Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Wilowy

Jennifer Jareau: Pennsylvania Petite

I like JJ, very much.

Some didn't like it when she changed from media liaison to profiler, and got more physical with the fighting. She also went through a personality shift for about two seasons where she was rude to Reid every chance she got, but it seems like she's back to herself now. 

• Like 2

I don't *hate* JJ.....she's just my least favourite in a cast of eight. I do *hate* some of the things JJ has done and I absolutely hated the huge amount of focus she got when she came back after the firing. I hated 200. I hated Forever People. I especially hated the attitude she gave Reid for much of that year, and despised, detested, loathed and could not stand the way she treated him in Proof. <<<flogging a dead horse department as this has been discussed over and over here>>> But I think a lot of that can be blamed on the writing too.

I don't hate JJ. I don't hate AJ Cook. I just think she's the weakest actor in the cast and her character gets way too much focus. 

• Like 4

Wow! Those are some intense emotions towards JJ. I always thought she was a badass. I thought her transition was realistic. I mean, having a job like that does make you tougher as time goes on. Then again, I don't really pay attention to changes unless they're too in your face. I did notice one thing though, none of the pain she experiences continues for more than episode. It's really weird.

• Like 1

I see JJ as the intensely private person she's said she is (In Heat), who doesn't let people get close to her very easily.  I believe that is because of the suicide of her sister (Risky Business, and others) happening in her apparently gossip-prone small town (North Mammon).  What others see as haughtiness, or coldness, I see as a very understandable reserve, and a classic defense mechanism.  I think AJ plays this well.

I take the show at its word re: her friendship with Reid.  I think she initially found him to be a) not intimidating b) the closest to her age and c) in need of a friend.  I hold the writers responsible for the fact that we didn't see the maturing and respect built into that relationship until the little glimmer we finally got this year.   I do think JJ has a natural tendency toward nurturing, which we have seen in countless interactions with frightened and grieving victims and families, right into this past season.  I think AJ plays all of this well, too.

While I can see her getting frustrated with her best friend at times, and can thus overlook some of the reactions that incensed others, I do think the character suffered at the hands of the writers for several seasons.  (The awful) 200 was bad, not because of JJ or AJ, but because the entire premise of the story was stupid.  It would have been equally stupid if it had been written about any of the other characters as well.

I'm about to get into 'unpopular opinion' territory here.  I thought 'The Forever People' was okay.  In contrast to probably everyone else, I hold MGG responsible for the painfulness of that scene between Reid and JJ.  It was MGG who put the 'hurt puppy dog' look on Reid's face.  He could have played it as strongly sympathetic and shocked, but he played it as helpless.  That wasn't JJ giving it to Reid.  That was Reid not standing strong for JJ.  

I think AJ is more than capable of bringing it, when she's given material to work with, and I enjoy her on screen.

• Like 4

Here is what I think happened. Erica Messer had plans for the Seaver character. When that plan went by the wayside with the firing of RN, instead of just dropping the whole idea, Messer instead decided to make that character JJ. And in the process she and her writers proceeded to butcher the crap out of JJ's canon history and ruin her for so many of us. And yes I do give them credit for finally starting to dial her back. And I will admit to being pleasantly surprised by the fact that I was rather okay with JJ being the one there for Reid. However my feelings could easily have been the opposite had their scenes been written similarly to some of the ones in the past.

35 minutes ago, JMO said:

I see JJ as the intensely private person she's said she is (In Heat), who doesn't let people get close to her very easily.  I believe that is because of the suicide of her sister (Risky Business, and others) happening in her apparently gossip-prone small town (North Mammon).  What others see as haughtiness, or coldness, I see as a very understandable reserve, and a classic defense mechanism.  I think AJ plays this well.

I take the show at its word re: her friendship with Reid.  I think she initially found him to be a) not intimidating b) the closest to her age and c) in need of a friend.  I hold the writers responsible for the fact that we didn't see the maturing and respect built into that relationship until the little glimmer we finally got this year.   I do think JJ has a natural tendency toward nurturing, which we have seen in countless interactions with frightened and grieving victims and families, right into this past season.  I think AJ plays all of this well, too.

While I can see her getting frustrated with her best friend at times, and can thus overlook some of the reactions that incensed others, I do think the character suffered at the hands of the writers for several seasons.  (The awful) 200 was bad, not because of JJ or AJ, but because the entire premise of the story was stupid.  It would have been equally stupid if it had been written about any of the other characters as well.

I'm about to get into 'unpopular opinion' territory here.  I thought 'The Forever People' was okay.  In contrast to probably everyone else, I hold MGG responsible for the painfulness of that scene between Reid and JJ.  It was MGG who put the 'hurt puppy dog' look on Reid's face.  He could have played it as strongly sympathetic and shocked, but he played it as helpless.  That wasn't JJ giving it to Reid.  That was Reid not standing strong for JJ.  

I think AJ is more than capable of bringing it, when she's given material to work with, and I enjoy her on screen.

If that was the case why did not the director step in and correct Matthew. I sure as heck would have preferred Reid to be seen as you have suggested instead of what we got. Which was Reid coming across as a bit of a buffoon, absolutely clueless as to what to do with this situation with JJ, not to mention the way it affected his over all performance where his job was concerned. 

11 minutes ago, MMC said:

If that was the case why did not the director step in and correct Matthew. I sure as heck would have preferred Reid to be seen as you have suggested instead of what we got. Which was Reid coming across as a bit of a buffoon, absolutely clueless as to what to do with this situation with JJ, not to mention the way it affected his over all performance where his job was concerned. 

By that line of reasoning, why hold any of the actors responsible for any of the choices they make?

15 minutes ago, JMO said:

By that line of reasoning, why hold any of the actors responsible for any of the choices they make?

I am not saying that they shouldn't be. In fact many times I feel they do have some responsibility, but does not the director also have a responsibility to correct them if a cast member believes a part should be played one way when it probably would have been much better had they played it another way.

Edited by MMC
  • Like 1

I agree, MMC.  But I've gathered, from various interviews over time, that directors like to give the actors leeway in their interpretations, because that is their art form, and it is what they have to bring to the table.  But I agree that, if the actor's interpretation throws the whole story out of whack, it will be 'directed' elsewhere.

In the case of this particular episode, it would be my guess that the director was more focused on the overall JJ storyline, and less on Reid's role in it.  Given the pace at which the show is put together, it's likely a lot of less desirable things slip by, in every episode.  Maybe in the context of a feature film, it could be different.  

Waiting for "Criminal Minds:  The Movie".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

as long as it isn't all about JJ.........

Wouldn't bother me at all, because it would inherently be about Reid, too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JMO said:

I agree, MMC.  But I've gathered, from various interviews over time, that directors like to give the actors leeway in their interpretations, because that is their art form, and it is what they have to bring to the table.  But I agree that, if the actor's interpretation throws the whole story out of whack, it will be 'directed' elsewhere.

In the case of this particular episode, it would be my guess that the director was more focused on the overall JJ storyline, and less on Reid's role in it.  Given the pace at which the show is put together, it's likely a lot of less desirable things slip by, in every episode.  Maybe in the context of a feature film, it could be different.  

I guess that does make sense. But in all honesty perhaps they need to find some sort of balance between the actors themselves interpreting the way a scene should be played and how the director feels it should be played.  Now where Reid was concerned maybe the director should have given a little more thought as to how his character was coming across especially since, aside from JJ herself, his role was probably the most pivotal, as he was the one JJ ended up confiding to.

3 minutes ago, MMC said:

I guess that does make sense. But in all honesty perhaps they need to find some sort of balance between the actors themselves interpreting the way a scene should be played and how the director feels it should be played.  Now where Reid was concerned maybe the director should have given a little more thought as to how his character was coming across especially since, aside from JJ herself, his role was probably the most pivotal, as he was the one JJ ended up confiding to.

That would definitely have been my preference, too.  But MGG does it a lot, which is why I think it was his choice.

Edited by JMO · Reason: unruly 'd'

4 hours ago, JMO said:

Hmm..this is interesting. I read some parts of cm scripts, and one whole one. How a character is supposed to react/feel is often written in the actual script. So, it seems to me that at least initially, it's the writer that decides how characters react emotionally. Which makes perfect sense, they are the story creators. 

However I do think directors/writers often change the scene once it's being filmed. The writer of the script is on set when filming for this very pupose. Here's a full original cm script I found: http://www.zen134237.zen.co.uk/Criminal_Minds_5x02_-_Haunted.pdf

If you read the script there are often descriptions of a character's emotional state. However, if you watch this episode you will see that quite a bit changed. So, I assume it's a collaboration that happens on set between the director, writer, and actor/actress.

That being said, I do not blame the actors/actresses for playing a certain emotion. Their job is emoting the emotions they are told to. They are not story creators, and emotions are part of the creation of the story. 

I do think that the CM actors/actresses may be given input how their charcater behaves since they have been on this show a long time and people believe that the actor/actress knows the character   well. That being said, I still cannot blame the actor/actress. I judge actors/actresses based on how they convey an emotion, not what emotion they are conveying. What emotion they convey should be up to the story creators. If the writers gives the actor some leeway to make their own choice, I'm still going to blame the writer because at the end if the day they are responsible for the story content, not the actor. The writer should have stepped in if the actor/actress was going somewhere wrong with a scene. I guess I view story creating as the writer's art, and just acting as the actor/actresse's art.

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, JMO said:

I didn't think it was so wimpy as others, and you do. I think Matthew was playing it that Spencer knew something was wrong, and when he found it involved the loss of a pregnancy, something JJ really prizes above all else, he was gobsmacked. Just because he didn't "comfort" her, or mansplain how she should feel now (get over it), it doesn't mean he was wimpy and ineffectual. It is demonstrated at the end of the episode, when he allows her to access info about Ascari (or not, as she chooses), he was trying to find a way that she could work through her problem. Rather than a man "solving" her problem, her friend tried to find a way that she could see through to coping with her victimization and loss. It was very Spencer, IMO.

• Like 5

I was watching a Tru Calling the other day and I realized how much "chubbier" AJ Cook was. It's insane how much weight she's lost. I don't remember her being like this even on Criminal Minds. She's always had full cheeks. Now her cheekbones look like they can cut a person in half.

19 hours ago, KatsDivision said:

I was watching a Tru Calling the other day and I realized how much "chubbier" AJ Cook was. It's insane how much weight she's lost. I don't remember her being like this even on Criminal Minds. She's always had full cheeks. Now her cheekbones look like they can cut a person in half.

Yes, It's alarming how thin she's gotten. She doesn't look well at all. I mean, she's still extremely beautiful. She will always be the most beautiful actress, her beautiful heart shines through her whole being. I meant to say: she looks like she's not feeling well. I really hope what we heard about her health earlier this year isn't true and that she's ok and healthy. but I have a bad feeling. She's been running under the radar this year... and last year. Even if you don't believe in prayers, send positive energy and healing vibes her way for whatever might be going on.

Also, the sick insane hewitt fans need to stop tormenting her. You never ever ever know what someone is going through in their life. If anything ever did happen to AJ, I hope the sickos behind those awful accounts realise the weight of what they are doing. "Guilt is the most painful companion of death". If you EVER bully anyone online the way AJ is being bullied, know that that kind of behaviour lasts forever.

6 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

Yes, It's alarming how thin she's gotten. She doesn't look well at all. I mean, she's still extremely beautiful. She will always be the most beautiful actress, her beautiful heart shines through her whole being. I meant to say: she looks like she's not feeling well. I really hope what we heard about her health earlier this year isn't true and that she's ok and healthy. but I have a bad feeling. She's been running under the radar this year... and last year. Even if you don't believe in prayers, send positive energy and healing vibes her way for whatever might be going on.

Also, the sick insane hewitt fans need to stop tormenting her. You never ever ever know what someone is going through in their life. If anything ever did happen to AJ, I hope the sickos behind those awful accounts realise the weight of what they are doing. "Guilt is the most painful companion of death". If you EVER bully anyone online the way AJ is being bullied, know that that kind of behaviour lasts forever.

She's always been thin and tiny but I remember her mostly for her full face. Anyway, what are Hewitt fans? And why is she getting bullied? I never heard of this before. 

Edit: Hewitt fans as in JLH's fans? I keep forgetting she was on the show. What does she even have to do with JLH?? That doesn't make any sense. Am I missing something? 

Edited by KatsDivision

56 minutes ago, KatsDivision said:

She's always been thin and tiny but I remember her mostly for her full face. Anyway, what are Hewitt fans? And why is she getting bullied? I never heard of this before. 

Edit: Hewitt fans as in JLH's fans? I keep forgetting she was on the show. What does she even have to do with JLH?? That doesn't make any sense. Am I missing something? 

never heard her full name? never heard about her as an actress? or never heard about her fans being bullies? Don't worry, that "woman" 's career started with CM and it also ended with CM. No one knows who she is.

I'll dm you the whole story later today, I don't have time rn :( This thread is about AJ, not her. Long story short:
jlh fans bullied AJ off every social media platform
they bullied Jeanne off the show
they harassed Paget, hoping she would change her mind about coming back to her CM family
Oh and they tried to bully Aisha into leaving.
Reason for this: jealousy.

Harry Bring - executive producer of CM , had to defend AJ from these sick people on many occasions. He's so kind.

4 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

never heard her full name? never heard about her as an actress? or never heard about her fans being bullies? Don't worry, that "woman" 's career started with CM and it also ended with CM. No one knows who she is.

I'll dm you the whole story later today, I don't have time rn :( This thread is about AJ, not her. Long story short:
they harassed Paget, hoping she would change her mind about coming back to her CM family

Harry Bring - executive producer of CM , had to defend AJ from these sick people on many occasions. He's so kind.

Oh no, I didn't mean I hadn't heard of her. Of course I have. For some reason, I thought it was a word that referred to something else then I remembered that you were referring to JLH. I forgot she was on the show. She was on it for a short while. Anyway, I didnt know her fans harassed AJ and the rest of the cast. That's terrible.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, Blackbird999999lol said:

I sort of suspect (in fact I pretty much know) that it wasn't a JLH fan at all that did this. But instead was this one particular AJC fan who admitted to me one time that she created a fake JLH twitter account in order to harass the cast and crew.  I suspect (know) though it was more than one. She would than use these fake accounts to bash AJ and her character. Meanwhile she would use one of her other so call accounts to bash JLH and call her a heartless bitch for refusing to do anything about her fans that were harassing poor AJC.

• Like 3