

The twins have gotten so big!

I enjoyed the show I saw today where she was in Kentucky learning about Bourbon. I was fortunate to be in a training program late in my career that took me to distilleries and was so interesting. We went to Seagram's, Jack Daniels, and our last visit was Maker's Mark. I was so impressed with their operation, a small facility turning out a quality product. At the end of the tour, we got to dip our own bottle and initial the label. Contents are gone but the bottle remains as a fond memory.

• Love 2

Is anyone watching? I guess tonight's cornbread episode was the last one for this season or maybe forever? It almost seemed like it was the end for the whole show. I enjoyed this episode. I like seeing her cook with her mom. I love Vivian's haircut.

Just now, biakbiak said:

Not forever, they are currently filming their next season which includes the opening of a new restaurant.

Oh wow! Thanks for that info. What type of restaurant? In Kinston, I presume.

Ok, was just reading. Benny's Pizzeria in Wilmington. Opens 12/12. 

• Love 1
On 12/7/2017 at 7:17 PM, biakbiak said:

Not forever, they are currently filming their next season which includes the opening of a new restaurant.

She's been acting like she wants to get out of the restaurant, why would they open another one?

On 12/11/2017 at 0:44 AM, GaT said:

She's been acting like she wants to get out of the restaurant, why would they open another one?

I never thought that she acted like she wanted out if the restaurant , just that the last two seasons have been consumed by her book.

• Love 1

Just saw the last episode of S5, where she answers the question where to go from here, with I don't know. I know it's not a 'cooking show' per se, but I thought of Jacques Pepin's shows in contrast. His whole thing is getting people to be relaxed and to have fun in the kitchen - happy cooking! I kinda hope Vivian can pick up on this vibe in some way, stress seems to be the prevailing force in the last couple of seasons.

I liked the bourbon episode in KY. Maybe they could do some episodes just on the food truck, it seemed like it was created just as part of the book tour and was treated mostly as a hassle.

I looked through her cookbook at the bookstore - it is gorgeous, looks really well done.

• Love 1

Did anyone see Vivian on CBS Sunday Morning today?  She did a piece on pot liquor.  (In the south, that's what we call the broth from cooking collard greens with ham bone.) She thinks it will replace the bone marrow craze.   I must say that she has NEVER looked lovelier.  OMG.  She has done something.  She's gorgeous. Hair, make up, complexion, just perfect. 

I was surprised to read below that she has a new Pizza place in Wilmington, NC.  I would look forward to checking it out  the next time that I'm in Wilmington, but, I'm not a pizza fan.  Odd choice, imo.  Pizza at the beach.....oh well.  Maybe there are already too many good sea food/fish places. 

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2018/01/05/chef-vivian-howard-to-be-on-cbs-sunday-morning/

On 1/7/2018 at 11:43 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Pizza place in Wilmington, NC.  I would look forward to checking it out  the next time that I'm in Wilmington, but, I'm not a pizza fan.  Odd choice, imo.  Pizza at the beach.....oh well.  Maybe there are already too many good sea food/fish places. 

Willmington is pretty big so I imagine it cant support it. It's more than just a pizzeria its sort of a take on the old school Italian-American joint. I wonder if it was Ben's ideagiven the name.

I just watched this for the second time in maybe three years. I was reminded as to why I hadn't added the show to my "watch list".  To me she is smug, condescending, egotistical, and selfish.  Apologies to those who appreciate her.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
On 3/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, Brookside said:

I just watched this for the second time in maybe three years. I was reminded as to why I hadn't added the show to my "watch list".  To me she is smug, condescending, egotistical, and selfish.  Apologies to those who appreciate her.

My husband quit watching it with me after that episode where she made such a big deal about servers quitting and how "they just don't know what a great opportunity this is" comment....not every server/waitress gives two poops who you are lady, its called a job. 

• Love 5
On 6/22/2018 at 8:17 AM, chessiegal said:

I see Vivian's Duke's ad quite often. People are discussing it in the Commercials I Hate thread lol.

I had never seen it, I had to look it up.  I'm not sure why people would hate on that commercial, it just seems like a pretty generic commercial for mayonnaise.  It doesn't really stand out enough to cause much hate, you would think.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, chessiegal said:

Seems to be from people who have never heard of Vivian Howard and are mocking a "chef" hawking a brand of mayonnaise.

I guess I could see that.  Although I prefer Miracle Whip  🙂

Every time I watch this show the theme song makes me wonder.  It asks why can't you see yourself as beautiful as I see you?  I don't get the significance of the question.  Who is seeing who as beautiful, and who isn't seeing themselves as beautiful?  And what does this have to do with A Chef's Life?

I know the song is called Will You Return? by the Avett Brothers.  Is that the only connection, because Vivian returned to North Carolina?

PBS is airing a new Vivian Howard show next year called "South By Somewhere".  I'll be glad to see her back on TV, but it makes me wonder why they cancelled A Chef's Life, if they're just going to turn around and give her a new show.  Maybe she needed a break, celebrity seems to stress her out.

14 minutes ago, rmontro said:

PBS is airing a new Vivian Howard show next year called "South By Somewhere".  I'll be glad to see her back on TV, but it makes me wonder why they cancelled A Chef's Life, if they're just going to turn around and give her a new show.  Maybe she needed a break, celebrity seems to stress her out.

I read somewhere that she said she felt she had done everything she could do with "A Chef's Life" as in exploring the Southern foods she knows, and was ready to end that series and move on to something else.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I read somewhere that she said she felt she had done everything she could do with "A Chef's Life" as in exploring the Southern foods she knows, and was ready to end that series and move on to something else.

Going from exploring the Southern foods she knows to a show called "South By Somewhere" doesn't really sound like "something else" to me.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

Going from exploring the Southern foods she knows to a show called "South By Somewhere" doesn't really sound like "something else" to me.

I'm willing to wait and see what her new show is about. On the other hand, I've found her "poor me" theme to be tiring.

I have a friend in the food biz from NC. She worked for many years for a turkey federation        (busy at Thanksgiving). She told me NC is a major producer of turkeys, so as a fellow North Carolinian she contacted Vivian about turkeys and got crickets in return. If I bring up Vivian in her presence, she changes the subject. She expected at the very least the courtesy of a reply. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, GaT said:

That's what I was thinking, I nearly posted that myself.   From what I read, it sounds like she might be visiting various people in the south and getting their take on southern cooking, watching them cook, etc.  A little different focus than her old show, but still very similar.  She did a lot of that on A Chef's Life, but then would put her own spin on it.

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm willing to wait and see what her new show is about. On the other hand, I've found her "poor me" theme to be tiring.

I never really got a "poor me" vibe from her.  She would complain about being tired or being stared at sometimes, but I didn't think it was excessive.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2019 at 9:07 PM, GaT said:

It’s her traveling around the South and visiting different chefs, farms and home cooks. They are close to wrapping but she has been showing stuff on her IG stories.

15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s her traveling around the South and visiting different chefs, farms and home cooks. They are close to wrapping but she has been showing stuff on her IG stories.

Just a few random episode descriptions from "A Chef's Life" season 1

Episode 8: A Road Trip for Rice

Vivian travels to meet with Glenn Roberts to learn about Carolina Heirloom Rice

Episode 9: A Peanut Pastime

Vivian visits neighbor Marty Harper’s peanut farm just before and during harvest

Episode 13: Have Yourself Some Moonshine

Vivian visits Broad Slab Distillery, and talks about the art and soul of white lightning. 

Still not seeing the difference.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GaT said:

Just a few random episode descriptions from "A Chef's Life" season 1

I agree with you.  But on the old show she would do her own spin on the ingredient after her visit, plus there would be a few things about their restaurants and family.  I don't know if we'll see that on the new show, but it wouldn't surprise me if we do.

Anyway, I liked A Chef's LIfe, so if the new show is just like the old one, it doesn't upset me.  I just don't know why they couldn't do another season of that, instead of starting a new one.   

By the way, I saw a PBS documentary on artist Mark Rothko, and I thought his "squares" paintings that he is known for were very similar to Ben's paintings that he displayed in his art show.  Well, vice versa actually.

11 hours ago, GaT said:

I believe the travel aspect, the south is diverse and has different traditions/cuisine. Two of the three episodes you posted took place within an hour of her house. Visiting the guy behind Ansin Mills was in South Carolina but was about Carolina Rice which is also used in NC.

Her family and restaurants were also heavily featured on the show which doesn’t appear to be the case with new one.

Edited by biakbiak
On 10/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, biakbiak said:

You mean, traveling around the South and visiting different chefs, farms and home cooks just like she did on every episode of her old show.

4 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

You mean, traveling around the South and visiting different chefs, farms and home cooks just like she did on every episode of her old show.

She didn’t travel much at all on her old show she stayed in and around Kingston with a few exceptions like the one noted above going to South Carolina to do a piece on Carolina Rice and going to a James Beard party where she was highlighting her ultra local cuisine and one or two others but for the most part it was hyper focused on Eastern North Carolina.

Edited by biakbiak
On 10/30/2019 at 8:22 PM, biakbiak said:

She didn’t travel much at all on her old show she stayed in and around Kingston with a few exceptions

I don't know, seems like she was traveling quite a bit for awhile there, doing the food truck, doing festivals, doing food events, doing book signings, meetings for the book, etc.  At one point I think she decided she was going to stay home more.

• Love 1