Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Behind The Shield Wall

radishcake
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I enjoyed them.  But I just read recaps, I don't reply over there.  I think only of the forums section for replying.  Multi-tasking on this site is beyond me.  :-)

There should be a link directly to Vikings recap from the Vikings forum I think.  One click viewing to help channel traffic.  Because my bookmark is simply set to this site's main forum page.  I forget about the recap section otherwise.  Especially since there wasn't any recent additions.  (Because there was no traffic causing no recent additions ... Catch-22?).

• Love 1

No one seems to care about them so I stopped.

I cared!! (and still care)

Should the traffic in this forum pick up, any chance you'll start back with the recaps?  If there's anything I can do to help or contribute, definitely let me know!

• Love 1

Hi! I just finished Season 1 and started Season 2, so I thought I'd join.  Interestingly, I first found this show while on the plane (it was the most attractive show available).  Nice to be here!

Hi fellow warriors,  I hope I'm behind the correct shield wall to ask this question. 

Can anybody PM me (or answer here) as to HOW I can get season 1 episodes via internet/online etc .?   I mean in a hand holding type manner, because unfortunately I am pretty technically challenged.    I have Direct TV and I saw there were some season 1 epsiodes ON DEMAND, and I managed to watch a few of the episodes (they were NOT in order....anyways now they are gone and I'm so mad I didn't download them !!!

I'd sacrifice myself to the Gods to be able to watch season 1 in it's entirety.    Help !!  Thanks in advance !!

Well , thanks to Maraleia I'm binge watching Vikings this weekend! I got my Apple TV - downloaded season 1, bought alot of ale- soooo bring on the raiding & fun times - woohoooo !

Does anyone know when/if they're going to release a soundtrack for season 2? I bought the soundtrack to the first season on iTunes and I really like it. I've been waiting (im)patiently for the second season soundtrack to show up on iTunes or Amazon or anywhere, really, and I can't find it! I can usually at least look it up on Amazon and it'll be there with an upcoming release date, but I haven't even been able to find that.

Not sure where to post this, but I must share the startling discovery I just made.  I've been doing genealogy on ancestry.com and have traced my father's line back to 433 AD in Ireland.  I then went back to the Viking period ancestors in that line, and LO AND BEHOLD, there were Ragnar Lodbrok and Aslang (correct spelling, apparently)!  They are my 36th great-grandparents by way of Ivar the Boneless.

What do I do with that info???  I'm a Southern girl in Florida LOL.

• Love 6

Not sure where to post this, but I must share the startling discovery I just made.  I've been doing genealogy on ancestry.com and have traced my father's line back to 433 AD in Ireland.  I then went back to the Viking period ancestors in that line, and LO AND BEHOLD, there were Ragnar Lodbrok and Aslang (correct spelling, apparently)!  They are my 36th great-grandparents by way of Ivar the Boneless.

Congrats.  What do you do?  Well you could tune in next season and see what your relatives are up to?  Also looks like Aslaug finally has a fan on these forums, hah.  And don't forget to be first on these boards to start the Ivar the Boneless Fan Club.

• Love 1
(edited)

Why did Vikings get moved to the hidden zone that no one ever finds?  (It really really isn't clear where these shows are.  There should be a big, colored button that says "look here" or something for the simple minded like me).

Anyway Vikings isn't cancelled and the filming is either beginning or about to begin for Season 3.  I mean if every show was removed during the summer shouldn't stuff like old network shows like all the NCIS: Whatevers or fellow cable shows like Bates Motel or reality shows like The Amazing Race and Survivor be moved too? 

Now I don't want all these shows moved into The Black Hole of Great Hiding.  Just want Vikings returned to the land of the living (non-cancelled) is all.  Because otherwise, you know, Ragnar could get upset.  Very upset.  And just ask Jarl Borg if that is a good idea.  Just sayin', heh.

Edited by green

I don't know how you find the shows, green, but I have a big blue MY SHOWS button that list all the shows I follow on this site. Once I find the forum for a show I like I follow it and it goes into MY SHOWS...

There is also a search bar on the top of the forum list that should pull up any show you're looking for, if a forum exists for it.

I'm enjoying reading the tweets of George Blagden, Clive Standen and Katheryn Winnick (Athelstan, Rollo, and Lagertha).  They give a little insight on the costuming and filming that began this week.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know how you find the shows, green, but I have a big blue MY SHOWS button that list all the shows I follow on this site. Once I find the forum for a show I like I follow it and it goes into MY SHOWS...

There is also a search bar on the top of the forum list that should pull up any show you're looking for, if a forum exists for it.

I know about MY SHOWS.  It's the only reason I could find this forum again.  But it is the only show I use that feature for.  I usually just bookmark FORUMS period since I find that the handiest page to use on this site.  So I was pretty surprised Vikings had gone walkabout.  It seemed weird that Vikings was the only non-golden oldie or non-cancelled show to go missing whereas all the other shows were still there.  Makes it hard for a new person arriving on site here to even know Vikings is included here period.  Even more odd since filming is beginning so the show stuff is very active right now.

Also I know about how to track a show down but it is an extra click step to find it.  I just find the SHOWS page weird and avoid it like the plague period and if I want to see anything about a particular show outside the frum for that series, I get to that series' "shows" section via the forum for it.  Like I said, FORUMS just has every other single show I know of listed.  Only Vikings is missing.  Found that very bizarre.

And Babalooie, I think the real reason you are reading the tweets is to keep up with your family.  How's your great-great-great whatever Ivar the Boneless doing these days anyway?  Pillage anywhere this past week?

Edited by green

Grandpa Ivar is about the same as he was yesterday and last year and last millenium - doesn't get around much any more.   ;)  Oh, wait...he never did get around too much on his own.

• Love 2

^  LOL.

Hey I just got Season 1 of Vikings on DVD (yeah I'm still a technology behind, no Blu-Ray for me).  Which made me think some (ouch that hurts).  When is Season 2 due out?  Anyone know?

I still can't find any word on a DVD release date for season 2, but I wanted to let everyone know the soundtrack for season 2 is available on iTunes now. I work as a teaching assistant at a university and I like to listen to Vikings soundtracks while grading papers. My students should probably be a little bit scared.

Hi there ! Fellow Vikings fan ! 

Not much to say for the moment, but I will be more active when the show airs back (or along news coming on !)

SHIELD WALL !!!!!

• Love 2

A public thank you to David T. Cole here returning Vikings to the main forum.  I messaged him tonight and he was gracious enough to get the show back onto the main forum listing within minutes.

• Love 1

Hello, cousin Babalooie. I've been doing my family genealogy for about a year. I'm also descended from Ragnar thru his son, Halfdan (White Shirt). Did you know that the name of the Viking mascot for the NFL Minnesota Vikings is Ragnar Lodbrok?

• Love 1

INA123, nice to meet a cuz here.  Cool about the Vikings mascot.  When were at Epcot for the final week before Maelstrom closed to make way for Frozen, we rode it for the final time.  I was in a silly mood and asked the Norwegian guy working the attraction if he had seen Ragnar.  He looked at me like I was crazy, either because he didn't understand my Southern accent or because Ragnar was Danish.  Actually, though, he finally did understand.  He didn't have much of a sense of humor., though.

I'm wondering if anyone has some recommendations for books that are similar in nature to the show, i.e. medieval warring clans, but not goofy or aimed for teens.

My first choice is the obvious, A Song of Ice and Fire, which can be slow at times but is otherwise awesome. My second is Bounds of Redemption which is another great series. It even has a race of people called Galatai which are very viking-like complete with the raping, plunder, pillage and going up against more civilized kingdoms that grossly outnumber them. What I'm really looking for are more books that have cool Ragnar type characters, who are smart, funny, and don't hesitate to kill. I'm sick of books that try to make the "good" guy so good that he never takes a life.

Any other suggestions? We could start a list.

This final week leading up to the Season 3 premiere on Thursday night is crawling.  Seconds even seem slower.

For anyone that doesn't have Vikings on DVD, BluRay, or DVR'd, the History Channel will be airing Season 2 in its entirety on Tuesday (February 17th) beginning at 2:00 pm EST.

Hi all! I just caught up on all the episodes and am ready for Season3.  What a find this show has been. I watched the first season on Amazon last spring, noticed in December the 2nd one was available and convinced my husband to join me. Well now we are both obsessed. 

Our favorite shows are The Walking Dead, GoT and Outlander. I have to say that we both think this might be the best of them all.  Maybe it's because it's not really bound to a source material. It's fast paced and never dull. Only problem now will be waiting a week for each episode!

Hi all! I just caught up on all the episodes and am ready for Season3.  What a find this show has been. I watched the first season on Amazon last spring, noticed in December the 2nd one was available and convinced my husband to join me. Well now we are both obsessed. 

Our favorite shows are The Walking Dead, GoT and Outlander. I have to say that we both think this might be the best of them all.  Maybe it's because it's not really bound to a source material. It's fast paced and never dull. Only problem now will be waiting a week for each episode!

Or maybe because it is bound to a source material in that a lot of the stuff you see did indeed happen.  It is historical FICTION but it is also HISTORICAL fiction if you know what I mean. 

If you look on Wikipedia for some of these characters you will see.  Ragnar is sometimes considered a construct of a man named Ragnar plus several others though Scandinavians consider him one man only.  Legertha  was a very real person.  Bjorn was too.  Ivan the Boneless and his mother were.  Kings Eckbert, Horik, Allela were.  Floki, Rollo and Athelstan have been "inspired" by real persons and real research though fictionalized.  The first raid on the monastery happened which caused western historians to declare the official "Age of the Vikings" to begin at that point.  So did the other raids for that matter but the first raid did indeed "change everything forever" as Ragnar predicted.

This season looks like it keeps the same generation but moves the actually history timeline forward maybe 20 years or more.  Why switch out really good actors we all love at this point you know.  Eventually if the show continues we will have to but not now.

When drama is based on real stuff it gives it an extra "pop" I feel.  Right up your spine.  This could have been a relative of yours are mine fighting beside Ragnar or being killed by him.

Welcome aboard btw.  Looking forward to your comments as the season begins.  Let us get this Vikings board rocking this season!

PS:  I think I managed to spell everyone wrong but Ragnar.  It's still spring training with the spelling of names so far.  Sorry.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

Because of my whacked out, stupid schedule, I probably won't be back to this forum joining in the pillaging and plundering\, until Saturday.

But enjoy everyone, I'll be thinking of you all whilst drinking my ale and watching behind the shield wall.

• Love 2

Hi and greetings, I am just getting to the end of season 2 of this great show and looking around for a forum to share my theory of where this could go, hopefully I found it.

Dz

• Love 1

Hi and greetings, I am just getting to the end of season 2 of this great show and looking around for a forum to share my theory of where this could go, hopefully I found it.

Dz

Welcome aboard.  It's friendly behind ye olde shield wall.

• Love 1

Wanted to stop by and say "Hi" I'm an old MBTV, TWoP reader and I'm thrilled to find this place! My DH and I love this show, along with "Breaking Bad" and (don't judge me) "Supernatural". I hope I can contribute something to this site, and don't make too much of a fool of myself!