Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

I don't have any pics yet, nor have we come up with a name. I welcome any suggestions. We considered naming her Archer and calling her Duchess (Archer's code name). But duchess is a little stuffy for me. Special Agent Jack Bauer is also out, because my son's name is Jack. 

I'll post pics as soon as I get some! I'm excited. My Westie, Jimmy Neutron, died 5 years ago, and I've really missed having a dog. 

I've  never heard of a Lagotto. Looks like a cross between a poodle and a springer spaniel. 

As far as having a young and old dog -I think it's good. I've noticed having a younger dog around perks up the older dog oftentimes. And I worry, like with my cats. They've never been without each other. I don't know how the last one left will do when one of them dies. 

The cats are going to be so mad when the puppy moves in!

Is anyone watching The Magicians? Man, SyFy really butchers the editing. I had to go to the app just to see the end of this week's episode. 

Edited by Pixel
8 hours ago, Pixel said:

Is anyone watching The Magicians? Man, SyFy really butchers the editing. I had to go to the app just to see the end of this week's episode. 

Congrats on the puppy, Pixel

I tried to watch the first episode and couldn't get through it, but all my friends are loving it! So I feel like I need to give it another try and power through the first two episodes to see if it gets better. 

• Love 1

nor have we come up with a name. I welcome any suggestions. 

well, my friend who is shopping for a reputable corgi breeder-- plans on naming her pup Finster-- because she likes the name (from the Bugs Bunny cartoon about the gangster who looks like a baby)

You're welcome to it

anyone watching The Magicians? 

I caught the first season on Netflix-- I watched the first two episodes of the second season-- but have fallen behind since then. I was a little pissed that because I watched the episodes on the Syfy channel, stories spoiling recent episodes started appearing in my FB feed. (damn cookies!)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Pixel said:

I don't have any pics yet, nor have we come up with a name. I welcome any suggestions.

My Corgi was Petey. Since I've only had rescues, my dogs had names, I didn't have to come up with it. BTW Jimmy Neutron is an awesome name.  Do you always have pet names that coincide with your TV likes?

Sometimes. My cat is named after a video game cat. I like to pick fun names for pets. 

Jimmy's actual registered name was James Isaac Neutron, just like the animated character. 

Edited by Pixel

Death Chicken after talking about dogs? Inconceivable! 

Two friends of mine in the great state of MA said they got snow - one to six inches. It seemed wrong to write them that the sun and blooming here is killing my eyes. I need more allergy eyedrops.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Death Chicken after talking about dogs? Inconceivable! 

Two friends of mine in the great state of MA said they got snow - one to six inches. It seemed wrong to write them that the sun and blooming here is killing my eyes. I need more allergy eyedrops.

We had snow but no accumulation--we live close enough to the ocean for that. But it's supposed to be up in the 50s for the next few days here, so it's good. Also, it's New England. Snow in April is not exactly a surprise or unheard of. We'll get a few chilly, raw days in May, too. 

And hey, if we're going to talk about dogs, I'm going to put a little public service announcement. April is National Adopt a Greyhound month. 

12924320_1355627127796842_46812908673441

And when they say soft couches, yes. They like to lay around on soft spots. Like this:

friday comfy.jpg

They're great dogs--great with people, don't need a lot of exercise and are just happy snuggled up. 

• Love 2

"Spring is here/spring is here/life is skittles/and life is beer..."

Yes, I think spring is slowly coming to southcentral (Alaska)! We had a big dump of heavy wet snow (due to warm temperatures) the middle of last week, but it's been near or in the 40s during the day since then and it is MELTING!!!eleventy!!! Of course, there is still two feet of snow in my yard, but it is MELTING!

Now I just need to get my shit together and get back to the gym (and on my diet) so I can fit into my summer clothes. 

Well, friends. @Pixel is in Hawaii. So we should all be jealous of that, while she's gone. Boo.

I recently got a great "offer" for a trip to the Westin Resort on Maui for only $800 for six nights/five days as long as I sit through a 120 minute informational session on rental opportunities. 

A part of me is seriously considering it. Not even lying. 

The weather has finally turned here in Chicago. Spring has sprung! And not a moment too soon. I'm having the house resided, the landscaping in the front yard re-done and a handyman come out to clean up any lingering "house projects" that I keep pretending I'll get to one day. 

I'm determined to enjoy this summer and not work as many hours as I did last summer. Fingers crossed that actually happens. 

14 minutes ago, Glory said:

I recently got a great "offer" for a trip to the Westin Resort on Maui for only $800 for six nights/five days as long as I sit through a 120 minute informational session on rental opportunities. 

Some friends of mine did the "info session" slog a few years ago. They said it was worth the trip. (They're in Spain right now.) And yeah, Pixel's in Hawaii without our permission! How dare she. 

19 minutes ago, Glory said:

I'm determined to enjoy this summer and not work as many hours as I did last summer. 

The Summer of Glory?  

• Love 1

My upcoming vacation-- admittedly not a cool as Hawaii. I'm going with my Mom to visit my older sister in Seattle. Her daughter is in a high school band that was invited to play at a Victoria Day parade in, well, Victoria. So we're taking the ferry to Victoria and staying in a hotel famous for its high tea.

It's a very girly trip- Three generations of women having tea and scones.  My mom hasn't been out of the country since a 1990 trip to Ireland.   

(I'm currently stalking Justin Trudeau's website to see if he'll make an appearance. *sigh* He's so dreamy)

• Love 1

Thanks for outing me, @Glory! Yeah, I'm in Maui again. Heading home on Saturday night. At this point we pretty much have our routine down. Snorkel and beach in the mornings, shave ice in the evenings for the kids ( although there's gelato here now, and it's fabulous!), and touristy shopping in the afternoons. And of course, we have to do the glass artist world tour of the 4 galleries here that carry his glass. My husband says he does it to make their day, but I know he just wants the ego boost from all the adulation. It's pretty amusing to watch the gallery staff gush over him. 

My shopping always consists of window shopping. I can't afford the prices, and I've realized that when I shop, I'm drawn to the things that are for who I wish I was, not who I actually am. I love Alex and Ani bracelets, but I don't wear jewelry. I love LuluLemon, but can't bring myself to pay their prices. I love to play with expensive makeups and skincare products, but can't be bothered to get up early enough to put on makeup or perform a nightly skincare routine. The me who wanders the high end malls is not the me who actually lives my day to day life. I feel like a big old fraud here, like I'm pretending to be wealthy  

You should do the Westin Maui, @Glory! Whaler's Village is the mall that I was at today and it's right by the hotel. That's on the Lahaina side -very hot and humid. 

5 hours ago, Pixel said:

You should do the Westin Maui, @Glory! Whaler's Village is the mall that I was at today and it's right by the hotel. That's on the Lahaina side -very hot and humid. 

Is there a good time to go that's not peak tourist season but also not hurricane time? I'm considering it!

On 4/10/2017 at 0:07 PM, King of Birds said:

And yeah, Pixel's in Hawaii without our permission! How dare she. 

@Pixel has my permission! In fact, I insist she have twice the fun, if possible, because I've been spending my days with my Dad in ICU (things seem to be improving, though) and I miss Hawai'i horribly, so have three times the fun so I can enjoy some of your leftovers vicariously!

5 hours ago, Babalu said:

@Pixel has my permission! In fact, I insist she have twice the fun, if possible, because I've been spending my days with my Dad in ICU (things seem to be improving, though) and I miss Hawai'i horribly, so have three times the fun so I can enjoy some of your leftovers vicariously!

Oh no, @Babalu! Did I miss this? I'm sorry about your dad, but glad to hear things are improving. 

I forgot how expensive Hawaii is. I see Babalu using the correct form, but I'm a little lazy. Anyway, holy shit! To make a long story short, I actually thought I could stretch out about $700 for the 4 of us for 7 days here, but it's  only Thursday night and I'm already up around $1500. Keep in mind our condo is paid for by my in laws, so the money I blow is all either fun or food. This total doesn't even include lodging.

Now, I did buy $300 worth of bamboo shirts because we love how soft they are, and we did have a $115 trip to urgent care for my son who got a raging ear infection even though he's 15, but still-I'm kicking myself for blowing so much money. I'm feeling very stupid for thinking this trip wouldn't cost much. I mean, what kind of dumbass thinks, "Where can I go for a cheap vacation? I know! Maui!"  Ugh. 

Two more days to go. I gotta stop feeling like ass or I'm not going to have any fun. Someone tell me that what's going to end up being $2000 for 7 days in Hawaii isn't that bad, so I can stop being all crabby at myself. 

5 hours ago, Pixel said:

Two more days to go. I gotta stop feeling like ass or I'm not going to have any fun. Someone tell me that what's going to end up being $2000 for 7 days in Hawaii isn't that bad, so I can stop being all crabby at myself. 

Not bad at all! Probably not nearly as much as I'd spend. :) Live it up!

So sorry to hear about your dad, @Babalu  I hope he recovers quickly! 

6 hours ago, Pixel said:

Oh no, @Babalu! Did I miss this? I'm sorry about your dad, but glad to hear things are improving. 

I forgot how expensive Hawaii is. I see Babalu using the correct form, but I'm a little lazy. Anyway, holy shit! To make a long story short, I actually thought I could stretch out about $700 for the 4 of us for 7 days here, but it's  only Thursday night and I'm already up around $1500. Keep in mind our condo is paid for by my in laws, so the money I blow is all either fun or food. This total doesn't even include lodging.

Now, I did buy $300 worth of bamboo shirts because we love how soft they are, and we did have a $115 trip to urgent care for my son who got a raging ear infection even though he's 15, but still-I'm kicking myself for blowing so much money. I'm feeling very stupid for thinking this trip wouldn't cost much. I mean, what kind of dumbass thinks, "Where can I go for a cheap vacation? I know! Maui!"  Ugh. 

We spent around a grand when we went to NYC last October for just a weekend. And that the lodging and show tickets were free, too. That was mostly food and incidentals. And I knew NYC was expensive but wow. It was a shock. So I don't think you should feel bad at all. 

• Love 1

2K is really not a lot at all. For my annual NYC trip (long Labor Day weekend) we'll spend 1000-1500 on hotel-- an equal amount on tennis tickets. And that's before buying a single meal or souvenir in the city.

I agree - $2000 for a family is not excessive at all, especially because you'll have lovely shirts and lovely memories as mementos.

Thanks for the good wishes about my Dad. He's had pneumonia and various infections and wasn't breathing on his own but is now recovering. He's almost 90 and hasn't been in good health for many years, so it's been a tough but not totally unexpected week.

Ooh! It's been quiet around here.

I got some landscaping done on my yard this weekend. Had all the big planting beds mulched and re-edged and then I pulled out all of the crap in the front yard that, I'm sure, looked nice at one point. But it was all filled with sticker bushes that made trimming them awful.

So, now I'm going to pick up a ton of new stuff to put in there. Any tips on low-maintenance plants to put in the front of my house? I know I'm going to put a bed of day lilies along the side of the house, but we have a covered front porch and then a bed in front of that and I want low to the ground stuff so I can sit on the porch and still see out of it. I know NOTHING about plants, so I'm hoping someone at the nursery will help me - but it's always nice to ask the internet about this stuff. I'm in zone 5 if that helps anyone!

This weekend we went to c2e2 - the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo. It's a blast and I saw so many great cosplays. I saw this Miss Frizzle and shouted and waved so hard you would have thought it was really a celebrity! LOL

Guts and I also saw Fate of the Furious this weekend and it was awesome. I love those stupid movies so hard. They make me happy. 

@Glory, I cannot help with landscaping, at all. I will say that I have had great luck with spiderwort. I've found that it looks pretty and doesn't require a whole lot of care. As for a small bush, I have no idea. Hydrangea maybe? I love the way they look but I don't think they're easy. Peonies are nice, too, and they are pretty easy and hardy, too. Bleeding heart maybe? Hostas are always a good choice, too. Lots of varieties and you can't kill them. 

The next movie we're going to see is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 for Mother's Day. Instead of doing a crowded brunch, the kids are taking the moms and grandmas to see Guardians and then we'll figure out a lunch or something later. Woo! But I do love a fun stupid movie. Red, The A-Team, etc. So much fun--escapism at its best.

Work related rant:

I just got back from a conference where my former boss was attending. We did not part on good terms. She came to my organization as a new CEO, decided to bring on new staff and I was let go. So-- it was totally within her rights, and it is normal for CEOs to make staff changes. I ended up finding a good job that paid significantly more, but the fact that I rebounded well doesn't mean I think of that particular event fondly.

So- I'm working as an exhibitor at this conference, schmoozing folks, and I see her making the rounds of the booths. I tell my colleague, who knows I'm trying to avoid this woman, that I'm 'getting coffee' and will be back shortly.

My former boss comes to our booth and inquires after me. My colleague, who is awesome, says (truthfully) that I'm her boss, I'm a great boss (maybe true) and she's learning a lot from me (possibly true?). Then texts me to say the coast is clear.

The ex-boss comes back later, during a conference exhibit crawl when she knows I'll be manning the booth. I mean, how can this interaction be anything but awkward? Why is she insisting this is happening, and in public? So I smile and politely ask about the speech she's giving. Which let's be honest-- I wrote for her-- she may update the numbers and change an anecdote or two-- but she's still using the speech I wrote. 

She didn't even ask about me or the work I'm doing. I have no idea why this needed to be a thing that happened. *blech*

3 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

She didn't even ask about me or the work I'm doing. I have no idea why this needed to be a thing that happened. *blech*

Ugh. That blows. Do you have any idea why she wanted to talk to you? There are a few people from my last job I would run so far from if they popped in "just to say hi." 

Do you have any idea why she wanted to talk to you?

No! She didn't say, I didn't ask, and as she didn't inquire about me-- I don't know what she wanted to gain from the interaction. The thing is, people from the job I found after getting let go were there-- I was happy to catch up with them- no awkwardness there. But, she fired me-- why the hell would I want to talk to her. 

That's super awkward and off-putting. I have always left on good terms at jobs, but I did once leave because I had the worst boss in the world and I think it would be pretty tense if I ever ran into her anywhere.  Hilarious that your colleague had nothing but good things to say about you. I bet that was disappointing for her. 

On 4/24/2017 at 9:02 AM, frenchtoast said:

@Glory, I cannot help with landscaping, at all. I will say that I have had great luck with spiderwort. I've found that it looks pretty and doesn't require a whole lot of care. As for a small bush, I have no idea. Hydrangea maybe? I love the way they look but I don't think they're easy. Peonies are nice, too, and they are pretty easy and hardy, too. Bleeding heart maybe? Hostas are always a good choice, too. Lots of varieties and you can't kill them. 

I went to a nice, big nursery last night and took pictures of lots of things I liked so I could start to map out the bed. 

I have peonies on one side of my house already, and they do really well, but the ants are a nuisance. 

I have taken a liking to Coral Bells. They come in this really pretty lime color and this dark purple that I think will look nice as a border. That's all I've got so far. Ha!

The siding folks are trying to take us for a ride and now I'm getting pissed as this was not supposed to cost us very much out of pocket since we're running it through insurance. Ugh. I hate adulting. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Glory said:

ETA - :(

I know. 

I have some dark purple coral bells. They're ok. I'm kind of meh on them. 

FYI, I don't post or check in here as much as I used to. If anyone in here is not already FB friends with me and wants to, please PM me and I'll give you my real name.