Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: 10

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Season 1 ends with the disappearance of Whitney causing Helen to scrutinize Noah and his relationship with Alison and her family. Meanwhile, Cole searches for answers at Lockhart Ranch; and Det. Jeffries makes significant progress on the case.

Wow.

Noah remembers Alison in a white dress standing in front of the porch...

Alison remembers Alison in a black blouse drinking beer in the back of the house.

I can't quite believe that Noah doesn't know about forensic accounting.

Whitney stating the obvious was awesome.  How could you cheat on your hot husband?  That's right, Joshua Jackson is the fucking dream! 

Also, am I supposed to be happy at the end that those two faithless fucks are together?  Rewarded, how sweet.  I wonder if the girlchild is Noah's? 

I think Allison is guilty for Scotty in some way, and Noah is covering for his piece. 

For a second, I actually thought Cole was going to kill himself so the showrunner could shock us by 86ing JJ. 

I felt so bad for Helen And Cole.  All they wanted was their spouses back, no matter how fucked it all was--marriage, man.

Edited by sunflower
  • Love 13

How dumb was Noah to wire the money into the mechanic's account. Not like the cops couldn't easily get a warrant for his bank records.

So I guess they got together and had a baby. Well I hope Helen and Cole get to be happier in the future without the cheaters in their lives.

Only time I agree with Whitney when she ask Allison why she slept with her dad when she had a hotter hubby at home.

• Love 7

So are we to believe that in Noah's memory, he beat the living shit out of Scotty at the ranch, but in Alison's memory, that never happened?

Someone needs to get those two CAT scans, pronto.

Alan Sepinwall's review of the finale has a response from Sarah Treem about why the memories from the ranch incident (and other memories) were so different.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/season-finale-review-the-affair-episode-10-its-my-life/

• Love 8

Until I see a paternity test on screen, no way I'm believing that kid belongs to Noah.

Alison has proven herself to be so fucked up and dedicated to her dream life with Noah, that I wouldn't put past her for a second to knowingly pass off another man's child as Noah's.  I also wouldn't put it past her to deliberately keep Cole out of this new child's life if he is the father as punishment for what she believes to be his part in Gabriel's death.  And I'm pretty sure she never told either Cole or Noah that she slept with Oscar and that this kid could be his too.

I don't like her.  All that talk about wanting to be alone. Yeah, right.

Hopefully Cole and/or Oscar were smart enough to ask for a paternity test when they found out she was pregnant.

Hell, Noah should have asked for one as well.  But, he has shown himself to be just as much as a delusional, selfish asshole as Alison.  He probably was sure, just sure, because of their great love that it had to be his kid.  Never mind that he knew Alison was still sleeping with Cole during all of this just like he was still sleeping with Helen.  

Whoever the father is, that kid is fucked.  Alison is a fucked up person through and through.  Noah as well.  I'm hoping the kid isn't Noah's because the two of them together are a toxic mix of selfishness and delusion.  Cole and Oscar aren't saints, but the kid might have a  better chance with either of them.  I'm reluctant to judge either of them too harshly until they are shown from someone else's perspective.  

Noah and Alison need another kid like they need a hole in their heads.  

• Love 8

This episode felt so underwhelming to me after last week's. I can't put my finger on it. I was never rooting for them, so of course I rolled my eyes when I saw that they were together and happy. I wonder how long it will be before they cheat on each other. I'd also agree that Noah is covering for Alison in some way, and that would make her worse because regardless of how Noah feels about him, she was his sister-in-law for a long time.

Of course, Noah would be a horn dog who'd fuck anything that moves upon his separation. I did find some glee when Noah got in trouble for fucking another teacher on school property.

I loved that MK burned Alison when she returned from her retreat. We also get to the bottom of why Alison and Cole failed. They blame the other for Gabriel's death. I believe Alison's version of events, regarding Whitney and Cole's eventual breakdown. That was painful to watch, right up there with Cole's confession.

• Love 3

our family had a gun pointed at them and you don't find it necessary at all to make sure that at least your daughter is ok? Disgusting excuse for a human being.

Well in Noah's version, Cole was defending his brother from being killed by Noah with Helen and Whitney no where near them.

In Allison's version, Cole was so crazed he was going to shoot either Helen, Whitney, Noah, Allison or himself until Allison stopped him.

I know it would be difficult to show a third version about what happens, but for once, I would like the real version of what happened so I can know who is the bigger delusional liar. I sense it would still be Noah.

• Love 6

So are we to believe that in Noah's memory, he beat the living shit out of Scotty at the ranch, but in Alison's memory, that never happened?

Someone needs to get those two CAT scans, pronto.

I know. 

I can forgive some memory differences but that one was pretty huge.  Heck, I could even forgive the memory differences if it took place in the same room with Noah and Alison just remembering different things about it but the differences here were just too big. 

One of the most redeeming features of this season has been the home lives of Noah and Alison.  Less interesting has been their affair so I'm somewhat dreading a second season focusing on their early days as a couple. 

Does this episode put to rest the notion that Oscar could be the daughter's father? 

Alan Sepinwall's review of the finale has a response from Sarah Treem about why the memories from the ranch incident (and other memories) were so different.

I had read that before I came here and sorry, Sarah, it just doesn't work for me.  I can buy memories diverging but not to the point that the only thing their memories of the incident had in common was the fact that Cole had pointed at a gun at Noah.  Yet everything else?  Outfits, setting, context, circumstances and people were all different? 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8

That was amazing.  And how bold to toss the "slightly different versions of the same scene -- you could almost say it's all just a matter of interpretation"  model up into the air and, well, take pot-shots at it.  

So if I read this right: the two suspects' two stories parted ways beyond repair around what happened at the ranch that day. Alison may have invented Cole's threatening Noah, Whitney and Helen, herself and himself to cover for Noah's actually assaulting Scotty.  Meanwhile Noah confessed to the assault, because he knew the videotape from the earlier Planned Parenthood attack was out there, and he believed that in this case as in that, his position as outraged father would be understood. 

• Love 2

Interesting theory, Pallas.

It's different from what Sarah Treem tells Alan Sepinwall in the link above, but I like your explanation at least as much as I like hers.

I'm not sure Noah is being arrested for murder at the end. It could easily be instead for obstruction of justice. Since that's what the detective has him dead-to-rights on.

• Love 2
So if I read this right: the two suspects' two stories parted ways beyond repair around what happened at the ranch that day. Alison may have invented Cole's threatening Noah, Whitney and Helen, herself and himself to cover for Noah's actually assaulting Scotty.  Meanwhile Noah confessed to the assault, because he knew the videotape from the earlier Planned Parenthood attack was out there, and he believed that in this case as in that, his position as outraged father would be understood. 

This would actually be a theory I could get behind except that Alison's interrogation ended a while ago.  It was Noah who they kept bringing back.  Alison's story today didn't seem like part of an interrogation. 

I like Sepinwall, but I's going to try to hold out on reading the article at least overnight...Again, the audacity of the showrunners saying, "Well, so what do you make of that!" really delighted me.

And I applaud your reasoning, Milburn Stone: they do have Noah on obstruction of justice.  Perhaps Jeffries has figured out that Noah is covering for someone.  

Something else that's interesting: we now know that Noah completed his second novel before the showdown at the ranch, and well before Scotty was killed.  We have just moved into events in the "present" that could not appear, even very much fictionalized, in his second book.  

• Love 1

I liked this episode now that it's over, but during it I just kept thinking to myself that they had a whole lot of 'splaining to do quickly.

I am letting myself buy Treem's excuse because this show already gives me a slight headache, and I don't want it to get worse. 

I honestly don't like any of the characters and yet I am terribly interested in how things turn out.  Good job show.

Edited by Mama No Life
  • Love 3

I also wouldn't put it past her to deliberately keep Cole out of this new child's life [...]

Not that I am defending Alison in any way, shape or form because I think she is an awful, completely unsympathetic character but... if a man pulled a gun on me and went crazy like that, I'd keep him out of our child's life no matter what. Period.

• Love 4
Wait...what? I missed that.

It was a small moment.  After tow truck guy left, the detective's administrative assistant told him that Steve was on the phone and that it was important.  When he picked up, he said "Hi, babe."

Wait...what? I missed that.

His assistant patched "Steve" in and the detective called him "baby" or something similar. 

EDIT: lol at all the same replies. I take it we all replied without refreshing? Haha. I love you guys <3

Edited by RococoChanel
  • Love 5

Not that I am defending Alison in any way, shape or form because I think she is an awful, completely unsympathetic character but... if a man pulled a gun on me and went crazy like that, I'd keep him out of our child's life no matter what. Period.

I see your point. . . if any of that actually happened.  

I'm of the opinion that it didn't.  I believe Noah's version of events was actually closer to the truth in that instance.

And while pulling a gun on someone isn't the best move, neither is anything Alison's done lately.  And just like I don't believe that Alison should be kept from her kid for anything she did before said kid existed, neither should Cole.  If he or Alison are good parents while still being shitty people, then she has no right to keep his kid from him.  Alison has treated him like shit all the way around and back again.  If that scene really went down the way Alison remembers, he was entitled to that moment in my opinion.  He has tried repeatedly to do the right thing by her and for her, but to no avail.  Most people would snap eventually.  Now if he had actually shot someone, then yeah, he most likely doesn't need to be around any kids.

Like I mentioned originally, this kid is going to be fucked in the parent department no matter what.  Alison has no moral ground to stand on really.

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 1

I'm not sure if I'm totally off base here but when Noah was being arrested Allison said I'll get you out of this or something along those lines and then 'you believe me, don't you?'. It just seemed like such an odd thing to say. It made me wonder if she's going to let him take the fall. They're married (I presume since he mentioned a wife) and now he has money. She got her kid and now she can leave and take half just like she planned to with Cole.

• Love 4
I'm not sure if I'm totally off base here but when Noah was being arrested Allison said I'll get you out of this or something along those lines and then 'you believe me, don't you?'. It just seemed like such an odd thing to say.

I also thought that it was an odd thing to say, and certainly a potentially significant one, given that the writing is tight and it was the last line of the last episode of the season.  I think it's something that the show will circle back to next season.

• Love 2

At this point, it's a toss-up who's the most fucked-up character on this show. All of these people need to be heavily medicated.

Noah's horndog antics were exasperating but not surprising. So much for his Twu Wuv Alison. He will fuck anything in a skirt.

Joshua Jackson is sex on legs so Whitney's question to Alison was understandable. Seriously, middle-aged father of four...or Joshua Jackson?

I'll chuckle if Noah and Alison's daughter has red hair. Also interested to see if the show will ever prove the old adage "If he'll cheat with you, he'll cheat on you." My guess is yes.

• Love 6

Proving yet again that I focus on all of the wrong things, what the heck was up with Alison's breasts in Noah's memory of the ranch scene?  Her left breast kept moving in and out from her breastbone.  That is one odd bra she was wearing.

The scene with the publicist was disgusting.  I am not as incensed about the idea of a married person having an affair as most of the people on this board, but hearing that asshole basically telling Noah that he was living the best life possible by leaving his wife and children was over the top.  

• Love 7

Does this make two scenes in which Alison remembers that she saved someone?  First, she saved Noah's daughter (although Noah's version shows her being there, not saving the child).  Now she talks Cole out of shooting Noah and potentially members of his family.  Those were two incredibly disparate views of the same situation.  

• Love 1

Yes, Joshua Jackson is hot. But he's the weakest actor in this cast, by far. He can show anger by raising his voice, but he really doesn't express any emotions. Ever. Even when pointing a gun at, well, a number of people, incl. himself.

I never watched Dawson's Creek, so sorry if this offends! I thought it just stood out, cuz everyone else is so good.

• Love 11

The part that stuck out for me was that Helen didn't want all those stupid kids and now she's saddled with them thanks to Noah.  Although, to be fair, she wanted to stop at two and the first two are definitely the shittiest of the lot from what we've seen.  

• Love 3

A while after I've watched my reaction is still holy shit, wow, that was good. This proved why this show propelled itself into my top 5, if I may say so myself. The writing is so good that it answered some questions indirectly. I'll briefly mention them. I always had a sneaky suspicion that Alison's kid might be Whitney's but that would've been so soapy I don't even ... still the suspicion had lingered. But it's been 4 months since the discovery of the then 3 month old pregnancy. So there's no Whitney's baby bouncing around somewhere. The same timeline might answer questions about whether it's Oscar or Cole's. So basically, it's Noah's daughter.

That kitchen scene was so messed up. You fucked my wife. Your brother fucked my daughter. You, don't stare at him. Even Cherry was off balance. But when it mattered these actors rose above the soapiness and delivered. It was nice to actually see Cole truly expressing his love-turned-rage at Alison, he's been peppering over the cracks of his marriage for so long. 

Only time I agree with Whitney when she ask Allison why she slept with her dad when she had a hotter hubby at home.

Maybe because the hotter hubby at home always reminded her of her dead son?

That was amazing.  And how bold to toss the "slightly different versions of the same scene -- you could almost say it's all just a matter of interpretation"  model up into the air and, well, take pot-shots at it.  

I think Sarah Treem's explanation makes sense, it's what I had in mind before I read her official line. Basically, Noah's POV ends with Cole pulling a gun, I bet from then he's got the same memory as Alison afterwards, with slight differences. Milburn Stone and I discussed this a few weeks ago and we agreed (though others might beg to differ) that in this instance, say, if you queried Alison about Scotty she'd agree he was there, it's just not her first impression of that incident. Everything else, like location, clothes, exact words etc. would just be memories susceptible to the vagaries of time.

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 1

I will assume Alison's daughter is Noah's until the show says otherwise. It was stated that Cole and Alison hadn't seen each other in 4 months. And considering she was hanging out with her mother, I doubt she'd have any opportunity or reason to sleep with Oscar again. During the confrontation at the ranch, she certainly did not look 4 months pregnant. And from the looks of things, soon after everyone's meltdown in the kitchen she and Noah started up again.

I find it interesting that Cherry defended Alison to Helen (in Noah's recollection) even after the hateful things she said to Alison the last time they saw each other. Guess she still considered Alison family even after she'd left Cole hanging for 4 months. 

I still think it's possible Noah is covering for Alison having some involvement in Scotty's death, but after tonight's episode I suspect he may actually be covering for Whitney. For whatever reason, Whitney wanted to protect Scotty from her parents and the law. I could see her fooling herself into believing they had something special and when he callously dismisses her (because he is an asshole), she wanted revenge. 

Helen disappointed me by asking Noah to return to her even after he mother's PI told her Noah was still screwing women during their separation. I get that she was feeling lonely & overwhelmed being a single parent to 4 brats but I wanted her to stick to her guns and cut Noah out of her life. And what the hell was the "rubber room" Helen referred to?

The detective cracks me up. Telling Alison & Noah lies about his non-existent wife and children only for us to learn he's actually gay. I like his game. Finally someone who makes these 2 cheating assholes squirm.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 4

I think I'm the only one who's happy because they ended up together. I knew it since episode 1. I enjoyed the finale, Ruth and Maura owned it. I think that the kid is actually Noah's daughter but I don't see him as the killer. There must be something behind all of this. The way they look at each other when the detective knocks at the door is kinda scary. What the f---k did they do?

Edited by baky
  • Love 3

Ugh, Cole's an asshole.  Yeah, pulling out a gun always solves things, how American.   I was hoping he would shoot himself. 

So who is the father of Alison's child?  

The scene with the publicist was disgusting.  I am not as incensed about the idea of a married person having an affair as most of the people on this board, but hearing that asshole basically telling Noah that he was living the best life possible by leaving his wife and children was over the top.

I think that was a version of "the grass is greener."  To the publicist  it's great not to have anybody to ask you things, to be able to do whatever you want.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

Yup. Someone said "Steve is on the phone. It's urgent." When he answered, he said "What's up, babe?"

I worked for an old school, NY'er at one point and he would always say, "Hey, babe" when picking up the phone, even when it was a guy. Are we sure this isn't just that? I remembered the Detective saying that because it made me think of my old boss.

• Love 1

Vaguely disappointed that the end game is to validate and reward cheating. Hope Season 2 does not degenerate into showcasing the cliched bitterness of discarded spouses. As much as I would love to see Maura Tierney chew that scenery, I really don't want to see the narrative of the overused spiteful, scorned ex-wife versus the angelic vision in white of Alison.

• Love 4