Type keyword(s) to search

Jennifer Jareau: Pennsylvania Petite

• Start Topic

So here's a hell of a thing.

I'm watching Law & Order: SVU right now, and A.J. Cook is playing the lesbian partner of a woman who was attacked and raped in her apartment. Jeremy Irons is playing the victim's father, a therapist and former sex addict (don't ask). I'm having this bizarre, and yet hilarious, disconnect, because A.J.'s character seems far more concerned about her comatose girlfriend than JJ did when Will had that bomb strapped to his chest. Thoughts? :-P

Being a JJ/Spence shipper I have my own theory about this one, but I'll try to leave that out of my reply and just speak to Will and JJ's dynamic. 

To me, it was very telling all along that she kept refusing his proposals, over years. She obviously cared about him, but was not 'in love' with him. At least not the kind of love that belongs in a standard marriage. When Henry came along she made a decision to be with him, and one could argue that that decision was made out of convenience and necessity, again sans passion. Whether it was that the actors have no chemistry, or just that was how she chose to play it (I happen to believe it was both), JJ always seemed to relate to Will like a pal, a buddy, much more than a beloved husband; like someone she'd be more comfortable chucking on the shoulder rather than kissing. Her varying and seemingly constant degrees of irritation with him were evident in her answers anytime anyone inquired about him.

When he got shot, kidnapped, and almost blown to smithereens, I believe she had a knee-jerk reaction to the possibility of his death and reacted like anyone would at the near-loss of a friend. She finally accepted his proposal, saying "Let's just get it over with" (hardly a declaration of true love, and lacking any enthusiasm whatsoever), because she realized that if she didn't have him around, that she'd probably be alone for a very long time, and I don't think that appealed to her in the least. It felt to me that she set aside her reservations and natural resistance to their legal coupling in order to 'give him something' after his ordeal. 

I do wish they had stayed on the track of getting her and Spencer together, but when AJ got pregnant and they chose to write it into JJ's story, that derailed that. Will was the only viable candidate at that point, so that's what we, and she, got. I like the actor okay, and think that Will is a good man. But my lil shipper heart aches sometimes for what might have been. 

• Love 1

Josh Stewart seems like a genuinely good guy, and I wish him only the best---off the CM screen.  The only episode in which I bought his relationship with JJ was 'Jones'.  He played the grieving son well, and I thought JJ felt bad for him at the same time that she was flattered at his open flirtation.  After that------nothing.  Neither he nor AJ seemed to be able to bring life to the relationship, and neither seemed to put in much effort in that regard.  The dreadful 'Hit' and 'Run' did nothing to change my opinion on that.  Like you, Willowy, I thought JJ made an impulsive decision in the aftermath of a serious threat.  Rossi overheard it, took initiative to move it forward and----voila!--a wedding.  She didn't even have a chance to think it through, from a position of calm, before it was happening.  I'd like to think she would have changed her mind if events hadn't started to move ahead beyond her control.

While I do like JJ and Reid together in a romantic relationship----in fanfiction----, I'm glad the show didn't go that way with them, because I think they would have ended up written into a corner.  (Not that Reid doesn't seem to be in the corner anyway).  The character of Reid is, in my opinion, one of the best conceived on television, and I would have hated for him to be relegated to the role of 'one of the married agents'.  There might have been related storyline for them as a couple, but I doubt it would have incorporated much of what makes Reid 'Reid'.

I do wish they'd focused more on their friendship.  They've implied it, maybe even stated it----but I'd so much rather be shown it.  I wouldn't mind if there was an occasional hint at some degree of romantic interest----it would be understandable, and cute.  But deep friendship is, in many ways, more vital to quality of life, and offers more dramatic range than romance.  I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll see some of it this year.

• Love 2

JMO, I do think that they have hinted at it (two recent instances were the end of Magnum Opus, and in Gatekeeper when he delivered the baby), and maybe tease us a bit with it from time to time. I like their friendship aspect too, and that makes for an even richer bond, imo. 

I also don't think him being committed to JJ would mess up his story, because right now it's just a void as far as any romance goes. If they were to go there, I think it would be compelling and very sweet... yet they'd still have cases to work every single day so it couldn't become the focus. What I wouldn't give to see her grab his hand as the elevator doors closed, hers being the only one he liked touching.

• Love 1

I make room for all opinions in re the characters and story lines. I don't like the JJ/Reid ship because the way she has always been written is older, more mature, not admiring of his attributes, and, in later iterations, dismissive, derisive, and at a few times, nearly hostile. Or, not nearly. Hostile. When the episode of Reid's birthday came up, they made him wear that stupid, juvenile hat, Morgan made the remark about "mommy" cutting him a piece of cake (which he chafed at), and later, when it was obvious that he had a crush on her, Gideon gave him the tickets so as to prod him to ask her on a date. The "boy" obviously didn't regard her as a mommy figure, but there was never, ever, any indication that she saw him as anything more "sexual" than a little brother. As in not at all.

Yes, they had a connection going forward, that was crushy on his part, and obviously not on hers. Then the Hinkel thing happened, and, yes, JJ had trauma of her own to deal with, but she was apparently not invested in what happened to Reid, and not involved in any implied conspiracy to help him in the aftermath. Prentiss noticed and agonized. Gideon paid lip service to helping out, but was totally impotent, IMO.

Later, in Elephant's Memory, it was definitely implied that Hotch was aware of Reid's situation, the "movies", and I always took it that he had subtly guided Reid to the BCC, under the table. But there was never any advance in the Reid/JJ relationship on her beyond that point. Emily noticed and pestered him. Morgan bonded with him over the Owen situation. But not JJ. She always seemed to me to not care about him, until, from some sort of guilt thing that magically popped up, she made him Henry's godfather. Not a romantic breath between the two, at least from her lungs...

And then, in later seasons, she started with the rolling of the eyes, and the positively snarling comments, "Sorry I asked…" From then throughout the Emily aftermath, and, um, no. 

Never saw them together and still don't.

• Love 4

Oh, how I wish you weren't right about JJ's treatment of Reid, Normasm.  But you are.  In some of the older episodes there is a hint of friendship and indulgence (not just tolerance), but it evaporated as JJ's personality inexplicably hardened. 

I just like to fantasize that whatever it was that led her to make him Henry's godfather might rise to the surface again one day. Willowy's right, it was strongly hinted at in Magnum Opus and Gatekeeper, and I would love to see it developed.   For me, it would give some much needed depth to the interactions among the team.  And it would give JJ some much needed character development.

• Love 5

Agreed on some of your points, normasm, but as far as the Hankel incident goes, she was consumed with guilt for letting him separate from her at the farm, caring not one whit for her own injuries and nearly losing it in the dirty bathroom as she leaned on the sink and bent her head to get a grip on her emotions. If she was flippant to anyone in that ep, it was Morgan when she flung that look at him after giving Spencer this hug:

3F9Zgck.gif

And it was still on her mind much later as the team was preparing to head out for another case and she made a point to stop him in the hall and say "No matter what, we stick together, is that clear?" 

She has shown more chemistry with and more gentle caring for him over the years than she has shown for her own husband. If they ever did get them together, in an epilogue or however, I've no doubt that their roles would continue as is - she the stronger, tougher one of the two, he the thinker and planner. What she lacks in brainpower he has in spades, what he lacks in physical and tactical skills, she has. 

The thing is, IMO Original Recipe!JJ might have had some affection for Reid in a romantic sense, but the current iteration doesn't and wouldn't. As JustMyOpinion says, as her personality became more bullet-proof in direct correlation to her becoming Super!JJ, any softness she might have had before that has gradually disappeared. Whether that's acting or writing might be open to interpretation, but I don't think the end result is.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

JMO, JJ stated this dismissive behavior well before the great writer meltdown, IMO. She always seemed to have affection for him, but very much on the little brother tip. There was never anything I saw that I would interpret as sexual attraction from her to him, or even from Emily. It just seems like Emily eventually treated him like a grownup. Elle did, too, although I never saw any sexual feeling for him coming from her. And Garcia flat out told him he wasn't sexually attractive to her ("you're welcome?")!

But as for JJ, just as she didn't really exhibit much sexual feeling for Will, she never seemed to have any "jones" for anyone till Cruz came along.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 5

Ha, well she appreciated Sean Hotchner. His backside, anyway. :)

I never got that she saw Spencer in a 'little brother' way. She was dismissive of him at times, but she was and is also very affectionate with him, and I've posted many pics to that effect the last time someone asked for proof of her touchy-feelies with her Spence. I'd be pleased to post them again if you'd like - it's always awesome for me to revisit their hugs. ;)

Also check this out, something I noticed when that Japanese group visited the set earlier this week. No pics of Will anywhere, just her little man Henry. :D

xIQDXGe.png

I admit to being torn about Elle, because she was the first one who never rolled her eyes at Reid or took opportunities to make fun of him, like when he failed his firearms qualification. (Yes, I still resent Morgan for handing him that damned whistle.) I try to imagine Elle telling Spencer she's sorry she asked about something, and it just doesn't compute. I'll further admit that my present ambivalence towards JJ makes it difficult for me to picture her being warm towards many people, much less Reid. The more Erica tries to convince me that she's awesome, the less I see it. JMO>

• Love 4

I thought it was Seaver who said she was sorry for asking, not JJ. LOL. But maybe I missed something in an episode. I think that there really hasn't been anyone that JJ quite clicked with on screen that would indicate that there was an attraction on her end.

There were bits of her caring for Reid, but it wasn't often. I think she just comes off as a bit standoffish at times. Like, she can't let her guard down or she'll get hurt.

Interesting about her not having pictures of Will on her desk. But I think Joe had pictures of his real family on Rossi's desk... 

Interesting about her not having pictures of Will on her desk. But I think Joe had pictures of his real family on Rossi's desk...

I think that may be real life impacting though, rather than a personal JJ character choice. By not having any picture of Will there (not sure of the actor's name) the show wouldn't have to pay him for using it if it winds up visibly on screen, which I think is a standard contract term. Whereas with Rossi - well, it's his own family and I'm sure he is very well compensated. Similarly, as JJ's son is AJ Cook's son, no issue there. I'd imagine Hotch's desk doesn't have any Hayley pictures and neither would Reid's have pictures of Jane Lynch.

Edited by SparedTurkey
  • Love 2

Agreed on some of your points, normasm, but as far as the Hankel incident goes, she was consumed with guilt for letting him separate from her at the farm, caring not one whit for her own injuries and nearly losing it in the dirty bathroom as she leaned on the sink and bent her head to get a grip on her emotions. If she was flippant to anyone in that ep, it was Morgan when she flung that look at him after giving Spencer this hug:

3F9Zgck.gif

And it was still on her mind much later as the team was preparing to head out for another case and she made a point to stop him in the hall and say "No matter what, we stick together, is that clear?" 

She has shown more chemistry with and more gentle caring for him over the years than she has shown for her own husband. If they ever did get them together, in an epilogue or however, I've no doubt that their roles would continue as is - she the stronger, tougher one of the two, he the thinker and planner. What she lacks in brainpower he has in spades, what he lacks in physical and tactical skills, she has. 

Willowy, there is no sexual or romantic chemistry in any of your examples of JJ/Reid interplay, IMO. Clasping him to her after he rescued himself wasn't her going, "my potential lover is alive!" it was "my little brother who pisses me off frequently, but whom i dearly love is alive!" There was more passion of an almost romantic nature between him and Emily after Minimal Loss: the hug, OK could have just been concern, but the plane conversation, and the thumb-rubbing made me go, hmmmmmmm?

I agree there ain't much between JJ and Will, but there was some steaminess in that one episode (I can't remember the name) after JJ comes home and Henry is asleep, and Will says, "do not wake up that boy" and they're all snoggy and gross… 

Just no romance/sex between JJ and Reid that I can see. She may have shown more concern for him over the years, but how many episodes has Will been in? Reid has been in every one, so, yeah, they interact under our noses way more than she does with Will. 

• Love 3

I thought it was Seaver who said she was sorry for asking, not JJ. LOL. But maybe I missed something in an episode. I think that there really hasn't been anyone that JJ quite clicked with on screen that would indicate that there was an attraction on her end.

There were bits of her caring for Reid, but it wasn't often. I think she just comes off as a bit standoffish at times. Like, she can't let her guard down or she'll get hurt.

Zannej, Seaver did apologize for asking about Bill and Ted's Excellent "Ripoff", but i'm talking about one particular time when they were on the plane and Reid responds to a rhetorical question with the beginning of a spiel ("Actually…"), and Hotch touches his arm to hush him; at the same time you hear JJ's voice practically bellowing, "SorryIasked!" The way the sound was mixed, she was so loud and snarling, and he immediately shuts up, ducks his head and swallows, looking miserable. 

• Love 1

normasm I'm not saying she was swooning with undying passion in that embrace, just that to me and others it was much more than just a friendly clinch. That was just one example, I'll pm you some others when I get to my computer - not to try to change your mind, just to illustrate my frame of reference. :)

Are you perhaps thinking along the line as to how in the hell did JJ, in the short time she was away from the BAU,manage to take profiling classes, have Reid come over to her house 10 straight weeks(2 and 1/2 month) in a row crying about Emily,and yet somehow she finds the time to go on a super secret mission. And of course while all this was going on I've got no doubt she continued to be an awesome wife and mother. DANG!Maybe JJ is a super woman after all.

Taking all of this into consideration, I have now named her Steroid!JJ.

I amuse so easily.

• Love 1

One of the things I miss most about the original JJ, was despite the fact she could be tough as nails,she could also be vulnerable at times.I found it quite endearing.Sadly though AJ Cook probably saw it as a weakness that needed to be eradicated. It simply wasn't going to be a part of this new super JJ.

I actually blame CBS more than anyone for the fact that I can no longer stand JJ. If it weren't for the blatant stupidity on their part in messing with the cast, the actress might not have felt the need to make such drastic changes in her character once she was invited back.

I also lay a good deal of the blame at the feet of Erica Messer. I think she took full advantage of  AJ's insecurities.Simply because Erica wanted to remold JJ into the character she had planned on making Seaver into,had CBS opted to keep RN on the show.It's why I sometimes refer to JJ as Seaver 2.0

I find myself with 2 trains of thoughts:(1) wishing CBS had never messed with the cast.(2) CBS having done it,would've had the courage to stick to their guns and let the chips fall where they may. 

• Love 5

I like JJ, except in season 7. I wish if her character had to go through changes, that it would have been handled more organically, more truthfully. But this is how they chose to develop her. It isn't really any fault of JJ's, imo. She's a wife, mom, and agent who does the best she can. 

Despite my snark, I don''t hate JJ. Resent? Sometimes, but not hate. And it is Messer's fault that the character has been developed this way, but unfortunately Steroid!JJ is still the end result. Just like Prickish!Souled!Spike was the end result of Whedon deciding that James Marsters needed contract armor. JJ isn't as bad as Spike, for obvious reasons, but EM's insistence on giving her more and more to do over the last couple of seasons is the reason I, at least, have come to feel resentment towards her.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 3

His relative ability to keep a secret isn't the relevant point, nor is his crying on JJ's couch.  They were under direct orders, per protocol, to not tell anyone.  Full stop.  Period.  Whether those orders or that protocol is unnecessary is a separate issue. And I'm going to stop writing right now or else I'm going to quote A Few Good Men about following orders or people die and that is a low to which I will not sink.

So the mission comes first? Who is she, Buffy Summers? Given the way Buffy turned out, I'm pretty sure that's not a connection the writers are wanting me to make re JJ, who they clearly IMO think is so awesome and wonderful. What's ironic is, she acts all hurt that Reid's upset, like he's doing something to her, so apparently emotions do matter. And I would have minded it less that she was hurt if she had just let Spencer have whatever reaction he wanted to have instead of trying to prod him into talking to her. I don't really like Proof as an episode because the case is gross, but I like it even less because I end up thinking, "Damn, JJ, leave the man alone and let him work!" I would actually rather not hate her, if only because it's clear she isn't going anywhere, but she makes it difficult for me sometimes.

• Love 3

This discussion began in the thread about Reid, has now moved the the thread about JJ, and I'm about to bring up Emily and Hotch, so I have no idea where this should actually be!

Regarding the secrecy----it was really all out-of-character writing for each of the characters. If I put on my fanfiction writer's hat, I can come up with a backstory where Emily was still in the CIA, and still working on something top secret, in which case orders may have come from above that she should 'die' and as few people as possible know.

Absent that, this wasn't exactly a matter of state security, so there would have been no orders from above. Hotch himself took the blame in 'Proof', indicating that the orders started and ended with him. So, technically, JJ might have been said to be following orders--but only from Hotch. Said orders, and the resulting trauma to his team, would have been out-of-character for Hotch. He trusts his team, and he would not have put them through it.

The reason there is so much controversy about the various characters' behaviors related to the whole story line is because they don't hold together. They don't make any sense in the context of who we've known these characters to be, what we've known them to value, and how we've known them to act. Which turns me looking back directly at the writers.

At this point, I think I'd prefer to live with the inconsistencies because I fear that, if they tried to write a backstory to reconcile things, we'd be presented with another '200'.

Just my opinion!

• Love 3

So, technically, JJ might have been said to be following orders--but only from Hotch. Said orders, and the resulting trauma to his team, would have been out-of-character for Hotch. He trusts his team, and he would not have put them through it.

The reason there is so much controversy about the various characters' behaviors related to the whole story line is because they don't hold together. They don't make any sense in the context of who we've known these characters to be, what we've known them to value, and how we've known them to act. Which turns me looking back directly at the writers.

At this point, I think I'd prefer to live with the inconsistencies because I fear that, if they tried to write a backstory to reconcile things, we'd be presented with another '200'.

Just my opinion!

My italics, I so agree with this, JMO. It is quite inconsistent that, if this indeed Hotch's orders, JJ keeps taking responsibility for it, and jamming it in Reid's face. "You're just upset that Hotch and I controlled our microexpressions and you couldn't detect our deception."

• Love 5

I do so love his response "You think this is about my profiling skills? Jennifer listen, the only way you were able my manage my perceptions is because I trusted you..."

From that point on is where she starts tearing up. She knows he's right. 

Still, I know in JJ's heart she felt that at the time she was doing the right thing. Protecting him, protecting them. There's no way she kept it from him out of spite or malice of any sort. 

• Love 1

I do so love his response "You think this is about my profiling skills? Jennifer listen, the only way you were able my manage my perceptions is because I trusted you..."

From that point on is where she starts tearing up. She knows he's right. 

Still, I know in JJ's heart she felt that at the time she was doing the right thing. Protecting him, protecting them. There's no way she kept it from him out of spite or malice of any sort. 

I agree. And it is something Reid probably would have realized on his own eventually, had JJ just given Reid the time and space he needed to work it out on his own.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 2

JJ was hurt for all of 10 seconds, then she started resenting that he had the effrontery to be upset with her. She's all "How dare you be upset that I watched you writhe in agony for 10 weeks and then was relieved you stopped coming around for the rest of the time until now when Emily shows up and youweresostupid!"

Because there was a period of time after the 10 weeks before Emily came back. Just sayin'.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 3

Well, Willowy, we will never agree on the JJ/Reid relationship, but that's OK. We have different takes on the subtext, and I stick to mine as you do to yours. I reserve the right to write it the way I see it, just as I respect your writing it the way you do.

• Love 1

Perhaps it didn't happen exactly the way normasm says, but you said it yourself, JJ tried to make it about Reid being upset that his profiling skills had failed, and that isn't what he was upset about. He was upset because he trusted her, and she lied to his face. For weeks. I don't think it matters that she wasn't being malicious, and I'm not (entirely) unsympathetic, but if the writing had taken a different turn and he had gone back to Dilaudid  as a coping mechanism, it wouldn't be because he doubted his profiling abilities.

• Love 3

And I reserve the right to comment on your views, as you always do mine. I'm aware we disagree, it's just that I'm right and you aren't. Ohmygod I'm totally kidding! :P

CobaltStargazer, I don't know that JJ was trying to make it about that, just that she was trying to suss out his reasons. Again, I do think in her mind it was her duty, and she was protecting them. She may have even thought they might have thanked her, when going 'by the book'. Not factoring in his sensitivity and his abandonment issues was her error, but I think she needed to hear it from him to realize that. 

Hahaha, Willowy, no I'm right and you aren't!!!!!! [me kidding 2]

I do welcome your comments, and I know you know I usually can't be persuaded, but i will definitely own it when I am persuaded, no problem.

And Cobalt, when I express myself so strongly, i know it's not necessarily the TRUTH, but it's my take, and I feel strongly about it. When others agree with me, I feel good, but yep, it's just my opinion, when it comes to brass tacks. 

I do hope, since i haven't talked about JJ for the last entry or 2, this won't disappear to some magical "proper" thread… I can't find half the stuff I've posted.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 1

Thanks, Willowy, but I like to also track all the conversation that's gone on, not just my voice, but everyone who has contributed. When parts of conversations are high jacked, not only can I not totally keep track of the exchange, but anyone just coming into a thread will lose track, or at least have to be jumping from thread to thread to follow the conversation.

• Love 1

normasm, if you go to 'my content' and toggle 'only posts' to the left, all of your contributions will come up in chronological order, from most recent. :)

Thanks for sharing that information, @Willowy!

I do hope, since i haven't talked about JJ for the last entry or 2, this won't disappear to some magical "proper" thread… I can't find half the stuff I've posted.

You should be able to find everything using Willowy's directions; I haven't moved anything within the CM forums in several weeks, although I believe we did have a mod post asking everyone to get back on topic; the other mod in here, @Dougal may have moved something, but I'm not aware if he did. We generally only move posts 1) after there has been a report by another poster, or 2) if the conversation goes wildly off topic, and then we let you know it's happening.

Thanks for posting, everyone!

• Love 1

The fact is JJ has kept things from the team twice now and we're talking about major things.I'm not saying the team shouldn't trust her at all, but I just don't see how Reid or any of them could ever completely trust her again. I don't care what her reasons were.

Although in fairness to JJ, I think Prentiss herself should have been a lot more forth coming regarding what was going on.

I just hope we don't get anymore of these so called "JJ's got a big big secret" story line from Messer and Company.  

• Love 3

Thanks for sharing that information, @Willowy!

You should be able to find everything using Willowy's directions; I haven't moved anything within the CM forums in several weeks, although I believe we did have a mod post asking everyone to get back on topic; the other mod in here, @Dougal may have moved something, but I'm not aware if he did. We generally only move posts 1) after there has been a report by another poster, or 2) if the conversation goes wildly off topic, and then we let you know it's happening.

Thanks for posting, everyone!

Guys, I'm not saying I can't find these threads of threads, I'm just saying it's annoying when things get moved when I don't think they're too off-topic. I do think if someone coming in is interested in a thread and part of it gets moved, they might lose track, as I have on some things that are usually conversations, but when they are pulled apart, um, are not. Conversations, I mean. Never mind.

• Love 2

One of the great things about this board is that there are many conversations taking place at once. A single thread buries things and any deviations are easily lost. 

You can still follow multiple conversations you've contributed to, based on your posts, just by the 'my content' tab. It's bolded if someone else has posted.

Lemon squeezy.

And now I have to ask this, because I've always wondered - what is a Q score and how do you find out what someone's might be?

normasm, your strong feelings sometimes mirror my own, and if you really want to watch me get spun out, hop over to Spike's thread in the Buffy section. I go on full-on coloratura rants. JJ gets off light compared to Spike :-D

• Love 1

I don't know how they are quantified, but it's based on a celeb's name and face recognition, familiarity, and popularity. Meaning how likely are people to watch just because so-and-so is on 'Show X'.