Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Nice To Metria

• Start Topic

ITA about Kandi but I would say that the decision not to do anything about it is intentional rather than circumstantial.   I know way too many people who have/had this exact sort of toxicity and manipulation in their maternal relationships and honestly, there's no way NOT to see it unless, as a coping mechanism, you flat out decide that you don't want to.   Which explains why she hasn't sought counseling, from Kandi's perspective she's decided this isn't a problem for her, it's everybody else's issue.

girl I kept saying who's Sandra? lol.  Todd's mom's name was Sharon.

LOL. I'm having a name dropping issue this week. I have had to correct about five names that I luckily noticed before posting! I referred to Todd in the post you quoted as Peter (yuk) before I caught it, I've referred to Sharon as Joyce (!) and it gets worse from there!

Edited by renatae

Phaedra was at the reunion this year spouting about how she had a HUZZbin while all Kenya would ever have is some scrambled eggs and not knowing who her donor in a cup would be.  I want to say the "I'on't give a f*ck about Cynthia" comment was in the previous season as well.

It's not like Phaedra/Cynthia and Phaedra/Kenya conflict was so long ago; these flare ups have been happening in the past year.

I didn't see Riley wearing beats by Dre headphones as her showing off.  Some of the other kids in her family probably have beats by Dre headphones too (and probably had them at the cookout).  I see kids everyday in all parts of town wearing beats by Dre headphones.

I really don't think Riley was wearing them to be rude.  I think she was wearing them to block out the family bullsh*t.  I'm pretty sure she wasn't grooving while Aunts Nora and Bertha were trying to talk to her.  At any rate, Kandi should've told her to take them off if it was going to be a problem.

Yeah, I know she said that at the reunion.  It doesn't mean because she once thought her marriage was good, it applies forever.  There has been nothing about her behavior this year that suggests she is trying to act like she and Apollo have the perfect marriage.  It is quite the opposite.  Every talking head is about how Apollo doesn't care about his kids and how she cannot get past what he did.  They don't show up to events together.  She did not go to court with him and support him.  She doesn't act like she is happy to see him when she does, even when it is in public.  Her troubles with him are public enough that Nene told a group of the women that she thought Apollo was lying about lying because he's not in a good place with Phaedra.  If Cynthia and Kenya want to play dumb and ignore all of that because Phaedra once claimed to be a happily married woman, that is on them and IMO it is forced and nonsensical.  It's not exactly shocking or uncommon for a marriage that was once good to sour.

• Love 10

The snipping between Phaedra and Cynthia went both ways, it was not just 1 sided. Phaedra did not revel in Peters business failures nor in their, Cynthia/Peters, many marital problems that they have had on camera. That is why Cynthia crossed the line for me, she was happy to see Phaedra in pain and that is wrong on so many levels.

When did Cynthia ever snipe or shade Phaedra before now? Was it when Phaedra called Peter "Uncle Ben" and "Papa Smurf?"

Was it when Phaedra said in front of Cynthia & Peter that HER man was "clean"? (in reference to Peter having 5 kids and 4 baby mommas)

Was it when Cynthia was walking down the runway and Phaedra was ki'ki'ing over Cynthia's butt & cottage cheese?

Or was it when Phaedra was caught on the hot mic saying "she ain't give a f*ck" if Cynthia came to her function or not?

We've seen plenty of shade & sniping from Phaedra to Cynthia, but this is pretty much the first we've seen of shade/sniping from Cynthia to Phaedra.

I don't see Cynthia being happy that anyone is hurting or anyone's marriage ending; I don't think that's her personality.

But I think there's more backstory to Cynthia vs. Phaedra than what has been shown and I think it goes something like this:

• Cynthia & Peter socialized off camera with Apollo & Phaedra
  • Phaedra presented her marriage a certain way (which is her right) to Cynthia & Peter
  • Phaedra may have said some slick ish to Cynthia about HER marriage and/or Peter (<---this is a problem)
  • Phaedra/Apollo are on the rocks; Phaedra no longer has to socialize with Cynthia & Peter
  • However, Apollo is still socializing with Peter and presents his side of the marriage, which is different from Phaedra's side
  • Peter runtelsdat to Cynthia
  • Because Peter is on Apollo's side, Cynthia is also on Apollo's side (or at least more receptive to his side) <---this is what we'll see play out on camera

The only way I see Cynthia being happy over Phaedra hurting is if Phaedra either said something slick to Cynthia about her marriage to Peter or threw up her happy marriage in Cynthia's face...hence, her slip is showing. 

As for Phaedra's comment about Kenya and IVF, she knew it was just another storyline Kenya was making up for the show, it was not and is not real, just like the Walter story......FAKE!

We don't know if Kenya's IVF is fake but we do know Phaedra took great pleasure in laughing at another woman's fertility struggles and took every chance she got to taunt Kenya about being old and having scrambled eggs and nobody to whisk them. So if we're going to blast Cynthia for giggling over Phaedra's marriage struggles we need to also blast Phaedra for giggling over Kenya's fertility struggles.

And if we're going to say that Phaedra is justified in laughing at Kenya's fertility struggles then we also need to say that Cynthia is justified for laughing at Phaedra's marriage struggles, too.

It doesn't mean because she once thought her marriage was good, it applies forever.

Phaedra didn't say 5 years ago that she was standing by her man and now the marriage is struggling, she said this at the end of March when the reunion was filmed and Apollo was sentenced in July and Phaedra was nowhere to be seen. 

If somebody is rolling their neck in March about how they got a HUZZBIN and they gonna stand by their HUZZBIN while all somebody else has is a Dixie cup and a deferred dream, then you find out 3.5 months later that they left that same HUZZbin twisting in the wind by himself, yeah, you're gonna be shocked after all that talk.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 11

Regardless of all the times Phaedra may have thrown shade at Cynthia over trivial things, what Phaedra is dealing with by way of her husband is pretty serious.  And Cynthia has suddenly shown a track record this season of coming down off of her "I'm a lady and I don't act like that" high horse....it's unbecoming of her and out of character.  It seems as though Cynthia has decided that since her friendship with Nene ended she needs to prove to everyone she never needed Nene and can play with the big girls all on her own....which has turned her into a spiteful bitch, IMO.

Which is why she is #1 on my most hated housewife list currently.

• Love 7

Everyone keeps saying this but I don't see it. Apollo has such hatred for Phaedra that if she was involved with his criminal activity I think he would have spilled it to the Feds. To cut down his own time and punish Phaedra for trying to in his words "control" him. It would be his ultimate revenge.

ITA. I think if he could have taken Phaedra down, he would have done so happily.

• Love 12
Phaedra didn't say 5 years ago that she was standing by her man and now the marriage is struggling, she said this at the end of March when the reunion was filmed and Apollo was sentenced in July and Phaedra was nowhere to be seen.

If somebody is rolling their neck in March about how they got a HUZZBIN and they gonna stand by their HUZZBIN while all somebody else has is a Dixie cup and a deferred dream, then you find out 3.5 months later that they left that same HUZZbin twisting in the wind by himself, yeah, you're gonna be shocked after all that talk.

I didn't get the feeling that they're shocked.  They were gleeful and enjoying it, and actually knew from prior events that the marriage was not in a good place.  In fact, Kenya has been implying for years that Apollo was straying and a bad husband, so again, nothing to be shocked over.  Besides, whether their marriage fell apart in 2 years or 3 months, I don't see why it matters because when we knew for a fact that it was bad and they were getting divorced, Phaedra wasn't on screen talking about how wonderful her marriage is.  She was saying that it was over.  So, I don't see how it is inconsistent.

• Love 4
Yes, they are common now days but it was still rude behavior. At least take them off until after you greet your family members then put them back on. If Riley doesn't know better, then Kandi should have told her.

Agreed. And I don't think Riley was intentionally trying to be rude. I just think she is spoiled. It's clear to me that she has been raised to think she can do as she likes, when she likes, and just doesn't really put much thought into other people. I could be totally off-base, we don't see a ton of her - but that's just the impression that I get. She's not malicious, just wasn't raised to know better. Hopefully she gets a clue when she is grown. 

• Love 6

ITA. I think if he could have taken Phaedra down, he would have done so happily.

I agree, unless his ultimate goal is to be set up once he gets out of jail -- and thinks if he rats on Phaedra, there will be no money left.

• Love 3

When did Cynthia ever snipe or shade Phaedra before now? Was it when Phaedra called Peter "Uncle Ben" and "Papa Smurf?"

Was it when Phaedra said in front of Cynthia & Peter that HER man was "clean"? (in reference to Peter having 5 kids and 4 baby mommas)

Was it when Cynthia was walking down the runway and Phaedra was ki'ki'ing over Cynthia's butt & cottage cheese?

Or was it when Phaedra was caught on the hot mic saying "she ain't give a f*ck" if Cynthia came to her function or not?

We've seen plenty of shade & sniping from Phaedra to Cynthia, but this is pretty much the first we've seen of shade/sniping from Cynthia to Phaedra.

I don't see Cynthia being happy that anyone is hurting or anyone's marriage ending; I don't think that's her personality.

But I think there's more backstory to Cynthia vs. Phaedra than what has been shown and I think it goes something like this:

• Cynthia & Peter socialized off camera with Apollo & Phaedra
  • Phaedra presented her marriage a certain way (which is her right) to Cynthia & Peter
  • Phaedra may have said some slick ish to Cynthia about HER marriage and/or Peter (<---this is a problem)
  • Phaedra/Apollo are on the rocks; Phaedra no longer has to socialize with Cynthia & Peter
  • However, Apollo is still socializing with Peter and presents his side of the marriage, which is different from Phaedra's side
  • Peter runtelsdat to Cynthia
  • Because Peter is on Apollo's side, Cynthia is also on Apollo's side (or at least more receptive to his side) <---this is what we'll see play out on camera

The only way I see Cynthia being happy over Phaedra hurting is if Phaedra either said something slick to Cynthia about her marriage to Peter or threw up her happy marriage in Cynthia's face...hence, her slip is showing. 

We don't know if Kenya's IVF is fake but we do know Phaedra took great pleasure in laughing at another woman's fertility struggles and took every chance she got to taunt Kenya about being old and having scrambled eggs and nobody to whisk them. So if we're going to blast Cynthia for giggling over Phaedra's marriage struggles we need to also blast Phaedra for giggling over Kenya's fertility struggles.

And if we're going to say that Phaedra is justified in laughing at Kenya's fertility struggles then we also need to say that Cynthia is justified for laughing at Phaedra's marriage struggles, too.

You don't find it telling that Cynthia/Peter seem to always side with the guy in the divorce, except for Nene/Gregg? They did with Kordell verses Porsha,.....and wonder of wonders, Peter is now partners with Kordell in a bar and now with Apollo.....I have to wonder what Peter got out of this alliance because I have no doubt that he profited from it in some way $$$$$$!

Unless we know for sure that something was said between them off camera, which we do not,  Cynthia's joy in Phaedra's obvious pain, discomfort and humiliation was ugly and uncalled for. Especially from someone that proclaims she is all about supporting other women, which we see that in reality she does not.

As I said up thread, if Kenya wants to take pleasure in Phaedra's pain, she alone has earned that right to some degree because they are fighting and Phaedra got ugly toward her even though she, Kenya, started that fight herself by telling the lie that P/A did not want to pay her for the DVD, Phaedra did get nasty because she believed her husband's lie. And, yes, I do think Kenya's IVF/baby story is nothing more than a fake storyline to keep her on the show.

I have to laugh at 1 thing, Andy said recently that Porsha was downgraded to FOH because she was unwilling to have her private life, including her BF appear on the show but he, Andy, has no problem with Kenya pulling that same stunt. Kenya's African BF suddenly is out of the picture and she is no longer trying to get pregnant because she would have to produce him and her IVF progress ON CAMERA! LOL

• Love 9

We don't know if Kenya's IVF is fake but we do know Phaedra took great pleasure in laughing at another woman's fertility struggles and took every chance she got to taunt Kenya about being old and having scrambled eggs and nobody to whisk them.

But what fertility struggles does she have except aging out of the system? Per her storyline, her goal was to get married then have children. Since she had the luxury of turning down seven or eight proposals, I don't think her biological clock was bothering her too much nor was she trying to get pregnant. Jumping into the game at the last minute is not a fertility issue of the same caliber as continually trying and not succeeding. 

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 3

But what fertility struggles does she have except aging out of the system? Per her storyline, her goal was to get married then have children. Since she had the luxury of turning down seven or eight proposals, I don't think her biological clock was bothering her too much nor was trying to get pregnant. Jumping into the game at the last minute is not a fertility issue of the same caliber as continually trying and not succeeding. 

Didn't Kenya's own OBGYN tell her on the show that she was healthy and that there was nothing wrong with her other than her age, about getting pregnant, last season?  That it was possible for her to get pregnant the old fashioned way but that IVF would give her better odds than relying on intercourse alone, so the need for IVF, IMO, was nothing more than a fake storyline designed to spark sympathy from the viewers after Kenya threatened physical violence to a very pregnant Phaedra on the previous reunion. Now this season, Andy demands that all the HW's film with their husbands/BFs or else face demotion/pay cut and low and behold, Kenya is no longer seeing her "African prince" and is no longer pursuing the (very bogus) IVF storyline! Wonder of Wonders! LOL

• Love 5

Didn't Kenya's own OBGYN tell her on the show that she was healthy and that there was nothing wrong with her other than her age, about getting pregnant, last season?  That it was possible for her to get pregnant the old fashioned way but that IVF would give her better odds than relying on intercourse alone, so the need for IVF, IMO, was nothing more than a fake storyline designed to spark sympathy from the viewers after Kenya threatened physical violence to a very pregnant Phaedra on the previous reunion. Now this season, Andy demands that all the HW's film with their husbands/BFs or else face demotion/pay cut and low and behold, Kenya is no longer seeing her "African prince" and is no longer pursuing the (very bogus) IVF storyline! Wonder of Wonders! LOL

Sounds familiar although I can't remember much about that episode except her strange lists of physical wants for the donor. Made everybody wonder why she didn't hand over a cup to Brandon. But the worst part of the whole fraud was that she was actively dating her African prince yet going for IVF treatments. Kenya's intelligent but something in her wiring makes her think most people are really stupid.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 2

Well, that's because she did.  My man is clean (unlike yours, Cynthia), I have a HUZZbin (unlike you, Kenya).  I don't believe there's ever been any love lost between Cynthia and Phaedra.  Only someone who lowkey dislikes somebody goes around telling people "I'on't give a f*ck if Cynthia show up at my party or not."  That's pretty aggressive, I think.  I think there's always been some type of tension between Phaedra & Cynthia but it was always icy & polite so it may not have made for good television.

Apollo was not going to do anything to Phaedra in the middle of a packed club and there were plenty of people there to shut it down if he had tried it. 

If Apollo had done the same thing to Kenya in the club that he did to Phaedra*, nobody would've been coming to Kenya's defense and in fact would've suggested she deserved it.

When Christopher Williams snatched up Kenya's arm during Pillow Talk, the only person that came to Kenya's physical defense was Brandon.  Everyone else said it was her fault Christopher Williams snatched her arm.

The most Kenya or Cynthia could've done was call for security. (and then both of them would've been accused of getting in Phaedra's business).  But heck, Phaedra's pals were sitting right there and didn't do anything; why should Kenya or Cynthia?

*Apollo talked to Kenya in the same threatening tone at the reunion that he had with Phaedra in the club, and nobody was concerned about Kenya's welfare.

I was uncomfortable with Apollo attending the party, but I never thought he would do anything to Phaedra.  I took Apollo's actions as being selfish, tone deaf, and inappropriate - his typically behavior (if we did not know about his legal troubles, it would have been a typically outing IMO).  What was telling, IMO, is that Kandi was cheering it on, saying something about they were making up.

I really don't see any of the cast sitting idly by if Apollo was a real threat to Phaedra, even Kenya.  I think Kenya, Kandi, Porsha and Peter would verbally intervene; I think Cynthia would call security.  They only sit idly by when Kenya is threatened.

Drivethroo, I appreciate that you pointed out the fact that no one had a problem with it when Apollo was saying ugly things to Kenya at the reunion.  Note that the cultured and refined Mrs. Nida didn't say a word nor did she give her husband nonverbal cues that he needed to stop talking that way.  As I recall, she sat there with her nose haughtily up in the air because she was under the mistaken notion that Kenya gave her husband head, thus Kenya deserved to be talked to like she was trash off the street.

Phaedra could have chosen not to go sit by Apollo if she thought he was going to hurt her or she could have left the party altogether.  If she is to be believed, then she has the money to walk away from RHOA anytime she chooses to do so with her legal practice and her funeral business.  Phaedra had/has the means to cut Apollo off well before he was convicted.  The question is why didn't she sit him on the curb long before now.

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 5

Phaedra could have chosen not to go sit by Apollo if she thought he was going to hurt her or she could have left the party altogether.

I think Phaedra was trying to prevent Apollo from getting loud and acting a complete ass in public.  He even mentioned that it could very well go there.  He took advantage of her uncomfortable state and tried to intimidate her into being lovey-dovey and making out in public because he knew that she would not verbally spar with him in public.  I think he wanted to see her squirm and got great pleasure out of accomplishing that.  I don't think Phaedra is afraid of Apollo, I think she's just tired of him making an ass of himself in public. 

• Love 9

I think Phaedra was trying to prevent Apollo from getting loud and acting a complete ass in public.  He even mentioned that it could very well go there.  He took advantage of her uncomfortable state and tried to intimidate her into being lovey-dovey and making out in public because he knew that she would not verbally spar with him in public.  I think he wanted to see her squirm and got great pleasure out of accomplishing that.  I don't think Phaedra is afraid of Apollo, I think she's just tired of him making an ass of himself in public. 

I agree with you about Apollo's actions, but he is being Apollo.  He makes an ass of himself regularly and I thought her not attending his sentencing was her public line in the sand.  She demonstrated that she no longer cared about what he did or did not do in public when she chose not to attend his sentencing so her position at the party does not make sense to me.  Grabbing her purse and air kissing the ladies goodbye would have neutralized Apollo and allowed her to take the high road.....if she really did not need RHOA.

Phaedra is all about appearances.  She needs this show and her embarrassment is that this storyline contradicts her carefully cultivated image.

Cooksdelight, I think we have heard Phaedra's voice.  I don't see her as a victim in this scenario because she wanted all of this.  She wanted a man that she could control with her intellect and her money, but he was not as controllable as she thought.  Phaedra has been embarrassed by Apollo and she is under a lot of stress because of him, but she will come out smelling like a rose because she won't have it any other way.  She is working this storyline to her advantage.

• Love 4

Agreed. And I don't think Riley was intentionally trying to be rude. I just think she is spoiled. It's clear to me that she has been raised to think she can do as she likes, when she likes, and just doesn't really put much thought into other people. I could be totally off-base, we don't see a ton of her - but that's just the impression that I get. She's not malicious, just wasn't raised to know better. Hopefully she gets a clue when she is grown. 

And before she turns into MJ Rerun.

She always seemed sweet before, and she seemed to really like Todd's daughter - until she showed up at Riley's home.

It seems to be a common theme on a few of the HW shows, having a "gay" friend/sidekick. It makes me wonder if they think it curries favor with Andy to announce they have a gay friend or that they need a gay friend on the show. Brandi (BH) announces her "gay gents" all the time, Ramona (NY) introduces her "gay husband" every season as has Sonja, even Kenya has used the "gay friend" title in describing Brandon several times since joining the show. They need to stop using/saying "gay" and just say friend IMO.

Nobody has rubbed me as wrongly as NeNe when it comes to some of things she has said about gays.  She has been condescending and disparaging.

I think Apollo is keeping quiet about the whole thing because she is setting aside money for him.  He would love to squeal on her, but he doesn't want to move into an affordable housing complex and get a job at McDonalds when he gets out in 8 years.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that after Apollo testified that Phaedra had nothing to do with it, saying something different after testifying could result in a perjury charge and more prison time.

I also think Nene was trying to smooth the waters with her comment about how she needs to have a gay friend or something and now she has one. After her comments about Brandon last season in that fight he had with Apollo.

NeNe's not a dummy.  She knew what she was saying and it was patronizing.  I resent people like her who will use gays for profit, but don't seem to have true regard and respect.

• Love 3

I had forgotten all about Porsha until she showed up at the music video debut that never was.  She really was a non-motherfucking entity. 

As for Phaedra, why is she still on this show?  She is constantly talking about her many jobs that keep her so busy and how she is a single parent even though Apollo hadn't surrendered yet.  She also doesn't want to talk about the Apollo situation on camera, even with her 'friend' Kandi the ShitStirrer.  So what other storyline is supposed to keep us interested?  She shouldn't have been asked back this season.  She was probably counting on being able to berate Whore Moore about tempting her jailbound huzzbin, then Apollo went and flipped that on her. 

Nothing new to say about Kandi.  That marriage is over.  Todd is just DONE.